Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Plug-Ins.....True Purpose and Reason

Photographer

Kym Trice

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have been seeing a lot of threads with PW stating their use of plug-ins. I have been searching the net trying to find out 1) what does it really mean, 2) what is its TRUE purpose and 3) how/when can or should plug-ins be used? Please advise

Aug 22 09 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Pretty simple saves time or does things that you can not easily do or just can't do or want to do yourself. A plug-in is nothing more than an additional tool that you can use period nothing magical most can be done with time but a well done plug-in saves that in the nut shell.

Aug 22 09 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Plug ins AKA actions AKA macros are just are series of steps that you
can record than playback.
Anything that is repetitious I record as a action then use when needed.

Aug 22 09 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

nwprophoto wrote:
Plug ins AKA actions AKA macros are just are series of steps that you
can record than playback.
Anything that is repetitious I record as a action then use when needed.

Just for clarification: Plugins, actions, and macros (known in Photoshop as scripts, either Javascript, VBscript, or Applescript.) are each their own thing though they have similar functions.

Actions: Actions can record some steps that you take in Photoshop in a "linear" method. This means it can step through them from beginning to end without regard to special conditions that may or may not exist. When recording an action, it gets recorded as-is. When presented with a dialog for something like Gaussian Blur, whatever you select as the radius is recorded into the action so it will be the same each time. However, you have the ability to set it so that dialog will pop up each time allowing you to change the settings. Actions are good when you do the same exact thing over and over like setting up layers, blend modes, opacities, etc.

Scripts: Scripts are very similar to macros in other programs like MS Word, Wordperfect, or even javascript for websites. Adobe has seen fit to extend the scripting language so you can tackle most every task in Photoshop using scripts if you're willing to put in the time to code it. Scripts can check for certain conditions and do different things for different conditions. A script can check to see if you have a Layer named "Hair Highlights" and if so, perform blending or whatever you want on it. If it doesn't exist, the script can create it and then perform whatever you need. An action with either just create it or not create it depending on how you recorded it not caring if it already exists or not. Scripts are text files that are interpreted by the scripting engine built into Photoshop so you don't need any special programs to create them.

Plugins: Plugins are more complex than either scripts or actions. They can delve right into the Photoshop engine itself and manipulate your pixels in any way you can think of. Filters are Plugins. When you run a filter, you usually get a dialog that appears with settings that you can adjust. If you create your own Plugin, you can also create your own dialog with your own settings each of which will do whatever you want it to do based on your code. Scripts can do some of this with dialogs, but scripts can't come close to the ability of Plugins to manipulate the image and allow a Preview at the same time.

Adobe has now put out a utility called Pixel Bender that allows anyone to create simple Plugins. These are limited in what they can do, but can still do things scripts can't. The thing with these when you create them, you must have the Pixel Bender Plugin installed in order to be able to run them in Photoshop. In order to create commercial level Plugins, you will need a C++ compiler with a library that is compatible with Adobe products. Adobe recommends Micro$oft Vi$ual $tudio. And from what I've been able to determine, this is the only compiler guaranteed to have the proper libraries to interface with Adobe, though you can use any C++ compiler such as Borland or g++. I have read, though, that it can be hit or miss whether it works as expected or not.

I hope this answers your question. smile

Aug 22 09 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Julian Marsalis wrote:
Pretty simple saves time or does things that you can not easily do or just can't do or want to do yourself. A plug-in is nothing more than an additional tool that you can use period nothing magical most can be done with time but a well done plug-in saves that in the nut shell.

ok....I was thinking it was something that you can literally "plug-in" and it does some really good stuff to the image.

Aug 22 09 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Kym Trice wrote:

ok....I was thinking it was something that you can literally "plug-in" and it does some really good stuff to the image.

It kinda is. Your filters are the same thing as plugins. They are basically plugins that come with Photoshop.

You can find all kinds of plugins on the internet....some for free, and some you pay for. Portraiture is an example.

http://www.imagenomic.com/pt.aspx

Aug 22 09 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Download a trial of a versatile Plug like Nik Color Efx Pro that has a lot of efx to get an idea. Or just look at the examples at their site.

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/en/entry.php?

Aug 23 09 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Kym Trice wrote:

Basically a plug-in is a piece of software that you add into photoshop to extend it's functions most plug-ins can be replicated in ps without it. Here's a site of free plug-ins http://thepluginsite.com/resources/freeps.htm

I use some but prefer the control of doing things myself unless the plug in is just so good also cheap some plug ins cost as much as photoshop or saves me so much time that doing it myself is a waste of my time.

Oh I should add Actions many are free are the biggest boost to my time saving they basically automate things u will complete numerous times over and over on images and saves tons of time without affecting quality always a win.

http://www.atncentral.com/

Aug 23 09 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:

Just for clarification: Plugins, actions, and macros (known in Photoshop as scripts, either Javascript, VBscript, or Applescript.) are each their own thing though they have similar functions.

Actions: Actions can record some steps that you take in Photoshop in a "linear" method. This means it can step through them from beginning to end without regard to special conditions that may or may not exist. When recording an action, it gets recorded as-is. When presented with a dialog for something like Gaussian Blur, whatever you select as the radius is recorded into the action so it will be the same each time. However, you have the ability to set it so that dialog will pop up each time allowing you to change the settings. Actions are good when you do the same exact thing over and over like setting up layers, blend modes, opacities, etc.

Scripts: Scripts are very similar to macros in other programs like MS Word, Wordperfect, or even javascript for websites. Adobe has seen fit to extend the scripting language so you can tackle most every task in Photoshop using scripts if you're willing to put in the time to code it. Scripts can check for certain conditions and do different things for different conditions. A script can check to see if you have a Layer named "Hair Highlights" and if so, perform blending or whatever you want on it. If it doesn't exist, the script can create it and then perform whatever you need. An action with either just create it or not create it depending on how you recorded it not caring if it already exists or not. Scripts are text files that are interpreted by the scripting engine built into Photoshop so you don't need any special programs to create them.

Plugins: Plugins are more complex than either scripts or actions. They can delve right into the Photoshop engine itself and manipulate your pixels in any way you can think of. Filters are Plugins. When you run a filter, you usually get a dialog that appears with settings that you can adjust. If you create your own Plugin, you can also create your own dialog with your own settings each of which will do whatever you want it to do based on your code. Scripts can do some of this with dialogs, but scripts can't come close to the ability of Plugins to manipulate the image and allow a Preview at the same time.

Adobe has now put out a utility called Pixel Bender that allows anyone to create simple Plugins. These are limited in what they can do, but can still do things scripts can't. The thing with these when you create them, you must have the Pixel Bender Plugin installed in order to be able to run them in Photoshop. In order to create commercial level Plugins, you will need a C++ compiler with a library that is compatible with Adobe products. Adobe recommends Micro$oft Vi$ual $tudio. And from what I've been able to determine, this is the only compiler guaranteed to have the proper libraries to interface with Adobe, though you can use any C++ compiler such as Borland or g++. I have read, though, that it can be hit or miss whether it works as expected or not.

I hope this answers your question. smile

That was a very nice and thorough explanation. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Aug 23 09 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Robert Randall wrote:

That was a very nice and thorough explanation. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Yeah, that was VERY informative. Thanks a million Photons

Aug 23 09 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

At the end of the day, am I to assume its safe to use photoshop for a variety of reasons but when it comes to TRUE Digital Art and Retouching, plug-ins are the way to go in reference to time?

I have researched some methods, i.e. D&B.....it takes to long. I dont want to take forever to "beautify" (if thats a word) an image.

Aug 23 09 09:20 am Link

Retoucher

Glamour Retouch

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Great information,thanks.

Aug 23 09 09:22 am Link

Retoucher

Elite Retouch

New York, New York, US

Kym Trice wrote:
At the end of the day, am I to assume its safe to use photoshop for a variety of reasons but when it comes to TRUE Digital Art and Retouching, plug-ins are the way to go in reference to time?

I have researched some methods, i.e. D&B.....it takes to long. I dont want to take forever to "beautify" (if thats a word) an image.

Yes and No. I think once you've learn how to do the steps by hand, you can then figure out what you NEVER want to do again and what plugin could maybe speed that step up for you.

Like, when I retouch skin, I always clean the skin up by hand has much as I can. Anything noticeable and big has to go. AFTER THAT is when I use something like Portraiture for any of the tone shifts and aberrations that are hard to see unless you use a strong contrast layer.

And, yes, things like D&B take a WHILE to complete, but as you get more skillful in Photoshop you'll find some major workarounds for that. For instance I don't D&B by hand spot by spot anymore. I use a technique I developed (that was time consuming to come up with, but easy to use anytime afterward) that utilizes a bunch of adjustment layers with different contrast settings that allows me to see more high frequency details and mask them out quickly. 30min compared to 4-8hrs is a definite time saver.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that we all use plug-ins, but we don't (nor should anyone ever) rely on JUST plug-ins. A tool is only as good as the artist who uses it.

Aug 23 09 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Elite Retouch wrote:

Yes and No. I think once you've learn how to do the steps by hand, you can then figure out what you NEVER want to do again and what plugin could maybe speed that step up for you.

Like, when I retouch skin, I always clean the skin up by hand has much as I can. Anything noticeable and big has to go. AFTER THAT is when I use something like Portraiture for any of the tone shifts and aberrations that are hard to see unless you use a strong contrast layer.

And, yes, things like D&B take a WHILE to complete, but as you get more skillful in Photoshop you'll find some major workarounds for that. For instance I don't D&B by hand spot by spot anymore. I use a technique I developed (that was time consuming to come up with, but easy to use anytime afterward) that utilizes a bunch of adjustment layers with different contrast settings that allows me to see more high frequency details and mask them out quickly. 30min compared to 4-8hrs is a definite time saver.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that we all use plug-ins, but we don't (nor should anyone ever) rely on JUST plug-ins. A tool is only as good as the artist who uses it.

Thanks a lot.....I appreciate you (as well as the others) for taking out the time to share your knowledge with us. So many people are eager to learn the tricks and trade of Photoshop but there is SO MUCH to learn and its hard to put out quality photos without knowing the basics. Thanks again..

Aug 23 09 03:40 pm Link