Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How do you get rid of the flash in people's eyes?

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Washington, District of Columbia, US

EDIT: Thanks for all the info! I learned that I'm not supposed to edit out those, OOPS! Bear with me, I've only been doing photo edits for a week so I'm still learning. I appreciate all the advice.   smile
https://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab88/itsjenaya/girlbeforeandafter.jpg?t=1250992544

Aug 22 09 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Anderson

Los Angeles, California, US

The brightest light is from camera right. leave the highlight on the right in each eye, remove the other.

Aug 22 09 07:15 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

only remove one flash spot?  So it's cool to leave it sometimes? I was wondering that!

Aug 22 09 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

If you remove the shine from the eyes, you'll also have to remove the shine from the lips, too.

Aug 22 09 07:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

You could just use the clone tool to clone it out. Use a small brush and try too keep the pattern in the eye consistent.

Aug 22 09 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Anderson

Your light pattern is basically called copy light. You might try taking the light on camera left and bouncing it into a nearby wall or the ceiling. Or a softbox if you have one. It will take the "two dots" look out of you subjects eyes if that is what you are attempting.
SA

Aug 22 09 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Wizard for fun wrote:
only remove one flash spot?  So it's cool to leave it sometimes? I was wondering that!

The general theory is that since there is one primary light source on earth (the sun) it is preferred to leave one catchlight in the eyes. 

Of course, you can do that or completely ignore it if you like.

But many would contest that images with no catchlights look artificial.

Aug 22 09 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I mean this in a helpful way.

A lot of photographers in a lot of photos set up to add catchlights to the model's eyes. You've done by accident what some try and fail to do on purpose (I'm talking about myself here. smile)

I would leave them in or at least one in each eye. If you really feel you have to take them out, set up a new layer and clone from a good part of the eye onto that part.

Another solution is to lasso around the eye and copy it to a new layer then rotate it and mask away until happy with the results.

Aug 22 09 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Wizard for fun wrote:

Yep ! If you remove both , it will look a little odd

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dead people have no moisture in their eyes so no reflection of catch light.
With out any type of 'catch light' reflecting , the model is pretty much DEAD .
Or at least looks dead.

Hmm that's the best way to get rid of that high light , kill the model ....

E

Photographer

Steve Anderson

Dobias Fine Art Photo wrote:
If you remove the shine from the eyes, you'll also have to remove the shine from the lips, too.

it all will become very subjective. I'd agree with the highlight on the left of the lower lip. the rest is caused by the light on the right. do several and decide. It's how personal a style is developed.
SA

Aug 22 09 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Dykstra

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why would you want to remove all the lights from the eyes?  These are called catch lights and it is what makes the eyes come to life.  There are some who feel there should only be one catch light in each eye and they will edit the others out.  I have heard of putting them in when there were none, but to edit them all out, I just don't get it.

Aug 22 09 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Catch lights are a very important part of portraiture

Aug 22 09 07:26 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Cool thanks for all the info! I tried editing them out and just hated the way it looked. I think I'll opt to leave them in. But I might try taking at least one out... what do you all think?

Aug 22 09 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

if you are not happy with the out come of the image after you retouched it ,
and are complaining how it doesn't look "real" then why in lord's name is it your avatar?

Wouldn't logic state you only post your BEST images?

Aug 22 09 07:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Glen Dykstra wrote:
Why would you want to remove all the lights from the eyes?  These are called catch lights and it is what makes the eyes come to life.  There are some who feel there should only be one catch light in each eye and they will edit the others out.  I have heard of putting them in when there were none, but to edit them all out, I just don't get it.

sorry, I'm a noob to being a wizard and I've heard to edit them out but when I did I really hated the way it looked and opted to leave them in. I see now that it makes the photos look much better with it in.

Aug 22 09 07:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

ESCALANTE wrote:
if you are not happy with the out come of the image after you retouched it ,
and are complaining how it doesn't look "real" then why in lord's name is it your avatar?

Wouldn't logic state you only post your BEST images?

Well if you had clicked on my avatar you would have seen that I posted it with the flash still in her eyes. I thought it was my editing that made her eyes look wierd but when I realized that the flash needed to be there I left it as is.
Go back and re-read what I said in the OP. I edited it out and didn't like it.... but if you LOOK at the photo, I OPTED TO LEAVE IT IN AND SEEK ADVICE HERE.

Aug 22 09 07:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
I hope you don't take this the wrong way as I mean this in a helpful way.

A lot of photographers in a lot of photos set up to add catchlights to the model's eyes. You've done by accident what some try and fail to do on purpose (I'm talking about myself here. smile)

Don't worry, i didn't take it the wrong way. I'm not the one that took the photo. I just edited those horrific eyebrows.

Aug 22 09 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

As a PS Wizard and retoucher you might want to even "create" your own catchlights. That way you can add them as a layer/smart object/whatever, placing the shape you want in the location you want, adjusting opacity, etc. depending on the image.

That way you can simulate the catchlight shapes that different light sources produce (octagonal or rectangle softbox, etc.)

I do know one thing, not much looks worse than NO catchlight, but you also want to make sure, when importing your catchlight shapes, that the opacity isn't too high. It's almost as bad as the images you see with the ghost-white eyes.

Aug 22 09 07:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
As a PS Wizard and retoucher you might want to even "create" your own catchlights. That way you can add them as a layer/smart object/whatever, placing the shape you want in the location you want, adjusting opacity, etc. depending on the image.

That way you can simulate the catchlight shapes that different light sources produce (octagonal or rectangle softbox, etc.)

I do know one thing, not much looks worse than NO catchlight, but you also want to make sure, when importing your catchlight shapes, that the opacity isn't too high. It's almost as bad as the images you see with the ghost-white eyes.

Awesome! Thank you! That was exactly the advice I was looking for!  smile

Aug 22 09 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

A lot of photographers in a lot of photos set up to add catchlights to the model's eyes.

Good point. Something I didn't take into account when I gave my advice about the OP compiling an arsenal of catch light shapes. You want to make sure you're not completely altering something that most photographers would be very picky about. I've seen some of my peers freak on an image if the catchlights were even in the wrong position.

Damn it to hell! If those catchlights aren't in the 10-2 position I'm kicking your ass! (Or is that hands on the steering wheel?)

Aug 22 09 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Wizard for fun wrote:

sorry, I'm a noob to being a wizard and I've heard to edit them out

thats for RED-EYE from a on camera flash, not pro lighting.

Aug 22 09 07:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

Aug 22 09 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Good point. Something I didn't take into account when I gave my advice about the OP compiling an arsenal of catch light shapes. You want to make sure you're not completely altering something that most photographers would be very picky about. I've seen some of my peers freak on an image if the catchlights were even in the wrong position.

Damn it to hell! If those catchlights aren't in the 10-2 position I'm kicking your ass! (Or is that hands on the steering wheel?)

lol

I have tried and tried to add catchlights to eyes and I always fail miserably. I've followed tutorials, I've read books...no luck. My only tried and true method is to actually use lights as catchlights when I take the photo. I'm not one of those who gives the advice to others to "Get it right in camera" but in this case, for me, that's the only way that works.

Aug 22 09 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Dykstra

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wizard for fun wrote:
You guys are awesome! Thanks!

If you want or will allow it, I will do a quick edit for you (removing one catch light from each eye).

Aug 22 09 07:47 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Glen Dykstra wrote:

If you want or will allow it, I will do a quick edit for you (removing one catch light from each eye).

Sure if you want to give it a whirl! Go for it! I just don't want to tick off some queen on here that wants to raise havok because I appear as a "edit my crap for free" person. There's always one douche bag that will call someone out on that.

Aug 22 09 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Elaine Dunn

New York, New York, US

Quick little highjack: I love what you did with her eyebrows! Good clean-up.

I like catch lights. I sometimes tinker with them in PS, but if you look at major ad campaigns, they leave 'em in. Sometimes you'll see several with different shapes! If you're bored tonight, do a Google search for Christy Turlington and Maybelline. I've learned all kinds of new lighting tricks just by looking into her eyes. smile

Good luck, and have fun!

Aug 22 09 07:54 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Why would you want to remove the catchlights??  They're what make the eyes sparkle... of course it looked weird and fake when you took them out.  Most people actually ADD some, or alter what's there, but never remove all of them.

This is why retouchers need to know at least basic photography and lighting.

Aug 22 09 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Wizard for fun wrote:

Sure if you want to give it a whirl! Go for it! I just don't want to tick off some queen on here that wants to raise havok because I appear as a "edit my crap for free" person. There's always one douche bag that will call someone out on that.

Oh.....so you're just trying to get someone to do your work for you......without paying them. I get it now......

big_smile lol tongue

Kidding!

Wait....does that make me a queen? Do I get a tiara?

Aug 22 09 07:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Oh.....so you're just trying to get someone to do your work for you......without paying them. I get it now......

big_smile lol tongue

Kidding!

Wait....does that make me a queen? Do I get a tiara?

LOL you know what's funny? The reason why I posted the "before and after" on my OP was because I didn't want to be accused of that crap. LOL but if you want a tiara I might be able to draw one in for you if you email me a photo of yourself. But beware, I might edit out your catchlights!!! HAHAHA!

Aug 22 09 07:59 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

KKP Retouching wrote:
Why would you want to remove the catchlights??  They're what make the eyes sparkle... of course it looked weird and fake when you took them out.  Most people actually ADD some, or alter what's there, but never remove all of them.

This is why retouchers need to know at least basic photography and lighting.

And thanks... I learned quickly on this thread that it's not a good idea. Thanks! That's what MM is for, networking and learning right? I'm so glad that I left them in and had the common sense to seek advice before I went and chopped her eyes up.

Aug 22 09 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Dykstra

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wizard for fun wrote:

Here you go.

https://www.dykstra.us/images/catchlight.jpg

Aug 22 09 08:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

Hey I like that! I learned a lot from you guys thanks!
Now here's your tiara!
https://www.partypoppets.biz/shop/images/Daisy%20Pearl%20Tiara.jpg

Aug 22 09 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Post hidden on Aug 23, 2009 02:08 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
No drama.

Aug 22 09 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

i love catchlights, they can be a really beautiful thing. Some photographers have multiple catchlights, like for instance Jill Greenberg , who often has three or more.
I like to use a soft box and umbrella on top of each other to make for a sort of exklamation mark in the eyes smile

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3322820190_89febb48de_o.jpg

Aug 23 09 01:25 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Lots of ways to paint new catchlights. One way to fake a softbox reflection is to use a calligraphic brush set to fade. Like this:

https://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3053/calligraphic.jpg

Might work with your image (also enlarged the pupils and tweaked the skin tones):

https://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6240/catchlights2.jpg

Aug 23 09 02:12 am Link

Retoucher

Klepto ReTouch

yeah I like that!  ^^^

Aug 23 09 06:34 am Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

I like to select colors from the eyes and paint them out in a new layer. Honestly. I feel that gives me the absolute best control.

Aug 23 09 12:21 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

pellepiano wrote:
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3322820190_89febb48de_o.jpg

and STUNNING!!

Aug 23 09 01:26 pm Link