Photographer

Mitchell and Mitchell

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hey I'm just looking for some new/better ways to create or clone hair.

If I have some bald spots, or just negative space in an image of a model and I want to create hair to fill those spots, what is the best way to go about doing this?  Just copy samples of the models hair and replace them and shape?  Are some techniques better for different styles/colors of hair?

Aug 13 09 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Stalnaker

Sarasota, Florida, US

I tend to use the eydropper and chose part of the hair that is the same color I need to add to.  I then use the brush tool and a very, very small brush and draw in the hair.  Works best if you have cut out the person to place into a different background and need to add back those small stands of that did not make it.  It is time consuming though.

Aug 13 09 12:38 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

I think (dont quote me) but Russel Brown http://russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html has stuff on this there. I think it was there I seen it before....that or retouchpro

Aug 13 09 12:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Elle May

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

There are lots of brushes available for making hair, but they never give you the real texture or variation in colour that real hair has. They are fine enough for manipulations with a bit of painting, but if you want to do serious high res retouching then I'm afraid you're in for a lot of work. If it's a small space that needs hair then I paint it all. If it's a quite large space then I copy and paste parts of the hair already present and blend them in with cloning and erasing, before painting to add uniformity.

Aug 15 09 10:16 am Link