Photographer

MC Rock

New York, New York, US

A while ago I went through some monitor calibration issues that I eventually solved.

I used EyeOne and it didn't make Lightroom accurate enough. In the end, I think the solution was to set my monitor profile to ProPhoto RGB which is what LR uses. I'm not 100% sure that this is what I did.

After upgrading to Snow Leopard, my preferences were reset. So I did what I recalled, which was to switch to ProPhoto RGB and then I edited a bunch of images.

Now that they are done, they're all wrong after exporting them. My question is, is there any way to convert them during the export so that they look the way they look on my monitor at the moment?

As I think about what I did to fix the calibration issue, I remember moving something in to a Lightroom folder that at first did nothing, but then after a restart or something along those lines, totally change the color. I'll sort that out later, but for now I need to find someway to save all the work I've done.

Will something like sending them to Photoshop as ProPhoto and then saving from Photoshop make any difference?

Sep 04 09 01:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

MC Rock wrote:
In the end, I think the solution was to set my monitor profile to ProPhoto RGB ...

I'm no expert on color management, but if you did that, I'm pretty sure it was a mistake. Here's an article by Bruce Fraser that might help:

http://www.creativepro.com/article/out- … hotoshop-6

Sep 04 09 02:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

MC Rock wrote:
A while ago I went through some monitor calibration issues that I eventually solved.

I used EyeOne and it didn't make Lightroom accurate enough. In the end, I think the solution was to set my monitor profile to ProPhoto RGB which is what LR uses. I'm not 100% sure that this is what I did.

I would hope not. smile

When you calibrate a monitor, you're setting it up to a state close to what the standards call for. You then profile it to determine any remaining differences, and tell your operating system to use that profile to take those differences into account.

If you calibrated the display, then told the OS to use the ProPhotoRGB profile, I can guarantee your colors are not going to be correct. (Unless you have some display from 5-20 years in the future, as no display currently available comes anywhere near to having the gamut of the ProPhotoRGB space, nor anything resembling its response.)

Your best bet would be to run the calibration and profiling again under your current system, and be sure to use the profile from that run as your monitor's profile. (If the colors are off--or you're feeling paranoid suspenders-and-belt about it, go through the troubleshooting section of the Color Calibration and Management Reference thread.)

Sep 04 09 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

MC Rock

New York, New York, US

I understand what I should have done, but what I really need to know is if there is a way to convert the finished photos so that they look right without going back and adjusting all 130 individually.

The problem comes form using a laptop monitor. I found a setting that worked better than calibrating with Eye One, the problem is that I don't remember what it was before Snow Leopard changed my preferences.

Sep 04 09 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

MC Rock

New York, New York, US

I ended up solving the problem with the color adjustment sliders. 3-4 slightly different versions were able to cover the change for the 4 scenes.

Sep 04 09 06:35 pm Link