Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Needing a bit of guidance here, help?

Model

j121

Port Nelson, Rum Cay, Bahamas

I am more of a nude model, ok ok I finally admit it. smile
I am wondering if I can get a few critiques on some of my work. Also some advice on how to ONLY do fashion tfp. They ALL want nude/implied?
Most are willing to shoot fashion etc then nude after. How do I go about saying no?

Thank MM!

Apr 19 10 08:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cordial Lee MUA

Houston, Texas, US

Here's the 411....

You admit to being a nude model, you have nudes posted in your port.

Skin sells, of course people want to get to it.

Regardless of whether you want to shoot fashion, the nudes remain a pretty predominant factor in your port. Which pretty much is your first impression.

You can do many things to change this---

1) Remove your nudes, retire from nude modeling, or state that you USED to do nudes but not anymore and that the ones still posted are just to show work of the past (which you might eventually want to take down because there's no point in keeping super old work in your port when you begin to develop more into other work to replace it with).

2) Say you only do paid nude work. This limits the opportunities for someone to want to do TF fashion for nudes with you.

3) Make a separate profile which focuses mainly on fashion.

Because you're wanting to slowly break into more fashion work, try messaging new/developing local photogs and seeing if you can set up a shoot. I say new photogs because chances are a newer photog will want more fashion/commercial images in their port before they start branching into other areas. This way you two can benefit from one another.

Apr 19 10 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Vintage Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

JUST SAY NO. Set out strict guide lines in your profile that you will only shooot nudes in paid shoots. No exceptions. If shooting TF with a photographer that will add something different and great to your port, shoot swim suit, lingerie etc. But no nudes. If a photographer wants nude, MAKE THEM PAY.

Apr 19 10 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I'm going to be brutally honest here.

You want to have real fashion shoots. Real fashion photographers shoot models that are 15-19 and 5'9" and up. You're 23 years old, and 5'5" tall, you look like you're in your thirties in a couple of shots (https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16929238 / https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/15338925 / https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/16384791), and you have generic cliche tatoos. You are not useful in our portfolios except under special circumstances.

If I can pull any new face from any top agency with a phone call, why would I shoot you for free? If you want to do fashion shoots with real fashion photographers, you need to pay for it somehow. Cash, nudes, or whatever you come up with, something has to compensate us for spending the time, energy, and resources to work with you.

Look at some real fashion magazines: Exit, Icon, Pop, 10, V, 125. Nudity: everywhere.

Apr 19 10 11:04 pm Link

Model

j121

Thank you for all the critiques. I am being paid for some nude, which now I will be putting in my port "nude shoots must be paid". I will have to do some searching for new photogs smile

Ps... I dunno about looking 30 in those photos lol!

Apr 20 10 07:15 am Link

Photographer

shutterbug6401

Newport News, Virginia, US

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but.....I read your prifile and you said "NO NUDES". I'm confused??

Apr 20 10 07:24 am Link

Model

j121

I recently put that up... Then a playnboy photog approached me to submit to them and maxim....
I still must tweak it when I get on my comp (im using my blackberry now) to have it posted paid nudes only.

Apr 20 10 07:36 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

Nice port.. Yes I think cash for nudes TFCD for others.
L2

Apr 20 10 07:41 am Link

Model

j121

I still get msg's asking, even though I know they read my folio.

Apr 20 10 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Paid Nudes is still nudes. If you want to concentrate on, shall we say clothed instead of Fashion? (to remove the assumption that everyone that uses that word is setting themselves up for a real/paid/Harper's shoot) Then just keep your clothes on. The quality of the team you work with will determine the viability of the images and determine real quick if you have a future.

Apr 20 10 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Tzalam

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I love shooting models of your body type. (minus the tattoos)
I am no a fashion photogrpaher.
You are not a fashion model, there is nothing in your port that shows fashion potential.

You finally admit that you are a nude model. What's wrong with that. Go for it. And if you can get a good photographer to do some fashion shots in addtion to nudes then use it to get a better fashion portfolio.

You don't look in your 30's IMHO.

Whether you want to model for fun or money stick to your stregths and develope them. You are more likely to succeed.

I would shoot some fashion shots of you in additon to nudes.

You have the idea body shape for incredible nudes and you haven't even realised 10% of that potential.

Apr 20 10 07:51 am Link

Model

j121

I totally realize I have the potential, just looking to expand see what I can do otherwise.
I don't want to go into the fashion portion for magazine etc (my love for modeling is in maxim style). I just want to create more of a portfolio smile
Ill PM you smile thanks
"Whew for not looking 30!"

Apr 20 10 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Wildkat Photography

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

well i wish you were in california because nude women scare me  smile  (ok, not really)

if anything these two images tell me you can look younger than you are:
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/100305/05/4b910b8763b3d_m.jpg
https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/091127/17/4b107d7a33dc2_m.jpg

A thought - make a second profile with nothing but non-nudes/the pics you want to shoot. 

Other than that, do a trade of pics you want for pics the photog wants.  Or come to california and I will be happy to shoot you fully clothed!

Apr 20 10 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

if you don't want to pose nude in exchange for fashion shots, just say no...

Apr 21 10 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Lucas Brilliott

Austin, Texas, US

Cordial Lee MUA wrote:
3) Make a separate profile which focuses mainly on fashion.

This seems to work the best for the models here in San Antonio, TX.  Models here on MM will always have to deal with photographers asking to do nude shoots.  Make it clear what your grounds are for that and stick with it.

All the best!

Lucas B.

Apr 21 10 09:01 am Link