Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Portrait Professional...any good? Examples?

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

Posts: 3015

San Ramon, California, US

I imagine it's pretty limited on when it's worth using but thought I'd throw the question out there...

Sep 29 11 07:13 am Link

Model

3-Dimensional

Posts: 1081

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I dunno... looks pretty sketchy. - I haven't used it for my photography, and in my circle... its regarded as a joke.

hope someone gives you more/better info than me.

(I use PS CS3, Lightroom 2.2,  Picnik, and some awesome stand-alones)

Sep 29 11 07:44 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

Posts: 3015

San Ramon, California, US

JD aka 3D wrote:
I dunno... looks pretty sketchy. - I haven't used it for my photography, and in my circle... its regarded as a joke.

hope someone gives you more/better info than me.

(I use PS CS3, Lightroom 2.2,  Picnik, and some awesome stand-alones)

Thanks JD. We'll see if anyone's got more info but I'm sure that "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself."

Sep 29 11 07:51 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Posts: 3840

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You know those toy guitars that play a tune when you hit a button? If you want to get one of those and play it in front of your friends (while calling yourself a 'guitar player') then be my guest smile

Yup, that's Portrait Pro.

However, to be fair PP can be okay if one takes the time to learn how to use it discreetly.

Thing is, one can get Lightroom and Elements (+/- a good plugin like Portraiture) for a bit more money, and be on the path to proper editing techniques.

The latter will take a bit more time than learning 'proper' PP, but will be a better investment of time and energy in the long run.

Sep 29 11 07:59 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22622

Salem, Oregon, US

it doesn't get much respect but i have used it on model and customer headshots. it can make subtle alterations to the face more easily perhaps than using liquify and it can definitely pop the eyes. it can also zap zits (whereas portraiture just blurs them). i think it's a useful tool to have at one's disposal even if may not be an every day thing.

Sep 29 11 08:07 am Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Thanks JD. We'll see if anyone's got more info but I'm sure that "If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself."

PP is fine. PP is great. PP would not be in business for such a long time if they sucked. The Photoshop guys recommend. I recommend. Learn it and use it to get down in minutes what would take hours to do in photoshop. If people have the time to sit around all day or week popping zits on one photograph then PP is not for them. If your a working Pro and you need to get that clients work done by a quick deadline then PP is going to work for you. If you OCD and call yourself "High end" anything then your going to not recommend it even though I know of a lot of "High End'ers" who do.
Now will be a good time for all they nay sayer's to pick on my work that helps pay my rent.
Use it. PP is a gem.

I make a living with my creations. I use PP on almost all images. I have been published in magazines and books and cd covers.

Sep 29 11 08:07 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

Posts: 3015

San Ramon, California, US

Beautiful Sundays wrote:
You know those toy guitars that play a tune when you hit a button? If you want to get one of those and play it in front of your friends (while calling yourself a 'guitar player') then be my guest smile

Yup, that's Portrait Pro.

However, to be fair PP can be okay if one takes the time to learn how to use it discreetly.

Thing is, one can get Lightroom and Elements (+/- a good plugin like Portraiture) for a bit more money, and be on the path to proper editing techniques.

The latter will take a bit more time than learning 'proper' PP, but will be a better investment of time and energy in the long run.

Ya, I'm using Elements 8 now but looking for something else to play with. Think I'll just look into Portraiture. What's the point of using Lightroom? Better organization than Elements? Workflow?

Sep 29 11 08:16 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22622

Salem, Oregon, US

portrait professional tackles a lot more than portraiture does. especially for a newbie to retouching, portrait professional can really get them off to a fast start with their headshots (when used with some restraint). i agree that one would do well to learn the more manual techniques but that comes in time.

Beautiful Sundays wrote:
Thing is, one can get Lightroom and Elements (+/- a good plugin like Portraiture) for a bit more money, and be on the path to proper editing techniques.

Sep 29 11 08:19 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22622

Salem, Oregon, US

nothing wrong with elements but it's not the same as using lightroom/photoshop or bridge/photoshop. among other things i think the raw converter in elements is lacking some features. and for my work it's all about masking and i don't think elements has that? or the patch tool?

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Ya, I'm using Elements 8 now but looking for something else to play with. Think I'll just look into Portraiture. What's the point of using Lightroom? Better organization than Elements? Workflow?

Sep 29 11 08:22 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Posts: 7665

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Ya, I'm using Elements 8 now but looking for something else to play with. Think I'll just look into Portraiture. What's the point of using Lightroom? Better organization than Elements? Workflow?

LR is a full raw converter with a great file handling system. Great for editing and you can find great presets for tones to work on batch.

The real question is... do you do this for a living? What's your goal? Do you want to make a living of portrait photography or do you do it for fun?

Do you want to move into fashion and beauty? If this is your goal, PP won't do it.

x

PD: When you read through answers, it'd be convenient to check out people's portfolios, find the kind of work you'd like to be doing and listen to what THEY say.
Not just for retouching, but photography or any visual art

Good luck!

Sep 29 11 08:25 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

Posts: 3015

San Ramon, California, US

hartcons wrote:
portrait professional tackles a lot more than portraiture does. especially for a newbie to retouching, portrait professional can really get them off to a fast start with their headshots (when used with some restraint). i agree that one would do well to learn the more manual techniques but that comes in time.


Well, I'm not new to retouching and don't mind the time it takes to do it right. I'm more...

A) Looking for something new to play with.

and

B) Looking for something to speed up edits on shots that don't matter so much. (I.E. shots that wont be printed or are just snaps that people like but still could use a slight boost.)

Sep 29 11 08:27 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22622

Salem, Oregon, US

when i have a senior whose face is encrusted in zits and pockmarks i definitely try PP if it's a headshot. it can save a lot of time. and time is money.

i'll have moms say things like "oh, her skin is so smooth. i really like that one" but like natalia said, a lot depends on your market.

for my proofing galleries i'll run portraiture in batch mode but i haven't found a way to make it pop zits or clean up under the eyes and such.

New Dawn Photography wrote:
B) Looking for something to speed up edits on shots that don't matter so much. (I.E. shots that wont be printed or are just snaps that people like but still could use a slight boost.)

Sep 29 11 08:32 am Link

Photographer

New Dawn Photography

Posts: 3015

San Ramon, California, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

LR is a full raw converter with a great file handling system. Great for editing and you can find great presets for tones to work on batch.

The real question is... do you do this for a living? What's your goal? Do you want to make a living of portrait photography or do you do it for fun?

Do you want to move into fashion and beauty? If this is your goal, PP won't do it.

x

PD: When you read through answers, it'd be convenient to check out people's portfolios, find the kind of work you'd like to be doing and listen to what THEY say.
Not just for retouching, but photography or any visual art

Good luck!

Thanks Natalia. I'm a semi-pro. Get paid now and again but prefer to do my artwork which doesn't really pay. Very much enjoying Bridal Portraits and have a growing interest Beauty.

Sep 29 11 08:41 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Posts: 4825

Houston, Texas, US

New Dawn Photography wrote:
I imagine it's pretty limited on when it's worth using but thought I'd throw the question out there...

Their ad example posted on MM that morphs from before/after.....Scares the HELL out of me!!

Sep 29 11 08:44 am Link

Photographer

David Moss Photography

Posts: 18

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Try PP !! You can download a trial version of it to play with !!

Sep 29 11 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Posts: 3840

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

New Dawn Photography wrote:
Ya, I'm using Elements 8 now but looking for something else to play with. Think I'll just look into Portraiture. What's the point of using Lightroom? Better organization than Elements? Workflow?

Natalia answered the question, but I'll stress what she said re presets. There are a zillion free presets for LR that are easy to install and use. The presets usually adjust global issues, but can be a huge time-saver since you can batch process with presets while doing the RAW-level editing.

For doing big batches I LOVE LR.

Sep 29 11 11:42 am Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Natalia answered the question, but I'll stress what she said re presets. There are a zillion free presets for LR that are easy to install and use. The presets usually adjust global issues, but can be a huge time-saver since you can batch process with presets while doing the RAW-level editing.

For doing big batches I LOVE LR.

I think David Moss answered better: There is a free trial download. Knock yourself out for free and make your own decision. Best advice yet

Sep 29 11 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Posts: 3840

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Art of Churchwell wrote:
I think David Moss answered better: There is a free trial download. Knock yourself out for free and make your own decision. Best advice yet

Agree.

Free is free smile

Let me extend the idea...after the trial select the 'best' Portrait Pro edits and offer them up for serious critique (don't say how they are edited or anything...just ask).

This will let one know if they are using PP 'nicely'. One problem w PP is the default creates an unmistakable 'Village of the Damned' look...

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/village-of-the-damned-1960.jpg

People skilled w PP manage to avoid this.

Sep 29 11 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 9566

Seattle, Washington, US

PP is a tool. By no mean it is a substitute for knowledge and skills.But if is used and applied properly, it is a valuable tool. It could accomplish certain things in much less time and effort. But if you ego tells you you need to show off your 'high end' skills and take the longer route and work, that is your choice.

Sep 29 11 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Posts: 3840

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Chuckarelei wrote:
PP is a tool. By no mean it is a substitute for knowledge and skills.But if is used and applied properly, it is a valuable tool. It could accomplish certain things in much less time and effort. But if you ego tells you you need to show off your 'high end' skills and take the longer route and work, that is your choice.

I disagree with this premise.

The workflow to perform what PP 'does' using LR and CS takes no longer than running PP and does a far better job. I'm not talking about 3 hour micro DB here; I'm talking about the things PP does to an image.

I've tried PP and done 'Pepsi Challenges' with the same images using LR/CS...the 'longer route and work' doesn't apply (and the result is far better).

Sep 29 11 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

In the 70's my fathers family business was Auto reconditioning (high end detailing a car.) We used buffers, to separate the molecules in the paint finish to bring the car to a shine that you would not believe. We detailed the car from the rocker panels and chrome bumbers with gasoline to take of the tar and chrome polish to bring it to a shine. We detailed the interiour with the most powerful cleaner and wetvac and found lots of change for candy while doing it. When finished the car looked better than when new. It had been Mirror glazed by Churchwell and it was guaranteed shine for 6 months.

Today people buy a bottle of Simonize and a hand vacuum and do the same thing. Of course I and my father say "Pfft, aint the same" but the client say it is

Sep 29 11 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Beautiful Sundays

Posts: 3840

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The Art of Churchwell wrote:
In the 70's my fathers family business was Auto reconditioning (high end detailing a car.) We used buffers, to separate the molecules in the paint finish to bring the car to a shine that you would not believe. We detailed the car from the rocker panels and chrome bumbers with gasoline to take of the tar and chrome polish to bring it to a shine. We detailed the interiour with the most powerful cleaner and wetvac and found lots of change for candy while doing it. When finished the car looked better than when new. It had been Mirror glazed by Churchwell and it was guaranteed shine for 6 months.

Today people buy a bottle of Simonize and a hand vacuum and do the same thing. Of course I and my father say "Pfft, aint the same" but the client say it is

Agree...and there are people who swear their homemade bathtub wine is as good as the expensive bottled stuff sold in liquor marts.

If people are buying bathtub wine and are happy, then everybody's happy smile

Sep 29 11 12:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Posts: 7665

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Chuckarelei wrote:
But if you ego tells you you need to show off your 'high end' skills

It's not about ego in my opinion.

But if you can show me a published (serious media) beauty photographer/retoucher that uses PP - I'll agree with what you say

x

Sep 29 11 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Beautiful Sundays wrote:

Agree...and there are people who swear their homemade bathtub wine is as good as the expensive bottled stuff sold in liquor marts.

If people are buying bathtub wine and are happy, then everybody's happy smile

Exactly and it always seems to be what the forum people seem to forget. Life outsise of MM forums where people are real and they ain't buying no images where their face looks unrealistic and like sandpaper no matter how many hours you spend filling in and digging out holes. They have to live up to the image the photographer creates. No model wants to hear some chick say "It's going to take be 4 days to make your face look pretty." Nope and they want it now and thats what makes them happy. Someone asked to be shown a high end photographer who uses PP. Pfft, just look around. Go to PP's site. Forum people put the limitations on the "Show me a high end retoucher who stands 4 feet tall and on page 46 of this high end magazine on Thursday May 26th and I will agree with you." Shame they just can't say "If the client in the real world beyond this forum is happy then use what you can to make her happy fast. Make love not war, but hurry up

Sep 29 11 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Natalia_Taffarel wrote:

It's not about ego in my opinion.

But if you can show me a published (serious media) beauty photographer/retoucher that uses PP - I'll agree with what you say

x

Hope this helps ya from the New York Times down to the Photoshop guys at NAPP. http://www.portraitprofessional.com/press/

Sep 29 11 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rummy

Posts: 948

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

The Art of Churchwell wrote:

Hope this helps ya from the New York Times down to the Photoshop guys at NAPP. http://www.portraitprofessional.com/press/

I looked at the list. I don't see any that she is talking about.

It's a tool. Use it if it suits your workflow. If not, don't use it.

Sep 29 11 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 11732

Oakland Acres, Iowa, US

I think asking if PP is any good is like asking whether or not range finder cameras are any good.

Most would agree that SLRs accomplish more than a rangefinder, but rangefinders have allowed many who would never buy or learn how to use an SLR to quickly and easily take reasonable photos.

PP is like a rangefinder.   It certainly won't do what a knowledgeable person can do with photoshop, but it allows many to do some basic facial editing quickly, cheaply and without any special knowlege that may for some people meet their needs.

As a previous poster said, time is money, and if the intended purpose does not require more specialized editing, then PP may save time.   I find it useful for some stock images for that reason.

I used it on #s 3,7,9 and 10 in my portfolio if you are interested.

Sep 29 11 02:02 pm Link

Retoucher

btdsgn

Posts: 2212

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

PP has become my tool of choice and is the only tool I use anymore.

Sep 29 11 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Posts: 5340

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Some people like to do lazy retouching.

Sep 29 11 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Rummy wrote:

I looked at the list. I don't see any that she is talking about.

It's a tool. Use it if it suits your workflow. If not, don't use it.

No she limited it to herself. I saw about 50 reputable businesses saying they recommend it. Of course they don't hang on MM forums

Sep 29 11 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:
Some people like to do lazy retouching.

usually before getting the the studio

Sep 29 11 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

EbbysTouch

Posts: 51

Dallas, Texas, US

As everone has said it's a tool. The defaults can be over the top but you have the slider options ... I have CS3 and CS5 (uninstalled), Elements 9, LR3 and PP and I don't claim to be a "Pro" but I do get $ for my PP images via clients and stock.

Different programs with some overlapping and some different functionality. Too bad people look down on anything... each person should use what works for them and the type of images and end-use of the images they produce.

Do a trial, make a decision.

Sep 29 11 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rummy

Posts: 948

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

The Art of Churchwell wrote:

No she limited it to herself. I saw about 50 reputable businesses saying they recommend it. Of course they don't hang on MM forums

They are not what/ who she's referring to.

Sep 29 11 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Rummy wrote:
They are not what/ who she's referring to.

We all know who she is refering to. I was showing her 50 reputable companies that use and recommend. I am not sure if "modern women in their 70's" magazine prefers PP or not. Im not limiting to one magazine. I showed 50. I need not say anymore. 50 magazines says they use it and it's good. a couple of peole who hang on MM say it ain't. I will go with the money. I go no more to say about this. 50 magazines say it for me

Sep 29 11 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rummy

Posts: 948

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

The Art of Churchwell wrote:

We all know who she is refering to. I was showing her 50 reputable companies that use and recommend. I am not sure if "modern women in their 70's" magazine prefers PP or not. Im not limiting to one magazine. I showed 50

Again, what you just said is besides the point.

Sep 29 11 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Posts: 5466

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

btdsgn wrote:
PP has become my tool of choice and is the only tool I use anymore.

The stuff in your port has all been done with PP?

Sep 29 11 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

Rummy wrote:

Again, what you just said is besides the point.

re-read the original op question. I answered her question. 50 mags say it is great. no more needs to be said

Sep 29 11 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Posts: 5466

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

The Art of Churchwell wrote:

We all know who she is refering to. I was showing her 50 reputable companies that use and recommend. I am not sure if "modern women in their 70's" magazine prefers PP or not. Im not limiting to one magazine. I showed 50. I need not say anymore. 50 magazines says they use it and it's good. a couple of peole who hang on MM say it ain't. I will go with the money. I go no more to say about this. 50 magazines say it for me

Are you serious? most are just reviews for newbies and they say it is decent software for them. What she said wasn't at all ridiculously limited as you pretend it was.

Sep 29 11 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

DanK Photography wrote:

Are you serious? most are just reviews for newbies and they say it is decent software for them. What she said wasn't at all ridiculously limited as you pretend it was.

I rest my case

Sep 29 11 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

Posts: 5466

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

The Art of Churchwell wrote:
I rest my case

your case being that you can't  read? None of those reviews say they use it for there publications either.

Sep 29 11 02:38 pm Link