Forums > Model Colloquy > Thigh Circumference

Model

KorEyes

El Paso, Texas, US

I'm wondering what the average model's thigh circumference is (the measurement around the thickest part of one thigh). I have pretty thick legs and mine is 21.5 inches, though I wear a size 2. If you don't mind, could you tell me your pant size and your thigh circumference?

Sep 16 10 09:29 am Link

Model

-Jen-

Howell, Michigan, US

um, why?

Sep 16 10 09:33 am Link

Model

KorEyes

El Paso, Texas, US

Just something I've been self-conscious about. I find that pants usually are too big in the waist, but tight in the thigh. Wondering if thigh circumference is usually proportional to waist size and where I fit in the big picture.

Sep 16 10 09:40 am Link

Model

Alyssa Lamay

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

haha I have no clue what my measurements even are.. just wanted to say looking at your port.. from what I can tell you look very well proportioned.  I wouldnt give it a second thought

Sep 16 10 09:44 am Link

Model

ariana fromtoronto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

only worry about bust, waist and hips.. if we started measuring our arms, calves, thighs.. this industry would go more crazy than it already is!..

tongue

Sep 16 10 09:54 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

KorEyes wrote:
Just something I've been self-conscious about. I find that pants usually are too big in the waist, but tight in the thigh. Wondering if thigh circumference is usually proportional to waist size and where I fit in the big picture.

That means that you have a small waist, not that your thighs are too big.

Sep 16 10 09:58 am Link

Model

KorEyes

El Paso, Texas, US

Well, when I lived in Korea, I could not buy a pair of pants to save my life. Anything that fit in the waist, I couldn't even get my leg in. Anything that fit in the leg I could wrap around my waist twice. Thank god for ordering clothes online!

Sep 16 10 10:00 am Link

Model

ZoeBelle

Seattle, Washington, US

I think you have amazing legs!  I do know how you feel though.  I have a small waist (28 inches) and wear pants in size 6 or 8 depending on the style and brand. The thighs are always the tightest for me too hmm  The thickest part of my thighs is 23 inches.

Sep 16 10 10:06 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

I have the exact same problem--my waist is 23 inches, but my rear end sticks out like crazy (thank you, genetics), and I also have dancer thighs. I've found that some brands have started to put little button-and-hole adjustment thingies (like on the back of a cummerbond, if that makes sens--sorry idr what that's actually called) on the back of their pants, at least here in Israel. I think it's a great idea, and hope the rest of the world implements this soon!

In the meantime, I suggest making friends with your seamstress. wink

Oh, and for what it's worth, here are my measurements:

Bust-33 inches
Waist-23 inches
Hip-35 inches (working on getting it to match everything else...)
Thigh-19 inches

Hope that helps!! smile

Sep 16 10 10:33 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

my thigh is 18.5"

...but that's considered big for a fashion model.

Sep 16 10 11:13 am Link

Model

Mitzu Robinson

Santa Cruz, California, US

I think I have all of you beat.... my waist is a 27 and my thighs, when measured together at the thickest part, are a 37.... larger than my hip measurement. 

That said, I do probably weigh considerably more than most people in here...
Plus, I'm losing weight and appreciate my thighs, because they carry me around all day long. ( :

Sep 16 10 11:18 am Link

Model

Mitzu Robinson

Santa Cruz, California, US

Mitzu Robinson wrote:
I think I have all of you beat.... my waist is a 27 and my thighs, when measured together at the thickest part, are a 37.... larger than my hip measurement. 

That said, I do probably weigh considerably more than most people in here...
Plus, I'm losing weight and appreciate my thighs, because they carry me around all day long. ( :

I think people are only measuring on thigh.  In that case, it's 24 for me...

Sep 16 10 11:19 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

It goes between 21.5 and 22 when I am being very fit, working out hard, etc. When I am slacking and gain weight, it goes up to 23. I only gain weight on my butt and thighs, and nowhere else.

Sep 16 10 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Paul Ferris

New York, New York, US

A woman walks into a tattoo parlor and tells the artist that she wants a turkey tattooed on the inside of one thigh and a christmas tree tattooed on the other thigh. The tattoo artist says sure but can I ask why you want them there? She replies Because my husband says always over eats between the hollidays.

Sep 16 10 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Michael_S_Photography

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

KorEyes wrote:
I'm wondering what the average model's thigh circumference is (the measurement around the thickest part of one thigh). I have pretty thick legs and mine is 21.5 inches, though I wear a size 2. If you don't mind, could you tell me your pant size and your thigh circumference?

My previous girl, had similar issues; tennis player, strong legs, wide hips tiny waist.  She just had to try on a lot of pairs of jeans until something worked.  Low rise seemed to work out more often because the waist was less of a factor.  While it may not fit the perfect fashion model dimensions, it does work very well to attract members of the opposite sex wink

Sep 16 10 11:26 am Link

Model

Rachel in GR

I agree with the low-waisted jeans comment, though when you wear THOSE, you have to be sure that you don't have any extra fat running around, giving you that unsightly "muffin top"!!! :-o

Sep 16 10 01:01 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

In the past couple of years, my thighs expanded from about 17" to between 19" and 20". My hips and waist have stayed about the same, but my grandmother's thighs caught up to me. Yay age. 

And low rise pants are not an answer. If they're too tight in the waist band, you get a muffin top (unless you are rock solid) and if they're too big, they gap when you sit down.  I hate those things and cannot wait until they are completely our of style.

Sep 16 10 01:33 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Now you all made me get the tape measure out....at the widest part of my thigh it's 19 1/2"

Sep 16 10 01:41 pm Link

Model

KorEyes

El Paso, Texas, US

theda wrote:
I hate those things and cannot wait until they are completely our of style.

Amen to that!

Sep 16 10 01:43 pm Link

Model

Rachel in GR

Pants-shopping is just oh-so difficult. I say we all revert to dresses, like in the '50's. :-P

Sep 16 10 02:17 pm Link

Model

Kristina Vassilieva LDN

London, England, United Kingdom

Mine is 17", I wear size 2.

Kristina Vassilieva smile x o x o
http://www.kvmedia.co.uk [Kristina Vassilieva Photography]
http://www.kvmodel.com [Kristina Vassilieva London Fashion Model]
http://www.youtube.com/londonfashionmodel [Kristina Vassilieva on YouTube]
http://www.facebook.com/vassilieva [Kristina Vassilieva on Facebook]

Sep 16 10 03:36 pm Link

Model

LC Mtl

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Forget about thigh circumferences!

We are all very different!
Mine are quite big for fashion; But who cares! smile

BIG is BEAUTIFUL! big_smile
Your body is perfect IMO smile

LC

Sep 16 10 03:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

LC Mtl wrote:
Forget about thigh circumferences!

We are all very different!
Mine are quite big for fashion; But who cares! smile

BIG is BEAUTIFUL big_smile
Your body is perfect IMO smile

LC

It's hard to forget about it when all of a sudden your thighs grow 2-3 inches but your calves are still too small for every pair of boots.

Sep 16 10 03:47 pm Link

Model

LC Mtl

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

theda wrote:
It's hard to forget about it when all of a sudden your thighs grow 2-3 inches but your calves are still too small for every pair of boots.

Yeah... sad
Well, like they say on "TLC What not to wear" (I like that TV show haha) ; your body isn't the problem, it's the clothes! smile

But I know what you mean - there aren't much boots for small calves - I have a hard time finding that too.

LC

Sep 16 10 03:50 pm Link

Model

MelanieAP

Columbia, South Carolina, US

LC Mtl wrote:

Yeah... sad
Well, like they say on "TLC What not to wear" (I like that TV show haha) ; your body isn't the problem, it's the clothes! smile

But I know what you mean - there aren't much boots for small calves - I have a hard time finding that too.

LC

I don't know why I torture myself with that damn measuring tape tongue lol I played volleyball pretty religiously for about 6 years, and I'm waiting for my leg muscles to go down. I remember my calves were so freaking muscular that I was always having to wear ankle boots! lol so I cherish my boots now.

Sep 16 10 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dodys

Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan

Ariana Diabla wrote:
only worry about bust, waist and hips.. if we started measuring our arms, calves, thighs.. this industry would go more crazy than it already is!..

tongue

very well said smile

but hey , just wondering, for those whose thighs have increased in size (over a period of time) are there any recommended exercises to reduce them ?

Sep 16 10 04:17 pm Link

Model

MelanieAP

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Baba Dody wrote:

very well said smile

but hey , just wondering, for those whose thighs have increased in size (over a period of time) are there any recommended exercises to reduce them ?

I found that in order to loose my thigh mass, which was pretty much all muscle, I had to walk walk walk. Of course diet has everything to do with it as well, but in order for me to stray away from my muscle bulk I had to start to turn it into lean muscle by extending my legs to their capacity, such as yoga and walking.

Sep 16 10 04:22 pm Link

Model

Z A N Z A N

York Harbour, Guam, US

Vogue_Junkie wrote:
my thigh is 18.5"

...but that's considered big for a fashion model.

Do you know what is considered average or small for a fashion model?

I'm 19" and it's the only thing I really can't stand about my body.

Sep 16 10 05:55 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

I was so curious I had to measure them! lol! mine are 21"  my pant size is 10 smile

I'm wondering if you are having more of a hip to waist ratio issue than a thigh issue. I have to shop for my hips, not my waist. My solution, low rise jeans smile

Sep 16 10 06:06 pm Link

Model

x Charlene

San Francisco, California, US

I just measured mine, but I have tight jeans on and they're almost 19 inches. I wear a size 0 or 1 in junior size. So I guess a 0 or 1 in adult/womens. And I also fit size 16 for girls in most brands, but they look kind of silly.

Sep 16 10 06:28 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

x Michelle wrote:
I just measured mine, but I have tight jeans on and they're almost 19 inches. I wear a size 0 or 1 in junior size. So I guess a 0 or 1 in adult/womens. And I also fit size 16 for girls in most brands, but they look kind of silly.

you would be a size 2 i believe in women's. *hint, women's sizing uses even numbers and junor's uses odds. smile

Sep 16 10 06:37 pm Link

Model

Malin_

New York, New York, US

I feel your pain.... my thighs are my worst problem area. Even now after I've lost some weight (about 7 lbs) they seem to slim down much slower than the rest of my body. It sucks! They're about 19 inches around the fattest part and I wear a 2/4 in sample sizes, and 2 or smaller in vanity sizes.

Unlike other people in this thread, I don't have a problem with low rise jeans, though... that's the only denim cut that looks good on me, so I hope they never go out of style. smile

Sep 16 10 07:53 pm Link

Model

Jesse Danger

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I was fine with my thighs...until I started reading this damn post!

I wear a 1 in pants...and my thighs are 20.5''

I feel like they could loose an inch but too much and I think it would look strange.

Certain measurements arent going to look right on every woman.

Sep 16 10 08:30 pm Link

Model

E_V_A

Redondo Beach, California, US

Any other models have the opposite problem? I can never find jeans because my legs are a lot thinner than my hips, so pants are either good in the hip but too loose in the leg, or vise versa. =[

Sep 16 10 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

21.5 isn't anything that is way out of the ballpark.

Sep 16 10 10:09 pm Link

Model

FallenEcho

Escondido, California, US

20.5 but I don't really think thighs should matter much! Just stick to the three measurments! >.

Sep 16 10 10:33 pm Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

Alexandra Evelyn wrote:

Do you know what is considered average or small for a fashion model?

I'm 19" and it's the only thing I really can't stand about my body.

I would say 17" is pretty average.  Though, I have seen even smaller.

Sep 18 10 11:46 am Link

Model

EmmaNaomi

Leicester, England, United Kingdom

Eva Barda wrote:
Any other models have the opposite problem? I can never find jeans because my legs are a lot thinner than my hips, so pants are either good in the hip but too loose in the leg, or vise versa. =[

Yes, I have that exact problem, I have small thighs (about 18") but medium/large hips (35") (plus a small waist as well!!) - anything I find which fits my hips is too baggy at my thighs and waist, and vice versa. Makes finding jeans awful, it's hard enough getting good 36" inside leg ones!

Sep 18 10 03:28 pm Link

Model

Kitty LaRose

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I know how you feel, I personally believe all my weight goes to my thighs hmm I'm the most self-conscious about them over any other body part. If you are concerned, just start doing exercises to tone and shape them smile

Sep 18 10 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

mine is 40cm but then I do have legs like a Pakistani racing duck. LOL

Sep 18 10 11:39 pm Link