Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How do you cover a big tattoo on leg?

Model

gennie may

Hi everyone! I'm not a make-up artists, but a model who is in need of learning how to cover up a tattoo... i found a youtube video on how to cover up a tattoo with make-up.  I need to cover a huge tattoo on my upper right thigh for certain shots (ie. swimwear, sports, etc) I bought the items that needed to be used (red base lipstick/lipgloss, two synthetic brushes, two concealers- one warm and one cool, a blush brush, and a translucent powder) however, they didn't work as good as i anticipated. i suppose i used the wrong make up brand or product?? thevideo didnt specify on which product to use.

I tested it out and at first it seemed like it was going to work but it took a long time to dry and also, once i used the brush to put the concealer/foundation on, it would just smear with the red lipstick...yah di da di dah...at the end of the day (or more like an hour after i just finished applying it, my leg just looked red.  The make up just stained the inside of my jeans and also leggings...

so that being said....

does anyone know which product would stay best on to my skin and cover the tattoo and not end up on clothing? Oh! one more thing.... are there any products out there that are affordable. also, is hair dryer ok to make the time dying the make-up? i dont want to spend too much time waiting for the make-up to dry.  Thanks!

Dec 15 09 09:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Hayley Alys MUA

London, England, United Kingdom

Cover FX is a great product that you can find at Shoppers Drug Mart

Dec 15 09 10:56 am Link

Photographer

BarryMR

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There are several products made for covering tattoos which should be available locally. Ben Nye makes products for covering tattoos; download the Ben Nye catalog and see page 7 for directions to cover tattoos. Seal with a makeup sealer to prevent smearing.

You might try Dermacolor by Kryolan which can be used to cover tattoos. To prevent smearing, fix with powder after application.

gennie may wrote:
does anyone know which product would stay best on to my skin and cover the tattoo and not end up on clothing? Oh! one more thing.... are there any products out there that are affordable. also, is hair dryer ok to make the time dying the make-up? i dont want to spend too much time waiting for the make-up to dry.  Thanks!

You want product with a high pigment content to be able to cover the tattoo with a thin layer of makeup. High pigment content products are expensive to purchase but econmical to use since you use less per application. Most of the products I've mentioned are creme base; these do not dry but are set with powder. With water or alcohol based makeup, thin applications dry quickly with body heat.

Dec 16 09 05:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Vanessa Dawn- Jhaesayte

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

And dont use a lipstick to counteract the black in the tattoo. Lipstick isn't meant to be used as a concealer, and will just smear everywhere.

Dec 16 09 07:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

gennie may wrote:
I bought the items that needed to be used (red base lipstick/lipgloss, two synthetic brushes, two concealers- one warm and one cool, a blush brush, and a translucent powder) however, they didn't work as good as i anticipated. i suppose i used the wrong make up brand or product?? thevideo didnt specify on which product to use.

Red Lips stick????? Really???
that product is meant for the lips its far to creamy and moist to adhere with out smudging on the leg...
  heck it smudges on the lips why would some one suggest it would work to cover a  tattoo...ahh good old youtube.....

anyhoo can you please post a picture of the tattoo... this will give us a better understanding of what the tat looks like.. and colours used...

Derma blend is a great product for covering tattoos...
if its a really big dark on you could use Pax but this is a specialty product that you will need to check out and learn how to apply and remove it properly...
but this is more of a pro application...

you might be better off talking to the photographers and just have it removed in post...

Dec 16 09 08:02 am Link

Photographer

BarryMR

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
if its a really big dark on you could use Pax but this is a specialty product that you will need to check out and learn how to apply and remove it properly...

Personally I would not use PAX paint directly on skin, I only use it to paint appliances. For those who don't know, PAX is a mixture of artist's acrylic paint and Pros-Aide, usually in a 1:1 ratio. Artist's acrylic paint is not, at least to my knowledge, an FDA permitted cosmetic ingredient. Some people do use it directly on the skin but it is not something I would recommend.

Dec 16 09 11:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

make-up by lizzie

San Francisco, California, US

It really depends on what color(s) the tattoo is.  You need to neutralize the color of the tattoo (by using the opposite color) and then cover it all with a concealer that matches your skin.  &Blend out the edges and powder.

Dec 16 09 12:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

BarryMR wrote:
Personally I would not use PAX paint directly on skin, I only use it to paint appliances. For those who don't know, PAX is a mixture of artist's acrylic paint and Pros-Aide, usually in a 1:1 ratio. Artist's acrylic paint is not, at least to my knowledge, an FDA permitted cosmetic ingredient. Some people do use it directly on the skin but it is not something I would recommend.

true but if you put down a layer of Prose aid let that set up and dry and then apply the pax over top it will not be touching the skin.... but like I said before this method is more for a pro application , and the proper products to remove it are necessary...

edit:  the mix your talking about is the "home made " kind, but fyi they do sell a pre-made PAX that is 100% safe on skin...

Dec 16 09 03:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

Ive have recently had amazing sucess with Mac micro finish airbrush makeup

Dec 16 09 04:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

HFox Makeup

Washington, District of Columbia, US

a trick my mentor Suzanne Patterson told me:

stipple on using Keromask white concealer to block the ink color then powder set then use the flesh color concealer according to  the skin tone and powder set and layer as needed.

Dec 16 09 04:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Shelly Singleton

Amarillo, Texas, US

I have the top of my foot coverd with a really dark tattoo, I use temptu airbrush makeup to cover that. I have to conceal 1st and layer the makeup but it works for me.

Dec 16 09 04:36 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

BarryMR wrote:

Fortunately these days, there are PAX color lines created with ALL cosmetic ingredients.

Dec 16 09 05:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

BarryMR wrote:

Funny , I use it all the time

Dec 16 09 10:59 pm Link

Model

gennie may

OMG! i'm sorry for not responding and keeping up to my own question that i'm asking you guys to answer.  I have a final tomorrow afternoon and have been focusing on that. ok...once its over, i will go and take a photo of my tattoo on my thigh as best as possible. 

also, i haven't gotten to fully read everyones replies- only skimmed through. once again..i'll write back after my final tomorrow. wish me luck!

AND THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP AND DISCUSSIONS AMONGST EACH OTHER...I APPRECIATE YOUR LENDING "ARTISTIC" HANDS! smile

Dec 17 09 12:06 am Link