Forums > General Industry > Model Compensation Questions

Model

Celia Nudes

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

The Dark Corner wrote:
I should think nude shoots are easier for models anyway, so definitely do not understand why they (usually) charge additional to pose nude. No wardrobe to worry about, and if you actually check references, then you should not have any creepy 'togs to worry about.

There are a few reasons for this:

1)  Getting naked in front of strangers is something most people cannot do.  That makes it a marketable skill for those of us who can do it.  I didn't go to school to learn now to pose nude, but it is not something you can ask anyone off the street to do.  Even if they agree, you don't even know if they look good nude. 

2) What would I do with naked pictures of myself?  Besides use them to get paid nude work?  I can't put them on facebook.  I can't email them to my mom.  I can't send them to casting directors.  With few exceptions, I don't really get anything out of being photographed nude.  So why would I want to do it for free?

The Dark Corner wrote:
1.) Without triggering a bunch of "a model can charge whatever they want; you don't have to pay it/work with them" responses, how do models justify such extreme compensation requirements? Experience might be a legitimate response if more than 2% of models on this site actually had any.

A lot moren than 2% of the models on this site have experience.  There are some girls who join with cell photo pics and never shoot, but they are the minority.  If you sign up and start shooting, then you gain experience.

I don't really think that my rates are unreasonable or extreme.  They might be if I was expecting you to book me for a 40 hour work week.  But a lot of photographers only want to book a model for a few hours at a time.  It doesn't usually work out to be that much.  In fact, my rates are negotiable, so if you book me longer, they tend to go down.

Jan 26 11 02:13 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

Los Angeles, California, US

Yeah that's right, we didn't ever DO anything to deserve good pay... LOL

Glad there's large groups of people who disagree with that sentiment.

Jan 26 11 02:21 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

Celia Nudes wrote:

1)  Getting naked in front of strangers is something most people cannot do. 
2) What would I do with naked pictures of myself?

True Statements.

Jan 26 11 02:21 am Link

Model

Jessica Vaugn

g r e g g o r i o  wrote:
...   not your low rider glam gals.........

Resent that.

smile

I'm in girls of lowriders in Feb!!

hahahaha

Jan 26 11 02:24 am Link

Model

Anushka Bella

Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

Celia Nudes wrote:

1)  Getting naked in front of strangers is something most people cannot do.  That makes it a marketable skill for those of us who can do it.  I didn't go to school to learn now to pose nude, but it is not something you can ask anyone off the street to do.  Even if they agree, you don't even know if they look good nude. 

2) What would I do with naked pictures of myself?  Besides use them to get paid nude work?  I can't put them on facebook.  I can't email them to my mom.  I can't send them to casting directors.  With few exceptions, I don't really get anything out of being photographed nude.  So why would I want to do it for free?

Aaahhhhh the voice of reason!
Can I get a AMEN??
"AMEN!"

Jan 26 11 02:35 am Link

Model

Laura Fillisch-Wilson

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

I've racked up $700 in my course, $200+ in transport, $100+ in beauty products, $100+ in wardrobe, and I haven't even got my first paid shoot yet. I'm not planning to for another 6 months. I want to be worth the money. It would be ideal to pay off what I spent on all this, but we'll see. I spend at least 5 hours a week networking with other models and photographers. So far, I am paying for this. Hmph! It is not easy to be a photographer, I know that, I used to do photography. I did get a whopping $250 for a whole-day wedding. Including many, many hours of slaving away at a computer screen between part time work, full time study.

Neither side is easy. We do it for the art, and the money.

Jan 26 11 02:39 am Link

Model

Jalanis

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

time is money.

Jan 26 11 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Experience is just one factor in the value of a product-uniqueness and convenience are also very important factors.  Understanding how to create value is a key of any successful business, including commercial photography and modeling.

The mechanic only earns a wage when they are trained on a car that is of the type that the consumer needs and at a location convenient to the customer.  Uniqueness and convenience are combined with the mechanics experience to earn revenue from the consumer.

My commercial photography works by creating a product of high value to my consumers.  I have great experience, unique talents, and provide a convenient service that makes choosing me a much better choice than Sears Portrait Studio.  My clients often hire models from talent agencies based on their uniqueness and convenience.  My photography services and the models talents are combined to create a product of high value, such as images for advertising.  The same thing works for my successful Clients, they use the images generated by the model and I to earn more income.

Uniqueness is the most important value a model brings to a Client.  There simply are few beautiful people that are perceived to have high value to a variety of Clients as models. The rate of their pay is a perception of their value based on their unique look and the income to be generated by the project involved.  An advertising campaign for a large international retail store will pay the photographer and talent much more than a photo shoot to be used for posters at a local bar.

As for your questions-
Yes-some models have been paid by my Clients and my own business projects $100+ an hour.  Models of this quality are not common to me, but my Client clearly value their services at that rate or above.  Nudity is another factor of uniqueness and obviously increases the income of the project and rate of pay for the model.
1) People get paid by how much value they generate. Models commonly get paid these rate by successful Clients.   
2) I generally do notice significant differences between photographs by models of different quality.  In fact it is part of my services to help Clients pick models that are the right choice for their project based on uniqueness and $$$.
3) Intended use and project scope is a big value factor in the cost of my services and the fees paid to a model. 

I'm not so sure why this is so frustrating to you, or why you don't understand how businesses make value. Models who have a strong track record of making images of high value to the Clients can often make $100 + an hour.  When push comes to shove, they are simply creating more value than you and operating a more successful business.

-Scott

Jan 26 11 07:17 am Link