Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Best way to create "big cat" skin?

Photographer

Lumisa

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Hi,

I thought it would be nice to create cheetah / leopard skin.
It would "suit" well for the model who is one of those "cat looking" beauties!

Any suggestions (maybe even a link to a tutorial?) how to achieve this?
I'm not after any 'copy / paste cheetah picture to a separate layer and mask it' method but something a bit more sophisticated process.

Thanks

Sep 06 09 05:09 am Link

Model

Noglamourboy

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Something like this?

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090803/18/4a778a6d6d536_m.jpg

Sep 06 09 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Lumisa

That's really great job and interesting composition too...but I was more after painting over the whole body of the model...and that makes it hard with all those curves of the body and shadow changes etc...

Sep 06 09 05:40 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Lumisa wrote:
I was more after painting over the whole body of the model...and that makes it hard with all those curves of the body and shadow changes etc...

Ultimately, hand tuning or painting is what it comes down to, but there are some things which will help get you much closer much more quickly.

Take a flat representation of your texture--the animal pattern--and use a displacement map based on the brightness of your subject to distort it. Then use liquify to further refine the shaping. There are a lot of tutorials online for displacement maps; this one is a good intro.

Sep 06 09 10:26 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Kevin_Connery wrote:

Ultimately, hand tuning or painting is what it comes down to, but there are some things which will help get you much closer much more quickly.

Take a flat representation of your texture--the animal pattern--and use a displacement map based on the brightness of your subject to distort it. Then use liquify to further refine the shaping. There are a lot of tutorials online for displacement maps; this one is a good intro.

+1

I like doing it manually, but just because I love to do things the HARD way - masochist retoucher.

Sep 06 09 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Lumisa

@Kevin
Thanks, you're the man!

Well, I must have read about this technic previously....but hey, if you don't use it you don't master it...and most likely you don't remember it when there is a need if you don't master it! smile
Thank you for reminding me! smile

Sep 06 09 01:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
I like doing it manually, but just because I love to do things the HARD way - masochist retoucher.

Yeah, well, you can get away with it because you're talented (and patient). Us hacks what gots no artistic skills tend to use the mechanical help--it's the only way we can keep from falling too far behind.

Seriously, I'd love to be able to do what some of the better retoucher/illustrators can do by hand, but I simply haven't got the skills.

Sep 06 09 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Sep 06 09 01:45 pm Link