Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Not getting what I'm seeing....

Photographer

OneLightStand Photo

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sorry, that was the best quick explanation I had.

Can anyone explain why I'm seeing rich deep color on my camera screen (D300), as well as in Bridge, yet when I open the same pic in CS4 it appears washed out and needs a fair amount of correction to replicate? 

I do have the correct camera profiles loaded in ACR and shoot in RAW, and monitor is properly calibrated.

I thought I had elsewhere a while ago that photoshop can't properly read in camera adjustments and displays the "basic" image only?

Jun 04 09 08:03 am Link

Photographer

The Alternative Image

London, England, United Kingdom

The image you see on the camera is not a raw image, raw images are flat and washed out to begin with and will always need post work to bring them to level you would like, try this, take two pics, one raw and the other in jpg, look at them both in CS4 and you will see a big diffence.

The raw image will not look anything like the jpg because the jpg that has been processed in camera, the raw image is what it says, raw, exactly what was on the sensor with no modification, which gives you much more to play with in post to get the look you want.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jun 04 09 08:12 am Link

Photographer

OneLightStand Photo

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I understand what you are saying and will try the jpeg vs. RAW test, but I'm struggling with why the in-camera and Bridge versions look good, but the CS4 image is washed out, or flat? 

Is it therefore fair to say then that it's a waste of time doing any in-camera adjustments if shooting RAW? (and do it all in post?)....

Jun 04 09 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Paul-ice

Burgdorf, Bern, Switzerland

Yeah many people only shoot RAW me included, then i use Lightroom for quick adjustments and CS3 for the rest.

Jun 04 09 08:23 am Link

Photographer

STANJOHNSON

Detroit, Michigan, US

I shoot pentax, and all my settings are none void when shooting raw..........

Jun 04 09 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Make sure you've synchronized your color settings between ACR/Bridge/Lightroom and Photoshop.

Specifically in Photoshop, make sure that your working space uses what ever color space you're assigning to the photos when you process the raw files. It sounds like you might be assigning SRGB to the raw files and then opening them in an Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop.

Jun 04 09 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Matt Knowles

Ferndale, California, US

Under Photoshop's color settings it also helps to make sure that RGB color management policies is set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles".

Jun 04 09 08:35 am Link

Photographer

BD associates

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

If none of that works, you might try looking in up at the Adobe forums:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/1629140#1629140

Jun 04 09 09:00 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Adobe Camera Raw does not use the same defaults as your camera does. For example, if you have the camera set to vivid saturation, medium contrast, and medium sharpening, the preview of the file (generated by the camera) will display using that setting, but the raw file itself will not; only Nikon's conversion software pays attention to the camera's settings when converting a NEF file.

You can get around this by setting your own values in Camera Raw, and telling it to use those settings for the camera by default. If, for example, you want more saturation than the default, change that, then use ACR's preferences to save that. (I've set my ACR defaults to a particular Clarity/Vibrance/Saturation combination, and a default sharpening value, as well as calibration setting, all based on on the camera used.)

ALK Photo wrote:
Is it therefore fair to say then that it's a waste of time doing any in-camera adjustments if shooting RAW? (and do it all in post?)....

If you're not pulling the embedded JPEG from the Raw file for some other purpose, yes. The only settings ACR uses from the camera are aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and white balance, and that last one is only used as a default value.

Jun 04 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

Matt Knowles wrote:
Make sure you've synchronized your color settings between ACR/Bridge/Lightroom and Photoshop.

Specifically in Photoshop, make sure that your working space uses what ever color space you're assigning to the photos when you process the raw files. It sounds like you might be assigning SRGB to the raw files and then opening them in an Adobe RGB color space in Photoshop.

this would be my guess... when you open something from camera raw to photoshop they should look the same... any changes that jpeging causes will happen when you jpeg not when you open in photoshop.  Camera raw and Photoshop are interpreting the images differently.  if you have both set for the same color space (hopefully not sRGB) and they still display differently, you may need to delete your preferences. (save any actions and custom shapes/brushes first I have learned this lesson the hard way)

so to sum up be sure all image programs use the same color space and the preserve settings is turned on.

Jun 04 09 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Joseph William

Chicago, Illinois, US

also kevin's answer is absolutely correct and well stated but does not answer your specific question....  but still very important to keep in mind.  if you shoot any thing not RAW the camera applies your color / luminosity settings, but if you are shooting RAW it does not.

thanks
joe

Jun 04 09 09:50 am Link

Photographer

OneLightStand Photo

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

WOW! This is why I love this place!

Thank you all very much, all the answers and suggestions have been most helpful, and Kevin thanks for clarifying that I need to use Nikon software to maintain my in camera settings.....

Did I mention I love this place?.....

Jun 04 09 11:23 am Link