Forums > Model Colloquy > What can a model write off as expense?

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Hey, I'm new in the US modeling industry and I'm curious to know what a model can write off for your taxes.  I heard that you can write off travel expense (air or gas), and sometimes even hair/make-up/wardrobe if you had to purchase or provide any of those.  Anyone know the details???

Jul 25 05 10:50 pm Link

Model

Duckiey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I dont know about modeling but I know my bf is a realtor and he can write off everything! Even a part of his house, you name it he can write it off. So if the same thing can go for models, Which is a great question! Then damn we could write off tonssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Hmm I should ask my lawyer friend.

Jul 25 05 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographerMV

Norwood, Colorado, US

its like this, its all about the consumables. basically anything that you payed taxes on that get 'consumed' such as fuel or maintenence, even tools such as shoes that are "required and not reimbursed by the employer" (which could be yourself), aswell as expenses incured such as toll's, office expenses,... you would be expected to take a deprecated over time writeoff anything (single item) over i think its 5-600$, and you can only write off up to 20k if you declare atleast 20k in earnings. the same as for anyonelse that is technically self employed......

somthing like that.

BTW i am just a Gardener, but i did party once at the gardner family house with izabella's great grandaughter.

do you believe i spelled massachusettes correct?

and BTW you dont talk ot an attorney, you talk to an accountant.

Jul 25 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

In California, if it's her only source of income, 8% of everything she spends on modeling. Unless she is here on an immigrant visa. Then it's 30% as an independent contractor.

Aie'nt life grand!

Jul 25 05 11:27 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I write off EVERYTHING...

I use my check card or credit card for all work related purchases...gas/airfare, hotels, food when out of town, clothes shoes, stockings, makeup, deodorant, panties, trips to the salon, etc..etc...

Since I dance, I can also write off my tampons..and I do LoL.

Then, I turn in my statements to H&R and they do the rest.

Jul 25 05 11:31 pm Link

Model

Duckiey

you can do cell phone bills too.

Jul 25 05 11:31 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

yes, and home phone bills...you can even write off car maintenance such as oil changes and tunes ups, flat tires, etc.. or if you have to rent a car.

I even write off my aol bill because I use it so much for my modeling.

Jul 25 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

While I am not a CPA (or play one on tv) I do think you should be carefull and consult one.

You can only deduct a portion of your home if it is a dedicated space for business, no personal use. This would go for everything else you buy (shoes, clothes, etc) they have to be for dedicated business use and can not be used for personal use.

Phone an utilities the same, only the portion that is used for business.

And for all the models that get paid for travel, once you take money for the trip it is not a write off, the photographer  (or whoever) that paid will report it as an expense on his/her part.

Jul 26 05 12:11 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Wardrobe, make-up, salon appointments, travel possibly.

Consult a local CPA who is faimiliar with both local and federal tax laws.

Jul 26 05 02:48 am Link

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

oh yea and you have to actually show an income from it (doing nothing but tfp's won't cut it) and an actual profit with in  3-5yrs or they start to get concered (aka audit).

Jul 26 05 07:20 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Posted by Jen-E: 
I write off EVERYTHING...

I use my check card or credit card for all work related purchases...gas/airfare, hotels, food when out of town, clothes shoes, stockings, makeup, deodorant, panties, trips to the salon, etc..etc...

Since I dance, I can also write off my tampons..and I do LoL.

Then, I turn in my statements to H&R and they do the rest. 

Blimbey mate, Ur good! i couldnt write off a shower or body lotion when i was teaching 6 hours of aerobic fitness classes a day!!!

Jul 26 05 10:11 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

LOL. Thanks >all!!!

Jul 26 05 10:45 am Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

LoL, I just show that I use the regular cheap stuff on a daily basis, and the really expensive lotions and washes for days of shoots and days I work...establishes the difference and makes it a write-off. I also use a separate card for daily expenses and work expenses.

I also write off fake eyelashes since I only wear them for work. I get back at least 100 bucks a year on those alone.

Jul 26 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

How about bullets?

Jul 26 05 01:26 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Jack D Trute: 
How about bullets?

Haha, no....I don't go to my shoots dressed up like Rambo.. I leave it under the seat of my car.

Jul 26 05 01:29 pm Link

Model

Duckiey

thankx god I dont have to do taxes.

Jul 26 05 04:08 pm Link

Model

Leila

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

I know a side show performer who writes his nipples off as an expence. I'm not joking he really does. He does this act where he swings objects from a chain connected to his nipple piercings. For those of you who don't know piercing and gauging are VERY expensive. Its usually $100 to get them both pierced, and then jewlery starts around $20. So you can easily spend about $200 gauging them down to a size two.

The point is if you use it in your job you can write if off. I'ld write off all my piercings, tattoos, make-up and travel.

Jul 26 05 06:56 pm Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Posted by Leila: 
I know a side show performer who writes his nipples off as an expence. I'm not joking he really does. He does this act where he swings objects from a chain connected to his nipple piercings. For those of you who don't know piercing and gauging are VERY expensive. Its usually $100 to get them both pierced, and then jewlery starts around $20. So you can easily spend about $200 gauging them down to a size two.

The point is if you use it in your job you can write if off. I'ld write off all my piercings, tattoos, make-up and travel.

LoL, I have written off all of my body art except for the tattoo portrait of my son. I did most of my piercings myself, but I still wrote off the jewelry. I did the fairy tattoo myself as well, but I still wrote off the ink and shop time... I doubt I'll be writing any of that off this year since I haven't been doing that much work targeted to body art.

Jul 26 05 07:52 pm Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

Anything to do with your business.
I have a Wilhelmina book this is what it listed:
Make sure you save all receipts. It also says to use the 5 W's Who-What-When-Why on the back of them expecially clothes or whatever you buy before a shoot.
Anyway here it is
printing of comp cards
any shoots you pay for
postage for mailings
answering machine
photographs and printing
portfolio
clothing and accessories
haircuts, manicures, pedicures, facials
Promotional Material ( websites- and it says fee for including your photo in the agency promotional book)
accounting and tax preperation fees
acting classes and coaching, voice, singing, dance classes
telephone/ cell phone
office supplies
auto expenses
business meals and entertainment
business gifts
union dues
travel expenses( car rentals, plane tickets, buses, taxis, trains, meals and lodging)
So really , anything you buy you can write off but just dont go crazy lol smile
I also read a few postings on models making some clothes so sewing machines lol

Jul 28 05 01:23 am Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

In my filing cabinet I usually staple directions- photographers name- receipts that i got for the shoot. SO when you get your taxes done its all organized.

Jul 28 05 01:25 am Link