Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Color Correction for Black Skin

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I'm beginning to notice a trend when I color correct African American Skin.  I do my color corrections by eye, not by number so many of you may know this already but for those that don't:

To get that really nice natural glowing color:

1. Slide the Magenta way higher than you would expect to look natural.
2. Then slide the Yellow even higher, always put in more yellow than magenta.

I know this is a really simplified way to do skin tones, but 9 times out of 10 this little trick has gotten me a lot closer to the results I'm looking for.

Sep 02 09 11:46 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

By number this is generally the case too. The magenta and yellow being about 3 times higher than the cyan. However adding a little bit more yellow than magenta seems to be more natural, and depending on the skin tone you can add more yellow etc. Though typically speaking on darker skin tones you'll notice the cyan being a little higher than what normally is on lighter skin tones.

-Phen

Sep 02 09 11:50 am Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Yeah, when you go by number you really can't go wrong.  I've been a little lazy in the past and just eyeballed it.  I'm starting to get pretty decent at it when I check my eyeballing job now with the actual numbers, once in a while its off though lol.

Sep 02 09 11:51 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

JL Retouching wrote:
Yeah, when you go by number you really can't go wrong.  I've been a little lazy in the past and just eyeballed it.  I'm starting to get pretty decent at it when I check my eyeballing job now with the actual numbers, once in a while its off though lol.

Yeah.  Well the number system is a pretty stencil type guide, it gets you close and in acceptable range, but not always 100% real life accurate. It helps if you know what the persons skin actually looked like, but in most cases you don't so skin by numbers is a good tool. Also its good to do a skin by numbers and then adjust little things here and there by eye if you have a way of test printing.  Tricky business skin is smile

- Phen

Sep 02 09 11:58 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

Any color is a combination of basic hue, reflected light, ambient light - all these factors. So its not just the skin iself, but more imortant, light, which will hugely affect its color. So having predefined ranges of 'correct' color for flesh tones is just nonsense. Just my opinion

Sep 02 09 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

I would just get me some pictures of VIP (easy to get on the Web) measure their tone. Then I would make a catalog with squares of the nuances and their CMYK numbers.
Same thing I would do for pores. There are many high resolution pictures available.

Sep 02 09 12:16 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Sep 02 09 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I just use a grey card....

Sep 02 09 09:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:
I just use a grey card....

A gray card is a good start, but it's only a start.

These two colorchecker examples have the same gray balance, but they don't look the same.
https://www.kevinconnery.com/imaging/samples/colorchecker_saturation.jpg

There's also the issue that what we perceive as "good" skin tone is typically more saturated than what we perceive as "good" for most other subjects. (At least in most so-called western cultures. Eastern Asian ones tend to prefer them less saturated.)

Sep 02 09 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Kym Trice

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Jessica Loewen Retouch wrote:
I'm beginning to notice a trend when I color correct African American Skin.  I do my color corrections by eye, not by number so many of you may know this already but for those that don't:

To get that really nice natural glowing color:

1. Slide the Magenta way higher than you would expect to look natural.
2. Then slide the Yellow even higher, always put in more yellow than magenta.

I know this is a really simplified way to do skin tones, but 9 times out of 10 this little trick has gotten me a lot closer to the results I'm looking for.

Does the lighting matter or should this be a pretty standard method?

Sep 08 09 05:45 pm Link