Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Help! Selection Keep Jerking Off!

Photographer

Darkroom Photographics

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

twisted....

Aug 18 09 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Uncommon Allure

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Maybe you need to let go of mouse when jerking off?

Aug 18 09 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Uncommon Allure wrote:

bahaha!

Aug 18 09 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Uncommon Allure wrote:

Let me try that.

Nope doesn't work.

Aug 18 09 11:06 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Two more ideas:

1. What happens if you copy the selection (Command-C) and paste it into a new document? Is the area which is marked as a 'gap' pasted or not?

2. What happens if you disable graphic acceleration in your preferences and restart?

Trying to see whether it's a display-only problem, or if the problem is with the selection itself.

Aug 18 09 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:
Two more ideas:

1. What happens if you copy the selection (Command-C) and paste it into a new document? Is the area which is marked as a 'gap' pasted or not?

2. What happens if you disable graphic acceleration in your preferences and restart?

Trying to see whether it's a display-only problem, or if the problem is with the selection itself.

It's problem with the selection itself, the cubes are there when I copy and paste onto a new document. My MacBook doesn't even have graphic acceleration available.

Thanks for trying though.

Aug 18 09 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:

It's problem with the selection itself, the cubes are there when I copy and paste onto a new document. My MacBook doesn't even have graphic acceleration available.

Thanks for trying though.

do you have OpenGL enabled? under performance

Aug 18 09 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

Myshkin wrote:

do you have OpenGL enabled? under performance

I can't enable it. MacBook's video card doesn't allow that option.

Aug 18 09 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You  Bin wrote:

I can't enable it. MacBook's video card doesn't allow that option.

that's good, I've seen turning it off as a solution to many drawing issues, so we can cross that off.

Aug 18 09 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Uncommon Allure

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Myshkin wrote:

bahaha!

What's really funny is that the avi that the mods asked me to remove keeps showing up in my postings even though I changed it in my port.   I guess Mother likes the Grape Jelly Bikini better ( hehe)

Aug 18 09 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

this would be a good place to ask, I think you just have to register:
http://forums.adobe.com/community/photo … ns&start=0

Aug 18 09 11:37 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Sean Duffy wrote:
Sometimes you have to reinstall...worst case scenario

Looking at all the replies and help this seems the likely case here. *hug* I know! I had to reinstall mine last night! *sigh*

The only thing I can think of is when you select with the lasso tool and the selection comes up go and grab the magic wand quick selection tool, set it to PLUS and re select the boxes so they are included in the main selection.

That make sense? Its the only thing I can think off.....

Aug 19 09 02:05 am Link

Photographer

phx fetish

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

You  Bin wrote:
It happens when I complete the selection.

I tried changing the cache level and restarting, didn't work.

I experiment the error a bit again, it's the image size that affects whether or not it occurs not the dpi. The error doesn't occur in a small image. For example when I resize a regular photo file from 4272 x 2848 pixels to 900 x 600 pixels, the error is gone.

Myshkin wrote:
interesting. I'm not sure that a reinstall would even help that. I'm thinking scratch disc, RAM, cache. Something is messing up the redraw.

strange.

Aug 19 09 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

This was asked by someone earlier but not answered and I'm curious about this one:

Do the squares appear in the same place each time or is it a random placement?

And now more questions of my own:

Is it consistent across images? Meaning, if you make the same selection path in another image, are the squares in the same place?

Does changing the selection path change the squares in any way?

You said it seems to be based on image size. Can you test to see at what size image this problem stops? Try just stepping down a percent in size and see what happens.

If you make a very simple selection path like a square using the polygon tool, does this still happen?

Aug 19 09 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

You  Bin wrote:
Thanks,

I just tried resetting the preferences, but it didn't work.

Are you sure you did reset the preferences?
In most erratic behaviors this solves the problem.
If you did indeed delete them the next step is updating your video driver.

Aug 19 09 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Here is perhaps the solution.
updating to 11.0.1 or updating video drivers or both.

Aug 19 09 07:40 am Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

Never ever had this issue. But Photoshop does weird things, sometimes it wont let me hide the selection markee and other times it will, like the hot keys suddenly stop working. Usually have to full restart to fix it. THis is weird tho..

Aug 19 09 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

neoracer wrote:
Never ever had this issue. But Photoshop does weird things, sometimes it wont let me hide the selection markee and other times it will, like the hot keys suddenly stop working. Usually have to full restart to fix it. THis is weird tho..

I just had a weird one myself. I composited a couple images together, layered up, and got to work cloning, masking, blending, etc. I didn't notice but somewhere along the way, a line of transparent background or whatever you wanna call it appeared across the top and down the left side of the image. Like I had selected about 5 pixels along the left and 5 pixels across the top and deleted all the way down to transparency.

I though "OK, no problem, I'm gonna crop anyway so I'll just crop it now and be done with it. When I cropped, the transparency was still there. I cropped again. Same thing. No matter how much I cropped out of the left and top, that same transparency was there.

I backstepped to the original size and just flattened the image once I was done compositing and all that. Then tried cropping again. Same thing. I went all the way through my workflow, cropping here and there but nothing got rid of that transparency. I even tried cloning onto it and painting onto it. Didn't work. So I just finished up and when I saved it as psd and jpg, I went back and looked at them. Transparency is now gone. lol Phantom transparency.

So, yeah, Photoshop has quirks.

Aug 19 09 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Eastfist

Green Bay, Wisconsin, US

You  Bin wrote:
I have the problem exactly as shown below, where I use the Polygonal selection tool to draw a selection, and the selection end up having cubes I didn't draw in?

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090818/19/4a8b6480d7f5c.jpg

I also have the same problem when drawing a similar shape with the Pen tool, but when I do this on a new empty canvas, the same error doesn't occur. Anybody got any idea how I can fix it?

The image mode was on RGB and 16 bit.

I remember something similar happening to me when I worked on Photoshop on a Mac (yeeears ago).  Fortunately for me, it hasn't happened on my Windows machine.  I think it's probably a memory issue.  Here's a possible solution: if your image is really big in dimension, zoom in and make the selection slowly.  Drag/scroll the image, then place an anchor, drag, place anchor, etc.  That way Photoshop only has to draw "some" of the points in the marquee in real-time, might improve memory usage. Dunno.

Aug 19 09 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Aug 20 09 08:16 am Link

Photographer

D0TD0TD0T

New York, New York, US

photoboykane wrote:
I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday, and it wasn't the first time.  I just can't recall which other selection tools I've used that have had such glitches.

CS4, MacBook Pro, RGB, no layers or alpha channels or previous selections, etc.

I was using the Polygonal Lasso to roughly outline a model for creation of an Alpha Channel as a protected area in Content Aware Scaling.  A weird little box would NOT select along with everything else.  It wasn't always in the same relative place (happened over and over on half a dozen images).  I just drew around it to add it back into my selection with no problem.

It occurred both with Open GL ON and OFF. 

Very, very strange.  Maybe it's proportional size was some how relative to 12-21-2012.

I opened one of the images and tried a number of selections.  This screen capture shows the large trapezoid I selected, as well as two rectangles "ghosted" into being.  One of the rectangles is an addition to the selection, the other is a subtraction from the selection.  Sometimes a large selection would have no artifacts, sometimes it would have several artifacts that were either rectangles or zigzagged shapes...

https://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww334/photoboykane/514024e6.jpg

Omg I'm not alone!

So did you find a solution? I tried reinstalling photoshop, did not work.

Aug 20 09 09:13 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Aug 20 09 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Reinstalling Photoshop does not solve the problem because it does not delete the preferences.

As i mentioned before you should update to 11.0.1 and if this does not solve it then a video card driver update is necessary.
But first delete the preferences it might solve it. I asked before if you really did delete preferences

Aug 20 09 10:18 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

These selection 'cubes' were a bug with the FIRST release of Photoshop CS4. It would also happen when turning the pen tool into a selection. If you get the update 11.1 it should clear it.  (I only use mac, so no idea about whether this bug was also on Windows)

Of course anyone using a bit torrent version of Photoshop will not be able update :-/

Aug 20 09 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Snap2 wrote:
These selection 'cubes' were a bug with the FIRST release of Photoshop CS4. It would also happen when turning the pen tool into a selection. If you get the update 11.1 it should clear it.  (I only use mac, so no idea about whether this bug was also on Windows)

Of course anyone using a bit torrent version of Photoshop will not be able update :-/

I can not understand that they do not get the update.

Aug 20 09 11:23 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

…because they downloaded it illegaly

Aug 20 09 03:50 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

The link is broken on my end. I can't see it.

Aug 20 09 04:19 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

Are you using a wireless mouse or keyboard?
That can occur when a battery is low and the signal from the mouse to the computer goes haywire.
Or something in your OS is freaking out over Photoshop, with which you may need to reinstall the program if it keeps occuring.

Aug 20 09 04:21 pm Link