Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Since I can't seem to open up the other thread, I figured I would start this one to go over the idea/rules of the game and to get the names of the participants again since I didn't have a chance to get them all.

The idea is, we start with a psd file, Background layer only. Each person, during his or her turn, is allowed to add one type of layer to the image file. You can add as many of that type of layer as you want, but only of that type. You can have 20 curves layers if you want. But you can't have 10 curves and a levels.

You can also have a pixel based layer if you want. When using a pixel based layer, you can not obscure more than 25% of the original layer. If you have more than 1 pixel based layer, you can not have the total area of your pixels be greater than the total area of the image file. I hope that makes sense. Just try not to go overboard with the pixel based layers. Using different blend modes will give more leeway here also. Just use your best judgment. smile

2 main rules to follow:

1. You may not do anything to the original background layer.
2. You can not obscure the original layer with pixel based layers more than 25%. Lowering opacity will count toward this also so that might help some.

I will start another thread for the game itself. This will be the sign-up and discussion thread since we may have more than one of these games. smile I hope its fun, but more importantly, I hope people can learn from this.

So, if you signed up in the other thread, please sign up again here.

The depository for the psd file used during the game will be located here:

http://www.model-citizens.com/Uploads/

For file name convention, I'll put up the base name of the file, then each retoucher can rename the file with basename-yourname. So if the file base name is PSLayerGame1.psd, I would rename it PSLayerGame1-P2P.psd. Since I know Koray is in on this and will be getting the file after I have it, he would rename it PSLayerGame1-Koray.psd.

Also, name each layer with your MM username and if you have multiple layers, place them into a group and name the group with your MM username.

If anyone can remember anything I forgot from the other thread, please let me know.

Jan 12 10 07:59 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

here smile

Jan 12 10 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Koray wrote:
here smile

I already started. I think (hope) you're gonna like what I've done with the image so far. big_smile

It's almost ready for you.

Jan 12 10 08:32 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

let me know when its my turn smile

Jan 12 10 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Koray wrote:
let me know when its my turn smile

It's uploading now. Check the other thread I just posted in a couple minutes. It's almost done.

Jan 12 10 08:53 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

got it smile

Jan 12 10 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Koray wrote:
got it smile

It's 44 MB. It's 1600X2400.

I did do it in 16 bit so if you want to change it to 8 bit go ahead. I forgot to do that. smile

Jan 12 10 09:05 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I'm gonna have to play dirty and surprise you...should be ready tomorrow big_smile

Jan 12 10 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Koray wrote:
I'm gonna have to play dirty and surprise you...should be ready tomorrow big_smile

I like dirty. wink I think Sean's turn comes after yours. I think he'll have fun with it.

Jan 12 10 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

OK. I converted the original psd and my changed version to 8 bit psd files. They are much smaller now. smile

Jan 13 10 04:46 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

replied...trying to upload the psd smile

Jan 13 10 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Koray wrote:
replied...trying to upload the psd smile

Very nice. Now we'll see what Sean does with it.

I'll add yours to the rotating gif in the OP.

Jan 13 10 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Jan 14 10 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

photoboykane wrote:
The PSD isn't leaving my home machine, so it'll be on the way in an hour or two from my studio.

I looked at the shot and thought, "it could be none more black", so I concentrated on the zero value pixels.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here...

And nicely done. I like it! big_smile

Jan 14 10 08:59 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Jan 14 10 10:15 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

I've already done mine on the black version and updated it and all......

I thought once it was posted that was it and the next came along *sniffles*

P2P you can take it down and when the final file is uploaded I'll just transfer in my folder.

Jan 14 10 10:18 am Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Jan 14 10 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Ni Anluain wrote:
I've already done mine on the black version and updated it and all......

I thought once it was posted that was it and the next came along *sniffles*

P2P you can take it down and when the final file is uploaded I'll just transfer in my folder.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Or keep what you did. Kane just did that as an extra to show us something interesting taking shape with the image.

This is part of what I wanted this thread to be about. People can download the finished version, toggle on/off different layers to see how they affect the image, then look more closely to see how it was done. I tend to learn this way easily when I can see the results.

Jan 14 10 10:53 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

photoboykane wrote:

That was just for extra credit!!!  Don't let it interfere with what you're doing. 

P2P, let me know if you want me to delete that post with the alternate version, I don't want to muck things up here!!!

OMG Photoboykane I just coped yer avi!! DEADLY!! (I like cows! NOT in a zoophyle way ye dirty dirtyyy people!)

Aw right! We'll not get too stressed over it. its meant to be fun afterall! lol! I'll go with zee flow.

Jan 14 10 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

photoboykane wrote:

That was just for extra credit!!!  Don't let it interfere with what you're doing. 

P2P, let me know if you want me to delete that post with the alternate version, I don't want to muck things up here!!!

No. That's fine. As I said above, this is part of the learning people can get from this thread/game. It's more than just fun....it's a teaching tool.

Did you guys ever want to be a teacher? Well, now you are. smile

Jan 14 10 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Ni Anluain wrote:

OMG Photoboykane I just coped yer avi!! DEADLY!! (I like cows! NOT in a zoophyle way ye dirty dirtyyy people!)

Aw right! We'll not get too stressed over it. its meant to be fun afterall! lol! I'll go with zee flow.

If you're finished, you can link your image here so we can see it. wink wink

Jan 14 10 10:57 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

photoboykane wrote:

Thank you!  As I was waiting for it to upload, I looked at the file with various layers hidden.  I think this one is interesting, it's only missing the original edit that blacked out the background.  So close to the "official" version, yet so different...

https://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww334/photoboykane/PSLayerGame1_PhotoBoy.jpg

I think we should give this to the model as a birthday present big_smile

Jan 14 10 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Koray wrote:

I think we should give this to the model as a birthday present big_smile

big_smile She'd probably like that. She's most likely keeping an eye on this thread and the other.

Jan 14 10 12:08 pm Link

Model

Nicole Black

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, US

big_smile
I love what everyone's doing with this! Oh wait...not my forum area...

*runs out of thread*

Jan 14 10 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

Jan 14 10 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

photoboykane wrote:
Does someone have the skill required to fix the extra flesh below her jaw?  I've run into problems like that before with low camera angles when the model looks down.  I'd love to see that addressed in a tutorial in a new thread. 

Just askin'...

Stick with us and you'll be fixin' 'em up in no time. big_smile

Yes, we can go over that later.

Jan 14 10 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Anyone up for another one of these?

Feb 10 10 07:47 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
Anyone up for another one of these?

well ya know I am! lol

Feb 10 10 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Ni Anluain wrote:

well ya know I am! lol

I hoped you would be. Now if we can convince Koray, Sean, and doctorontop to join us, I think we can have some fun. And anyone else who wants to play of course. smile

Feb 10 10 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

doctorontop

La Condamine, La Condamine, Monaco

I'm in smile hehe I'm still playing with the old image and breaking all the rules I've nearly finished some robot scorpions for it big_smile

Feb 10 10 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

doctorontop wrote:
I'm in smile hehe I'm still playing with the old image and breaking all the rules I've nearly finished some robot scorpions for it big_smile

Nice....smile

Feb 10 10 05:29 pm Link