Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Help lightening the dark...

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090820/01/4a8d0ec3aa9bf.jpg

So I would like to make the eyebrows on this particular image lighter. I'm having a bit of trouble doing it though.
I tried working with brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, curves, and new layers, but nothing is doing the trick.
I just need some advice as to how to fix this. You do not have to work on it yourself, but if you do please explain how you did it so I can apply your advice to future projects.
Also, is it different if I'm working in color? I have another picture I want to lighten the lips of, but I am having the same problem.

Thank you smile

Aug 23 09 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Daniel

Brooklyn, New York, US

dodge set at a low opacity (exposure)?

Aug 23 09 10:39 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

They wouldnt just be lighter, they would need texture. You will need to find that texture from somewhere, either within the image itself, or even taking eyebrow hair from another image. Although that may sound like a long route, if all you have is the image you linked to you will have to go this way. Just lightening them, in the current state will make them look flat and gray

Nice shot that.

xx

Aug 23 09 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Why don't you just ask "don Jones" the photographer who took the photo to edit ?

~ MR

Aug 23 09 10:43 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Ask the photographer first.

If there is any detail there, you can just make a new layer set to screen blending mode and then paint in the eyebrows on a layer mask. Duplicate the layer a couple times if you wish to make it even lighter or turn down the opacity to make it darker.

- Phen

Aug 23 09 10:47 am Link

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

Thank you I'll try the dodge and burn.
You're right about texture loss. That's one of the biggest issues I was having.
He said he doesn't like to edit much but I will ask.

Aug 23 09 10:48 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

Ask him to send you the RAW. There's a lot of contrast been put into that shot from retouching

Aug 23 09 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Snap2 wrote:
Ask him to send you the RAW. There's a lot of contrast been put into that shot from retouching

I second this. Also, you may be able to bring out some of the detail that you will need with the RAW file.

Aug 23 09 06:08 pm Link