Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop Experts, I need help

Photographer

LAZPHOTO

Temecula, California, US

When using the Pen tool, Photoshop tries to predict the next curve. Many times I have to Alt-Click the previous point to disable that. I can't seem to find anything in Preferences to disable that function altogether.

Anyone know how to fix it or some workarounds?

May 27 09 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Laz wrote:
When using the Pen tool, Photoshop tries to predict the next curve. Many times I have to Alt-Click the previous point to disable that. I can't seem to find anything in Preferences to disable that function altogether.

I don't understand exactly what you mean. If you click-drag it will affect the part of the curve after the point you have clicked on, that's the way bezier curves work. If you want a series of straight sections just click instead of click-dragging.

May 27 09 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Chapman Photography AGD

Modesto, California, US

This problem is something I have also fought with.  I learned that the closer the "tail" of the next point is to the actual curve, the better the curve will be.  It just takes practice.

About the only time I "alt/click" is when I am totally changing direction.  The more you play with it, the better it gets.

Best to you, good luck!

May 27 09 02:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Laz wrote:

It sounds like the magnetic option is enabled. Check the options bar and uncheck 'magnetic'. That's the only thing other than a weird bug I can think of.

May 27 09 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

SuperCrash1

West Hollywood, California, US

I think you are talking about the "rubberband" option, unclick that and see if that fixes it.

I googled this to maybe help you, if this is the problem you are referencing.

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials … r_band.php

May 27 09 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

You can also ALT+click to drag out the handles whenever you drop a new point.  If you ALT+click then select and drag them, they will move independently of each other allowing a true angle to be created.

May 27 09 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

LAZPHOTO

Temecula, California, US

WMcK wrote:

I don't understand exactly what you mean. If you click-drag it will affect the part of the curve after the point you have clicked on, that's the way bezier curves work. If you want a series of straight sections just click instead of click-dragging.

When you're drawing a curve, photoshop will try to direct the curve where it thinks the next one will be. It happens mostly when there's a change of direction.

May 27 09 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

LAZPHOTO

Temecula, California, US

Hanigoshi wrote:
This problem is something I have also fought with.  I learned that the closer the "tail" of the next point is to the actual curve, the better the curve will be.  It just takes practice.

About the only time I "alt/click" is when I am totally changing direction.  The more you play with it, the better it gets.

Best to you, good luck!

So far, it seems you're the only one understanding me and knows what I'm experiencing. It's quite annoying. I just thought there should be a way to disable it to avoid Alt-Clicking all the time.

May 27 09 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

LAZPHOTO

Temecula, California, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

It sounds like the magnetic option is enabled. Check the options bar and uncheck 'magnetic'. That's the only thing other than a weird bug I can think of.

I'm using CS4 with the Pen tool, not the Freeform Pen tool. So I'm pretty sure the Magnetic option is not even there for the Pen tool.

May 27 09 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

LAZPHOTO

Temecula, California, US

Stephen Bradford wrote:
I think you are talking about the "rubberband" option, unclick that and see if that fixes it.

I googled this to maybe help you, if this is the problem you are referencing.

http://www.republicofcode.com/tutorials … r_band.php

Rubberband is already unchecked.

May 27 09 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

LAZPHOTO

Temecula, California, US

A slice of oblivion wrote:
You can also ALT+click to drag out the handles whenever you drop a new point.  If you ALT+click then select and drag them, they will move independently of each other allowing a true angle to be created.

That's exactly what I mentioned in the Original Post. I'm trying to avoid having to do that.

May 27 09 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Laz wrote:
That's exactly what I mentioned in the Original Post. I'm trying to avoid having to do that.

No, it's not what you said before.  A single ALT+click on a previously existing point will remove a curve and the handles leaving you open to ALT+dragging new handles.  This is what you mentioned before.

If you don't create handles in the first place as you drop a new point you can ALT+drag handles that move independently.  This way you don't have to go back and readjust them.  This is what I said.  There is a difference.

May 28 09 06:03 am Link