Photographer

B Browder Photo

Charleston, South Carolina, US

My first post in the new forum smile

Any tricks you pros can give me for replacing the sky in a photo?  Mainly a trick for intersecting the new sky with trees?   I have a shot of the sky I want to use but I was wondering if there are any short cuts for blending  it with trees in the background.  FYI if you need to know the original sky is blown out.

Thanks

May 26 09 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Foto

Alberschwende, Vorarlberg, Austria

I seem to recall seeing something along those lines on the Russel Brown web site a few years back. Have a poke around.

http://www.russellbrown.com/

May 26 09 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

What are the odds of seeing the image?

The odds are you can do it with blending modes if the entire sky is totally blown out, but without the image being up it's only a guess.

May 26 09 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

A slice of oblivion wrote:
What are the odds of seeing the image?

The odds are you can do it with blending modes if the entire sky is totally blown out, but without the image being up it's only a guess.

Ok I can put it up.

EDIT:  This is a small version of it.  Like I said I have a shot of the sky but I don't have to use that sky.

https://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii472/bernieBsc/CRW_1518sm3.jpg

May 26 09 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

I've done it before with blending modes, but now that I'm trying it... I just can't find that magic combination.

Maybe try dropping in a curves adjustment layer, darkening the whole thing so that only the sky is visible (or mostly), then CTRL/COMD+ click the RGB channel to create a selection.  Use that selection to create a mask on the new sky layer and then turn off the curves layer.  You will still need to go in and do some manual brushwork, but that should get you most of the way there.

May 26 09 02:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Blend-If sliders in the Layer Style's Blending Option dialog are a great way to get close very quickly, especially if the sky is entirely blown out: Blend-if based on gray.

Use of channel-based masks can also work well.

But it still comes down to attention to detail, and proper edge handling.

May 26 09 02:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Pedro P Polakoff III

Fairfax, Virginia, US

I would select the blown out sky using the least amount of spread that gives you the bulk of the sky and create a mask from the selection.  Paint in the areas around the trees with 10% opacity with 30% flow using a high magnification.  Reverse the mask and drop the new sky in as a layer behind it.

May 26 09 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

The real struggle will be around the trees. Lots of layers and blending to keep it from looking cut out. And probably some hand drawing of leaves and branches over the composite to add little details.

May 26 09 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Don't laugh but I did try it in the most simple way.  I outlined the the sky and all around the top of the sculpture.  The clouds had formed back and I shot a sample of the sky from the same day and location for something to replace.

After I outlined the top of the photo and around the trees I just painted-cloned the sky in that area I did some tweaking around the trees and the sculpture.  It was quick so I know it probably sucks.

https://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii472/bernieBsc/CRW_1518sm5.jpg

May 27 09 04:39 am Link

Retoucher

PixelAlter

Clayton, North Carolina, US

Just a quick glance at the edited version... Over the statue of the female, in the trees, you can see the white between the branches that was not replaced with the new sky.

May 27 09 06:48 am Link

Retoucher

Pedro P Polakoff III

Fairfax, Virginia, US

This would have been a good place to shoot for HDR with bracketed exposures from the same point of reference.

May 27 09 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Bryson Photography

Hollywood, Florida, US

Pedro P Polakoff III wrote:
This would have been a good place to shoot for HDR with bracketed exposures from the same point of reference.

You read my mind. wink

May 27 09 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

B Browder Photo

Pedro P Polakoff III wrote:

True I did think of doing that but its a public sculpture garden(s) and you can't tell from that shot but there are people walking around there all the time.  It would have been difficult.  However the sky was still blown out no matter what.

May 27 09 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

SoCal Digital Images

Fontana, California, US

Take a look at ONone Mask Pro it is amazing what you can do with it.

May 27 09 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

Green trees against a white sky...check your channels...I bet you'll see a nice mask there to use....it's so white you can probably copy paste the best channel into a new layer, multipy it and you'll have the mask you need...

May 29 09 06:59 am Link