Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Are you a photographer, GWC or GWPW?

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Glen Berry wrote:
So says the "Guy With Pizza Wedge" who literally has 1000% more nudes in his portfolio than I do!  big_smile

go back and have someone read #1 and #2 to you. No whining.

Sep 03 11 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Hughes Suffren wrote:
I'm in.

well you do seem to have shot at least 1 wedding, if you got paid I guess we can say you are a professional

jpb

Sep 03 11 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Glamour International wrote:
You can give me a shot. I'm a big boy.

you shoot "7 days a week" and that is it?

wow, I guess practice does not make perfect

gwc

Sep 03 11 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Aaron Cota wrote:
Ok.

come on, now I have to look at the same bad shots twice "AMC Photography" and "Aaron Cota." Is one Dr Jeckll and one Mr. Hyde?

they are not better the second time around.

You want to shoot dance, go STUDY Lois Greenfields work, then study her work some more. Then shoot a whole bunch of dance,  throw out every single photo and try again. Repeat at least 5 times. I bet you will end up getting better and better each time, possibly ending up with good photos.

JPD

Sep 03 11 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

AMCphotography

Los Angeles, California, US

David Pollack wrote:
come on, now I have to look at the same bad shots twice "AMC Photography" and "Aaron Cota." Is one Dr Jeckll and one Mr. Hyde?

they are not better the second time around.

You want to shoot dance, go STUDY Lois Greenfields work, then study her work some more. Then shoot a whole bunch of dance,  throw out every single photo and try again. Repeat at least 5 times. I bet you will end up getting better and better each time, possibly ending up with good photos.

JPD

I have studied Lois Greefield. Good stuff. I guess I should return the money I've paid to shoot the numerous dancers and dance events I've shot. Oh well, you're entitled to your own opinions.

Sep 03 11 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

AMCphotography

Los Angeles, California, US

Aaron Cota wrote:

I have studied Lois Greefield. Good stuff. I guess I should return the money I've paid to shoot the numerous dancers and dance events I've shot. Oh well, you're entitled to your own opinions.

I would also like you to show me which of my dance photos aren't dance photos, then ask yourself if you can capture a dancer at the right moment without your camera on burst mode. Then show me, and I'll let you know if you'd make Lois Greenfield proud.

Sep 03 11 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Aaron Cota wrote:

I would also like you to show me which of my dance photos aren't dance photos, then ask yourself if you can capture a dancer at the right moment without your camera on burst mode. Then show me, and I'll let you know if you'd make Lois Greenfield proud.

a snap shot of someone dancing does not make it a good dance photo. stop whining and go look at some good dance photos.

Sep 03 11 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd be happy to be labelled.  It's all good.

Sep 03 11 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kien Hoang Photography

Torrance, California, US

David Pollack wrote:

keep shooting, there seems to be something starting to happen, I'd like to see more

leave it at that

Mr. Pollack,
I really admire your vast knowledge about photography and your strength and honesty in these threads. I appreciate your time and comments on my photos. Thank you

Kien

Sep 03 11 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

James Ogilvie wrote:
I'd be happy to be labelled.  It's all good.

Nice shots, the models look natural/comfortable and the images feel like something.

professional

Sep 03 11 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

David Pollack wrote:

Nice shots, the models look natural/comfortable and the images feel like something.

professional

Well, thanks David.  I appreciate that.  smile

Sep 03 11 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Glen Berry wrote:
So says the "Guy With Pizza Wedge" who literally has 1000% more nudes in his portfolio than I do!  big_smile

David Pollack wrote:
go back and have someone read #1 and #2 to you. No whining.

For the record, my first post to your thread was a mistake. I didn't realize the link to your thread would lead me into the "General Feedback" "Fun and Games" section. Had I realized that before I hit the "send" button, I would never have posted here. I wouldn't even waste my time browsing in this particular forum. Many of the threads here are started by petty megalomaniacs who piss on other people in public for their own sadistic amusement. Yours seems to be no different.

Sep 03 11 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Glen Berry wrote:

For the record, my first post to your thread was a mistake. I didn't realize the link to your thread would lead me into the "General Feedback" "Fun and Games" section. Had I realized that before I hit the "send" button, I would never have posted here. I wouldn't even waste my time browsing in this particular forum. Many of the threads here are started by petty megalomaniacs who piss on other people in public for their own sadistic amusement. Yours seems to be no different.

okay, I am sorry you hit the send button, that changes nothing. Stop whining, and try to learn something. Instead of wasting your time and mine yapping, look at the things you call photos and see if you can find anything that you could do to improve them.

If you don't want to be here, go away.

Sep 03 11 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, US

David Pollack wrote:

Where is a single tear sheet, professional job, professional image you have shot. Please show us just one. What are these "international print awards" Please, give me a break. Again, I challenge you to show us a single printed tear sheet that you were PAID to shoot.

All images in my port were paid jobs. I don't work for free. I have photographed for about 5 magazines, some local some national. However I don't seek these jobs as they pay crap ($500-800). This portfolios is for my modeling work, which are mostly one offs and project work. No I don't put my other images on here. Why would I am not looking to book weddings from this site ha. (my weddings average $10,000 ..... not FREE like people seem to want on here)?
Are you comparing what a 'professional image' is to what is in your images on your page? Boy I hope not hahahaha.

Thanks for the entertainment for the night smile
Those in this thread being told if they are a pro or a gwc or whatever, just take it with a grain of salt. Don't hold to much stock in it. Review the one's work who is making that judgement of you. So far the ones I saw that were done... your work far exceeds his so.... like I said take it with a grain of salt.

Sep 04 11 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

Glen Berry wrote:

I think he might be judging them in reverse. Like maybe as a joke or something... who really knows.

Sep 04 11 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

Aaron Cota wrote:

Don't worry he can't show you. Every picture in your portfolio is better then his smile.

Ok that was fun... my last post in this thread. Have fun being rude to people about photos that are all better then yours smile

Sep 04 11 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

Glen Berry wrote:

Glen Berry wrote:

Ah well said!

Sep 04 11 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Dimitrio

Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

well, it's your opinion, let's hear it.

Sep 04 11 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Topend_Jay

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Sep 04 11 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

hello

Sep 04 11 04:38 am Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Topend_J wrote:

Many of the early ones are definitely GWC, others are experiments or what the model asked for, but I'd like to think that some qualify as future photographer.

gwc

Sep 04 11 06:35 am Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Sendu wrote:
hello

hey, someone who can actually use lighting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
professional

Sep 04 11 06:36 am Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Envy Studio wrote:
All images in my port were paid jobs. I don't work for free. I have photographed for about 5 magazines, some local some national. However I don't seek these jobs as they pay crap ($500-800). This portfolios is for my modeling work, which are mostly one offs and project work. No I don't put my other images on here. Why would I am not looking to book weddings from this site ha. (my weddings average $10,000 ..... not FREE like people seem to want on here)?
Are you comparing what a 'professional image' is to what is in your images on your page? Boy I hope not hahahaha.

Thanks for the entertainment for the night smile
Those in this thread being told if they are a pro or a gwc or whatever, just take it with a grain of salt. Don't hold to much stock in it. Review the one's work who is making that judgement of you. So far the ones I saw that were done... your work far exceeds his so.... like I said take it with a grain of salt.

uh huh, you da man.

Still waiting to see a single published tear sheet.  put up or shut up. Where are those "magazine" job.

STOP WHINING and come up with a single shot that looks professional, you can't show one beacause you can't take one.

Sep 04 11 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Photophile Photography

Vancouver, Washington, US

Your thoughts, sir?

Sep 04 11 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Journey2Darkness

Brandon, Florida, US

Take a look, I'm a GWC with about 13 older paperweights sitting around the office.

Sep 04 11 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

David Pollack wrote:
....You are however allowed to say what YOU think I am....

Oooh, I'll take that as an invitiation!!!

I THINK you are a funny man and a good photographer who stalled well short of where you wanted to be. You wanted to be Nicklaus but instead teach swing technique to little old ladies on Sunday mornings at the local muni....

I THINK you aspired to Avedon and Weston, but are paying the bills with family hand-holding Rockwellian tearsheets peddling obsolete software (One of your three comments... "Wow! Very nice!")

I THINK the fact you left that comment (most of the comments you have are the inane style you claim to hate) says something about your principles and credibility.

I THINK you are bitter about the thousands of people who are making friends here AND making decent images....one doesn't have to be Wayne Gretzky to be a good hockey player.

I THOUGHT for a while that you set up a joke profile with the pizza guy exclusively to do the Rickles schtick....finding out this is the real you broke my heart (not really)...

I THINK you are truly funny....sorry that I also THINK that you are a sad and bitter middle-achiever who hates watching other people have fun (and do pretty well) with photography.

These threads are a hoot, despite the sad reality behind them...

Sep 04 11 08:46 am Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Best part is that I could not care less what you think.  BUT you seem to care an awful lot what I think. Quite realistic on both our parts.

By the way, the only thing you are close to factually accurate on is that I aspire to do better. To bad you don't seem to have any aspirations

I'll repeat the same question, show me one single photo you have ever shot that looks PROFESSIONAL.  Stop whining and being bitter.

Sep 04 11 08:49 am Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Photophile Photography wrote:
Your thoughts, sir?

GWC

Sep 04 11 08:51 am Link

Photographer

David Pollack

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Roadtrip Photography wrote:
Take a look, I'm a GWC with about 13 older paperweights sitting around the office.

gwc

Sep 04 11 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

David Pollack wrote:
Best part is that I could not care less what you think.  BUT you seem to care an awful lot what I think. Good thinking on both our parts.

by the way, the only think you are close to factually accurate on is that I aspire to do better. To bad you don't seem to have any aspirations

I'll repeat the same question, show me one single photo you have ever shot that looks PROFESSIONAL.  Stop whining and being bitter.

I'm not whining or bitter....as a health care professional I find you intriguing smile

Re 'Facts'

I mention that you show ancient tearsheets for obsolete softwear in your port. Is this not "factually accurate"?

I mention most of the comments in your port are fluffy idiocy (which you profess to hate). You left them there. Is this not "factually accurate"?

You profess to aspire to be 1% as good as the true photographers...I said I hope you get there...this was friendly smile

I liked it better when I thought you were a hoax. smile I started with admiration for your wit, drifted into disappointment when I realized you weren't 'faking' it, and am now settling into bored disinterest now that you've shown a bunch of the 'real you' on this thread...thanks for being so good about it smile

I'm done...sorry for the borderline threadjack smile

PS-- I have many aspirations and have achieved more than a few. However, doing cheesy Readers Digest family hand-holding stock for ads that nobody sees isn't one of my aspirations....I suppose I will disappoint you forever tongue

All the best!!!!

Sep 04 11 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

David Pollack wrote:

uh huh, you da man.

Still waiting to see a single published tear sheet.  put up or shut up. Where are those "magazine" job.

STOP WHINING and come up with a single shot that looks professional, you can't show one beacause you can't take one.

Yup once again... I'll put up any image in my port right now as professional work. All were paid shoots. I don't have my publications scanned or on my port. Why would I? I show the work in which I am going to book. I don't want to book magazine jobs. They pay like crap. It's hilarious to me that you think that is what equals 'professional' hahaha. Yeaaaa sorry I'll take making a great living over being published in more magazines anyday. Especially if they are magazines/tear sheets like what you are showing. I would be embarrassed to have those images on my portfolio.
In fact I would put up any image on 60% of the people in this thread that you are calling GWC against your work.

Someone else put it perfectly. Your just another sorry wannabe photographer that fell flat on their attempt to make a career out of it and instead no sit on a forum thread bashing other people's work (and rather rudely so) to make yourself feel better hahaha.

My last post on the matter hahaha, have fun repairing your ego by putting down others work that is better then yours smile.

Excuse me now I have to go take a photo of a weird dude holding a slice of pizza, with it's awesome centered weighted composition and horrible backdrop so that I can feel that I am a professional.... oh and of course go and take 'tear sheet' like images that everyone has already shot about 62,000 times before me. Yup. That will make me a 'professional'.

Sep 04 11 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

I THINK you are a funny man and a good photographer who stalled well short of where you wanted to be. You wanted to be Nicklaus but instead teach swing technique to little old ladies on Sunday mornings at the local muni....

I THINK you aspired to Avedon and Weston, but are paying the bills with family hand-holding Rockwellian tearsheets peddling obsolete software (One of your three comments... "Wow! Very nice!")

I THINK the fact you left that comment (most of the comments you have are the inane style you claim to hate) says something about your principles and credibility.

I THINK you are bitter about the thousands of people who are making friends here AND making decent images....one doesn't have to be Wayne Gretzky to be a good hockey player.

I THOUGHT for a while that you set up a joke profile with the pizza guy exclusively to do the Rickles schtick....finding out this is the real you broke my heart (not really)...

I THINK you are truly funny....sorry that I also THINK that you are a sad and bitter middle-achiever who hates watching other people have fun (and do pretty well) with photography.

These threads are a hoot, despite the sad reality behind them...

Hahahahaha, perfectly said! Well done.

Sep 04 11 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

David Pollack wrote:

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Since this seems to be your tag line.... I think it would be fun to see YOU show us an image of yours that you have ever shot that you think looks PROFESSIONAL. Because so far I don't see any.

Sep 04 11 09:28 am Link

Photographer

jwatkins photography

Amarillo, Texas, US

I'll play

Sep 04 11 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Envy Studio wrote:

David Pollack wrote:

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Since this seems to be your tag line.... I think it would be fun to see YOU show us an image of yours that you have ever shot that you think looks PROFESSIONAL. Because so far I don't see any.

I appear misquoted here...I never challenged anybody to do anything....

Sep 04 11 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Envy Studio

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Envy Studio wrote:

David Pollack wrote:

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

I appear misquoted here...I never challenged anybody to do anything....

Yes sorry the quote thingy didn't work properly. That was the OP repeating that line and me telling him to show. Sorry for confussion

Sep 04 11 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Sendu

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Envy Studio wrote:
Yup once again... I'll put up any image in my port right now as professional work. All were paid shoots.
[...]
Someone else put it perfectly. Your just another sorry wannabe photographer that fell flat on their attempt to make a career out of it and instead no sit on a forum thread bashing other people's work (and rather rudely so) to make yourself feel better hahaha.

My last post on the matter hahaha, have fun repairing your ego by putting down others work that is better then yours smile

Good lord people. You do not have to be good at something to be able to critique it. The best film critics in the world are not the best film makers.

You asked for his opinion on what he thought of the work you present in your portfolio here on MM. It doesn't matter if someone chose to pay you for those shots. If he thinks those shots don't look professional, he'll tell you that. You can choose to learn from that or not. Whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

For what it's worth, I agree with most of his assessments that I checked.

Sep 04 11 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sendu wrote:
Good lord people. You do not have to be good at something to be able to critique it. The best film critics in the world are not the best film makers.

You asked for his opinion on what he thought of the work you present in your portfolio here on MM. It doesn't matter if someone chose to pay you for those shots. If he thinks those shots don't look professional, he'll tell you that. You can choose to learn from that or not. Whining about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

For what it's worth, I agree with most of his assessments that I checked.

Do you agree with what he said about you?? tongue

Funny how 'diplomatic' one becomes depending on what was said smile

PS Love your search engine!!!

ETA--I'm a bit disappointed that you felt OP needed your 'help'...he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would call a white knight.

Or maybe you volunteered...  wink

Sep 04 11 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Nick Wade Photography

Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, US

David Pollack wrote:
well you have done it, I never thought that looking at photos of nude women could make me sick to my stomach but I was wrong.

JPB

Well it is your opinion, glad my collectors that buy my Fine Art don't think so,as they pay well and make   me a very fine living

Sep 04 11 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Brightonian

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Am I a guy - Yes
Do I have a camera - yes
I suppose that makes me a guy with camera
I quite like that

Sep 04 11 11:09 am Link