Forums > Critique > Grammar, spelling, punctuation

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Cluj-Napoca, Cluj, Romania

I will critique your profile according to generally accepted standards for grammar, spelling, punctuation, phrasing, and word choice for business writing. 

You can decide for yourself whether you think writing in this style will be helpful for your career.

I would appreciate constructive feedback on my portfolio if you find my advice helpful.

Dec 12 09 03:40 am Link

Model

Sky_Cheshure

Norman, Oklahoma, US

I am interested.

Dec 12 09 03:41 am Link

Model

Ms Alyssa Noelle

Northridge, California, US

Can you please critique it to my inbox?

Dec 12 09 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm in.

Dec 12 09 03:50 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

For Sky B:

You have adopted a casual, oral style in your writing.  I don't see anything wrong with that for an internet profile.  But you should be aware that you are breaking some rules of formal business writing.

I have two tattoos...they are both easily concealed, if it's a concern-ask where they're at  smile I'm not shy.

I recommend changing "ask where they're at" to "ask where they are".  And if you want to write in a more formal style, I suggest this:

I have two tattoos, both of which are easily concealed.  If they are a concern, please ask where they are.

I like creativity. A lot.

This is effective and expressive in an oral style, but you break the rules for sentence formation in formal writing.  (A sentence needs a noun and a verb.)

I like creativity a lot.

Dec 12 09 03:56 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Ms Alyssa Noelle wrote:
Can you please critique it to my inbox?

Sorry, that I cannot do.

Dec 12 09 03:57 am Link

Model

Sky_Cheshure

Norman, Oklahoma, US

A Picture of Matthew wrote:
You have adopted a casual, oral style in your writing.  I don't see anything wrong with that for an internet profile.  But you should be aware that you are breaking some rules of formal business writing.

I have two tattoos...they are both easily concealed, if it's a concern-ask where they're at  smile I'm not shy.

I recommend changing "ask where they're at" to "ask where they are".  And if you want to write in a more formal style, I suggest this:

I have two tattoos, both of which are easily concealed.  If they are a concern, please ask where they are.

This is effective and expressive in an oral style, but you break the rules for sentence formation in formal writing.  (A sentence needs a noun and a verb.)

I like creativity a lot.

Thank you! I implemented both of these and I'm headed to your port!

Dec 12 09 04:00 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

RL_11214 wrote:
I'm in.

Looks fine to me.  Your writing becomes a bit monotonous because most of the sentences have the form
  I [this]
  I [that]
  I [something else]

Change "South West" to "southwest".  Capitalize directions only when you use them as places.  (When I lived in the Southwest, I regularly photographed radiators.)

Dec 12 09 04:02 am Link

Model

Kitty Quinzell

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom

Now thats a sensible critique idea, I get vexed by bad spelling and punctuation and I would hate hate it if I was being a hypocrite doing it myself! Please let me know.

Dec 12 09 04:03 am Link

Model

Kitty Quinzell

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom

I figured the best way to show you how yours should be would be to copy, paste and edit it:

I work with both new and experienced models.  With less experienced models I can offer advice and ideas for poses.  With experienced models I'm apt to let them experiment and do the poses they know work best for them.

In both cases it's important to me that a model feels comfortable and becomes part of the creativity team.  I don't "take control" of shoots.  Rather, I let them unfold as we work together throughout the shoot.   Some of the best photos I've ever shot were poses that the models generated from their own interests.  These were the most genuine and therefore the most successful. 

My preferred genres are lingerie, nudity implied and artistic nudes.   

I believe in giving a model the full set of unretouched images immediately after the shoot.  It gives her a chance to go through them carefully while the shoot is still fresh in her mind.  How else can she learn what works and what doesn't to improve her skills?

I also know that the photographs that a model needs to improve her portfolio are sometimes different than what a photographer needs for theirs.  I always try to make sure we are both happy with our finished results.

All I think you need to add the is that you look forward to working with people or something like that, end on a nice note, but very good overall, you get your points across well, and you seem friendly and approachable yet professional

Dec 12 09 04:12 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Nat Dawn B wrote:
Now thats a sensible critique idea, I get vexed by bad spelling and punctuation and I would hate hate it if I was being a hypocrite doing it myself! Please let me know.

Fashion portfolio work with Louise and Peter Crouch of Pinktulip as first prize of Cumberland News' Me model competition (photography by Pete Crouch
as seen on http://www.pinktulip.co.uk

Don't forget to close the parenthesis.

Portfolio modelling 'Alice in Wonderland' shoot for Struts (Fancy dress suppliers)- photography by Mike@Struts

Why is "Fancy" capitalized?  And it should be written like this -- space, dash, dash, and a space.

Fashion modelling for Kevin Nobin @ the University of Cumbria

@ --> at

Photographers I have worked with say I have a very adaptable look, and I will throw myself into any shoot with great enthusiasm.

Photographers say that you throw yourself into any shoot?  I think these are two different sentences. 

I would make a good alternative model because I have a typical english rose complexion (very pale skin) and piercing blue eyes, and an attitude to match!

I have A, B, and C.

However this is just for the camera I have great fun on shoots and will get on with anyone instantly, I look forward to meeting you!

This should be three sentences.  Put periods after "camera" and "instantly".

I do have a few things I won't do; topless, nudes and anything that even comes close to adult/fetish.

I never could use a semicolon properly to save my life, so I won't try to guess whether you did it correctly here.

I will consider lingerie and implied nude as long as I believe it to be tasteful and if it will help my portfolio along, although I prefer to do this in a fashion style more than a glamour style as that is what I'm most interested in.

This really should be two or three separate sentences.

Dec 12 09 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Accidental Plateau

Brooklyn, New York, US

Looks fine to me.  Your writing becomes a bit monotonous because most of the sentences have the form
  I [this]
  I [that]
  I [something else]

Change "South West" to "southwest".  Capitalize directions only when you use them as places.  (When I lived in the Southwest, I regularly photographed radiators.)

Thank you.

Great thread!!!

Dec 12 09 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Please

Dec 12 09 06:08 am Link

Model

Indi-Now

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

terrific thread, thanks!

Dec 12 09 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Is it OK if I ask a question about the first critique you did in  this thread?

Dec 12 09 06:20 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

I r in!

Dec 12 09 06:22 am Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

Shouldn't the title be, "grammar, spelling, and punctuation?" Or "grammar, spelling and punctuation?" Just curious. tongue

Dec 12 09 06:24 am Link

Model

Violette Lenore

Shepherdsville, Kentucky, US

ooh me please!

smile

Dec 12 09 07:01 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Olaf S wrote:
Is it OK if I ask a question about the first critique you did in  this thread?

Fire away!

Dec 12 09 07:06 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
Please

I use is to see the world more clearly.

I think you meant "it" instead of "is".

Dec 12 09 07:08 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Indi-Now wrote:
terrific thread, thanks!

Hello! My name is Indi I am half Australian and half Indonesian. I'm highly motivated to succeed in this industry. I've had professional training in poses and runway.

My name is Indi.  I am ....  I am highly motivated ....  I have ....

I recommend using a consistent style.  If you are going to use contractions, use them all the way through.  (I'm, I'm, I've.)  Generally in more formal writing styles one avoids contractions.  However I do not think they are inappropriate in writing a profile.  Profiles are a reasonable place in which to adopt a less formal style.

My goals are to one day be able to model in one of the fashion capitals, or even continue my career overseas in Asia.

If that is one goal, then you should use the singular.

My goal is to ...

Dec 12 09 07:12 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Jakki Browne wrote:
Shouldn't the title be, "grammar, spelling, and punctuation?" Or "grammar, spelling and punctuation?" Just curious. tongue

Yes, that is generally correct.  However headline style emphasizes compactness and newspapers (even stuffy ones like the NYT and WSJ) will bend the rules for a title.

Lists should be written
   A, B, and C
or less commonly but also acceptable
   A, B and C

Dec 12 09 07:14 am Link

Model

Indi-Now

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

thanks heaps matthew ! smile

Dec 12 09 07:19 am Link

Dec 12 09 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Four-Eleven Productions

Fircrest, Washington, US

Sure, I'll play! Thanks for taking a look.

Dec 12 09 07:21 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

FootNote Fotography wrote:
I r in!

First off, I are thanking you for your service to the country.  My brother was a marine and fought briefly in Kuwait.  I assume you are doing something similar in Iraq.

Some brief corrections:

I am currently out of the country[period]  I am planning ....

This is a series ... [this sentence needs to be split up]

What this is:  This is ... [redundant, strike "What this is:"]

fasion --> fashion

corney --> corny

convenant -> convenient

That being said[comma] if I am coming ....

Dec 12 09 07:21 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Danae Lenore wrote:
ooh me please!

smile

You are doing fine at the grammar and spelling level.  At the stylistic level ask yourself why you are using a meaningless word like "things".  Often you can reword with the same meaning but more impact.

Dec 12 09 07:24 am Link

Model

Violette Lenore

Shepherdsville, Kentucky, US

You are doing fine at the grammar and spelling level.  At the stylistic level ask yourself why you are using a meaningless word like "things".  Often you can reword with the same meaning but more impact.

thanks so much!

I love grammatical critique; I have had several wonderful essays and poems because of it.

~Danae

Dec 12 09 07:27 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Viewu wrote:
Great idea!  Go for it!

Your portfolio gets a little outside of the normal MM box.  A welcome change for the normal.  You don't need my help with grammar and spelling.  But I found a few spots where your writing is overly fancy. 

I instantly fell in love with the process of photography.

Did you fall in love with photography or with the process?  Strike "process".

A “few” years later

Is 'a "few"' somehow different than 'a few'?

This job was fun and crazy, meeting people that really wanted to be cowboys, ....

The job met people?  Try "This job was fun and crazy.  I met people who ..."

I am continually trying to learn, see things in a new way and progress, to find who I am through my photography.

I am continually trying to X, to Y, and to Z.

Dec 12 09 07:32 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Four-Eleven Productions wrote:

Damn!  You are a better photographer and a better writer than me.

It looks like you are one of the few people on the planet who can properly use a semicolon.  Two small points:

Is "easygoing" one word?  I think it might be two.  Or maybe it should be hyphenated.

I strive to create images that are sweet, sexy, classy and natural and which ....

My style would be to use repetition of "that" to create emphasis.

I strive to create images that A, B, C and D and that X, Y and Z.

Dec 12 09 07:37 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

I'm headed to dinner.  Yes, it is 5:30 pm in my neck of the woods.  I'll respond to more either when I get back or tomorrow morning.

Dec 12 09 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Four-Eleven Productions

Fircrest, Washington, US

Four-Eleven Productions wrote:

Damn!  You are a better photographer and a better writer than me.

It looks like you are one of the few people on the planet who can properly use a semicolon.  Two small points:

Is "easygoing" one word?  I think it might be two.  Or maybe it should be hyphenated.

My style would be to use repetition of "that" to create emphasis.

I strive to create images that A, B, C and D and that X, Y and Z.

Excellent feedback...thanks! It's also refreshing to see a pertinent post on an original topic here. Best of luck to you.

Peter

Dec 12 09 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Charles Gast

Mason, Ohio, US

your going to judge my english and spelling?  i'm definately not in need of any help.
>;~)

Dec 12 09 07:49 am Link

Model

Anushka Bella

Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

I'm ready.

Dec 12 09 08:07 am Link

Model

Kendra Spring Adams

Lincoln, Nebraska, US

Have at it!  smile

Dec 12 09 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
Please

I think you meant "it" instead of "is".

Whoops. Thanks.

Dec 12 09 10:03 am Link

Model

RETIREDRETIREDRETIRED

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Crikey! Do me, do me, DO ME!!!

Dec 12 09 10:18 am Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Charles Gast wrote:
your going to judge my english and spelling?  i'm definately not in need of any help.
>;~)

I hope that's a winking smiley.

Dec 12 09 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hayley L E K

London, England, United Kingdom

I need the help - thank you!

Dec 12 09 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

A Picture of Matthew

Charles Gast wrote:
>;~)

I overuse commas, but I think you could sprinkle in a few more.  Also, always follow commas with a space.

Italy,Holland,and Croatia

My artistic pursuit is genuine and sincere.  If in your profile it is stated "No nudes"COMMA I won't be hassling you about taking off your clothes. If in your profile it is stated that you are a model who does do nudesCOMMA I still won't be bugging you to take off your clothes. I may at some point add some figure work to my portfolio, but I'm in no hurry.

Although I gladly provide images from shoots I do not want outtakes in circulationCOMMA and I am sure you don't either.

Dec 12 09 02:46 pm Link