Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Looks you refuse to do !

Retoucher

Retoucher

Los Angeles, California, US

So I have an interesting question for make up artists, hair stylists, and wardrobe stylists alike...

Is there a certain "look" that you just refuse to do ! Like you hate it so much, you just don't want your name associated to it at all ?

I went in to get a hair cut not too long ago and we were talking about different hair styles and it came up how there were only two hairstyles that this particular lady refused to do. The only one I really remember was the "Rose O' Donnell" lol 

Share the pet peeves in looks .

- Phen

Sep 10 09 04:52 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Paying client?
They get zebra stripes all day long.
And lingerie, too.

Portfolio?
Unless I can turn a cliche upside down, inside out and backwards while standing on its head... um, NO. Not so much.

Sep 10 09 04:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

I definitely wouldn't refuse a look. I mean, if the client wants it, she wants it. One client asked me to make her look like 'a motel whore' with enthusiasm (she was a stripper), and I covered her eyes from lash line to brow in baby blue cream shadow and glitter...fuschia lips and blush. It was completely heinous but she loved it. Certainly I wouldn't have CHOSEN to do that look, but it made her happy and she was paying me lol. And it was super easy to do.

Sep 10 09 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

Haha you guys are being too noble lol ... (Jordan come on you can do better lol jk)

I mean what looks do you absolutely hate , or dread doing ? maybe thats a better question lol.

Jordan, haha it must have pained you to do that , deep down inside you must have been like," Are you serious?"

- Phen

Sep 10 09 07:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

Phen Mas wrote:
Haha you guys are being too noble lol ... (Jordan come on you can do better lol jk)

I mean what looks do you absolutely hate , or dread doing ? maybe thats a better question lol.

Jordan, haha it must have pained you to do that , deep down inside you must have been like," Are you serious?"

- Phen

Well of course it was painful, but I made the best of it, and we both had a good laugh. There are looks I don't LIKE to do, but I don't really refuse anything unless it's dangerous to the client.

Sep 10 09 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

S de Varax

London, England, United Kingdom

how about on test shoots, are there looks you would just shudder about and refuse to do?
possible cliches such as peacock feathers?

Sep 10 09 08:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

S de Varax wrote:
how about on test shoots, are there looks you would just shudder about and refuse to do?

Test shoots are a whole other ball game.

Sep 10 09 08:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Candy.

Ugh I hate candy shots. They're never creative.

Sep 10 09 08:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahChaudhry

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

S de Varax wrote:

As cliche as it may be, i still like doing peacock feathers. You dotn really get the same turn out everytime. esp when working with different models.

Sep 10 09 08:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Salsabella

Forest Glen, Maryland, US

I hate it when I get people from my culture(Indian/Pakistan) who, for some reason, almost always want their foundation to be super pale when they have tan skin! That gets under my skin, and you'd be surprised how many times it happens.

I actually once had an Indian lady have me do her makeup, and she wanted to be Nicole Kidman white when she had a Nicole Ritchie tan, and I did as she asked, even after I explained to her how unnatural it would look. It turned out hideous, and when her husband came to pick her up after, he actually had the nerve to yell at me and say "What kind of makeup artist are you?? She looks like a zombie!" AND get this, before I could even say a word, she turned to him and said: "I told her not to do it like that, but she wouldn't listen."

I told him that she told me that's what she wanted and to get the hell out of my studio and never come back. I was so furious! The nerve of some people!

Sep 10 09 09:53 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hella Hair and Makeup

Santa Cruz, California, US

"the mongolian":
https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/hellanoella/undercut.jpg

https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/hellanoella/mongolian.jpg

oh, the horror!

Sep 10 09 10:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabeth Lakomsky

New York, New York, US

If you pay me, I don't care at all!
But I did have a bride who didn't want to be pale, and wanted the foundation to be 5 times darker than her skintone. I reached a compromise with her (TONS of bronzer), but I cringed on the inside.

As for tests, I'm hard core. Here's what I won't do now, and mind you, this is not a LOOK per se, but I won't shoot B&W. I love it, but not for my book. I'm a makeup artist. I need to show my ability to work with colors. Unless it's a highly stylized and high contrast story that calls for it, I will not shoot B&W. Many photogs I've encountered are simply too lazy to color correct images in post (OR set the color balance right from the get go), and say that B&W is better.
Sorry, not gonna happen!

Sep 10 09 10:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Alinta Hassen Makeup

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Salsabella wrote:
I hate it when I get people from my culture(Indian/Pakistan) who, for some reason, almost always want their foundation to be super pale when they have tan skin! That gets under my skin, and you'd be surprised how many times it happens.

I actually once had an Indian lady have me do her makeup, and she wanted to be Nicole Kidman white when she had a Nicole Ritchie tan, and I did as she asked, even after I explained to her how unnatural it would look. It turned out hideous, and when her husband came to pick her up after, he actually had the nerve to yell at me and say "What kind of makeup artist are you?? She looks like a zombie!" AND get this, before I could even say a word, she turned to him and said: "I told her not to do it like that, but she wouldn't listen."

I told him that she told me that's what she wanted and to get the hell out of my studio and never come back. I was so furious! The nerve of some people!

woah! man i would have stuck a brush up his nose (a cheap one.. not an expensive one heheh) and told him his wife was a stupid bimbo who wanted to be made as ugly as possible... and if they didnt get out, you'd crimp their ears with a hair straightener....

i think i need help, im so violent sad

Sep 10 09 10:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Hella Hair and Makeup wrote:
"the mongolian":

https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/hellanoella/mongolian.jpg

oh, the horror!

lol

Yeah, gross hair.... But HOLY CRAP that girl is hot!!

Sep 10 09 10:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

Shiddy mongorians!

Sep 10 09 10:41 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hella Hair and Makeup

Yeah, gross hair.... But HOLY CRAP that girl is hot!!

true. what a tragedy with that hair. crazy metalheads.

Sep 10 09 10:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Monkey

true. what a tragedy with that hair. crazy metalheads.

Hahaha, she's wearing a scrunchie!! Isn't that a bit "cute"???

Sep 10 09 10:46 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hella Hair and Makeup

Laura Maria wrote:
Shiddy mongorians!

https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/hellanoella/mongolians.jpg

Sep 10 09 10:47 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hella Hair and Makeup

Laura Maria wrote:

sometimes you're so cute, anything you do is cute. but no one else should do things this scary to their head.

Sep 10 09 10:49 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Treasa Manigault

I hate simple test or trade shoots!  It kills me when I arrive ready to create something full of art and then the photographer is like "well I was thinking a ponytail or curls".  It kills me.  The simple stuff is way too boring for me.  If the client is paying however money is money and the style will be done.

Sep 10 09 11:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Style by Michelle

Oceanside, California, US

ohhhh I lurv this thread! I hate... hate hate hate hate hate.. wait did i tell you that I hate... to do the ...Penthouse.. blonde.. bad extensions... curl and back comb with the brown lipliner and lipgloss look!  I HATE IT!  I think that i would have to be paid extra just for me to stop shuddering from that look.

Ohh yeah, and i agree with the last person that said the simple stuff. I hate it when a photographer thinks that they are getting all creative and say.. "I wanna do two fresh looks... smokey eyes and wavy hair... and um.... how about straight hair and neutral face!"  grrr.. I'll do it.. no problem.. but I am beyond over it

good thread!  kudos

Sep 11 09 12:43 am Link

Makeup Artist

Kaya Quintana Get Shot

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Elizabeth Lakomsky wrote:
If you pay me, I don't care at all!
But I did have a bride who didn't want to be pale, and wanted the foundation to be 5 times darker than her skintone. I reached a compromise with her (TONS of bronzer), but I cringed on the inside.

I hate and won't do this stuff! I will not make you whiter or blacker than you are... My god...

Sep 11 09 12:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Salsabella

Forest Glen, Maryland, US

POP ART  wrote:
woah! man i would have stuck a brush up his nose (a cheap one.. not an expensive one heheh) and told him his wife was a stupid bimbo who wanted to be made as ugly as possible... and if they didnt get out, you'd crimp their ears with a hair straightener....

i think i need help, im so violent sad

No not at all! Believe me, in the midst of my fuming, I fantasized about "accidently" getting a glop of eyelash glue in her eye and saying "Ooopsie..."

And, at that point, I woulda definitely crimped more than just both their ears! tongue

Sep 11 09 01:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

JamesC Lost Creatives

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

My pet peeve is the classic "we have this really creative idea, we need you to make the model/actor look like she has been attacked, has just stepped out of the 40's or realy fetishy, but I need it done in fifteen minutes. with full hair pinned and sculpted cause the studio is costing me a fortune and I only have two hours and loads of idea's to shoot." 

They always end the same way I suggest looks and its the same:  "yeh but I really want black eyeshadow and lots of liner."   

Its a bit of a drag.

However if its paid then I just smile nicely and do it.  The customer knows best after all. 

James

Sep 11 09 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Shane Noir

"the mongolian":

oh, the horror!

Huh, so thats what it is called.  My friend has that, but not so long.  I always just thought it was an Ancient Japan Reverse Haircut lol.

I agree though, looks weird as hell...

Sep 11 09 03:01 am Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Lisa Berczel wrote:
Paying client?
They get zebra stripes all day long.
And lingerie, too.

Portfolio?
Unless I can turn a cliche upside down, inside out and backwards while standing on its head... um, NO. Not so much.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  ^^^ Funniest shit ever!  You should quote that on a magazine or something.  lol

Sep 11 09 03:16 am Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Shane Noir wrote:

Huh, so thats what it is called.  My friend has that, but not so long.  I always just thought it was an Ancient Japan Reverse Haircut lol.

I agree though, looks weird as hell...

I didn't even know it had a name lol.  I thought it was just called, "I'm too lazy to comb half my hair, so I'm going to buzz the underside of my ponytail" look.  big_smile

Sep 11 09 03:17 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

I know I'm not a make-up artist, but as a model....

I am bored to death of the amy winehouse eyeliner they always do on me.

"Oh it will go so well with her fringe!"

C'mon. Please do some crazy colour on my eyes besides black or gold!!

Also bored of having my hair natural. I know I have a blunt haircut, but how come some people can completely change it and others are dumbfounded and just say (as I walk in),"oh, your hair is already done!"

Bah!

Sep 11 09 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Ernesto Casillas

the super contoured eye crease, in bright colors..basically the typical MAC look on the eyes

i hate doing that.

Sep 11 09 06:35 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Killerdarling

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

I never work with people who tell me this (Ive heard it a thousand times!!)

- I want "HIGH FASHION" Get me a long dress an long gloves!

First of all: Thats not my style of styling.
Second: Thats how you dress on your prom, not in a fashion photoshot.

Sep 12 09 08:33 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Belle_Morte

Moorestown-Lenola, New Jersey, US

Puffi Star wrote:
I never work with people who tell me this (Ive heard it a thousand times!!)

- I want "HIGH FASHION" Get me a long dress an long gloves!

First of all: Thats not my style of styling.
Second: Thats how you dress on your prom, not in a fashion photoshot.

x2

Sep 12 09 09:21 am Link

Photographer

FashionPhotographer

New York, New York, US

I guess since I posted this thread I will add my .02 
I can't help but laugh at some of the stories that are told here though, very good points smile 

For me my number one is Swimsuits on the Beach ... it annoys me . I always try to steer clients away from it any chance I can. It's just sooo Maxim and I don't really shoot maxim style... however I guess if I was hired by maxim I wouldn't complain :x

- Phen

Sep 12 09 02:50 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Karri Husseini

Tampa, Florida, US

my pet peeve is someone with long hair comes into the salon and says " i want a change.. only cut half an inch"

OMG i want to strangle them!!!

Sep 12 09 04:00 pm Link

Model

The Michael Freeby

San Diego, California, US

Karri Husseini wrote:
my pet peeve is someone with long hair comes into the salon and says " i want a change.. only cut half an inch"

OMG i want to strangle them!!!

I do that all the time. Haha.
big_smile

Sep 12 09 04:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Claire V Coleman

Brooklyn, New York, US

I did my friend's makeup for her wedding in July.

She wanted VERY matte but with Gold eyes, Gold blush and gold lips.  When I was able to wipe the look of disgust off my face I told her. 

That is not going to happen. I will not make you look like an Oscar... no way!

Sep 12 09 04:43 pm Link

Model

Phyxi

Columbus, Ohio, US

Claire V Coleman wrote:
I did my friend's makeup for her wedding in July.

She wanted VERY matte but with Gold eyes, Gold blush and gold lips.  When I was able to wipe the look of disgust off my face I told her. 

That is not going to happen. I will not make you look like an Oscar... no way!

o.0 Not good.

Sep 12 09 04:46 pm Link

Hair Stylist

A J T

Brooklyn, New York, US

Vogue_Junkie wrote:
I know I have a blunt haircut, but how come some people can completely change it and others are dumbfounded and just say (as I walk in),"oh, your hair is already done!"

Bah!

I would do magical things with your hair.

I have to say, there aren't really any looks I won't do or don't like to do. They do, after all, look different on everyone, so each is a new challenge to perfect.

smile

Sep 12 09 06:40 pm Link

Hair Stylist

A J T

Brooklyn, New York, US

Laura Maria wrote:

Maybe I won't move to Australia, if that's you folks consider cute...

=P

Sep 12 09 06:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahKay

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

Alexander Tome wrote:

=P

Don't swear! You're moving and thats all there is to it!

Sep 13 09 02:38 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

London, England, United Kingdom

Alexander Tome wrote:

=P

we also have ugg boots and demin tights.

Sep 13 09 03:20 am Link