Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > When Photoshop Goes to far?

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

When do you think ethically we should stop at photoshop'ing an image? Especially in a culture where a lot of naive woman aspire to a look that cant be matched.

May 24 09 04:56 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

When the models partner/parents whoever does'nt recognise him/her from the final images.

Or when the model walks into the studio and you don't recognise her from his/her pic's.

May 24 09 05:00 am Link

Photographer

STANJOHNSON

Detroit, Michigan, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:
When do you think ethically we should stop at photoshop'ing an image? Especially in a culture where a lot of naive woman aspire to a look that cant be matched.

that's the business of the beast.........

May 24 09 05:02 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Photoshop or not... Not every woman can be 5'10" 105 lbs and match the skin of a 15 year old. This has been an issue long before photoshop... retouchers are only one part of the process.

May 24 09 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

When corsets, makeup, high heels, colored contact lenses, false eyelashes, and wigs are prohibited?

When the starting point for images isn't based on a model who is representative of less than .001% of the population even before makeup, styling, or anything else?

May 24 09 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Photography by John

Prescott, Arizona, US

I don't know if editing can go too far - it can however, go wrong....

May 24 09 05:22 am Link

Model

Courtney Starrburst

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Photoshop doesn't go to far. People do.

LOL. It's just art.  The standards will change. It's a part of life.

May 24 09 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Blakberi Photography

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Kevin Connery wrote:

When corsets, makeup, high heels, colored contact lenses, false eyelashes, and wigs are prohibited?

When the starting point for images isn't based on a model who is representative of less than .001% of the population even before makeup, styling, or anything else?

word

May 24 09 05:32 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

When it causes problems for the subject because they are not as they appear.

May 24 09 06:04 am Link

Photographer

SunArcher Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

When the client says to. Period. The aspirations of "lots of naive women" are generally of no concern to a client (including if that client is the model/subject). They want what they want. We either give it to them, they go somewhere else to get it, or they decide not to want it anymore.

Kevin Connery wrote:

Co-sign.

Kevin Connery wrote:

Word.

May 24 09 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't think you can ever go too far, the mere mention of that as an endpoint is a limitation. If in the end, you have pushed a picture to the point of containing one dark pixel in a canvas of white pixels, revel in the fact that you have one more pixel to play with.

May 24 09 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

As some glamour photographers told me - "I give them what they want". If models wants over-Photoshoped photos that doesn't even look like them, that is the responsibility of models - not the photographers.

May 24 09 07:06 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Robert Randall wrote:
I don't think you can ever go too far, the mere mention of that as an endpoint is a limitation. If in the end, you have pushed a picture to the point of containing one dark pixel in a canvas of white pixels, revel in the fact that you have one more pixel to play with.

That's to the point when a client has no idea what the difference is between good work and bad work but pays.
We have all probably seen mags with poor retouching work.
As the post above in regards to glamour models ' give them what they want'.

May 24 09 07:27 am Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

Insecurities aren't caused by photoshop, the insecurities were there in the first place. It's women who need to see that it's not real, it's just art.

How do you think people felt when the statue of venus was unveiled?

People are insecure in themselves, so why should i care enough to limit how much i photoshop an image?

May 24 09 07:53 am Link

Photographer

WIP

With reference to models , is it what models want to see (insecurity) 'give them what they want' or the retouchers interpretation of what he/she would like to see on the final art work ?

Is there a compromise, middle ground ?

May 24 09 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Duane Allen Rusty Halo

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Photography by John wrote:

true eveeeer sooo true

May 24 09 08:47 am Link

Photographer

AUTONOMY

Robert Randall wrote:

I think I'm going to cry.

May 24 09 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Dreamscape Creative

Charleston, South Carolina, US

There isn't anything unethical about retouching someone to the point where they look like a bag of bones.  If people really think they need to look like that, I think there's something they need to address in their lives, and it's not their physical appearance.

But I personally won't manipulate an image that far.  I do want to help cultivate a culture where a healthier body is something to have, but not to the degree where the poor people look like they're not getting enough to eat.  It's pretty absurd that ever got to be popular in the first place.

May 24 09 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Robert Randall wrote:

ha!! +1 on that

May 24 09 09:10 am Link

Retoucher

BodyDoc Retoucher

Harrisburg, Arkansas, US

Given the pure intravenous media saturation we are under, we are becoming desensitized to reality as a whole.

Why do movies have special effects which are obviously not real ? We don't want to see real. It's boring.

Take a beautiful model. Perfect in (almost) every way but she hates.. her nose.. You adjust her nose, and suddenly she's happy, and everyone looking at the image is happy.

Photoshop is a digital plastic surgery but it's way more in-depth than that.

I came from a drawing and painting background and the digital playground in making a photo my own after the fact is pure excitement because I am the only limitation to that work.

Some say that doesn't make me a photographer anymore.. Fine with me.. I hate labels anyway.

May 24 09 09:14 am Link

Retoucher

Midas Post-production

London, England, United Kingdom

If she was perfect in everyway you wouldn't have to fix her nose?

But you are right, reality is a bore.

BodyDoc Retoucher wrote:
Given the pure intravenous media saturation we are under, we are becoming desensitized to reality as a whole.

Why do movies have special effects which are obviously not real ? We don't want to see real. It's boring.

Take a beautiful model. Perfect in (almost) every way but she hates.. her nose.. You adjust her nose, and suddenly she's happy, and everyone looking at the image is happy.

I came from a drawing and painting background and the digital playground in making a photo my own after the fact is pure excitement because I am the only limitation to that work.

Some say that doesn't make me a photographer anymore.. Fine with me.. I hate labels anyway.

May 24 09 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Dreamscape Creative

Charleston, South Carolina, US

BodyDoc Retoucher wrote:

I believe the vast majority of the famous photographers manipulated their photos, as well.  They may not have done it digitally, but they did it, all the same.

May 24 09 09:21 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:
When do you think ethically we should stop at photoshop'ing an image?

Same as when we should stop manipulating a print in the darkroom - when it's done.

May 24 09 09:32 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

I try not to limit myself because of the "naive".  I will cease editing when I decide not based on the unrealistic goals of naive women.  Everyone has choices in life and if theirs it based solely on the physical I blame their upbringing rather than pictures.

May 24 09 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Hassy501

If the creator of the piece is happy with it, and it's HIS work, who's to say when to stop.....isn't that what creating art is all about ? I guess he could stop if his pc or mac crashes ??

May 24 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:
... ethically ... Especially in a culture where a lot of naive woman aspire to a look that cant be matched.

Also, it really pisses me off when people suggest that the basis for my ethics should be to make up for other peoples' irresponsible choices.

May 24 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

WIP

I tend to as others get absorbed in this retouching forum hysteria. Reading the forums where the guru's are giving advice and then have a little play with what some have suggested.

And then.....dump it all as I pick up a book of images by R. Avedon.
How much or who retouched his images made them work as there's no obvious retouch. To me that is retouching.

May 24 09 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Renaud Lucas

Miami, Florida, US

when they start charging $1000 for the software!!! smile

May 24 09 02:49 pm Link

Model

Dove KT

Tacoma, Washington, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

When the client says, "hey, what the hell is that?"  For trade work with a model, that can be when her skin looks plastic or her measurements changed from 32-27-35 to 40-23-35 (or, that could be what she wants).  For many fashion magazines, that won't be until the model is, in their eyes, "perfect."

*shrugs*

Demands of the industry.

May 24 09 02:53 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Barker

Houston, Arkansas, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

We Have A Winner ... wink

May 24 09 02:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Glamour Retouch

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

I agree

May 24 09 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tonic Dog Studios

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

When the next photographer has to over-PS the model to get him/her to look like the model's port.  (ie, false advertising).

Some models need a disclaimer: "I need heavy PS to fully function as advertised."  (as do some photogs...smile)

May 24 09 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tonic Dog Studios wrote:

When the next photographer has to over-PS the model to get him/her to look like the model's port.  (ie, false advertising).

Some models need a disclaimer: "I need heavy PS to fully function as advertised."  (as do some photogs...smile)

Nah.. that just means the model should have an unretouched head shot/body shot on her profile.

Bad on the next photographer for not checking references/asking pertinent questions.

May 24 09 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

GavinJPhoto

Spokane, Washington, US

The best art comes from the heart

May 24 09 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Robert Randall wrote:

AUTONOMY wrote:
I think I'm going to cry.

Tears of emotion!

May 24 09 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

Ethically?  I'd say when someone either dies or gets seriously injured from it.

Because unless Photoshop actually puts someone in the hospital it's just a creative choice.

May 24 09 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

greg desiatov

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Photography by John wrote:

Spot on!

May 24 09 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

MisterC

Portland, Oregon, US

Andrew Chorley wrote:

Didn't know PS had ethics. Thought it was art.

"Uh, Mr Picasso, her eyes don't look like that in real life..."

May 24 09 04:50 pm Link

Retoucher

CS Toledo

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

BodyDoc Retoucher wrote:

My thoughts exactly - labels! My dilemma, when I was signing up here in MM, was whether to join as "Photographer" or "Photoshop Wizard". I chose the latter since I know I can't help photochopping heavily(I came from a drawing background too). However, I'm constantly striving hard to leave as little mark/trace as possible that the photo has been retouched.

Anyway, to answer the question, I think photochopping has gone overboard when it was done sloppily. No matter how much it was retouched, as long as it looks right (also ask for others' opinion. LOL.) and you (plus others) love it then go for it. Beauty is subjective anyway. And yes, you don't tell Picasso his painting doesn't look the same as the subject. wink

Photoshop gives us great power to convert our ideas into terms, not hinder and limit it. You can play with it, experiment with it, or even mess with it. But just burn the evidence that you did and unveil your master piece. It has just to be used the right way because with great power comes great responsibility (I know!!! LOL).

P.S. just my two cents (hurray! I finally used this phrase!)

May 24 09 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

When the person picking up the tab says it's too far.

May 24 09 08:21 pm Link