Forums > Photography Talk > The Official Stock Photography/Stock Agency Thread

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Los Angeles, California, US

I will be updating this thread periodically with a running list of Stock Agencies including their subjects, and whether they are Rights Managed or Royalty Free.

========================================

Getty Images - http://www.gettyimages.com/
"We are a leading provider of digital media worldwide, creating and distributing a range of assets – from royalty-free stock photography and editorial images to footage, music and multimedia – that help communicators around the globe tell their stories. "

Type: Rights-Managed and Royalty Free data bases.

Subjects: Anything and Everything Creative and Editorial (news, sports, entertainment, celebrity)

Beginning Pay Terms: 30% Photographer | 70% Agency

Contributing: http://imagery.gettyimages.com/AboutGet … tributors/

----------------------------Part of the Getty Family----------------

WireImage - http://www.wireimage.com/
"As a top-ranking digital photo agency and wire service for entertainment, WireImage captures all the major events in the business, ranging from awards ceremonies, movie and television premieres, concerts, festivals, social events and much more. Our imagery appears regularly around the world in magazines, newspapers, websites, television programs, advertisements and wireless applications."

Type: Rights Managed

Subjects: Main focus is on Editorial (Entertainment, Sports, News)

Contributing:     WireImage Los Angeles, Assignments
Phone: (323) 202-4101 (photo)
WireImage New York, Assignments
Phone: (646) 613-5580

===========================================

Corbis Images - http://www.corbisimages.com/
"Corbis is a creative resource for advertising, marketing and media professionals, providing a comprehensive selection of photography, illustration, footage, typefaces and rights clearance services. Through its branded web sites Corbis, Corbis Motion, Veer and GreenLight, the company helps the creative community make distinctive advertising and publishing for the Internet, magazines, newspapers, books, television and films. Corbis is based in Seattle, with offices in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia that serve more than 50 countries."

Type: Rights Managed and Royalty Free

Subjects: Anything and Everything Creative and Editorial (news, sports, entertainment, celebrity)

Contributing: http://contributor.corbis.com/

================================

Zuma Press - http://zumapress.com/
"Started in the early 1990s by photojournalists for photojournalists - not shareholders or billionaires - ZUMA Press is now the world's largest independent press agency and wire service.

ZUMA Press, produces award-winning news, sports and entertainment content and represents some of the greatest photojournalists, media groups, newspapers and picture agencies around the globe. ZUMA's staff of 50+ represents over 3,000 photographers worldwide and over 60 of the world's best picture agencies spanning the planet, as well as over 100 newspapers and the daily feed and archive of 33 publishing giants. ZUMA's photographers have won numerous awards, including the Pulitzer, World Press, BOP and POYi. ZUMA features a diverse library of over 5 million original pictures online, with upwards of 5,000 new images posted daily. "

Type: Rights Managed

Subjects: Editorial (Entertainment, Sports, News, Celebrity)

Beginning Pay Terms: 50% Photographer | 50% Agency

Contributing: http://zumapress.com/aboutzuma/photogs.html

=========================
Alamy - http://www.alamy.com/
"Alamy - The web’s largest stock photo site. A pioneer in stock photography

Launched in 1999, Alamy revolutionised stock photography by creating the world’s first open, unedited collection of images. Our pictures come from anyone who wants to sell – a diverse mix of professional photographers, enthusiastic amateurs, stock agencies, news archives, museums and national collections.

We’ve become the largest and most comprehensive online photo resource, offering unrivalled choice to picture buyers around the world. Our customers are as diverse as our contributors, ranging from press and publishing groups, advertising and design agencies and corporate marketing departments to bloggers, internal communication departments and individual buyers.

We focus on making sure customers are able to find the right image quickly and easily, constantly improving our search technology and developing new tools to make our site lightning quick and simple to use.

Our entrepreneurial flair is combined with a fair and philanthropic approach to business. We pay our contributors more than we pay ourselves. We also give back the vast proportion of our profits - 89% since 2006 - to medical research."

Contributing: http://alamy.com/contributor/help/sell-images.asp

Feb 27 11 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

If you have suggestions on how to improve that list (what details should be included) state them.

If you have agencies that should be up there, follow the format and make a post.

Feel free to post who represents your work and any opinions you have on them or past agencies you worked with.

Feel free to post advice.

I searched for other threads but, they are all from 2009 it seemed and the worthwhile information is scattered and hard to find.

Feb 27 11 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

R3dko

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alamy - http://www.alamy.com/
"Alamy - The web’s largest stock photo site. A pioneer in stock photography

Launched in 1999, Alamy revolutionised stock photography by creating the world’s first open, unedited collection of images. Our pictures come from anyone who wants to sell – a diverse mix of professional photographers, enthusiastic amateurs, stock agencies, news archives, museums and national collections.

We’ve become the largest and most comprehensive online photo resource, offering unrivalled choice to picture buyers around the world. Our customers are as diverse as our contributors, ranging from press and publishing groups, advertising and design agencies and corporate marketing departments to bloggers, internal communication departments and individual buyers.

We focus on making sure customers are able to find the right image quickly and easily, constantly improving our search technology and developing new tools to make our site lightning quick and simple to use.

Our entrepreneurial flair is combined with a fair and philanthropic approach to business. We pay our contributors more than we pay ourselves. We also give back the vast proportion of our profits - 89% since 2006 - to medical research."

Contributing: http://alamy.com/contributor/help/sell-images.asp

Feb 28 11 09:12 am Link

Photographer

R3dko

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I shoot for Alamy, but am looking at expanding on to Getty and Corbis. With stock photography, you have a little more leeway in terms of selling images through various sites.

Overall, I recommend stock to anyone that is interested in building residual income from their collection. You don't necessarily have to focus on stock photography, but a couple of hours a week can build up to a decent income in a year or two. Don't expect instant results with stock.

Microstock will get you more and quicker sales, but at a Much lower price point. Personally, I value my current collection a bit higher than the $0.20 that you can expect in Micro. I am, however, thinking about shooting specifically for Micro later in the year. Look through the 'best sellers' in Micro and 'Macro' -- they are typically very different. Many photographers can use their shoots to get images for both. As with any type of photography, a little planning can go a long way.

Feb 28 11 09:23 am Link

Retoucher

ZARIHS RETOUCHER

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

stock photography is unfair business for photographers !

Feb 28 11 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Simon Perkin

Leek, England, United Kingdom

Your Alamy link is actually the Getty link!
Need to change it.

Feb 28 11 09:51 am Link

Photographer

R3dko

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Lol, thanks. Copied the format, and missed changing the link.

Feb 28 11 10:42 am Link

Photographer

R3dko

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ZARIHS RETOUCHER wrote:

Is that why you're a retoucher? ;-)

Feb 28 11 10:45 am Link

Photographer

kralstudios

Sacramento, California, US

ZARIHS RETOUCHER wrote:

Completely inaccurate statement..

Feb 28 11 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Pearlman

ZARIHS RETOUCHER wrote:

Correction: Royalty Free & Microstock are unfair to photographers, Rights Managed is terrific. (I make 2/3 if my income from RM, thank you). A lot of successful photographers shoot nothing but stock, but it usually isn't glamour girls in minimal clothing with pop-up flash.

Feb 28 11 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

ZARIHS RETOUCHER wrote:

When you say "FOR" instead of "TO" I read it as you are jealous photographers get to continuously resell their images and earn money from them for the duration of their life without needing to do anything more than make the images available through a service.

And, when I read it like that I smile but, I think we earn it.

If you meant to say stock agencies are unfair I think you are ill informed and only have dealt with or learned about terrible royalty free microstock sites.

I have contributed to Getty and Zuma Press and with both I felt very fairly compensated at a nice 50/50 split on earnings from licensing.

Mar 01 11 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

I started this thread with a personal goal in mind in addition to helping give everyone a nice resource to turn to.

I haven't been represented by a stock agency in quite some time. I am shooting a lot of musicians/concerts and NHL players/games.  I am trying to find a new stock agency to contribute to.

I only really knew about the four I posted. I was hoping someone else would post a new one I don't know about. I've been out of the game for about 9 years now.  With a short six month relationship with Zuma Press two years ago.  But, I didn't like how they handled my exclusive celebrity related content and were completely closed off to the idea of me submitting anything but concerts.

I don't have any contacts at Getty any longer since it has been nine years since I did anything with them.

Anyone else have suggestions or working with an agency not listed that you feel does a good job getting your images out there?

Mar 01 11 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Digital Vinyl

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Justin Kral wrote:

Completely inaccurate statement..

how is it inaccurate?

Last year there was a Time Magazine cover purchased through microstock for 30 bucks there about. 30 bucks for a cover of one of the MAJOR international magazine!

Who the hell in their right mind would get out of bed for such a stupid amount?

People are saying the economy is shit for photographers. I wonder why. When photographers themselves no longer value their work for what it's worth.

Mar 01 11 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Allan Duncan  wrote:

how is it inaccurate?

Last year there was a Time Magazine cover purchased through microstock for 30 bucks there about. 30 bucks for a cover of one of the MAJOR international magazine!

People are saying the economy is shit for photographers. I wonder why. When photographers themselves no longer value their work for what it's worth.

I think you said it yourself...it's the photographers that don't value their work. Not the microsite.  Why are you blaming ONLY that company when they clearly say they are a royalty free service and it only takes five minutes of research to understand that anyone can use the image they pay $30 for in any way they wish.

I would never personally bother with putting my images in a royalty free database.  But, I could understand their purpose for random junk images meant for graphic designer/layout designers to use as mock up purposes mainly.

Mar 01 11 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Gary Livingston wrote:
I think you said it yourself...it's the photographers that don't value their work. Not the microsite.  Why are you blaming ONLY that company when they clearly say they are a royalty free service and it only takes five minutes of research to understand that anyone can use the image they pay $30 for in any way they wish.

I would never personally bother with putting my images in a royalty free database.  But, I could understand their purpose for random junk images meant for graphic designer/layout designers to use as mock up purposes mainly.

People here and often elsewhere conveniently forget about exclusivity.  Time magazine chose to use a low-cost image for their cover despite the fact that all of their competitors (or imitators) could use the same image at the same time.  Time is apparently fine with a non-exclusive image on their cover, a sign that they no longer see themselves as unique or exclusive.  Although, I would imagine that the editors would think twice about buying a cover from microstock again given the attention it received.

Many other clients are similarly satisfied with sharing their identity in exchange for lower costs.  I just had a stock shot purchased (at a shockingly low price) for a national ad.  It would be disingenuous to cry about the loss of a national advertising fee when the brand/agency itself is satisfied with non-exclusive images/usage.  If that is their position, it is unlikely that they would have hired a crew to create that image.

With that said, stock (both traditional and micro) has contributed to the threat on photographer's fees and prospects.  Your lofted Getty has been one threats.

Mar 01 11 07:18 am Link

Retoucher

Retouch Artistry

Lansing, Michigan, US

Andy Pearlman wrote:
Correction: Royalty Free & Microstock are unfair to photographers, Rights Managed is terrific. (I make 2/3 if my income from RM, thank you). A lot of successful photographers shoot nothing but stock, but it usually isn't glamour girls in minimal clothing with pop-up flash.

This ^^

Rights Managed Stock Photography is one of the areas I'm looking at getting into as a commercial photographer who shoots a lot of food and product images. I'm still researching which agencies are best for what I shoot, but from what I've seen, RM imagery is a great avenue to pursue.

Mar 01 11 08:14 am Link

Photographer

kralstudios

Allan Duncan  wrote:

how is it inaccurate?

Ok..  So that person made $30 on that one download from Time Magazine but the image has been on that agency available for download over and over and over even to this day, while the photographer has put no more effort into that image, and that is only one image in their portfolio..

Mar 01 11 10:59 am Link

Photographer

kralstudios

Gary Livingston wrote:

There is a ton of money in royalty free as well..  Your royalties are less than RM but you will have far more sales.. 

The biggest misunderstanding about microstock is that you have to have a niche to be successful..  You cannot just upload any photos that you want that pass inspection and expect them to sell..  Your style has to be something buyers want to buy.

Mar 01 11 11:02 am Link

Photographer

R3dko

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alamy seems to pay the highest commission for sales. The upload process takes some getting used to. Some cameras will require upsizing the image to a min. 24mb (uncompressed). Better than the 48mb from past years, though!

Getty's application process and other requirements are just a bit much for me at this point. I may try them later in the year, but for now am focusing on building a strong library with Alamy.

Mar 01 11 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

1 - What makes this the "official" stock forum thread?

I see the same old well worn arguments are being rolled out against the modern ways.

Moan all you like against micro stock, it ain't going away, not now, not soon, not never. Your not forced to get up to date and do stuff the 21st century way.  Every time this come up you get some one who gets their microscope out and looks at tiny individual image sales, and says their work is worth more, and so it is, but muliply your crumb sales by 100 or 1000 and you are into what micro stock is really about. 

The old days of snooby stock have gone, move with the times. Why do you think the tradditional boys have been buying up microstock companies and why have Alamy introduced a band of price which is almost the same as microstock?

Mar 01 11 01:43 pm Link

Retoucher

ZARIHS RETOUCHER

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

R3dko wrote:

Is that why you're a retoucher? ;-)

photographer then retoucher !

Mar 01 11 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

ZARIHS RETOUCHER wrote:

No, it's not.  There is nothing FAIR about charging a high price for something commonly available.  I've been paid to take pictures of things for over thirty years.  A small portion of what I used to do has given way to stock, but that's not "unfair".  It's just the loss of a little bit of bonus income. 

Just for your consideration:

If ten thousand images exist of a flower covered with dew drops, how much can it be worth? 

If there is only one image of a 747 exploding in the middle of a double rainbow, how could it be available for pennies?

I believe that about 99.9% of all images sell for exactly what they are worth.

Mar 01 11 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Dan Howell wrote:

People here and often elsewhere conveniently forget about exclusivity.  Time magazine chose to use a low-cost image for their cover despite the fact that all of their competitors (or imitators) could use the same image at the same time.  Time is apparently fine with a non-exclusive image on their cover, a sign that they no longer see themselves as unique or exclusive.  Although, I would imagine that the editors would think twice about buying a cover from microstock again given the attention it received.

Many other clients are similarly satisfied with sharing their identity in exchange for lower costs.  I just had a stock shot purchased (at a shockingly low price) for a national ad.  It would be disingenuous to cry about the loss of a national advertising fee when the brand/agency itself is satisfied with non-exclusive images/usage.  If that is their position, it is unlikely that they would have hired a crew to create that image.

With that said, stock (both traditional and micro) has contributed to the threat on photographer's fees and prospects.  Your lofted Getty has been one threats.

I shoot a lot of editorial and sports images where stock is fantastic source of revenue.  My main client sends me on assignment.  They use the images for their article.  Then, a magazine across the world is doing a story on event and they license that same image and i make bonus cash on a job I was already paid for to produce and used in its primary purpose. 

I will bring up my photo teacher again, he shoots stuff with celebrities for magazines and local papers. Editorial rates for shooting the assignments are chump change compared to the earnings that roll in from the royalties paid by publications across the world to use them.  If he didn't put those images in a stock bank and he was just sitting on them he would be missing out on about $50,000 a month.  In cases like this stock is a very beneficial service working with photographers.   

I think anyone that is complaining about stock photography being a threat to their business they are someone that needs to rework their marketing strategy and salesmanship.  You even make points in your post about what a photographer needs to focus on when pitching their service and rates to a client that brings up using stock.  Exclusivity being the big one.

And, like you said if the client is cheap enough about their branding to not care then they probably wouldn't pay much for sending a photographer on assignment.  Who's job is being lost due to them going with stock instead?  The college student scouring craigslist gigs that s/he will do for free just to put something in their portfolio? 

I think the real threat is lack of creativity.  By the clients and the photographers.

Mar 01 11 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Official because the other threads were all from 2009 ...from what I could tell. The search system on this site is complete shit and hard to use.

Official because now there is a thread that is at least trying to sift the worthwhile stuff and put it at the top for easy access instead of sifting through hundreds of posts about nonsense.

I made it because researching the other threads was annoying and next time someone like me goes looking they can get the info they want quickly.

How about you contribute something to put up top instead of asking silly questions and jumping right into the arguing part of the thread? wink

TA Craft Photography wrote:
1 - What makes this the "official" stock forum thread?

I see the same old well worn arguments are being rolled out against the modern ways.

Moan all you like against micro stock, it ain't going away, not now, not soon, not never. Your not forced to get up to date and do stuff the 21st century way.  Every time this come up you get some one who gets their microscope out and looks at tiny individual image sales, and says their work is worth more, and so it is, but muliply your crumb sales by 100 or 1000 and you are into what micro stock is really about. 

The old days of snooby stock have gone, move with the times. Why do you think the tradditional boys have been buying up microstock companies and why have Alamy introduced a band of price which is almost the same as microstock?

Mar 01 11 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

still-photography wrote:

No, it's not.  There is nothing FAIR about charging a high price for something commonly available.  I've been paid to take pictures of things for over thirty years.  A small portion of what I used to do has given way to stock, but that's not "unfair".  It's just the loss of a little bit of bonus income. 

Just for your consideration:

If ten thousand images exist of a flower covered with dew drops, how much can it be worth? 

If there is only one image of a 747 exploding in the middle of a double rainbow, how could it be available for pennies?

I believe that about 99.9% of all images sell for exactly what they are worth.

Mar 01 11 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

R3dko

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Stock opens up a market that would otherwise be closed to me. As a new photographer, I do not have enough of a reputation to be in demand by anyone, and I live in an area that doesn't have much need for commercial photography. I can practice a trade without having to meet my clients face-to-face. I don't see how stock hurts photographers such as myself. If a professional in a busier part of the world loses business because of stock or microstock, then they may need to revisit their marketing plan and change the way that they are doing business.

Mar 01 11 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jonathan Hale

New York, New York, US

Gary your thread got me thinking about submitting to stock agencies.
I had thought about it along time ago, before the microstock sites existed.
I did some looking around and found this list (from 2008) with more stock agencies  http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2008/02/27/ … -agencies/

Anyway, how to choose which stock sites to use from all those? and I know there are more of them. Would you apply to the biggest first, like Getty? I'm still getting a handle on the best approach.

Mar 02 11 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

For you photographers that are with more than one stock site, which company's model release do you have people sign?  Do you have your own version that all companies accept or do you have your models sign multiple releases?

Best,

Gregory

Apr 09 11 09:21 am Link

Photographer

glamourglenn

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

if you want to really find out how great the stock business is for photographers these days, you should join the SAA, the Stock Artists Alliance.

Oop's, you can't join the SAA because they folded their operation this year.

So, as a matter of practicality, when the business trade group that represents the members goes belly-up, that is a pretty good barometer of the vitality of the business model.

As someone else once said about the stock business, it's a race to the bottom.

Apr 09 11 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Allan Duncan  wrote:
how is it inaccurate?

And Warren Buffet sometimes buys a $1 fast food hamburger even though he can afford and sometimes buys a steak dinner for hundreds. So what? Sometimes people don't require or desire an upper end product.  People demand both upper end and lower end products and suppliers produce both at a profit. 

I know one Art Director who can afford to pay more than his average budget for a pro photographer when he needs it because he balances it with a microstock image when that fits his needs.

Apr 09 11 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Allan Duncan  wrote:

Yuri Arcurs for one. He said he averages $10/image but has seen an annual income of over one million US$.  Granted not many come close to that, but it shows "stupid" amounts can add up.  Lisa Gagne makes six figures as an exclusive Istock contributor.

Apr 09 11 10:03 am Link

Retoucher

Retouch Artistry

Lansing, Michigan, US

Gregory Storm wrote:
For you photographers that are with more than one stock site, which company's model release do you have people sign?  Do you have your own version that all companies accept or do you have your models sign multiple releases?

Best,

Gregory

Just to answer this before heading back out the door, but the agency I've been speaking with has its own specific model and properly releases that I will need to have signed whenever appropriate. A release is even required if a shot shows nothing more than a hand. Back when I modeled for stock, I always signed releases specific to the agency with which the images were going to be assigned. I imagine most larger stock agencies have their own specific releases that have been written/approved by their respective legal departments, just to ensure their i's are dotted and t's are crossed. Even if some of the agencies will accept a standard form from another standard source, I doubt many would accept just any release a photographer provides. It likely has to be approved first.

I intend to have both my own release and a stock agency specific form on hand for the models to sign, just to make sure all uses are covered.

Apr 09 11 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Diana Price Photography

Columbia City, Indiana, US

Thread suggestion: Including info about their current pay terms. I know some have been getting pretty bad, and am actually trying to find a thread covering pay terms

Apr 17 11 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Planet Design

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

Gary Livingston wrote:
If you have agencies that should be up there, follow the format and make a post.

Here you go:
http://www.google.com/search?q=stock+photo+agency

Apr 17 11 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Digital Planet Design wrote:

Here you go:
http://www.google.com/search?q=stock+photo+agency

Feel better now?

If you don't have anything to contribute then don't but why the need to piss on someone else's parade.

SMDH

Apr 17 11 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Planet Design

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

Christine Rose wrote:

Feel better now?

If you don't have anything to contribute then don't but why the need to piss on someone else's parade.

SMDH

Feel fine, thanks.

The OP asked for stock agencies to add to his thread.  Since he only managed to come up with four, I thought he might like to do a bit more research.

Apr 18 11 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:

Yuri Arcurs for one. He said he averages $10/image but has seen an annual income of over one million US$.  Granted not many come close to that, but it shows "stupid" amounts can add up.  Lisa Gagne makes six figures as an exclusive Istock contributor.

A photographer I know shoots exclusively for IStock. She averages $2,500 per month. She has about 2700 images uploaded. She pays me to prep her photos to IStock standards. Most of her sales are medical and travel images.

Apr 18 11 06:06 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

A photographer I know shoots exclusively for IStock. She averages $2,500 per month. She has about 2700 images uploaded. She pays me to prep her photos to IStock standards. Most of her sales are medical and travel images.

I know many have said it pays to focus on a niche or two. Glad your friend is donig so well.

Apr 18 11 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Gary Livingston

Diana Price-Retro Photo wrote:
Thread suggestion: Including info about their current pay terms. I know some have been getting pretty bad, and am actually trying to find a thread covering pay terms

If anyone knows the opening terms let me know and i'll post them up top.

Apr 18 11 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Gary Livingston wrote:

LAST TIME [NO PUN] I LOOKED
TIME WAS 60? PAGES...of junk
its dying fast

Apr 18 11 06:16 pm Link