Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > I locked myself out?

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

So I was re-touching, and cropping getting ready to make new prints for my port, when on 2 of the 4 images pops up that "this image is locked and I need to view the properties." I did, read only was not checked on any of them, and now that I closed them out of photoshop I am not allowed to open them back up from their saved location because I do not have permission. I'm lost....I might just try a system restore or something. But please, if you know something that would be great. And I was working on all 4 of the images at the same time and only 2 got locked, from the same camera, same day, same location.

Thank you.

Sep 08 09 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

fine art nudes by paul

Oakland, California, US

mac or windows?

Sep 08 09 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Oh, windows sorry.

Sep 08 09 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Any help out there? smile

Sep 08 09 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Lumigraphics

Detroit, Michigan, US

Cody Winfrey wrote:
So I was re-touching, and cropping getting ready to make new prints for my port, when on 2 of the 4 images pops up that "this image is locked and I need to view the properties." I did, read only was not checked on any of them, and now that I closed them out of photoshop I am not allowed to open them back up from their saved location because I do not have permission. I'm lost....I might just try a system restore or something. But please, if you know something that would be great. And I was working on all 4 of the images at the same time and only 2 got locked, from the same camera, same day, same location.

Thank you.

Can you copy it to a new folder and open the copy?

Sep 08 09 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

fine art nudes by paul

Oakland, California, US

Cody Winfrey wrote:
Any help out there? smile

sorry, been a long time since I've dealt with windows but try looking at the folder properties and see if you have read/write access to it.  Even if you have access to a file inside the folder you may not have access to the folder itself.  and yes, this could go up to the folder that contains the folder that contains the photos, all the way to the drive itself.

Sep 08 09 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Well thanks, that folder did appear to have read only checked, though when I fixed it it said error on the 2 locked images and nothing changes......ERRRG!

So the folder is read only, but only 2 of the 4 are affected. hmm....

Sep 08 09 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

fine art nudes by paul

Oakland, California, US

Cody Winfrey wrote:
Well thanks, that folder did appear to have read only checked, though when I fixed it it said error on the 2 locked images and nothing changes......ERRRG!

if i remember correctly there is a little checkbox that says something like "apply to all enclosed items"  check that and see what it does.  oh, and might as well just check the two files in question too, to be safe

Sep 08 09 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

dirtyoldman photography wrote:

if i remember correctly there is a little checkbox that says something like "apply to all enclosed items"  check that and see what it does.  oh, and might as well just check the two files in question too, to be safe

Yeah still no luck. and now I'm just baffled, lord.

Sep 08 09 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Lumigraphics wrote:

Can you copy it to a new folder and open the copy?

No....I cannot. Well I guess I will try a system restore here in a minute if something can't fix this. These were my finished edits too.........

Sep 08 09 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Magers

Fullerton, California, US

Try this. Go into bridge and browse to the files. If there is a padlock on them.  I think you just right click and say unlock... I will check my system for confirmation

Sep 08 09 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Michael Magers wrote:
Try this. Go into bridge and browse to the files. If there is a padlock on them.  I think you just right click and say unlock... I will check my system for confirmation

That's not it eitherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr god how did this even happen!??! I was simply changing the image size for prints and saved it into a new folder and they got locked.

Sep 08 09 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

is the folder set so that only one login id can access the files?

Sep 08 09 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

JT Hodges wrote:
is the folder set so that only one login id can access the files?

Meaning the admin? Well it's me so I guess that's not it.

Sep 08 09 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Try browsing the image using any other program, I've had luck with faststone image viewer (free download from faststone.org), and save the image in another location (Ctr D).

Restart the computer and then see if the new location image opens.

Sep 08 09 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Digiography wrote:
Try browsing the image using any other program, I've had luck with faststone image viewer (free download from faststone.org), and save the image in another location (Ctr D).

Restart the computer and then see if the new location image opens.

I'll try resetting now, and then this new program. Thanks.

Sep 08 09 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Cody Winfrey

Spokane, Washington, US

Cody Winfrey wrote:

I'll try resetting now, and then this new program. Thanks.

Well that was stupid, now the glitched locked images have disappeared from the folder all together. Crappppppp Looks like I need another hour or so to re-edit.....Oh well thanks for the help everyone.

Sep 08 09 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Now that it's safely too late, what's probably happened is that the security descriptors for the files got munched. The way to fix it is to right click on the drive, go to "properties" and choose "tools" then tell it to check for errors and select the 'fix' item. Do not select bad sector recovery. Then it'll either check it right then (and should fix it, review the report) or it'll make you reboot and check on the reboot.

Sep 08 09 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Cody Winfrey wrote:

Well that was stupid, now the glitched locked images have disappeared from the folder all together. Crappppppp Looks like I need another hour or so to re-edit.....Oh well thanks for the help everyone.

Sorry, that is why I suggested trying to copy the image to a new location first before restarting, I should of emphasized that step more.

Sep 08 09 07:39 pm Link