Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Selective Color and CMYK gamut warning

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

So, somebody was touting the usefulness of Selective Color in another thread, and it was on my mind while I was doing some prepress color conversions this weekend.

I've usually used Curves or Hue/Saturation and tedious color sampling and masking to correct for out-of-gamut colors (okay, I know it doesn't take that long, but anything's tedious if you do it enough times in a row).

So yesterday I tried adding a Selective Color layer to correct a royal blue dress that had patches out of gamut in the printer's custom profile. I just pulled a little magenta out of the Blues - then a little bit more, then a little bit more, and then I started to really doubt its usefulness as the luminosity and saturation of the fabric shifted far too much. It occurred to me to change the blend mode to Color, and not only was the luminosity problem straightened out, I was suddenly able to get away with much less adjustment to get everything in gamut.

I added a mask out of habit, but in subsequent images, the adjustment is so subtle (also I eventually settled on Hue blend mode) that I stopped bothering.

Hopefully, If Robert Randall checks in to post a warning of the terrible dangers inherent to this method, he does it soon...

Sep 07 09 03:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

ezpkns retouching wrote:
just pulled a little magenta out of the Blues - then a little bit more, then a little bit more, and then I started to really doubt its usefulness as the luminosity and saturation of the fabric shifted far too much.

Theres no problem with using Selective Colour to desarurate colours, in fact its better to do it this way than with Hue/sat:

Its adding yellow to blues and to cyans that will desaturate them. Try this in Selective Colour.  The result (not so destructive) will look much the same as if you had pulled saturation out of blues in Hue/sat. Luminosity shifts can be controlled with "blacks" which infact  puts neutral density into the image (while in RGB).

Saturation can be controlled with any colour adjustment. Hue Saturation is actually an very destructive adjustment, because when using 'hue' it moves channel data around, crudely masked from surrounding areas. Of course Curves can also be used to carefully put the 'unwanted' colour into highly saturated colors. "Unwanted' means the opposing color.

It is what you put into saturated colours that desaturates them. Find the opposite colour and introduce that. You might think logic would tell you that its what you take out, but thats not how it works.

Sep 08 09 04:11 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

I was a little vague in my initial post... I could tell onscreen that it was the "purpleness" of the royal blue that was going overboard, hence starting with magenta. I'm glad you posted, however, as this tip is useless without a little color theory.

PS the image was already CMYK (albeit wrong profile). I was limited to controlling how much the color and luminosity flattened out - rather than leaving it to the whims of the RIP.

Sep 08 09 04:38 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

If you are in CMYK the whole thing changes -   of the three coloured inks, adding yellow has the most effect on density, because apparenlty yellow ink behaves this way. If you need to take mag out, then balance it by putting equal amounts of yellow and cyan in. You may find that this works better than taking the M out. Again there's no problem in using Selective Colour to desaturate

Sep 08 09 04:50 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

The key for me was changing the blend mode to Hue or Color; that got rid of the gamut warning with a minimum of visual shift in color or luminosity. The ultimate numeric effect of changing blend modes may indeed have been the same as adding yellow, but with 90+ pages left to examine, I just appreciated the speed and intuitiveness of my new shortcut.

Sep 08 09 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

The HS and Selective Color tools are approximately the same thing, in that they work on the principles of a color matrix. Add yellow to blue, and watch numbers change in magenta and cyan, be it ever so slightly.  They can't help but change because the moves are predicated on image color balance, or a matrix. Because all matix tools revolve around RGB, you won't notice any movement in the K channel, unless you are trying to affect neutral density, which is white, gray or black in the SC tool. You can read more about it here...

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/GDI-plus/colormatrix.aspx

Note that when using these tools, you are actually going through RGB moves in color which are then approximated in CMYK, sort of like an on the fly soft proof. In terms of color correcting in CMYK, they are a sorry replacement for what you really need to do.

If you want to make a specific color move in CMYK, select the errant color, then on a duplicate layer, isolate the offending channel and fill it with black or white to taste. In your case, you wanted to pull a little magenta out of the blue, so isolate that blue color with a mask, then add white to the magenta channel through that mask. Depending on how much magenta contamination is apparent, you may start with a heavy amount of white fill, or a slight amount of white fill. Note that this technique is different than using a curve because you are globally affecting the magenta content as opposed to a linear affect on it.

When you change the layer to color or hue, your tonal balance should come back within reason. If you need more or less density, you can always add black to the K channel through the color mask you made, or you can add a density layer in multiply or any of a thousand other little tricks.

As far as selective color being more or less destructive than any other tool, it really isn't any different than any other tool that relies on a matrix. And if you use the tool as a layer adjustment, there is no destructive element at all.

Of the 4 inks that are typically used in normal offset printing, yellow is the most pure. That is measured in terms of reflectance, not density. Typically, on press, not in file, you will need less yellow than any other ink because of how well yellow reflects light. Cyan is the most impure, and therefore requires more density both in file and on press. Most people assume that what they have in their file is what will be used on press, and this simply isn't true. The pressman will make all manner of density adjustments to either suit the visual requirements of the client, or the percentage requirements of a densitometer. In file, yellow gets or gives no more special treatment than magenta or black. Cyan, being the crap ink, does get special treatment in file.

Finally, its not the color that you put into a color that desaturates it, it is the density you pull out that desaturates it. If you use SC to add color to a channel that is posterized, meaning it is already at 100% of capacity, you are really just masking the effects of that saturation by introducing color contaminant density in other channels, or basically a lop sided GCR approach, which will be muddy. And this density may come back at press time to bite you in the butt. If you want to remove saturation from a CMYK channel, and maintain color fidelity, you need to add white to that specific channel. You can do it any number of ways... apply image in add mode, fill with white through a color select mask, a curve, etc. You can use SC to remove color from a posterized channel, but it needs to be that specific channel color, cyan from cyan, magenta from magenta, etc. Lots of ways to skin this cat, but HS and SC aren't normally the route I would take.

Sep 08 09 09:23 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

With respect most of that post seems to have been designed to dispute what I carefully wrote in mine

Robert Randall wrote:
The HS and Selective Color tools are approximately the same thing,

Unfortunately that is untrue - they use completely different mathematical means, Hue saturation does create harsh transitions and is more destructive- its the Hue/sat hue hue slider and channel mixer that are interchangeable. Even Curves and Levels (endpoints and midpoints i mean for anyone determined to dispute me) even though they produce similar visual result actually use different math so are not completely interchangeable.

Robert Randall wrote:
Finally, its not the color that you put into a color that desaturates it, it is the density you pull out that desaturates it.

Again not the whole case I'm afraid, suggesting someone who has never worked in press. A single colour or combination of colours can be added to any saturated colour to desaturate it. Yellow to blue cyan to red. Much less problematic in the world of CMYK than taking ink out. Pulling ink out on press will affect both luminance making colors washed out. 

Read Dan Margulis very old book on colour retouching - he says precisely the same thing

Your point about not exceeding total density is of course true, but in practice slightly boosting most colour channels will not push density further than max ink. Density is controlled in CMYK partly with the black channel

Sep 08 09 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
Unfortunately that is untrue - they use completely different mathematical means, Hue saturation does create harsh transitions and is more destructive- its the Hue/sat hue hue slider and channel mixer that are interchangeable. Even Curves and Levels (endpoints and midpoints i mean for anyone determined to dispute me) even though they produce similar visual result actually use different math so are not completely interchangeable.

Can you provide an Adobe or Adobe-based source for this information?  First I've heard of it.

Sep 08 09 11:59 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

I'm pretty sure he has worked in press at some point.

However, I'm also very interested in the math differences between different functions. Possibly for the added predictive powers it would give me, possibly because I'm a nerd.

Sep 08 09 12:12 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Ok

Hue/saturation evens the channels - in order to do this it has to keep luminosity the same, so it does its own very crude form of balancing act.

Taking saturation down in a CMYK file using Hue/sat will make it brown not gray, try taking it to zero as an experiment. This is because it evens out the three colour channels, making brown not neutral gray. That's the first reason that using hue/sat in CMYK is not advised and never has been.

If you mean about the Curves and Levels - you will not be able to produce the exact same result using the midpoint value in curves as you will with the midpoint slider in levels- use the difference method , or Apply Image subract 1 offset 128, and do two adjustments, and you will not be able to precisely create the same pixel values

Sep 08 09 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Snap2 wrote:
With respect most of that post seems to have been designed to dispute what I carefully wrote in mine

Robert Randall wrote:
The HS and Selective Color tools are approximately the same thing,

Again not the whole case I'm afraid, suggesting someone who has never worked in press. A single colour or combination of colours can be added to any saturated colour to desaturate it. Yellow to blue cyan to red. Much less problematic in the world of CMYK than taking ink out. Pulling ink out on press will affect both luminance making colors washed out. 

Read Dan Margulis very old book on color retouching - he says precisely the same thing

Your point about not exceeding total density is of course true, but in practice slightly boosting most colour channels will not push density further than max ink. Density is controlled in CMYK partly with the black channel

I did not write anything to dispute your efforts, I wrote it because it is true and factual. I have no intention of getting into a pissing match with anyone, but after 35 years of prepress work, I'm not going to stand idly by when I see situations that can be better served by a different workflow.

If you have a magenta screen plate that is 100% density, how does adding yellow or cyan to the file, decrease the saturation of the magenta plate. You will be raising the gray component, and possibly the appearance of saturation will diminish, but the magenta plate will remain at 100%, which is completely saturated.

I have spent somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred hours in the same room as Dan Margulis, hanging on every word he spoke, and I have probably read the book you're referencing at least a dozen times if not more. What he says about the unwanted color is that you can use it to retain or increase shape in an object. Hence the example picture of the lime in his color theory book. While adding unwanted color to a file may actually gray out the affected areas and give the appearance of desaturation, you are still left with a problem of ink densities.

I never suggested removing ink on press was an option, I simply said the pressman has ink levels as a control device should he want it, and typically, no file makes its way to final ink on paper without the pressman exerting his control over ink densities. And sometimes they do pull color out.

Selective color and hue/saturation tools may or may not use the same math to get to an end point, I couldn't tell you. What I've been told, and shown the graphs to back it up, is that they both use a matrix to arrive at their conclusion, and that is all I said. In my thinking, that makes them interchangeable.

Typically, contrast is controlled by the black channel, and density is controlled by all channels in concert. Although you can elect to control density with the black channel, it will result in a loss of chromaticity. This is well illustrated in the resultant file when you increase the black component of a GCR separation.

You mentioned a number of times the math component in the tools we're discussing. Since I have no idea what those equations are, and you seem to know, can you provide the source for them. Also, everyone I've ever spoken with about the difference between curves and levels says they are identical until you start introducing movement in the curve between the endpoints and the mid point.

Sep 08 09 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Snap2 wrote:
Ok

Hue/saturation evens the channels - in order to do this it has to keep luminosity the same, so it does its own very crude form of balancing act.

Taking saturation down in a CMYK file using Hue/sat will make it brown not gray, try taking it to zero as an experiment. This is because it evens out the three colour channels, making brown not neutral gray. That's the first reason that using hue/sat in CMYK is not advised and never has been.

It doesn't make anything brown, it makes it perfectly neutral, which in the CMYK world, means it will proof a slightly reddish cast due to the impurities in the cyan ink. The brown you reference is Adobe's attempt at approximating that cast through a soft proof on your monitor. Take that same file to a pre press shop and have it proofed on a Kodak Approval, and it will simply appear to have a very slight red cast. Adobe's soft proof approximation of that cast is completely off target.

Sep 08 09 01:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Robert Randall wrote:
If you have a magenta screen plate that is 100% density,

No one ever said anything aboit 100% density, you did

Robert Randall wrote:
What I've been told, and shown the graphs to back it up, is that they both use a matrix to arrive at their conclusion

I have absiluetly no idea what the 'matrix' is apart from a very well made movie starring Keanu Reeves. Selective color uses the smoothest transitions the drop off between color groups is better and smoother. Basic experimentation will show you this

Very few people in professional colour correction use hue/sat - and its actually something that people are trained not to do, in CMYK

Robert Randall wrote:
Typically, contrast is controlled by the black channel, and density is controlled by all channels in concert. Although you can elect to control density with the black channel, it will result in a loss of chromaticity.

Contrast can be controlled in a variety of ways in CMYK. The black channel alone will not do a sufficient job in a colour file. Monochome or undersaturated images benefit from a stronger black channel, and in these rare files yes the black channel can be used successfully to control contrast, but its ridiculous to suggest that that's the way to do it. "after 35 years of prepress work" yeah well you are demonstrating some curious lack of basic knowledge I have to say Robert. Sorry

Sep 08 09 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
I have absiluetly no idea what the 'matrix' is apart from a very well made movie starring Keanu Reeves. Selective color uses the smoothest transitions the drop off between color groups is better and smoother. Basic experimentation will show you this

You know the inner code for PS, but don't know what a color matrix operation is?  Funny how education works.

Still looking for that Adobe citation?

Sep 08 09 01:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Robert Randall wrote:
It doesn't make anything brown, it makes it perfectly neutral, which in the CMYK world, means it will proof a slightly reddish cast due to the impurities in the cyan ink. The brown you reference is Adobe's attempt at approximating that cast through a soft proof on your monitor. Take that same file to a pre press shop and have it proofed on a Kodak Approval, and it will simply appear to have a very slight red cast. Adobe's soft proof approximation of that cast is completely off target.

Oh ferchrissake Robert, take a CMYK file and TRY IT. Use the eyedropper measure your channels see that C.M and Y are the same that equals Brown not gray. Impurities in the cyan ink are what makes it brown. The word neutral means gray. If you can't see that's brown, then you need to recalibrate your monitor.

Sep 08 09 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Snap2 wrote:

Robert Randall wrote:
If you have a magenta screen plate that is 100% density,

No one ever said anything aboit 100% density, you did

Robert Randall wrote:
What I've been told, and shown the graphs to back it up, is that they both use a matrix to arrive at their conclusion

Very few people in professional colour correction use hue/sat - and its actually something that people are trained not to do, in CMYK

Contrast can be controlled in a variety of ways in CMYK. The black channel alone will not do a sufficient job in a colour file. Monochome or undersaturated images benefit from a stronger black channel, and in these rare files yes the black channel can be used successfully to control contrast, but its ridiculous to suggest that that's the way to do it. "after 35 years of prepress work" yeah well you are demonstrating some curious lack of basic knowledge I have to say Robert. Sorry

You are behaving like an asshole, which means you are no longer worth my time.

Sep 08 09 01:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

This is absolutely ridiculous. Its like going into a bar full of old men desperately trying to defend their supposed 'expertise'

- I dont need a 'citation', this is not a legal case - Adobe don't publish such things and never have. Ive been using photoshop since version 4 and never seen such detailed explanations of the inner workings of their software. For good reasons. Did you even bother to do my tests? Did you manage to create a levels and curves that did exactly the same thing?

Sep 08 09 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
Did you even bother to do my tests? Did you manage to create a levels and curves that did exactly the same thing?

I was actually more curious as to what you were basing the Hue / Sat assertions on?   I'll try to the curves / levels thing after bit.

Sep 08 09 01:29 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Snap2 wrote:
Ok

If you mean about the Curves and Levels - you will not be able to produce the exact same result using the midpoint value in curves as you will with the midpoint slider in levels- use the difference method , or Apply Image subract 1 offset 128, and do two adjustments, and you will not be able to precisely create the same pixel values

Until just now, I've not used Hue/Sat in CMYK, as I rarely work in CMYK, and besides, I was told not to. It is interesting, regardless of the underlying mechanics, but I find the differences in behavior of all the color modes fascinating.

The Curves/Levels difference is interesting as well. Just because I have no current use for the information, doesn't mean it'll never come in handy. Thanks for contributing.

Snap2, meet Robert Randall. Not one to toot his own horn, let me just say that he's something of an "elder statesman" here, and also very generous about sharing his decades of experience in photography, prepress and digital imaging.

EDIT: got distracted while typing this reply - apparently in the interim you have gotten better acquainted already.

Sep 08 09 01:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Sean to defend my hue/sat argument - Take a hue sat layer and move the Hue slider in an RGB file. Now look at your channels. What you are seeing is the Red green and blue channels directly SWAPPING with each other. Exactly the same as a Channel mix. In CMYK thats like trying to do an operation with a pickaxe

Sep 08 09 01:36 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

ezpkns wrote:
Snap2, meet Robert Randall. Not one to toot his own horn, let me just say that he's something of an "elder statesman" here, and also very generous about sharing his decades of experience in photography, prepress and digital imaging.

Yes I realise this. But it doesn't stop someone coming in who happens to know more about a single subject does it? really should this be the case? no-one, myself included, can pretend to be an expert at everything. I spent 4 years colour correcting every day and night, I'm afraid that entitles me to some knowledge. And I'm absolutely sure Robert knows many things that I don't.

ezpkns wrote:
The Curves/Levels difference is interesting as well. Just because I have no current use for the information, doesn't mean it'll never come in handy. Thanks for contributing.

Yes I dont think many people would have much use for that information, point taken

Sep 08 09 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
Sean to defend my hue/sat argument - Take a hue sat layer and move the Hue slider in an RGB file. Now look at your channels. What you are seeing is the Red green and blue channels directly SWAPPING with each other. Exactly the same as a Channel mix. In CMYK thats like trying to do an operation with a pickaxe

I understand what you're saying about the H/S layer in that context; my only argument is that there is no 'proof' that these are so different.  Certainly, it doesn't respond well in CMYK, but that doesn't actually need to be so.  Running it through a color matrix can allow conversion to, operation on (adjusting hue), and return to CMYK in a few simple operations.  The limiting factors become the bit depth worked at originally (8bit users will always suffer more here) and the accuracy to which the internal constants operate within PS itself (something everyone will suffer).

As to the levels / curves thing, I actually am going to have to disagree with you here, at least as far as capacity is concerned.  I spent about ~1-2 minutes to make a pseudo-gamma curve which replicated a levels midpoint adjustment of 1.5 to within 2/255 accuracy in each channel.  I feel rather confident that a bit more effort at refinement could do even better, though I'm not inclined to spend the time at the moment.  For its purpose, levels would be an easier option, but one shouldn't interpret that to mean that curves isn't capable of producing the same result, as it clearly can.

Sep 08 09 01:47 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Sean Baker wrote:
but one shouldn't interpret that to mean that curves isn't capable of producing the same result,

The same mathematical result no, visually yes - do an analysis of the MATH difference using the Apply Image I suggested. In this method, used to accurately determine the differences in two layers, 128 gray equals precisely the same value anything else doesnt.

As I still have no idea what a 'matrix' is, it would be useful to know why the Selective Color produces such lovely smooth transitions between colour groups, and Hue sat looks like its been carved with a broad sword.

Sep 08 09 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
The same mathematical result no, visually yes - do an analysis of the MATH difference using the Apply Image I suggested. In this method, used to accurately determine the differences in two layers, 128 gray equals precisely the same value anything else doesnt.

I know how to do it, and that's what I said - with 90 seconds effort, I had a curve which was accurate to 2/255 in each channel.  By your technique, that would result in values with a maximum of 127 or 129 in the gray layer.  Not 100% accurate, but not a lot of time spent.   I'm not arguing that it's easy to make such a curve (though one could easily write a program to output a desired gamma curve to a PS curve file), only that it is possible without causing destruction of the image data.  It's no big deal - levels is still more efficient to the singular task, only mathematically intriguing that they're still capable of doing the same things in different ways.  Figuring out how to pull down the Curves midpoint in Levels would be a lot more amusing IMO wink.

Sep 08 09 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
As I still have no idea what a 'matrix' is, it would be useful to know why the Selective Color produces such lovely smooth transitions between colour groups, and Hue sat looks like its been carved with a broad sword.

Sadly, this may be as simple as how old the code is within PS, and whether anyone updated the HS code when they introduced adjustment layers and brought Selective Color on board.  Clearly they use different math; it's simply a question of with what precision that math is being performed and what the accuracy of the operands in each is.

More generally, a color matrix is simply a mathematical matrix against which color values from one color space are multiplied in order to produce a second matrix containing the values of a different color space.  Hence why precision both of the variables themselves as well as the constants (values within the matrix - perhaps your culprit in your larger questions) is so vital.

Sep 08 09 01:59 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

ezpkns wrote:

Snap2 wrote:
Yes I dont think many people would have much use for that information, point taken

Actually, that time I wasn't being facetious. I do appreciate everyone's contributions, for as you pointed out, everyone knows different things. And I'm a sucker for weird PS factoids like the Levels Curves thing.

Even desaturating  with Hue/Sat in CMYK... it certainly wasn't neutral, but it wasn't unpleasant. I might never have tried it without this thread. I file it all away for future reference.

Sep 08 09 02:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Ok Sean, so the 'matrix' is a way of translating RGB to HSB values mode for a Hue/sat adjustment. And for CMYK to RGB Selective Colour- requires its own matrix? I get it.

Guess thats the reason then that Hue/sat is so much more destructive. CMY is easier to translate into RGB obviously

We are getting there.

Sep 08 09 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
Ok Sean, so the 'matrix' is a way of translating RGB to HSB values mode for a Hue/sat adjustment. And for CMYK to RGB Selective Colour- requires its own matrix? I get it.

Guess thats the reason then that Hue/sat is so much more destructive. CMY is easier to translate into RGB obviously

We are getting there.

You're on track with the matrix piece, though to be accurate, it's widely believed (and supported by insiders and evidence) that all color conversions are twofold within PS - one to its internal LAB or LAB-based representation, and another to to the target.  I.e. RGB -> CMYK is really RGB -> LAB -> CMYK.

CMYK shouldn't necessarily be a lossy conversion between it and HSB, though, as I'm not sure that there are colorspace issues between them.  I'll take a look unless someone more knowledgeable chimes in shortly.

Sep 08 09 02:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Yes I knew that all color conversions go through LAB. Of course very specific profile conversions need a visual reference and LAB provides that reference. LAB represents the appearance of colours so that these very specific conversions can take place as accurately as possible. As far as I'm aware that has been confirmed by Adobe, Bruce Fraser certainly wrote about it.

But what this is about is - for example a hue sat layer in a CMYK file, or a Selective Colour layer in an RGB file  - surely these can't reference LAB? there's no reason for this, because I'm sure that these arbitary adjustments don't reference Colour settings or anything else. Maybe an internal formula, what you are calling 'matrix' yes

Sep 08 09 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

To be clear, you're suggesting that Hue/Sat can't accurately shift hue in CMYK - do I understand that right?

[Trying to work out the residual issues]

Sep 08 09 02:40 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

No of course I'm not suggesting that. It can shift hue, but will not do the same as balanced light channels in RGB. Thanks for trying to catch me out. As far as I know it just does the same as it does in an RGB file using the CMY channels

People have long argued that hue/sat should be updated so that it handles true saturation properly in CMYK

Sep 08 09 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
No of course I'm not suggesting that. Thanks for trying to catch me out. As far as I know it just does the same as it does in an RGB file using the CMY channels

People have long argued that hue/sat should be updated so that it handles true saturation properly in CMYK

It's saturation which is a problem then?  I know you've identified an issue - I just want to replicate it for my own edification big_smile.

Sep 08 09 02:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

No hue is a problem too. Shift the hue in REDS and look what it does to the crossover areas. Selective Colour will eventually do this but its a damn sight less destructive. My point all along

Sep 08 09 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
No hue is a problem too. Shift the hue in REDS and look what it does to the crossover areas. Selective Colour will eventually do this but its a damn site less destructive. My point all along

Ahhhh, the issue then isn't the math going on way behind the scenes but rather the manner in which the adjustment range is being determined.  Much like Levels is more appropriate to adjusting gamma, then, as a simple workflow issue, Selective Color makes more sense while working in CMYK?

Sep 08 09 02:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Sean Baker wrote:
but rather the manner in which the adjustment range is being determined.

Yes its not just the range, that can be controlled in Hue/sat with the sliders. Its the method of assessing that range, whatever that is.

Sean Baker wrote:
Selective Color makes more sense while working in CMYK?

Yes and produces a more controllable result. It also works better in RGB than hue/sat does.

Sep 08 09 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:

Yes its not just the range, that can be controlled in Hue/sat with the sliders. Its the method of assessing that range, whatever that is.

I suspect, based on the interface and human nature, that it uses the same ugly-*** code which underlies the Blend-If sliders in the layers dialog.  *shudder*

Sep 08 09 03:03 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

Blend-if uses a version of luminosity, probably a different one to the thing used in gradient mapping and Luminosity blend mode. I dont know. Can't really be the same as the colour ranges in Hue/sat though

Sep 08 09 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

doctorontop

La Condamine, La Condamine, Monaco

I think Hue/sat was re-written for CS3 for Lab purposes but I have to agree with snap that selective colour handles colour shifts in a far more empathetic way than hue/sat in RGB/CYMK.

Sep 08 09 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
Yes and produces a more controllable result. It also works better in RGB than hue/sat does.

For Hue adjustments you mean?

Sep 08 09 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

Snap2 wrote:
Blend-if uses a version of luminosity, probably a different one to the thing used in gradient mapping and Luminosity blend mode. I dont know. Can't really be the same as the colour ranges in Hue/sat though

I mean in the algorithm it uses to blend the selected region.  That is, I can select a luminosity range with Blend If which I could also select with a couple of layer masks, but the layer masks given me a much better & smoother result.  Similarly, I'm suggesting that the Hue Sat layer uses a very lossy manner of handling the selection range, quite possibly sharing code with the Blend-Ifs.  That the data are in a different format is in many ways irrelevant.

Also fwiw (not much IMO - I think it's a great idea with terribly implementation), Blend-If can base off of any channel, so R, G, B, and gray (close, but not quite Lum) are options while working in RGB.

Sep 08 09 03:37 pm Link