Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Can't open RAW file with PS

Model

Zupo

Macedonia, Ohio, US

I just got a Sony Alpha A230 and I can't open the RAW file in Photoshop CS3, any ideas on how to fix this?

Sep 04 09 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Jason Duda Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zupo wrote:
I just got a Sony Alpha A230 and I can't open the RAW file in Photoshop CS3, any ideas on how to fix this?

go into Bridge, need drivers from camera raw

Sep 04 09 02:44 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

London, England, United Kingdom

it could be an older version of photoshop which doesnt support....
either upgrade or download the free DNG converter from adobe.

Sep 04 09 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Bright Candle Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Zupo wrote:

Have you Downloaded Adobe Camera Raw Plug-In 4.1.1?

Sep 04 09 02:46 am Link

Model

Zupo

Macedonia, Ohio, US

Bright Candle Photo wrote:

Have you Downloaded Adobe Camera Raw Plug-In 4.1.1?

No I haven't, where would I get that?

Sep 04 09 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

In the Bridge menu, go to Help--> Updates and update to the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw for Ps CS3. Could be, however, that the Sony is NOT supported in CS3...you may need CS4. You can research this yourself.

If not, Adobe has a free DNG converter that will convert the files into *.dng (Adobe Digital Negative RAW) files that you can then open/edit in CS3.

G/L,

Thomas

Aesthete Studios photography
Aesthete Studios Wedding photography

Sep 04 09 02:54 am Link

Model

Zupo

Macedonia, Ohio, US

Well I got the Adobe Camera RAW 4.1.1 plug in and that didn't do it, maybe I'll try the DNG converter

Sep 04 09 03:00 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

If you are still on CS3 -The Adobe DNG converter will be your only way.

Sep 04 09 03:07 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Zupo wrote:
Well I got the Adobe Camera RAW 4.1.1 plug in and that didn't do it, maybe I'll try the DNG converter

The last update for ACR in CS3 was 4.6.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/conten … -9317-9680

However, I'm pretty sure it does not support your camera.

Sep 04 09 06:55 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

Snap2 wrote:
If you are still on CS3 -The Adobe DNG converter will be your only way.

yup.

Or Sony software, then CS3.  I don't remember 100%, but I think you can either save the file as TIFF, or possibly PSD through the Sony software...

Sep 04 09 06:57 am Link

Photographer

Aryx

Stockton, California, US

You should have gotten software with the camera. It will open and convert the files for you.

Sep 04 09 07:00 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Zupo wrote:

Chris! Your gonna wet yerself!  I'm no further on since we were on skype this morning!

(to fill ye all in Chris and myself got new cameras this week and we have the same problem! He cant open his raw files and I cant open my ORF Raw from my Olympus E620 in PS and we're going mad!)

So anyway! I got the olympus orf plugin for PS (i'm on cs3 ext) and when I try and open it from the File - Import - Import Olympus Raw Image *insert whailing crying here* I get "Failed to load images" *sniff sniff sigh*

Sep 04 09 07:03 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Aryx wrote:
You should have gotten software with the camera. It will open and convert the files for you.

Yeah but we just wanna use photoshop on the raws, dont wanna have to convert the biotchs! lol We can convert them in the software provided, but we're looking to just open them in PS first, or in lightroom/bridge then into PS...coz the software provided is shite (well mine is anyway - theres no control and its S.L.O.W.)

Sep 04 09 07:06 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Ni Anluain wrote:
Yeah but we just wanna use photoshop on the raws, dont wanna have to convert the biotchs! lol We can convert them in the software provided, but we're looking to just open them in PS first, or in lightroom/bridge then into PS...coz the software provided is shite (well mine is anyway - theres no control and its S.L.O.W.)

Then you'll have to upgrade to CS4.  ACR support for the Sony A230, and Oly E-620 was not available until ACR 5.4.  Anything above ACR 4.6 requires LR 2 and/or CS4.

So, you'll either have to convert the files, upgrade to CS4, or you're SOL.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Sep 04 09 08:44 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

MEK Photography wrote:

That it? Upgrade to 4? I have it just not arsed loading it coz I like me 3 ext! Shit I thought it'd be real hard like!

*scampers off to load 4*

Thanks so much! *hugs MEK like a boa constrictor but stops short of passing out*

PS I have no idea what SOL is? LMAO! I know probably but can't remember!

Sep 04 09 08:50 am Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Ni Anluain wrote:
That it? Upgrade to 4? I have it just not arsed loading it coz I like me 3 ext! Shit I thought it'd be real hard like!

*scampers off to load 4*

Thanks so much! *hugs MEK like a boa constrictor but stops short of passing out*

PS I have no idea what SOL is? LMAO! I know probably but can't remember!

It means "shit outta luck", or in your case, "shite outta luck."  wink

Now, let's just hope your computer can run CS4...  There's a lot of issues with not having the right video card and OpenGL support...  hmm  But, if you don't that can be worked around.  You'll just not have some of the added functionality that comes with CS4 (not a really big deal if you're used to CS3).  Make sure you do all the updates though...

Sep 04 09 08:57 am Link

Photographer

normad

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

just convert them to dng
and load them with cs3 ...
easier ...

Sep 04 09 08:58 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Piscis Noctis wrote:
just convert them to dng
and load them with cs3 ...
easier ...

+1

Sep 04 09 09:15 am Link

Retoucher

IRIS retouch

San Diego, California, US

Do you have Adobe Photoshop Lightroom? It opens all raws I've been working on including Sony. You can edit raw file in "develop" menu .

Sep 04 09 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

batch convert them in irfanview.  then play with them in ps

Sep 04 09 09:52 am Link

Model

Zupo

Macedonia, Ohio, US

Thanks for all the help guys!! Yeah we were bitchin all night/morning trying to find away around a separate conversion, I ended up getting a DNG converter so I can switch the RAW files to .dng but I would still rather be able to just open them in PS cs3, sadface.

I am supposed to be acquiring cs4 eventually but I guess for now I will have to tolerate using the DNG Converter, grrrr!

Thanks again for all the help guys!! I appreciate it! big_smile big_smile

Sep 04 09 11:57 am Link

Model

Zupo

Macedonia, Ohio, US

MEK Photography wrote:

Then you'll have to upgrade to CS4.  ACR support for the Sony A230, and Oly E-620 was not available until ACR 5.4.  Anything above ACR 4.6 requires LR 2 and/or CS4.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Aww so I can't use this plug in with cs3? Damn money mongering Adobe bastards!! lol

Sep 04 09 12:18 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Zupo wrote:
I guess for now I will have to tolerate using the DNG Converter, grrrr!

It's extremely hard work. Helps if you get up real early and eat a big breakfast.

Sep 04 09 03:22 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Zupo wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys!! Yeah we were bitchin all night/morning trying to find away around a separate conversion, I ended up getting a DNG converter so I can switch the RAW files to .dng but I would still rather be able to just open them in PS cs3, sadface.

I am supposed to be acquiring cs4 eventually but I guess for now I will have to tolerate using the DNG Converter, grrrr!

Thanks again for all the help guys!! I appreciate it! big_smile big_smile

Oh yeah! I just remembered we're in a public forum so I cant call ya names! LOL! I have a classic for ya too......

But it revolves around my "children and learning" statement of yesterdays bitch fest! *insert evil laughter here*

OHHH!! Your going to be SO JEALOUS of the shot I have!! Consider it ON BIOTCH!

As for CS4 I'm getting a new spec computer with everything I can fecking get in it next month so I'm grinning and bearing it till then!

Sep 05 09 05:43 am Link