Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Challenges, Contests, and Samples > Question for retouchers of the forums

Retoucher

SLK Retouching

Brookhaven, Pennsylvania, US

When you edit photos in the forums in the challenges and samples section, do you ask for payment for the high res if the photographer wants them?

I only ask because I THOUGHT it was supposed to be fully TF* based.
When I edit there, I do it because I like the photos and may just want them for port use ...not TRYING to get paid work out of it.

I posted some with my photography account and when I asked for the full-size photo, the editor (who actually just has a photography account) required for me to pay ($20) to get it.
In a different thread with other images, I just got someone saying PM for high res. I'm just guessing they are going to ask for payment as well. But I might be wrong there.

So yes, please tell me if you do this as well. If I'm out of the loop on this...let me know! smile Ha. If it is "appropriate" to do so, I just want an opinion.

I know how pissed I got when that person asked for payment and said it wasn't for their benefit. I just always assumed that the forums were not for that.

Mar 22 11 08:53 am Link

Retoucher

Newfuture Retouch

Dorchester, England, United Kingdom

SLK Retouching wrote:
When you edit photos in the forums in the challenges and samples section, do you ask for payment for the high res if the photographer wants them?

I only ask because I THOUGHT it was supposed to be fully TF* based.
When I edit there, I do it because I like the photos and may just want them for port use ...not TRYING to get paid work out of it.

I posted some with my photography account and when I asked for the full-size photo, the editor (who actually just has a photography account) required for me to pay ($20) to get it.
In a different thread with other images, I just got someone saying PM for high res. I'm just guessing they are going to ask for payment as well. But I might be wrong there.

So yes, please tell me if you do this as well. If I'm out of the loop on this...let me know! smile Ha. If it is "appropriate" to do so, I just want an opinion.

I know how pissed I got when that person asked for payment and said it wasn't for their benefit. I just always assumed that the forums were not for that.

Nope, no payment changes hands as far as I am concerned in the challenges section, it's a simple trade for usage, end of.

Mar 22 11 09:07 am Link

Retoucher

AmiraRetouching

London, England, United Kingdom

you should report them

Mar 22 11 09:36 am Link

Retoucher

SLK Retouching

Newfuture Retouch wrote:
Nope, no payment changes hands as far as I am concerned in the challenges section, it's a simple trade for usage, end of.

Amira Alkaysi wrote:
you should report them

Agreed. I almost did report them...
but then it made me wonder if that's what other people do too.

Thanks! smile

Mar 22 11 09:54 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

This section is for what I call practice. I don't even save the high res sometimes and sometimes I don't use the shots in my retouchers portfolio either. I just practice a new technique etc.  If you want the high res also you should post a TFP casting call. This forum is usually for practice or to give away samples.

also there's is nothing to report the mods won't do anything about it. He did a low res version posted in your thread you wanted more than what he offered you should post a casting call for TFP. This forum was not nesserily made for TFP it was made  for practice etc.

I offered tons of photos here  for others to use I barely never ask for the highres and if it's not available then so be it.

If he wanted money for the large version just decline  and tell him that he is not allowed to use the photo either that's it.

Mar 22 11 01:11 pm Link

Digital Artist

Andreea Cernestean

Baia Mare, Maramureş, Romania

First time I'm hearing of this.
This forum is mainly for practice, at least that's what it is to me. With all the photos I have retouched on here, there was a mutual understanding that both the photographer and me could use the images in our portfolios, but it never was about money.
But sure, this forum serves as a good way to get yourself noticed, some photographers may be looking for retouchers to hire for future works in this forum.

Mar 22 11 05:13 pm Link

Retoucher

SLK Retouching

Andreea Cernestean wrote:
First time I'm hearing of this.
This forum is mainly for practice, at least that's what it is to me. With all the photos I have retouched on here, there was a mutual understanding that both the photographer and me could use the images in our portfolios, but it never was about money.
But sure, this forum serves as a good way to get yourself noticed, some photographers may be looking for retouchers to hire for future works in this forum.

That's 100% what I thought. I was just a little confused.
& I always send high res images to photographers when I edit them if they want them or request them from the start.

Glad to know it's probably not the majority! smile

Mar 22 11 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dornrade Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

SLK Retouching wrote:
Glad to know it's probably not the majority! smile

Sounds like the minority.  I've put a ridiculous amount of work into images i've retouched here and would gladly provide hires to the photographer on request for free. Maybe that's just me smile

Mar 22 11 05:41 pm Link

Retoucher

WeNeals Retouching

Lakewood, Colorado, US

I can't believe it even happened.  I guess the guy that asked for payment didn't read the rules of this section.  You should report them, not just to get them in trouble but to let others know that it isn't right.

Mar 22 11 08:45 pm Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Wenatchee, Washington, US

hmm... That is weird! =P
Now you let me wondering who did that!
But yeah, I think you should report him/her.

Mar 22 11 09:07 pm Link

Retoucher

CM Retouching

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Photographers are kindly providing high quality work for us to pratice and someone try to make a profit of it... What's wrong with him !

Mar 23 11 01:21 am Link

Retoucher

SLK Retouching

Ha yeah.
Okay, I feel better now about getting mad smile

Mar 23 11 03:58 am Link