Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How much do I charge?

Makeup Artist

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Jordan Liberty wrote:

My half day rate is 350, full is between 500 and 1200 (commercial is higher), and I'm located in Philadelphia (my rates are slightly higher when working in NY or any city that requires travel). $50-100 is undercutting no matter where you are. Rates go hand-in-hand with quality and experience. If you research your area and talk to WORKING artists, you'll probably find out that your rate is significantly lower than the norm. Also make sure your rates reflect your experience in that arena, my rates for film are significantly lower than my rates for still photography, as I am less experienced in film than some of my colleagues.

woow okay thank you !! But, when I do makeup I make sure its perfect...so great quality, and I use expensif makeup. but my experience is not alot. Around how much do you think I should ask? Example, its a photographer who is not really experienced, and he want my service for his portfolio...
Because I paid my makeup-skool and my makeup kit cost around 7 000$...I want to make sure It was worth it !! I just think that here in Montreal...theres not many jobs...so I accept any offer for cheap price. :S

Sep 17 09 11:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

You have to research your area.

And until you have experience under your belt, how can you justify a high price tag? I would raise them to a rate that isn't undercutting other artists, or test until you can confidently charge higher (and back it up). Makeup school and a kit isn't enough these days.

Sep 17 09 11:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

That's why you also have a testing rate for people who are building their portfolios. Something that is a lower fraction of your half day rate, and is a fixed rate, no matter how many hours you work (although not exceeding 8 hours) Something along the lines of $150-$200 day rate for paid testing (for 2-8 hours). It all depends on the type of job you are doing to be honest. You won't be charging a testing rate on a commercial job. Same thing as you won't charge commercial prices on a bridal job. Etc. etc.

Sep 17 09 11:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Accepting offers for cheap prices is just letting everyone think that they can KEEP getting you for cheap prices, as well as any OTHER makeup artist. It's not helping the industry, and you, in the long run.

Sep 17 09 11:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Im wrinting all this down, Thank you very much !! smile I really apreciate you all to answer me !

Sep 17 09 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

ckeefe shea photos

North Bethesda, Maryland, US

Elizabeth Lakomsky wrote:

This is probably the worst advice.  Ever. Period. Op, it depends on your market as well. There are many threads On this. Check the FAQ thread listed on top of the forum

Actually Jacquie Marie's advice is very good.  Market isn't going to vary much unless you're working top pro level in LA, NY, Paris or Milano.  Most MMers aren't.  OP is looking for a number to start with, and Jacquie Marie gave her one.  If it's too high, the client will say so.

Sep 17 09 11:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jordan Liberty

New York, New York, US

ckeefe shea photos wrote:
Actually Jacquie Marie's advice is very good.  Market isn't going to vary much unless you're working top pro level in LA, NY, Paris or Milano.  Most MMers aren't.  OP is looking for a number to start with, and Jacquie Marie gave her one.  If it's too high, the client will say so.

...and if the rate is too low it undercuts the industry and would effect the OP adversely, not only in her paycheck, but in the work she is receiving and how she is valued. You'd be surprised at how different the markets are around the country. She may, in fact, be in a crappy market - but she needs to do her research before putting a number on it. Freelancing for $50-100 a day isn't even worth her time, and probably won't cover her costs. The advice is bad because it really isn't helping the OP, it's just reinforcing an unlivable wage.

And for the record, there are more than 4 major cities (Milan included, "Milano" is a cookie haha) where industry pros get work. You just named 4 of the major cities for fashion. In fact, even cities like Chicago (male modeling capital of the US), Miami (host to their own Mercedes-Benz fashion week sponsored by MUFE), Philadelphia, Las Vegas, and San Diego (to name a few) have booming markets. Canada is the same, which is why research is so important.

Sep 17 09 11:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tai MUA

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

MUAamorosa wrote:
600 to 1500 ? wow, thats really good! smile
I live in Montréal...I ask around...50 to 100 $ I just started doing this as a Job. But I went to a makeup skool and learned and practiced all about makeup.
Should I move to new york ? tongue Would I have more jobs and opportunity there ?

G!! 50-100 $ very very low Canadian dollar?? super super low!!!! Your work good enough to charge more!! Go girl!!! smile

Sep 18 09 12:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Zena Saab

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

MUAamorosa wrote:

woow okay thank you !! But, when I do makeup I make sure its perfect...so great quality, and I use expensif makeup. but my experience is not alot. Around how much do you think I should ask? Example, its a photographer who is not really experienced, and he want my service for his portfolio...
Because I paid my makeup-skool and my makeup kit cost around 7 000$...I want to make sure It was worth it !! I just think that here in Montreal...theres not many jobs...so I accept any offer for cheap price. :S

Montreal?!?! I WISH I lived there. Its such a fashion city. Have confidence and do not be shy to charge them.
Si vous voulez fair un collaboration avec un autre photogrpher pour ameliorer votre portfolio, fait le gratuit. (trade)
A trade will benefit both of you and maybe build on networking.
However, if the photographer says he wants to pay...I would not discourage him.
There are a few make up companies based in town there as well....I asked one of the reps where they make their ads, they shoot in mtl. 
Bonne chance! A la prochain!
Gotta love this bilingual country!

Sep 18 09 06:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Tai MUA wrote:

G!! 50-100 $ very very low Canadian dollar?? super super low!!!! Your work good enough to charge more!! Go girl!!! smile

awwwnn Thank you !! smile Yea, I will charge more I dont want people to think if I charge low its because I do poor makeup.

Thank you for the advice everyone

Sep 18 09 09:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Phylicia LaShaune Walls

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Great post. I  am just starting out in the makeup industry. I have already worked a pretty big fashion show in my area. I didn't charge, and was credited on the pictures that I did. That in turn created another opportunity for another fashion show with the same credited payment. Now I was asked my rates for another fashion show, and I was lost on what to charge. Reading these posts gave me a goo idea on what to charge. A lot of artist mentioned not charging per face. Can someone tell me why its best to charges days rates instead of per face?

Oct 13 13 10:10 am Link

Model

Ra Rage

San Diego, California, US

Everything in life is a hustle why not charge what you are worth!

Oct 13 13 10:41 am Link