Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > CR2 Files and CS3

Model

Jessica Loewen

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Anyone know if CS3 supports CR2 files?  YES I have Camera Raw but "it is not the right type of document" So far I have never had an issue with any other type of RAW file.

I've read that adobe stops making updates for old versions of photoshop once they release a new one, is it possible that CR2's came after the release of CS4?

It's either that or I need to update my Camera Raw, although I THOUGHT I got the newest one.

May 27 09 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Atterberry Studios

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nevada, US

Yes, go to adobe's website and look for camera raw updates. Even had to do that for CS4.

May 27 09 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

1 thing to keep in mind...

While Canon raw files are CR2, there's a variety of CR2 files & maybe not all are compatible w/ CS3. I'm not sure about these 3 cameras: 5D Mk II, 1Ds Mk III, 50D

I do know that when I upgraded from 1D Mk II to the Mk III, the raw converter that opened the CR2 files from the Mk II wouldn't open the CR2 files from the Mk III, until I updated my raw converter (ACR)...

You should be able to use the DNG converter, but that may not be what you wanted to do...

Paul

May 27 09 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

j and B Photography

Des Moines, Iowa, US

would converting the files to .dng solve your problems?

May 27 09 02:46 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loewen

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

j and B Photography wrote:
would converting the files to .dng solve your problems?

I'll do that I have some CR2 files, thanks!

May 27 09 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bobs Fine Art

Falls Church, Virginia, US

yes converting to dng would solve all the OP's problems...  especially if he/she has a camera that will never be supported directly as a cr2 file in CS3..

they only update the newer cameras in a raw converter made for the current vesion of photoshop...

so with CS3, your stuck with whatever cameras ACR 4.x can open..  unless you convert the raws to dng's with the free dng converter adobe has on their website...

May 27 09 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

newer CR2 files aren't supported, but adobe has a free DNG converter you can download on their website.

the same will go for newer NEF files as well.

May 27 09 04:37 pm Link