Forums > Model Colloquy > Models, question for you.

Photographer

Blink Image

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I've been only shooting for about 8 months or so.  I do it mostly for hobby and part time work for client of my for internet.  I have a full time job so this is just a side gig for me.
I've done a lot of TFP sessions and some paid shoot.  As no brainer I put the paid shoot as a priority for getting the photos back to the client.
I wanted to hear from models how long you guys think is a good length of time for you to have the photos back by after the shoot for TFP sessions?  I'm not talking about the raw images.  I'm talking about finished edited photos.  I usually provide 5-10 edited photos from the entire shoot for TFP.  The models get the raw photos on a CD before they leave the shoot.
Just want to hear your opinions.

Jul 21 05 01:06 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

If not, I would suggest small images on the CD they take home if you want some control over your work.

Do you want the unedited shots on the web?

Jul 21 05 01:09 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

The answer is, it depends.

Jul 21 05 01:15 am Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I know some models know how to use Photo Shop pretty well.  I don't.  I believe that it's up to the photographer to provide the edited images.  Usually, I'm happy with 5-10 of the top images edited for posting on the internet and 1-2 prints for my book.  This is my ideal and opinion.

Jul 21 05 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I never give RAW files to anyone, thats the only file that will stand up in court if needed.

Lige Herb says, small jpgs and only edited files. aa

I don't charge for any sessions (yet) and still only give out edited files. This is a direct reflection on you and your art.

Jul 21 05 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I ask the model to send me a list of photos they want retouched, usually 2-3 per outfit.  Normally I email those back to them within a day or two.  I would think that a week on the outside should work for you.

Paul

Jul 21 05 06:14 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I made a mistake with my first TFP session, giving the model unretouched images. She put them on OMP and I hate it, since they look sloppy. I sent her the retouched versions and asked her to replace the old ones, but she hasn't done so.

So, now I only show models the unretouched versions on a non-public web page with a large watermark right in the middle. They choose and tell me which ones they want.

Still, that didn't prevent one model from using the watermarked version on Musecube, which ironically immediately led to two other models asking to shoot TFP with me.

Jul 21 05 07:51 am Link

Model

Simply Sonya

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Posted by theda: 

Truly - it depends!  But anything over 2 weeks is to  long!!

Simply *my two cents* Sonya

Jul 21 05 07:56 am Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

Posted by JvR: 
I made a mistake with my first TFP session, giving the model unretouched images. She put them on OMP and I hate it, since they look sloppy. I sent her the retouched versions and asked her to replace the old ones, but she hasn't done so.

So, now I only show models the unretouched versions on a non-public web page with a large watermark right in the middle. They choose and tell me which ones they want.

Still, that didn't prevent one model from using the watermarked version on Musecube, which ironically immediately led to two other models asking to shoot TFP with me.

JvR, I had the same experience recently except she took the image off the photo gallery I put up for her and tried to remove the watermark acroos the middle, then posted them to her omp gallery. I sent several emails with the edited versions asking her to please swap them out. She has never replied back....It is now part of my release that they are not to use proof images in their portfolios.

Jul 21 05 08:41 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Simply Sonya: 

Posted by theda: 

2 Weeks? Damn, you people are impatient.

Jul 21 05 09:04 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I have happily waited up to three months on occasion, particularly when the images in question are getting the kind of post-processing work that qualifies as art, not just basic editing.  For example, I worked with someone at the beginning of last month who actually paints on each image, so the color work ends up utterly breathtaking and completely unique.  It's going to take more than two weeks to do something like that, and frankly I consider myself so lucky to have worked with someone like that without having to pay him, that I wouldn't dream of pestering him to hurry up.

What you need to do is figure out what time frame you're comfortable with, and let the models know ahead of time that it may take such-and-such amount of time to get the images back.  That way they know going in, and there are no hard feelings.

Don't let people pressure you into turning out images you're not proud to have your name on.  If that takes a week, fine.  If it takes two months, that's still fine.  Just find your groove.

Jul 21 05 11:59 am Link

Model

justyna_b

Ottawa, Illinois, US

it depends on the photographer. depending on how much time there is after the shoot, i may stick around immediately pick my prints. other times, i would expect to wait 5 business days for contact sheets. after i pick my images, ( i only pick one per look, more than that is excessive i think) i expect them to be done and in my hand in another 10 business days, so i would say 3 weeks after the shoot is done, prints should be in my hand.... generally speaking.

~j

Jul 21 05 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Simply Sonya: 

Posted by theda: 

Thank you for saying that.

I do my sawdust best to get the model her contact gallery within two weeks of the shoot. However, if the day job is busy, or I have several shoots within a short time, sometimes it's a week or two more. (The longest so far, I think, has been four weeks.) I really don't think that even four weeks is so much to ask for a TFP shoot.

M

Jul 21 05 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Simply Sonya: 

Posted by theda: 

I to think its great that a model says that. I typical post a proof gallery with in 24 hours. In our first meeting before the shoot I am up front and tell them that it could tak a month or 2 to get a cd of finsihed images. I do sports photography as well and the paying orders take priority, but I also email each image as I finish them so the model can post it and they usually will have a couple images the first week (sometimes the same day if nothing else is going on)

Jul 21 05 01:15 pm Link

Model

Sharon Nadac

New York, New York, US

Posted by JvR: 

Wow... I haven't asked any photgraphers to do touchups... So a question back to you, if I were to do TFP with a photographer and wanted to get rid of a small zit or a vein on a photo is it alright to ask them to fix it?

Jul 22 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Posted by Sharon Nadac: 
Wow... I haven't asked any photgraphers to do touchups... So a question back to you, if I were to do TFP with a photographer and wanted to get rid of a small zit or a vein on a photo is it alright to ask them to fix it?

You shouldn't have to ask.

Paul

Jul 23 05 03:10 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Paul Ferrara: 

Posted by Sharon Nadac: 

You shouldn't have to ask.

Paul

Hear, hear. While I tend not to Barbify my models, there would have to be some pretty damn good reason for me to leave an obvious skin blemish in a photograph. Why on Earth would a photographer release images with easily correctable flaws like that? Once you get good the whole clean-up-skin thing takes thirty seconds, or maybe five minutes if you do actual skin softening or patching as opposed to just spot corrections.

When I see pictures like that, it tells me that the photographer doesn't care enough to even make an effort. Hey, we all make mistakes and sometimes a little something slips by. But at least *try.*

M

Jul 23 05 08:56 am Link

Model

Duckiey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I dont mind edited pictures but I know for sure and make sure I get the raw ones. I like to do what I want to do Photoshop wise to the photos. Some photographers over do the contrast or something and I dont like it. So do what u want but make sure I get the raw ones. And I will not sign a contract that says I cannot photoshop them. If its me in the pic and I want to B&W it Im going to. Am I wrong?

Jul 23 05 02:53 pm Link

Model

BQueenGirl

Belleville, Michigan, US

I like 2 or 3 of the outstanding in a few days so i can put them up and use them for promotions right away.  The rest a few weeks or so.  I am not that picky. 

Jul 23 05 04:55 pm Link

Model

SaraElisabeth

New York, New York, US

I expect unedited photos if not by the end of the shoot, then in the mail within days.
I expect us to talk about when to expect edited photos/prints. I expect that communication is kept open about what both of us have as far as deadlines and expectations. I'll tell you if I'm in a rush, and you tell me when you expect to have them done so I know you arent blowing me off.

as to the unedited image question... this is probably for another thread, but I get irritated when photographers wont give me the images. They are learning tools for a model. 

Jul 26 05 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Posted by Duckiey: 
I dont mind edited pictures but I know for sure and make sure I get the raw ones. I like to do what I want to do Photoshop wise to the photos. Some photographers over do the contrast or something and I dont like it. So do what u want but make sure I get the raw ones. And I will not sign a contract that says I cannot photoshop them. If its me in the pic and I want to B&W it Im going to. Am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong. If you change the photo you have diminished or changed the artist's vision. Think about it this way, you take a Dali painting and put smiley faces on it and still try to pass it off as a Dali. Would that be right to do?

Jul 26 05 05:09 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Duckiey: 
And I will not sign a contract that says I cannot photoshop them. If its me in the pic and I want to B&W it Im going to. Am I wrong?

You need something from the photographer in writing giving you the right to alter his work.

Jul 26 05 05:17 am Link

Model

SaraElisabeth

New York, New York, US

again, something to be discussed with the photgrapher. im a comp sci grad and have art courses under my belt--I'm not bad with editing.
i have some photographers who give me nothing but raw images and say have at it, give ME your edits; some who say go ahead but say photography by them, edits by me; and then some who dont want their work altered, and i honor that...

as a general rule, if you dont ask, dont edit!!!

Jul 26 05 05:51 am Link