Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Do you ever envy photographers?

Retoucher

CS Toledo

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

I've been drawing/artsy all my life versus 4 years of photography. I do photo shoots too but I don't label myself as a "Photographer" simply because I feel like I don't deserve to be called as one yet just because I "take pictures". wink
I am better in Photoshop than in photography so I'll take "Photoshop Wizard" because it's what fits me more for now. smile

Moving on before this turns into a dear diary post...

Envious? I think I'm green with envy with their million dollar gadgets and a tad inspiiired with their priceless photos. smile

Aug 19 09 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

Coming as a retoucher/photographer, yes I do envy photographers. :-)

Aug 19 09 11:29 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Thomas

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Its all a preference in art form. That's the joy of art. Art has no boundaries. Its all about how you feel most suits you in expressing yourself artistically. This is why so many art forms exist, and why there really is no limit to what you can call art.

Some people may argue that retouching is simply enhancing the product of the photographers artistic ability, and requires no new personal expression by the digital artist. But, the digital artist's expression, creativity, and style (and ability) always comes though in the final product.

It really is a marriage of two art forms. And since it is so closely connected, it's common to be drawn to the other half, no matter which side of the marriage you engaged in (bad pun). I personally really enjoy the digital art side of things, but as an artist I enjoy many forms of art including photography.

Aug 19 09 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Allen Studio

Tacoma, Washington, US

I used to envy a few photographers but then I started to see their images in some high end retouchers portfolios and it hit me, they hadn't credited the person that retouched their image(s).

Since then, I haven't been too impressed with most.

Aug 19 09 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kings Media Photos

Victorville, California, US

JL Retouching wrote:

No kidding.  I have to disagree as well, I consider myself a decent retoucher.  I've also seen some AMAZING Photoshop Wizards on here who haven't touched a camera either.  It really just depends on whether you have an eye for it or not.

I have to disagree =/

you are a GREAT retoucher smile

Aug 20 09 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Kings Media Photos

Victorville, California, US

Craig Allen Studio wrote:
I used to envy a few photographers but then I started to see their images in some high end retouchers portfolios and it hit me, they hadn't credited the person that retouched their image(s).

Since then, I haven't been too impressed with most.

I dont think a credit is needed in actual mainstream editing.
Or if the retoucher was paid.
If a photographer pays to have an image edited, why would he credit the retoucher? Is it fair, maybe not, maybe so? If its trade than thats another story.

edit
take amy dresser
http://amydresser.com/
I always thought it was the photographer who edit his images, until I came across her website.
Was she credited? Nope, but Im sure the photographer paid her a pretty penny as they were mainstream images. smile

Aug 20 09 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Cuervo79

Guatemala, Guatemala, Guatemala

Kings Media wrote:

I dont think a credit is needed in actual mainstream editing.
Or if the retoucher was paid.
If a photographer pays to have an image edited, why would he credit the retoucher? Is it fair, maybe not, maybe so? If its trade than thats another story.

edit
take amy dresser
http://amydresser.com/
I always thought it was the photographer who edit his images, until I came across her website.
Was she credited? Nope, but Im sure the photographer paid her a pretty penny as they were mainstream images. smile

I disagree if the models can be credited in some instances why can't the others behind the scenes also?

Aug 20 09 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Los Angeles, California, US

I envy a lot of photographers and a lot of retouchers and a hell of a lot of hybrids!!!!

EDIT:  But all that does is make me work harder and strive for improvement!

Aug 20 09 07:18 am Link

Photographer

gzone

Lancaster, California, US

Yes

Aug 20 09 07:21 am Link

Photographer

The Alternative Image

London, England, United Kingdom

I am not good enough to have anyone envy me, but I would not say envy for retouchers but I do wish I could be halve as good as some of the retouchers and wizards on here, its such a big learning curve and so much to learn.

So more admiration from me, that goes for better photographers than me aswell, its more I wish I was that good, gives me something to aspire to I suppose.

I really wish I could learn how to compisite images into some of the visions I have in my head.

Aug 20 09 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Los Angeles, California, US

The Alternative Image  wrote:
I am not good enough to have anyone envy me, but I would not say envy for retouchers but I do wish I could be halve as good as some of the retouchers and wizards on here, its such a big learning curve and so much to learn.

So more admiration from me, that goes for better photographers than me aswell, its more I wish I was that good, gives me something to aspire to I suppose.

I really wish I could learn how to compisite images into some of the visions I have in my head.

Just start by practicing... Keep doing it and it will get better with time.

Aug 20 09 07:35 am Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

Dallas J. Logan wrote:
I envy a lot of photographers and a lot of retouchers and a hell of a lot of hybrids!!!!

EDIT:  But all that does is make me work harder and strive for improvement!

exactly, competition and bettering one self breeds success

Aug 20 09 08:03 am Link

Photographer

SSEVILLA

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Jessica,

I think if you envy it, maybe you have an interest that will pay off.  Plus, your PS skills will help you improve your photography at a more rapid rate.

I started as an MUA (+10 years) then did PS for about a year, then bought a camera to start taking before and after pics for my clients, then decided that I needed proper lighting to take adequate before/after pics.....then a lightbulb went off....hmmm I really like this whole photography thing and went after my first photo shoot.  Almost 1 year later, I am loving it and am pursuing photography to supplement my makeup career: )))

Just do it Jessica, I think you will love it!!!

Aug 20 09 08:19 am Link

Photographer

iHartPhotos

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

JL Retouching wrote:
I sometimes catch myself doing this, wishing I could "invent" the images rather than just sit around and hope somebody sends me something spectacular.

When I started I thought I would be totally content retouching others images. I can safely say that manipulating your own shots is, probably, about 500 times more satisfying.
You get to foster your vision from a mere concept in your minds eye through to the final image.Its incredibly rewarding.

Aug 21 09 09:19 pm Link