Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Kryolan Dermacolor Camouflage System

Makeup Artist

Sarah Jane Ellis

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Hi I recently bought the 24 palette and was wondering what the best way of application is for this product in your personal opinion

Feb 25 11 12:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Making Up Faces

New York, New York, US

I have been using that for years. I use a  concealer type brush and paint it on until I have the color I need or the coverage I need. If I want to thin it out a bit I use a little moisturizer with it.
Have I answered your question or where you looking for something differnt?

Feb 25 11 01:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BMR-MUA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sarah Jane Ellis wrote:
Hi I recently bought the 24 palette and was wondering what the best way of application is for this product in your personal opinion

You set the product with the Dermacolor waterproof setting powder. I've found it to be an excellent concealer with quite a bit of covering power even when applied thinly.

Feb 25 11 02:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sarah Jane Ellis

well i want to use it as a foundation and get a flawless look which im not sure im achieving.

Feb 26 11 09:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

Norah Salazar

New York, New York, US

Sarah Jane Ellis wrote:
well i want to use it as a foundation and get a flawless look which im not sure im achieving.

Hi Sarah, I recently used Kryolan for a whitened layered look, think Lady Gaga, I used a MUFE primer and was very light handed both as a foundation and a concealer.

Feb 26 11 07:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Liv Free MUAH

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

hi hun, dermacolor is a camouflage product and is used for camouflaging skin conditions, scars, tattoos, etc. I use the minipalettes for concealor but i would never use it as a foundation purely because it is very very thick, and very heavy as it wasnt made to be used as a proper foundation... i think that perhaps i would only consider trying it as a foundation for theatre work.

Feb 27 11 01:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

Liv Free wrote:
hi hun, dermacolor is a camouflage product and is used for camouflaging skin conditions, scars, tattoos, etc. I use the minipalettes for concealor but i would never use it as a foundation purely because it is very very thick, and very heavy as it wasnt made to be used as a proper foundation... i think that perhaps i would only consider trying it as a foundation for theatre work.

Fun Fact - Kevyn Aucoin used DermaColor as foundation quite often.  He would totally blank out a face with the correct skintone, then highlight and contour to what ever shape he wanted.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FnFcRcImqG0/TQr17NK6ZKI/AAAAAAAAAKk/cBS-PQz6QSE/s1600/contouring1.jpg

Feb 27 11 03:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Liv Free MUAH

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

Very artistic smile

Feb 27 11 07:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Glamour Girl6

Naples, New York, US

I miss Kevyn.

Feb 27 11 06:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sarah Jane Ellis

thanks girls. well i cant afford another palette so im gunna be using that as a foundation thinning it with moisturiser. ive used it over the weekend on shoots and mixed with a moisturiser made it nice to use. just gunna have to wait and see how the pix come out.

Feb 28 11 02:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sarah Jane Ellis

*thanks girls and guys :-)

Feb 28 11 02:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NR MUA

Los Angeles, California, US

I purchased the "beauty tech" concealer palette from Alcone.  It looks exactly like the kryolan palettes. Does anyone know the difference and what exactly the beauty tech was specially made for? Thanks

Feb 28 11 02:41 pm Link

Hair Stylist

EVOLVING IMAGES INC

Los Angeles, California, US

NR MUA wrote:
I purchased the "beauty tech" concealer palette from Alcone.  It looks exactly like the kryolan palettes. Does anyone know the difference and what exactly the beauty tech was specially made for? Thanks

What have you used your beauty tech palette for? Really thinking about buying it....

Mar 07 12 07:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Emper Atrizz

Ljubljana, Osrednjeslovenska, Slovenia

Dermacolor is good for foundations/highlighting/shading/concealer  work with huge color selection, but it is a product you have to master for beauty, film..... applications other wise it will look heavy and very teatrical. You even dont need to dilute it just load your brush-sponge lightly and apply it with a light hand or buff it in but look also beatufull mixed with Temptu base, primers or some liquid illuminator like Skin lights -Revlon, Kryolan Shimmering event foundations.
A lot of my work was done with Derma so I like to have it in my kit. Also Dermacolor powder is very nice for very oily skin.

Mar 08 12 03:12 am Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

NR MUA wrote:

They look similar for a reason ...I wonder who manufactures "BeautyTech"? (looks up at ceiling and whistles softly)

Mar 08 12 05:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Joy Adenuga

London, England, United Kingdom

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:

They look similar for a reason ...I wonder who manufactures "BeautyTech"? (looks up at ceiling and whistles softly)

lollll!!!!

Mar 08 12 10:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

lashes to lockes

Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom

Sarah Jane Ellis wrote:
thanks girls. well i cant afford another palette so im gunna be using that as a foundation thinning it with moisturiser. ive used it over the weekend on shoots and mixed with a moisturiser made it nice to use. just gunna have to wait and see how the pix come out.

Try mixing it with Spotlight from Estee Lauder, it will make it look less caked and feel more wearable.
You can mix this with any foundation smile

Mar 08 12 11:09 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Goldstein

Freehold, New Jersey, US

I like the "beauty tech" palette and use it as a concealer/highlight. I like the consistency of it. I apply it with a concealer brush and then blend it down with the beauty blender. As KJ said or suggested lol it's made by Kryolan as well. When you buy it online from Alcone it's listed as a shade option under Kryolan Dermacolor Mini 16 Concealer.

Mar 11 12 07:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is great for me. I just purchased the camouflage system and I'm eager to use it in the ways that were suggested in this thread.

Jun 13 13 04:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KathyAragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

lol I know I am bringing up this post from the depths of hell but I had to chime in since I have an answer to this dermacolor/beauty tech question on here. I happened to be searching on google for dermacolor and it shot me here to my old stomping grounds smile
Alcone started a line called "Beauty Tech" as a compilation of it's best selling products (including dermacolor!) for HSN. The line eventually grew into "Alcone at Home" as they tried a direct sales approach, allowing their makeup artists and fans to resell their most popular products (like RCMA, dermacolor, il makiage, kett powder, and more) to make commission. Fast forward to this year and Alcone has added a brand new all natural skincare line that took them 2 years to formulate. The entire line of Alcone's best sellers, along with the new skincare line has been rebranded to "LimeLight by Alcone". Now anyone can sign up to be a distributor of these awesome products and make commission off of it. Here is more of a scrolling timeline for those who want to see how it all came together on Alcone's website: http://www.alconeco.com/our-story/

Mar 06 15 04:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

Popping back in since this was bumped. Since my original post several years ago, I took a tattoo cover class at the Kryolan studio in Chicago. Kryolan makes a thinner similar in function to RCMA thinner but it's creamier like a lotion. They recommend this product to thin out the dermacolor so that it can apply more like a traditional foundation.

Mar 08 15 01:30 am Link