Forums > Model Colloquy > Modeling Success: RESEARCH

Model

SmilingFox

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

im 5'3 n 100 powns, zomg imma b a fashun modul.

great post.

as much as i think it would be fun to do commercial/high fashion
i know it wont happen, and i probably wont land much paid work, ever.
but id like to work with photographers that want some experience, or anyone that has an idea that will work with my body type.
its good to know where you stand, so you wont get disappointed so much when people tell you "No." -annnnd- so you can concentrate on finding all the jobs you CAN do.

smile

Mar 30 08 09:33 am Link

Model

Skylar Vanel

Bellaire, Texas, US

where's the "like" button?? smile

i'm going to repost this on my casting website (of course i'll give credit where credit is due!) hope you don't mind

Keep 'em coming! Love it!!

Nov 08 11 10:47 am Link

Model

Reed Davidson

Winter Park, Florida, US

Is there a certain body type for maie models? Do I have to have a rippling back and thighs complete with washboard abs? I've got the height and measurements, but I'm not sure if I have the body or the "awesome facial structure" that all the agency models have. sad

Nov 08 11 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Skylar Vanel wrote:
where's the "like" button?? smile

i'm going to repost this on my casting website (of course i'll give credit where credit is due!) hope you don't mind

Keep 'em coming! Love it!!

Hi Skylar;

Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

I am actually updating those articles (honestly... I didn't start yet) and contributing those to the "edu" section of MM. Then you can reference them easily.

All the best

udor

Nov 08 11 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Reed Davidson wrote:
Is there a certain body type for maie models? Do I have to have a rippling back and thighs complete with washboard abs? I've got the height and measurements, but I'm not sure if I have the body or the "awesome facial structure" that all the agency models have. sad

Hi Reed;

Okay, I can see that you want to break in badly.

Your pictures give me some hint of the potential... actually, I think that's two images.

I suggest that you go, without extra pix taken (unless a good photographer - who tests for agencies offers to shoot with you), straight to an open call by agencies around your area... but make some research that those are the real deal, and not merely namesakes of top agencies(!), lot's of scammers around.

If they like you, and not everybody will, but someone may have a client that is looking for YOUR look, and you'll fit the demand... they will hire you and actually doing a minature test shoot (polaroids) right on the spot.

Those people know what they are looking at.

Btw., two more things: delete the photo with your girlfriend... this is not MySpace and don't try to have too much of that "dreamy" look on your face. Makes you look too feminine.

Well... that's it... break a leg.

udor

Nov 08 11 01:06 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

I've posted something similar in response to those "where do I fit in?" type threads...all modeling isn't fashion, and its a waste of energy decrying fashion standards instead of rocking out at the genres you can fit into.

I'm glad this was posted, again. Hopefully, it gets heard smile

Nov 08 11 01:11 pm Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Los Angeles, California, US

Reed Davidson wrote:

I see great potential in you...but Florida will most likely not be your market. Your look (keep the long hair!) screams very European or New York. Go there!

Nov 08 11 01:33 pm Link

Model

Reed Davidson

Winter Park, Florida, US

udor wrote:

Hi Reed;

Okay, I can see that you want to break in badly.

Your pictures give me some hint of the potential... actually, I think that's two images.

I suggest that you go, without extra pix taken (unless a good photographer - who tests for agencies offers to shoot with you), straight to an open call by agencies around your area... but make some research that those are the real deal, and not merely namesakes of top agencies(!), lot's of scammers around.

If they like you, and not everybody will, but someone may have a client that is looking for YOUR look, and you'll fit the demand... they will hire you and actually doing a minature test shoot (polaroids) right on the spot.

Those people know what they are looking at.

Btw., two more things: delete the photo with your girlfriend... this is not MySpace and don't try to have too much of that "dreamy" look on your face. Makes you look too feminine.

Well... that's it... break a leg.

udor

Thanks you very much for your advice! I deleted the two "MySpace photos." smile And I've actually been to an open call last week, but I haven't heard anything from them yet (though it's only been five days). The woman who interviewed me did take some shots with her digital camera, so that makes me hopeful. I've also booked a fashion show for a local clothing store; while it may not be glamorous or paid work, I know that everyone's gotta start somewhere! smile Again, thank you so much for your advice.

Nov 08 11 03:36 pm Link

Model

Reed Davidson

Winter Park, Florida, US

Deadlynightshade wrote:

I see great potential in you...but Florida will most likely not be your market. Your look (keep the long hair!) screams very European or New York. Go there!

Alright, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! big_smile I can see that your signed with Ford Models (congratulations!!) and I wanted to know if any of the guys there look like me. I mean, I know I'm not going to find my long-lost twin there, but in general, do you see a lot of thin, long-haired men with long legs?

And I know what you mean about Orlando not being my market. I'm applying to a bunch of universities in Miami, so I hope to continue my modeling career there. And I would never cut my hair unless my agency mandated, but it does get really hot here in Florida!

Nov 08 11 03:39 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Reed Davidson wrote:

Alright, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! big_smile I can see that your signed with Ford Models (congratulations!!) and I wanted to know if any of the guys there look like me. I mean, I know I'm not going to find my long-lost twin there, but in general, do you see a lot of thin, long-haired men with long legs?

And I know what you mean about Orlando not being my market. I'm applying to a bunch of universities in Miami, so I hope to continue my modeling career there. And I would never cut my hair unless my agency mandated, but it does get really hot here in Florida!

A LOT of male models are not muscular. Many have thin body types. It depends on the genre, though.

Nov 08 11 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

To Alabaster True --

That's not really accurate. There are many male models who are muscular.

Gabby

Nov 08 11 04:55 pm Link

Model

Krystal Love x

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks for the thread Udor, not sure what some of us new models would do without all of you lol smile
x

Nov 08 11 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Krystal Love x wrote:
Thanks for the thread Udor, not sure what some of us new models would do without all of you lol smile
x

Welcome to the MAYHEM!!! big_smile

Nov 09 11 07:56 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Bare Essential Photos wrote:
To Alabaster True --

That's not really accurate. There are many male models who are muscular.

Gabby

what she said and what you said do not contradict themselves... hmm

I fit in where I do *shrug* but it'll be good to have these articles in the edu section smile

Nov 09 11 10:17 am Link

Model

JohnM85

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Hi I'm also new to modeling and I'm am wondering if I may also get a portfolio assessment like the previous gentleman received? I'm 6ft and approx 160 lbs. I'm 25 and I'm just trying to see where I might fit in. I have done a few shoots, and I'm currently waiting on some internet ad shots I just recently did. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Respectfully,
John M.

Nov 09 11 10:42 am Link

Model

HMM

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Great advice here, thank you guys.
Now just to find an industry that is looking for 6'2", 170lbs Hispanic fashion male model.

Any advice on that?

Nov 09 11 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Los Angeles, California, US

Hey, anybody wants to be a model, then be a model. Subscribe to a page here in MM. Enjoy the social networking, being photographed, collaborating with other artists, If you have the right look that the industry needs then you are one of the lucky few, if not, have fun anyway. As Steve Jobs once said  "Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking"

Nov 09 11 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

HMM wrote:
Great advice here, thank you guys.
Now just to find an industry that is looking for 6'2", 170lbs Hispanic fashion male model.

Any advice on that?

I think that what you'd have to do... is... take yourself over to open calls at agencies.

Oh... and try to change your Blue Steel look... Magnum is the same btw... tongue

Nov 11 11 08:04 am Link

Model

Ellie Mae Empress

Orlando, Florida, US

Love this thread... I get so tired of people asking me why I dont do high fashion because I'm 5'11....My DDD's speak for me!lol...

Nov 11 11 09:15 pm Link

Model

Kitten Grey

Richmond, Virginia, US

T C R wrote:
Hey, anybody wants to be a model, then be a model. Subscribe to a page here in MM. Enjoy the social networking, being photographed, collaborating with other artists, If you have the right look that the industry needs then you are one of the lucky few, if not, have fun anyway. As Steve Jobs once said  "Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking"

+1

I'm doing as much research as I can as a new model. My current profile is anything but solid, because I know I don't fit in anywhere yet. I'm doing a couple TFP shoots to get comfortable with the camera, and maybe get a few good pictures for a starting port. While I'm planning, I'm changing my diet and exercise routine to drop a few pounds that need to be dropped, and I'm doing as much as I can to learn the basics.
Do I want this to be a paying thing? Sure, extra money is nice, but I don't expect it to go that far. I'll learn, I have fun, and chalk it up to a new experience in life.

Nov 12 11 01:04 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Sharika Ellis wrote:
Love this thread... I get so tired of people asking me why I dont do high fashion because I'm 5'11....My DDD's speak for me!lol...

... and they speak in a loud and clear voice... big_smile

Nov 12 11 08:16 am Link