Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Rates for stock photo retouching

Model

Model Delicate

Hi,

I just got an offer to retouch stock photos and i was wondering if there is any regular rate.

It's 200 photos a month and there wouldn't be too much retouching work to do... just cleaning the background, skin and maybe some basic corrections.

I only did proper beauty and fashion retouching so far and no mass retouching, that's why i am not sure how much i can take for that job.

What would be a fair price?

Many thanks,

Nadine

May 26 09 01:56 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

Warrington, England, United Kingdom

If it would be a regular job you can rely on then you can afford to go in really competative with a lean £2.50 per pic, over the month that'll get you £500
not too shabby if you have other income.
200 pics a month aint bad and worth keeping them from looking elsewhere.

6 images per day
50 per week
it's almost like a part time job so i'd look at it as a fair compensation.

May 26 09 02:08 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

Thank you very much. This helps a lot.
I was also thinking about 2.50 per image... that is a really good price i guess.

I really need this job so i didn't wanna scare him off by taking silly amounts of money smile

Thanks a lot again.

Nadine

May 26 09 02:20 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

No problem, They should compensate for the amount of time it will take,
The only other way is editing on-site at an hourly rate and they'll know they won't want to pay anyone that much! smile

May 26 09 02:24 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

Hehe, that's true.
I generally take around £40 per hour... and even that is quite cheap isn't it?
It would still be a lot more expensive than £2.50 per picture smile

May 26 09 02:29 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

Reasonable for London. yes.
I run a post production audio studio up here as my day job,
my rate in studio is £50 per hour for album mastering,
I freelance the album art at home on a project basis £250-£500 per album packaging.
That's why i do free deals on here, just for fun and to open up to a new client base, always busy.
Hope you get the job, let me know if you do! smile

May 26 09 02:40 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

Ohhh your job sounds great. I did film post production for a while smile
I am from Germany and want to move to London as soon as possible... i would prefer to find a permanent job as a photo retoucher or media designer but it's not so easy at the moment.
Freelancing is a great way to do the jobs you really love to do... but it's also very stressful to make sure that you have enough jobs every month.

I wish you loads of luck with your audio studio and will let you know if i got the job. Thanks a lot again for your help smile

May 26 09 02:54 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

keep your eye on
http://jobs.printweek.com/
for jobs in london, might find something there.

May 26 09 02:59 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

Thanks a lot again.
I keep on applying and stay positive smile

Your work is really good by the way.

Many thanks and have a great night,

Nadine

May 26 09 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

Have you seen samples of what you need to do, if I were you, I'd say that you will do a sample 10 for £2.50 each and keep records of how long you spend on it. £2.50 may be OK for 10 minutes work but not for 1/2 hour. 
Every picture will be different and if it only easy/light work why does the photographer not do it themselves?

May 26 09 03:06 pm Link

Retoucher

Glamour Retouch

Columbia, South Carolina, US

TA Craft Photography wrote:
Have you seen samples of what you need to do, if I were you, I'd say that you will do a sample 10 for £2.50 each and keep records of how long you spend on it. £2.50 may be OK for 10 minutes work but not for 1/2 hour. 
Every picture will be different and if it only easy/light work why does the photographer not do it themselves?

Good advice and excellent question.

May 26 09 03:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

$2.50 an image? Are you crazy? You need to at least see a sample of what kind of work will need to be done. You'd be better off getting a part time job and would have less headaches if its money you need.

I'd say $10.00 per image was extremely cheap. hmm

May 26 09 03:14 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

A professional stock photographer would probably shoot around 200+ images per session / location if they could and leave the editing to the agency they are submitting to, let them sort out which they want to use in there stock collection.

May 26 09 03:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

I do a lot of stock retouching for stock photographers.

I did a sample image first to make sure my retouching was what they were looking for or at their level (if they retouched their own stock before) then I would recieve a payment on a monthly basis of around £500 $750 and we would both sign contracts to make sure the work was done and payments were not reversed as they are always sent beforehand, the payment all depends on how many images they want retouched on average and how many they were shooting as I normally took over their retouching as they wanted to shoot more and retouch less.. I could be doing 10 images per photographer on an average day.

I wouldn't retouch for cheap (£2.50) per stock photo as it is a on-going job.. I would charge monthly. Atleast $200+.

May 26 09 03:15 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

btdsgn wrote:
$2.50 an image? Are you crazy? You need to at least see a sample of what kind of work will need to be done. You'd be better off getting a part time job and would have less headaches if its money you need.

I'd say $10.00 per image was extremely cheap. hmm

£ not $
and it would be bulk work so it aint too bad if it's regular,
stick to a high price for one offs by all means, but people kill for contract work.
better to have it than not.

May 26 09 03:19 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

Elite Digital Design wrote:
I do a lot of stock retouching for stock photographers.

I did a sample image first to make sure my retouching was what they were looking for or at their level (if they retouched their own stock before) then I would recieve a payment on a monthly basis of around £500 $750 and we would both sign contracts to make sure the work was done and payments were not reversed as they are always sent beforehand, the payment all depends on how many images they want retouched on average and how many they were shooting as I normally took over their retouching as they wanted to shoot more and retouch less.. I could be doing 10 images per photographer on an average day.

I wouldn't retouch for cheap (£2.50) per stock photo as it is a on-going job.. I would charge monthly. Atleast $200+.

Exactly, £500 ($700) per month, it works out as £2.50 per image

May 26 09 03:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

NightshiftReprographics wrote:
£ not $
and it would be bulk work so it aint too bad if it's regular,
stick to a high price for one offs by all means, but people kill for contract work.
better to have it than not.

I know you didn't say $ I just typed it wrong and I mean for bulk work like that I think $10 is cheap...

May 26 09 03:23 pm Link

Retoucher

Removed Profile

NightshiftReprographics wrote:

Exactly, £500 ($700) per month, it works out as £2.50 per image

It doesn't work out as £2.50 per image for myself as the amount of images I do varies, I do not work weekends either.
Anyway I meant if you do stock retouching then get the payment as a bulk payment, don't charge per photo as you do them tongue as you would be back and forth from paypal or however you pay all the time.
The rate you charge is upto you, the quality of your work, the work that needs to be done to the images, how many images are to be retouched and how long they will take you.

May 26 09 03:30 pm Link

Digital Artist

Ruse Design

I didn't mention 'billing' per image at any stage that's obsurd, something is obviously getting lost in type here, so i'll leave it there. £500 to me seems fair.
OP: Advice will differ from freelancers and people used to industry contract work, listen to all but network with others in London already for sound advice.

May 26 09 03:41 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

I've already asked for a test photo to see the quality and style and how much work would have to be done.
I was just asking for a basic rate that is not too high and quite normal for stock photo retouching.

And yes, i really need this job and i'd prefer to offer a cheaper price (but not ridiculously cheap) and maybe work on a monthly basis.

May 26 09 03:55 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

Glamour  Retouch wrote:

Good advice and excellent question.

I guess he might be busy with taking pictures and doesn't want to do it himself smile

May 26 09 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

May i suggest you stick with an hourly rate? If you offer services at a per image rate, then you can't complain if they send you images that will take hours to complete.

May 26 09 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

edit. resolved.

May 26 09 04:07 pm Link

Model

Model Delicate

I wasn't going to charge per image... i am trying to work out a fair package price for 200 pictures a month.

He said that it's only a little bit work to do, just cleaning the white background and skin basically... that doesn't take too long.
I will think about the hourly rate after i had a look at the test photo.

Thanks a lot smile

May 26 09 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

Before you set a price, you need to ask what is involved. If its just colour work, that should be cheap enough. If it requires anything more advanced then set the charges accordingly.

May 27 09 09:07 am Link