Forums > Photography Talk > Ring Flash...Cheapo or Canon Brand. Any Big Diff??

Photographer

abatarphoto

Eskilstuna, Södermanland, Sweden

Here is a link for DiY Ringflash,,,,cheap but fun and it works yikes)
http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmast … -flash.htm

Aug 01 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Chip Willis wrote:
I used to have a Sunpak Dx12R long ago, and the canon is much better.
here is an image with the MR14 as main, and 580Ex as slave TTL.
[

does the canon offer an auto-exposure mode for auto use on non-ttl cameras?  what justifies the significantly more money for the canon over the sunpak?

Aug 01 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

does the canon offer an auto-exposure mode for auto use on non-ttl cameras?  what justifies the significantly more money for the canon over the sunpak?

No auto exposure mode. It can be operated in manual.

I think alot of the cost is - It will trigger 580Ex strobes, as slaves, which is very useful.

I used to have a Sunpak Dx12 R a few years ago, and it is a great unit also. The module didn't work TTL or auto exposure, so I dont know if you can do auto with it or not. Maybe it depened upon the module used. At the time, the module wasnt compatible with new Canon D30 slrs, so I got the plain module which would trigger from the hotshoe. I used it on manual all of the time.

Aug 01 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Chip Willis wrote:

No auto exposure mode. It can be operated in manual.

I think alot of the cost is - It will trigger 580Ex strobes, as slaves, which is very useful.

I used to have a Sunpak Dx12 R a few years ago, and it is a great unit also. The module didn't work TTL or auto exposure, so I dont know if you can do auto with it or not. Maybe it depened upon the module used. At the time, the module wasnt compatible with new Canon D30 slrs, so I got the plain module which would trigger from the hotshoe. I used it on manual all of the time.

thanks.  i've been using the 12r for a few years.  the lack of auto mode can be a pain when moving around quickly - i hate fiddling with meters and power sliders when i'm on a roll!  i think for the price of the canon + battery pack, i'd probably just go for the profoto acute and have it modded to fit my lumedyne pack.

Aug 01 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

thanks.  i've been using the 12r for a few years.  the lack of auto mode can be a pain when moving around quickly - i hate fiddling with meters and power sliders when i'm on a roll!  i think for the price of the canon + battery pack, i'd probably just go for the profoto acute and have it modded to fit my lumedyne pack.

Profoto Acute head is nice, esp with the softlight reflector.

Do you go to the Flash Clinic?
I heard they modded heads to speedotron too? I was thinking of picking up the new speedo pack.. just cant afford Profot at the moment.

Aug 01 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Chip Willis wrote:

Profoto Acute head is nice, esp with the softlight reflector.

Do you go to the Flash Clinic?
I heard they modded heads to speedotron too? I was thinking of picking up the new speedo pack.. just cant afford Profot at the moment.

i haven't had anything done yet, nor have i bought the profoto.  the sunpak works ok for me for now, but i may upgrade at some point.

i'll check flash clinic.  i know lumedyne does the conversions themselves.  they are pretty cool to deal with.

Aug 01 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ken Rieves Photography wrote:
Not to perpetuate gossip, but I too have been hearing rumblings that AB is going to be coming out with an affordable ring flash.

This isn't gossip.  AB has confirmed and it was supposedly going to debut at the end of July / beginning of August.  SO it should be on its way...

Aug 01 06 05:34 pm Link