Forums > Model Colloquy > Models with scoliosis?

Photographer

Jeff Goodwin

Yardley, Pennsylvania, US

I have had scoliosis since I was 13 and spent three years in physical therapy.  I am unable to lie flat on my back with my lower back touching a surface, which is fine if you don't mind a permanently arched back. Just one more reason for staying behind the camera instead of in front (in addition to being fat and ugly smile ). I do have to be thoughtful about what contortions I practice in my efforts to get the right angle on an image.

Jan 27 11 05:10 pm Link

Model

Emily Spickler

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

I have it, barely noticeable, has never been an issue with modeling.

Jan 28 11 08:19 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

I have scoliosis.. pretty bad but according to docs not bad enough for surgery. Anyway I have to admit it can affect me standing straight, that can be a challenge but im learning to work with it. Some poses look funny on me, or some I can't even do.. it's definitely a burden but I prove that it can be done.

Jan 28 11 08:20 pm Link

Model

SageBell

Portland, Oregon, US

I've always been checked and always come out negative for it and any other back issues! big_smile

Jan 28 11 10:55 pm Link

Model

Heather Trinity

Lakeland, Florida, US

I have/had a bad case of scoliosis. My spine was in the shape of a S, my body was starting to twist and look really bad, and i even have a hump on one side of my back because of it. I had surgery for it when i was 12. I had trouble breathing since my body was twisting and the doctor told me if i had waiting a couple more months i wouldn't of been living. because how bad my curve was. And even though it has stopped me from doing what i love.....cheer leading, gymnastics and skateboarding. I have learned that modeling has made me feel better about it. You cant really tell it unless you stare. and when i bend over you can tell i have a hump on one side of my back.

Jan 30 11 05:03 pm Link

Model

Fergy

Fenton, Michigan, US

I have it, kind of a long story.  I have 6 screws and 2 rods from L4-S1.  I have a C shape inbetween my shoulder blades.  I have a lot of shoulder/arm pain from it. 

Sometimes its fine, sometimes it hurts.  I also have migraines and vertigo from it, I take medicine daily for it.  If I don't take it, I am a mess that day.  Nausea, vertigo, etc..  its awful!

Jan 30 11 06:32 pm Link

Model

Deanna Lindsey

Houston, Texas, US

Abby Hawkins wrote:
I have lower-back scoliosis.  Thankfully mild.  But enough to make my back tighten up and be in pain on a way-too-common basis.
Almost every girl I know who is tall has it in some form.

Same here.  My spine is also slightly twisted like a spiral.  Obviously to a very small degree but I couldn't think of a better way to explain it.

I wish I would've tried a brace when I was in junior high, because it really does hurt quite a bit after a shoot or a lot of standing at work.

Jan 30 11 07:23 pm Link

Model

yourpalbritney

Los Angeles, California, US

i do.. shaped like an "S" but very minor... 10% on top 10% on bottom...

Jan 30 11 08:11 pm Link

Model

sheana dagrin

Miami, Florida, US

i DID BUT GOT CORRECTIVE SURGERY FOR IT LEAVING ME WTH A IMPLENTED ROD ALONG SPINE AND A MARK TO REMIND ME OF MY BATTLES

Sep 09 12 04:32 pm Link

Model

Dummea

Towson, Maryland, US

Awww...mennn thought I was the only one. :p. I have major case of scoliosis. had to quit modeling cus no show/designer was interested in having a "curvy" chick rock the runway. I should be tall and graceful, instead I am unbalanced and humpy. smh!

Oct 25 12 05:32 pm Link