Forums > Model Colloquy > Why you aren't where you want to be in modeling

Photographer

OpenMind Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

I hear all the time, from models, that they want to be in this magazine or that magazine. Or that they want to be taken seriously or that they don't understand why no one is willing to pay them for their modeling skills. Well, models (and you seasoned models who have had success, let me know if I'm wrong) if you want to increase your chances of being succesfull in whatever modeling you want to do, here is a list of things that I have noticed about successfull, full-time models, who get paid.

1. This first one you have no control over.
Have either a unique look or be so attractive (made up) that you are impossible to ignore.

2. Eat properly- If you don't eat properly it showss in every facet of your look. From hair to nails to skin to complexion. your diet is the first big step especially if you aren't blessed with the genes that can compensate for a poor diet.

3. Exercise- No, I don't mean exercise to be a skinny minny . Exercise because, like your diet, it will manifest itself in every part of your physical being. Even your attitude will improve with exercise.

4. Learn natural poses that work for your body type. If you don't know what I mean then your not there.

5. Facial expressions- Ok, here's one that can make even the homeliest model have great images.  A pretty model is one thing, but a model that can sell a shot, I'll take her everyday of the week twice on Sunday over a pretty, same smile, shot after shot model.  You must not be so self conscience that you're afraid to make the goofiest, sexiest, most animated expressions you can muster. It may start off feeling silly, but once you see the difference it makes in your images, you'll never go back to just smiling in every photo.

6. Lose your inhibition. - Look, every model doesn't have to be naked or be scantily clothed to be successfull, but you need to have the attitude that you couldn't give a rip if you were butt naked in the middle of your local freeway.  Not that you would every do it or should, but that kind of attitude needs to come through in your images.  Sexy sells. Point blank.

7. Remain humble- I don't care how many magazines, calendars, tv shows or movies you've claimed to be in, if you have a stanky attitude, you aren't getting as much as you could no matter how much you're getting already. Stay confident, but remain humble. It goes a loooooong way.

8. Be realistic- I'm not one to kill peoples dreams, but if your 5'2" stop trying to be a runway model. If your 5'2" and 300lbs, please scratch Playboy off your to do list. Listen, this industry is about the look and you need to be honset with yourself on what you can really do with your look. Not trying to kill dreams here, but evaluate where you can really fit in

9.  And last but not least. Love it!! If this is not something you think about everyday, then you limit how far you really can go. If you really, really want to be a model, modeling should be on your mind ALL THE TIME!!!

You gorgeous successful models and super talented photographers weigh-in a let me know if I'm off base with my observations.

Mar 19 11 07:25 am Link

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm not a more successful model because I suck at networking.

Mar 19 11 07:50 am Link

Model

l y n n e

Los Angeles, California, US

immateria wrote:

+1!!

and i'm really hesitant about travelling. sad

Mar 19 11 07:59 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I did about 1000X more with it than I ever thought I would when I started out in 2005, then peaked a couple years ago, and have just been sort of waiting around, for something to change or me to finally give up and retire, since early 2010. *shrug*

Mar 19 11 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

l y n n e wrote:

I think this is what stops most models from being more successful. Unless you live in a huge market like New York or LA, I don't see how a freelance model could possibly find enough paying jobs to do it full time without traveling.

Mar 19 11 08:09 am Link

Model

Koryn

GoldRoseMedia wrote:

I think this is what stops most models from being more successful. Unless you live in a huge market like New York or LA, I don't see how a freelance model could possibly find enough paying jobs to do it full time without traveling.

You can do pretty well in a diverse local market, for a year or so, and then people get tired of you.

Mar 19 11 08:16 am Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

"Sexy sells.  Point blank."

Would change this to confidence sells.  Unless you're a glamour model, there are just far more jobs out there where even the possibility that you might even accidentally come across as "sexy" will knock you out of the running.  This only applies in the real world, though.  Sexy does sell on MM.

I also think this list is far too optimistic.  You're basically saying: "If you just keep yourself fit and healthy and have a good attitude and work hard, you will be more successful.". Well, maybe.  It's definitely what people would like to hear, but honestly, any kind of success in the entertainment industry is about 80% good luck: right place, right time, right parents, right people who can move your career forward.

A tip I can pass on: if you are being considered, but not booking, see if your Booker can get feed-back after a gosee, or do a practice gosee and get feed-back from that.  I used to go in and try to speak very professionally and business-like, and it turned out I was coming off as very cold.  I had no idea.

Mar 19 11 08:31 am Link

Photographer

OpenMind Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

VikyL wrote:
"Sexy sells.  Point blank."

Would change this to confidence sells.  Unless you're a glamour model, there are just far more jobs out there where even the possibility that you might even accidentally come across as "sexy" will knock you out of the running.  This only applies in the real world, though.  Sexy does sell on MM.

I also think this list is far too optimistic.  You're basically saying: "If you just keep yourself fit and healthy and have a good attitude and work hard, you will be more successful.". Well, maybe.  It's definitely what people would like to hear, but honestly, any kind of success in the entertainment industry is about 80% good luck: right place, right time, right parents, right people who can move your career forward.

A tip I can pass on: if you are being considered, but not booking, see if your Booker can get feed-back after a gosee, or do a practice gosee and get feed-back from that.  I used to go in and try to speak very professionally and business-like, and it turned out I was coming off as very cold.  I had no idea.

Point will taken. What I outlined was what I noticed seemed to be common among the more successful models. Being at the right place at the right time with the right look (or whatever you need to be right) will take you a lot further.  It just amazes me that a lot models won't eat right, won't exercise, won 't take care of there bodies and skin, won't learn simple poses and feel silly making facial expressions and then can't understand why nobody  is knocking down their door to work with them.

Mar 19 11 08:52 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

a lot of the things you say are true.

I would like to add though that luck has a lot to do with it too. We would never have heard of Kate Moss if she hadn't wandered around an airport and was hyped by the right people in the industry.

also, networking, listening to the right people, knowing when to keep your mouth shut and making sure you are in the right location doesn't hurt either

Mar 19 11 09:25 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Marianne Michaela wrote:
also, networking, listening to the right people,

I'd add this to the top of the list. Models who are superior at networking will do MUCH better in this industry. If you're a "Type A" personality and you create your own opportunities...YOU control your income. Most people outside of this industry have no idea how much hard work and dedication it takes to succeed. When there are thousands of others who could replace you in a blink of an eye, you always have to bring your A-Game!

Mar 19 11 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

l y n n e wrote:

GoldRoseMedia wrote:

ShivaKitty wrote:
You can do pretty well in a diverse local market, for a year or so, and then people get tired of you.

No matter how big the local market is, there are only so many photographers willing to pay you and some are not likely to pay you multiple times. You will saturate your local market. Every full time nude model I know travels to make money.

Mar 19 11 11:13 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't travel due to a full time dayjob. Ah well, what can you do.

Mar 19 11 11:17 am Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
No matter how big the local market is, there are only so many photographers willing to pay you and some are not likely to pay you multiple times. You will saturate your local market. Every full time nude model I know travels to make money.

I disagree, as far as LA goes. I've never been a traveling model unless the photographer was flying me out, putting me up, feeding me, and paying my rate (maybe happened 8 or 9 times so far). 
But LA isn't just LA... it's LA, Hollywood, the valley, Orange County, San Diego, the beach cities... etc etc. I don't think you could ever run out of photographers and projects, as long as you at least model nude.

Mar 19 11 11:51 am Link

Model

Malin_

New York, New York, US

Model Starr Photography wrote:
I hear all the time, from models, that they want to be in this magazine or that magazine. Or that they want to be taken seriously or that they don't understand why no one is willing to pay them for their modeling skills. Well, models (and you seasoned models who have had success, let me know if I'm wrong) if you want to increase your chances of being succesfull in whatever modeling you want to do, here is a list of things that I have noticed about successfull, full-time models, who get paid.

1. This first one you have no control over.
Have either a unique look or be so attractive (made up) that you are impossible to ignore.

2. Eat properly- If you don't eat properly it showss in every facet of your look. From hair to nails to skin to complexion. your diet is the first big step especially if you aren't blessed with the genes that can compensate for a poor diet.

3. Exercise- No, I don't mean exercise to be a skinny minny . Exercise because, like your diet, it will manifest itself in every part of your physical being. Even your attitude will improve with exercise.

4. Learn natural poses that work for your body type. If you don't know what I mean then your not there.

5. Facial expressions- Ok, here's one that can make even the homeliest model have great images.  A pretty model is one thing, but a model that can sell a shot, I'll take her everyday of the week twice on Sunday over a pretty, same smile, shot after shot model.  You must not be so self conscience that you're afraid to make the goofiest, sexiest, most animated expressions you can muster. It may start off feeling silly, but once you see the difference it makes in your images, you'll never go back to just smiling in every photo.

6. Lose your inhibition. - Look, every model doesn't have to be naked or be scantily clothed to be successfull, but you need to have the attitude that you couldn't give a rip if you were butt naked in the middle of your local freeway.  Not that you would every do it or should, but that kind of attitude needs to come through in your images.  Sexy sells. Point blank.

7. Remain humble- I don't care how many magazines, calendars, tv shows or movies you've claimed to be in, if you have a stanky attitude, you aren't getting as much as you could no matter how much you're getting already. Stay confident, but remain humble. It goes a loooooong way.

8. Be realistic- I'm not one to kill peoples dreams, but if your 5'2" stop trying to be a runway model. If your 5'2" and 300lbs, please scratch Playboy off your to do list. Listen, this industry is about the look and you need to be honset with yourself on what you can really do with your look. Not trying to kill dreams here, but evaluate where you can really fit in

9.  And last but not least. Love it!! If this is not something you think about everyday, then you limit how far you really can go. If you really, really want to be a model, modeling should be on your mind ALL THE TIME!!!

You gorgeous successful models and super talented photographers weigh-in a let me know if I'm off base with my observations.

I agree with everything except #9. Wannabes who are obsessed with the notion of becoming a model usually don't make it very far. The less emotional you are about it, the better. Work hard and be professional, but think of it as a job, not as the sole purpose of your life.

Mar 19 11 11:52 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

10. Getting out of bed to make it to a shoot.

Mar 19 11 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Was it Woody Allen who said, "80% of success is showing up"?

Mar 19 11 11:58 am Link

Model

V I C T O R I A

immateria wrote:

This has OH SO MUCH to do with it.

More than any of the things that you listed. Networking is paramount in this industry. And good timing/luck. Which unfortunately you have no control over. I know lots of people who happened to attach themselves to the right people at the right time which lead to awesome opportunities.

You just have to hope that if you put yourself out there enough, you will stumble upon your own amazing opportunities. For some people this happens super quickly. For some people it takes years. Everyone's journey is different.

Mar 19 11 12:01 pm Link

Model

V I C T O R I A

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:

I'd add this to the top of the list. Models who are superior at networking will do MUCH better in this industry. If you're a "Type A" personality and you create your own opportunities...YOU control your income. Most people outside of this industry have no idea how much hard work and dedication it takes to succeed. When there are thousands of others who could replace you in a blink of an eye, you always have to bring your A-Game!

Amen to this. We spend the vast majority of our time drumming up work, and a very small portion of our time actually working. Obviously that varies from week to week, month to month, and even year to year. But yes... expect to spend TONS of time applying to castings, attending events, reaching out to photographers, establishing an online presence, etc.

Mar 19 11 12:04 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

San Bernardino, California, US

someone told me the other day i'm not a go-getter.. I was crushed. I totally think I am.. I promised myself that things would change this year.

Mar 19 11 12:11 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

Sabrina Maree wrote:
I disagree, as far as LA goes. I've never been a traveling model unless the photographer was flying me out, putting me up, feeding me, and paying my rate (maybe happened 8 or 9 times so far). 
But LA isn't just LA... it's LA, Hollywood, the valley, Orange County, San Diego, the beach cities... etc etc. I don't think you could ever run out of photographers and projects, as long as you at least model nude.

yep! It's true. New photogs. come out of the blue everyday! It's a huge local market here. I've been doing good staying local or travelling at the most 100 miles. I can't travel much other than that cause I'm a full time student Mon-Thurs. Also, I eat whatever I want.. Am I pig? I don't know.. I'm a curvier model, but I've been getting so much more work than when I was 108 pounds let me tell you. I know what poses work, and what doesn't. what flatters my body and what doesn't. I know models that are 100 pounds and eat cheeseburgers everyday. diet smiet.

Mar 19 11 12:12 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Alisyn Carliene wrote:
someone told me the other day i'm not a go-getter.. I was crushed. I totally think I am.. I promised myself that things would change this year.

I'm not really what you would call a go-getter either.

I'm a very laid-back personality type. Nothing irritates me; I almost never feel hurried or stressed. It's just how I am, but it's definitely a detriment to anything I ever try to be successful with.

Mar 19 11 12:15 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

I think one of the biggest is things is not being scared of or deterred by rejection.

Going into modeling full force and being confident is easy.

Keeping it up when you go into casting day after day and get many rejections is harder.

Mar 19 11 12:17 pm Link

Model

Alisyn Carliene

ShivaKitty wrote:

I'm not really what you would call a go-getter either.

I'm a very laid-back personality type. Nothing irritates me; I almost never feel hurried or stressed. It's just how I am, but it's definitely a detriment to anything I ever try to be successful with.

Same here, but I think of myself as a go-getter still... but I don't know I guess I'm not pushy enough to get what I want. I would rather work my way up slowly, than be pushy and not be myself.

Mar 19 11 12:19 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

Same here, but I think of myself as a go-getter still... but I don't know I guess I'm not pushy enough to get what I want. I would rather work my way up slowly, than be pushy and not be myself.

I'm not a pushy or aggressive person either, but I tend to be able to get every single person to like me and have respect for me. I have GREAT people skills, but I wouldn't say I'm a productive type, or able to get what I want/need generally.

Mar 19 11 12:22 pm Link

Model

V I C T O R I A

K I C K H A M wrote:
I think one of the biggest is things is not being scared of or deterred by rejection.

Keeping it up when you go into casting day after day and get many rejections is harder.

YES! You hear again and again not to take things personally, but it gets hard sometimes. lol

Mar 19 11 12:31 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

K I C K H A M wrote:

ow yes, tough skin, very important... I'm still very afraid to be rejected, and I know ti's holding me back!

Mar 19 11 12:32 pm Link

Model

GQ The Couture Model

Seattle, Washington, US

Even if you don't get the job try to learn something from it.

Mar 19 11 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Allure Vision

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Can we add an 11. ? Get out there and work! Your pay off is not in the first few photo shoots you do. You need many many shoots with good to great photographers. Even if you have to pay, it'll pay off. You need to establish a name for yourself. Get a web site, get a real portfolio. If you really want to succeed and be paid for it you must show that you are more serious than the next pretty face that wants to model.

Mar 19 11 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

OpenMind Photography

Madison, Alabama, US

c_h_r_i_s wrote:

AMEN!!!  LOL!

Mar 19 11 03:11 pm Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Everything looks good.  Except, I don't have modeling or acting on my mind *all the time*.... Most of the time? yes. lol.

But in my free time (when I'm not networking)... I like to hang out with my cat and boyfriend and act like a total goof ball big_smile

I liked Kelli Kickham's advice too.  You must be able to face rejection and even harsh critisms.

Like the other day, a would-be client told me that one of my implied nudes was "horrible and should be taken out of the portfolio immediately."

....I just let it roll off my back like water.  See, he may think that photo was repulsive... but another client may book me off of it. So remaining objective is essential.

All I have to add is this very important information:

Making sure you thank everyone you work with.  Show your gratitude.  Even if someone has treated you like shit, stand your ground and stay cordial.  Never argue or treat anyone in ways you would not want to be treated.

EDIT:  Also.... here is something my agency has started doing.  Many models (yes, even ones represented by agency) will miss castings.. be late to bookings... and be all around lazy and careless.

These models are given the 3 strikes... and then put on a messy model list.  And these models will not be sent out until there has been a face to face meeting to address the issues.

Thankfully i have never had a reason to be on this list. 

So... ALWAYS make the bookers and the clients aware when you are running late or need to take a sick day.

Modeling IS a job.  Even if it's a very fun one... it's still a profession that should be taken with an abundance of seriousness and respect.

Mar 19 11 03:55 pm Link

Model

Kasumi_Noir

Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom

K I C K H A M wrote:

Yup, this is a big issue, and I'll admit it hinders me when it comes to travelling about.
I think (only my opinion) that the fear of rejection tends to go up when you come to the decision that you need to travel further afield in order to progress, especially if you know that it has to be financially beneficial otherwise travelling just isn't viable. Make or break really.

It's just a case of going for it full force & even if it doesn't go as well as hoped, at least you'll have learned some valuable lessons from your experience.

xX.maz.Xx

Mar 19 11 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

The Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

Mar 19 11 04:07 pm Link

Model

-Amanda Kay-

Seattle, Washington, US

Want to start traveling. It's not that easy though. I think my boyfriend holds me back a lot so it's all 10x more difficult. I love this though, I'm not going to give up!

Mar 19 11 09:45 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

VictoriaVertuga wrote:

This has OH SO MUCH to do with it.

More than any of the things that you listed. Networking is paramount in this industry. And good timing/luck. Which unfortunately you have no control over. I know lots of people who happened to attach themselves to the right people at the right time which lead to awesome opportunities.

You just have to hope that if you put yourself out there enough, you will stumble upon your own amazing opportunities. For some people this happens super quickly. For some people it takes years. Everyone's journey is different.

Definitely my biggest hurtle. I am really socially awkward and only leave my house to work or go grocery shopping.

Mar 19 11 10:25 pm Link

Model

AllisonL024

Yeah I think I'd also add market and attitude. I've seen many gorgeous girls with the right stats and look that book a ton of work, but then no one works with them again because their difficult to work with.

Mar 19 11 11:51 pm Link

Model

MadameKitty

Palmer - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by Argentina/Chile/UK, Antarctica

I really, really suck at networking.

It doesn't matter HOW great of a model you are, if you can't sell yourself.

Mar 20 11 12:24 am Link

Model

Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia

I'm not where I wanna be because I'm not 18 yet

Mar 20 11 03:12 am Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I'm not where I wanna be because I'm a college student with a dayjob (not implying that it's a bad thing)

Mar 20 11 05:26 am Link

Photographer

The Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

Mar 20 11 05:26 am Link

Model

M E L U X I N E

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Probably because I'm limited by studying full time. I often wonder where I would be if I wasn't (although I love what I study too, and believe it's important to have something else under me). I think I would be travelling more often, especially overseas. Australia's pretty narrow in terms of alt, fetish and fine art. I don't think I've done too badly considering these limitations though....

Mar 20 11 06:41 am Link