Forums > Newbie Forum > model release

Photographer

- Jake -

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

im just curious how you go about creating one or getting one that covers everything you need i havent had a need to use one yet but i guess i'd like to know before im in the situation to need one.

Jun 11 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Jun 11 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I paid an attorney to go over mine, and my advice is that everyone should. It's the wisest money you will spend.

Jun 11 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Goldblade Photos

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Common practice is usually to have up to 3 types of release forms: General, Minor, and Limited.

You can combine the General and Minor forms into one, but I find it works just as easy to keep them separate.

Jun 12 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

in America, PPA & ASMP both offer some help, or suggestions, as do some different books out there, in putting together a release ...

Jun 12 06 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Wally Peterson

Seattle, Washington, US

There are certainly a lot of options out there, but the best advice, and it was already said, was to have a lawyer review it in the state you're working in.  The important thing to realize is that the law varies from state to state, which makes finding a generic one on the net difficult.

Unfortunately while the concepts are not terribly complex, getting all the variable right is.

Jun 12 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

- Jake -

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

thanks for all the info i appreciate it.

Jun 12 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Gio

Miami, Arizona, US

I find this line to be a little sketchy:

d) I hereby release, discharge and agree to save harmless the photographer, his/her heirs, legal representatives or assigns, and all persons functioning under his/her permission or authority, or those for whom he/she is functioning, from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.

Although highly unlikely, it would allow a photographer to match up a fashion model's face with a nude model's body.

Jun 12 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Gio wrote:
I find this line to be a little sketchy:

d) I hereby release, discharge and agree to save harmless the photographer, his/her heirs, legal representatives or assigns, and all persons functioning under his/her permission or authority, or those for whom he/she is functioning, from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the taking of said picture or in any subsequent processing thereof, as well as any publication thereof, including without limitation any claims for libel or invasion of privacy.

Although highly unlikely, it would allow a photographer to match up a fashion model's face with a nude model's body.

Sorry Gio, but without that line a photo could not be altered in any way. That phrase is universal in any serious model release. I would certaily not use a release without it.  It could not be resize for the net, it could not have P'shop post processing done and could not even be croped away from its original shape. It could certainly not be used for any commercial purpose as they are almost always altered in the commercial layout. Second, aside from celebrities why on earth would anyone want to swap heads and bodies when there are models who are eager to pose for whatever they are paid to do.

Jun 12 06 11:38 pm Link