Forums > Model Colloquy > Hair advice...

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

I have long really thick hair.  It is slightly wavy and I have a cowlick on my left side on the front.  I also wear glasses.  Here's the question...should I get bangs?  I'm thinking the typical pinup-ey Bettie Page style thing that all the little gothy pinup-ey girls do.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's done to death, but I've never done it.  If not this style, what?  I'm just not sure if it would be too heavy for my face or what kind of versatility it would offer.  Any advice from hair stylists and/or girls with bangs?

Jul 15 05 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Skip the bangs.  I don't think your face would look good with them.

Paul

Jul 15 05 02:54 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I had to find a headshot first, and after looking at "I love this headshot! Hair and makeup by me. ", I agree with Paul.

I have side swept bangs or fringe, and also wavy hair, and it's a recent "cut" for me, but I really like it smile And this was after a bad experience with super curly straight across thick bangs in the 80s (thanks mom! tongue)

Jul 15 05 05:09 pm Link

Model

Jenni

Chicago, Illinois, US

if you have a cowlick I wouldnt recomend bangs, the weight of longer hair helps weigh down the cowlick. but if you do go with bangs, get a good flat iron like a chi. its expensive but its worth it.

Jul 17 05 10:44 pm Link

Model

Michelle West2

San Diego, California, US

I have the CHI best appliance I ever bought. I got mine at Trade Secrets. It was about $120. Soo worth it instead of using a cheap ceramic iron or a cheap drug store one.

I wouldnt go with bangs either. Your hair might go poofy than instead of bangs b/c there is no more hair weighing it down. You have great red hair just keep it healthy.

Jul 17 05 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

ask an agency or a professional hairstylist that works on paid jobs and ask not just one.

Even if you are not with said agency if you approach them correctly they might answer your question.  but at least you would know it was correct.
but it all depends on your market.

Look at the haircut on chi chi monster.  She cut that herself.  It was awesome for her but not for others.

Jul 18 05 12:08 am Link

Model

munyeka

Arcadia, California, US

the biggest factor for having bangs and choosing which style suits you best in my mind is the shape of your hairline. also, you may be hesitant to cut bangs b'cos your hair is so long. growing them out while maintaining long hair doesn't work well. just my two cents tho...
xoxo -denise

Jul 18 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Your current avatar makes it look like your head is cut off at the neck. It goes to black before the top of the photo.

I think you should just try different heads and see which one looks best with your body. Optional heads would add versatility to any model's portfolio....

Jul 18 05 02:13 pm Link

Model

Shelly Rae

Dallas, Georgia, US

That's a great idea!  How come no one has ever thought about that before??  Does anyone know of any good head-removal doctors in the Dallas area?

tongue

Jul 18 05 07:21 pm Link