Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Email Scams for job offers

Makeup Artist

Alanna Kaihara

Aurora, Illinois, US

I was wondering...have any of you received an email about a job, but it just seems way too good to be true? I didn't know if there were a lot of scams going around.  I got an offer for a job, but considering I have no experience or anything, it just seemed a little fishy to me, but who knows, this could be my big break...?

Nov 14 11 03:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Without knowing any details of the offer it's impossible to say if it is legit, but a good rule of thumb is "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!".
Where did the sender obtain your email address?

Nov 14 11 05:39 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

There's lots of posts on Scams here on MM.

Tell tale signs of a Scam:

1) A "big" sounding name wanting to hire a relative unknown who is WAY out of the area. Why wouldn't they hire BIG names NEAR them?

2) Asking the "wrong" kind of personal information. A Makeup artist doesn't need to disclose height, weight and other "wonky" details.

3) Asking for money in ANY way shape or form... including the infamous "we're sending you the entire budget so you'll have to write a check to the photographer/venue/blah blah blah".

Nov 14 11 08:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rachael Sachse

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

As for not knowing if there are scams going around, you might want to have a read through of the stylist FAQ's. This is there in them:

"SCAMS- VERY IMPORTANT- MUST READ!!!
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it probably is a scam

SCAMS:
so tyically the rule is, if it sounds too good to be true.. it probably is. I think it is very important for the MUAs, Stylists and Hair Stylists out there to know that the popular scams can be directly targeted at us as well: Some of the most popular ones are the following. The BIG INDICATOR of these is that they ask for personal information right off the bat AND they will send you a money order for MUCH more than the inflated price that they have offered you and request that you keep your portion and send the remaining back.

Fashion Show: Usually by a designer that you have never heard of, who is showing in NY, but not during fashoin week. Wedding scam, pay you by money order and some tragic event will happen on the day of the wedding and they will want a refund.

Here are some sample letters:

THE WEDDING SCAM:
Hello Dear,

How are you doing today???

I am Sandra Janet an architect by profession . Am about to tie my Knot with my hearthrob Roy a financial analyst by profession.
Am seeking a professional make -up artist who can add a special touch to make me a Damsel for my D-Day, at my wedding day coming on soon,the location shall be in Glasgow,Scotland in UK.on 28th/10/06 (by 10:00) and The time period shall be for 4 hours.My skin colour is afro / carribean , so as to give you clue on the make up that will suit me.
However there is an arrangement for accomodation, in a very suitable atmosphere. Please kindly let us know if you will be available and also we will like to know the cost of the Make -Up.
Also as we shall be responsible for all the expenses like airflight,hotel etc.Kindly get back to me with the total cost, inorder to tell my wedding planner so as to arrange the payment to book for D-Day..

Presently am away on holiday to bahamas with my fiancee, and will be coming back on september
We can pay by certified cashier check or money order,whichever way you want it.
Kindly get back to us.

Cheers,

Sandra ....

what is a 419 scam?
http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm

Email/Fashion show SCAM???
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=80849

Internet Fraud Advisory!!!
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=78996

Usually, anything that is not adressed to you personally, is from a country other than your own, sounds too good to be true is mass emailed is probably a scam."

My personal rule of thumb is: If you're new, and they contacted you (without you contacting a heap of people about it, and networking your arse off): Scam. Unless you are a brilliant networker (not to be offensive, but you are -very- new it looks like, unless you have a brilliant website and portfolio hidden away somewhere) this will be some form of scam, depending. It could be legit, but we're a little tied without information.
If it's a photographer, there are ways to check (their website, business license, portfolio, other people who have worked with them. Same goes for companies/designers/models)
If it's a bride, you can check twitter/facebook/etc etc. Plus, they will have to pay up front and sign your contract (just make it a non-refundable retainer in cash, if you're worried. No cheques).

Nov 14 11 09:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Gosia K

London, England, United Kingdom

I got something like this:

Hello Gosia,my name is Mrs.Kathy Perkinson am the Senior human
resource manager (ROYAL LIVER ASSURANCE Germany)am from Liverpool UK
but I live and work with my family here in Berlin Germany but am
presently in Rome Italy on a business trip and shopping. I went
through your model mayhem page and I must admit your works are
adorable I would love you to handle my Daughters makeup,my daughter
Jasmine Perkinson is getting married on Wednesday 15th of December
2011 in Berlin Germany,that’s like in a months and some week’s time
from now. I would need you to do her makeup on the wedding ceremony
day want a feel and a look of our origin on her appearance on the
ceremony day and that's why I want someone from the UK  to handle her
makeup,i like your works and i believe you can give my daughter a
sweet and nice makeup look for the ceremony. It’s a small ceremony
with an invite list of not more than 150 People and the ceremony is
expected to last not more than 4 hours.My budget is (400 pounds) which
I will pay to you a 50% upfront (200pounds) and then pay the balance
of (200 pounds) when you are done with the job in Berlin Germany.Your
travel ticket and hotel accommodation would be made available to you
by me and would be sent to you by my Flight Agent. Email me be back
soonest so I can make arrangements for your upfront payment thanks.
Hoping to hear from you soon
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

Nov 15 11 11:22 am Link

Model

nnn

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

If they refer to you as:
"dear friend"
"Dear Model"
"Dear anything that is not your name"
Then they are most certainly a scam. Agencies wishing to use you would address you by name.
However, if they do address you by name and (as mentioned) ask for random details they shouldn't need (eg bank details/full address) then they're still a scam.
Also favoured by scammers is telling you that you'll be paid a ridiculous sum of money even though you only started modelling yesterday (for example).
Email addresses which are @gmail.com when they claim to be working for Vogue Magazine etc are also another giveaway.
Check out the Newbie Forum - someone will have probably posted about the same scam email you received as they tend to recycle them smile
Also, make sure you don't have your email address on your profile as this makes it easier to get sent scam mails.

Nov 15 11 11:36 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Stylist Crystal

Los Angeles, California, US

I would like to report a possible scam coming from a modeling agent named Allen Thomas with Exclusive Wears offering me a job for 3 hours 2 models $400.  Asking for my address, AGE, number, sex etc. TOO many red flags with your typical scam!  Delete Delete Delete and don't respond!!!

Nov 18 11 03:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Alice Bizarre

Hatfield, England, United Kingdom

Gosia K
I got the same email, and have been talking to her lawyer and flight agent... now i'm worried its just a scam... but i've been very wary about it so far xx

Nov 18 11 02:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

FaceQuizite

Gosia K wrote:
I got something like this:

Hello Gosia,my name is Mrs.Kathy Perkinson am the Senior human
Jasmine Perkinson is getting married on Wednesday 15th of December
sweet and nice makeup look for the ceremony. It’s a small ceremony
with an invite list of not more than 150 People and the ceremony is
expected to last not more than 4 hours.My budget is (400 pounds) which
I will pay to you a 50% upfront (200pounds) and then pay the balance
of (200 pounds) when you are done with the job in Berlin Germany.Your
travel ticket and hotel accommodation would be made available to you
by me and would be sent to you by my Flight Agent. Email me be back
soonest so I can make arrangements for your upfront payment thanks.
Hoping to hear from you soon
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

OMG!!!!.... I think I got this same e-mail but I thought it was too good to be true. I replied asking a ton of questions but never got a reply. Now I know why.

Nov 19 11 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Moderator Note!
To all of you that question whether something is a scam or not;

Please go to your mystuff page and find this graphic and click on it;
https://mms.ibsrv.net/images/info/AvoidScams.jpg

Then read the info there and also click on the link there. That link will take you
here.
NEW MODELS; Learn about scams

Please do some reading. The best way to avoid being scammed is to learn how to recognize them.

If you are contacted here on MM with such an offer, please report it to us via CAM (Contact A Mod), the link to contact us is found under the info tab.

Nov 19 11 03:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Alice Bizarre

Hatfield, England, United Kingdom

FaceQuizite wrote:

OMG!!!!.... I think I got this same e-mail but I thought it was too good to be true. I replied asking a ton of questions but never got a reply. Now I know why.

same but i have been in contact with their 'lawyer' and their #flight agent' so i'm not sure x

Nov 19 11 04:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nicola Hair And Makeup

THE WEDDING SCAM:
Hello Dear,

How are you doing today???

I am Sandra Janet an architect by profession . Am about to tie my Knot with my hearthrob Roy a financial analyst by profession.
Am seeking a professional make -up artist who can add a special touch to make me a Damsel for my D-Day, at my wedding day coming on soon,the location shall be in Glasgow,Scotland in UK.on 28th/10/06 (by 10:00) and The time period shall be for 4 hours.My skin colour is afro / carribean , so as to give you clue on the make up that will suit me.
However there is an arrangement for accomodation, in a very suitable atmosphere. Please kindly let us know if you will be available and also we will like to know the cost of the Make -Up.
Also as we shall be responsible for all the expenses like airflight,hotel etc.Kindly get back to me with the total cost, inorder to tell my wedding planner so as to arrange the payment to book for D-Day..

Presently am away on holiday to bahamas with my fiancee, and will be coming back on september
We can pay by certified cashier check or money order,whichever way you want it.
Kindly get back to us.

Cheers,

Sandra ....

YESSS I got the same wedding scam about two months ago, but this time it was her daughter getting married in Berlin, she claimed she would pay for my flight and accomodation out there just to do her daughters hair and makeup. Considering I am from London, I could see it was clearly a scam!!
I like the way she starts all of her emails with "Hello Dear" - stupid scam ha!

Nov 22 11 07:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Katie Quinn Sullivan

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

SCAM!

To: ____________________
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2011 4:09:55 PM
Subject: we need your makeup services

Hello,my name is Mrs.Kathy Perkinson am the Senior human resource
manager (ROYAL LIVER ASSURANCE USA)am from Ontario Canada but i live
and work in Birmingham  Alabama USA but am presently in the UK on a
business trip and shopping. I went through your model mayhem page and
I must admit your works are adorable I would love you to handle my
Daughters makeup,my daughter Jasmine Woodstone is getting married on
Friday 20th of January 2012 in Alabama,that’s like in a months and
some week’s time from now.I would need you to do her makeup on the
wedding ceremony day,i really want her looking good and astonishing on
the ceremony day and that's why am trusting you to handle her makeup
well enough,also i want a look of our origin Canada on her looks
because her husband to be is also Canadian but based here in the US.I
like your works and i believe you can give my daughter a sweet and
nice makeup look for the ceremony. It’s a small ceremony with an
invite list of not more than 150 People and the ceremony is expected
to last not more than 4 hours.My budget is ($400) which I will pay to
you a 50% upfront ($200)and then pay the balance of ($200) when you
are done with the job in Birmingham Alabama .Your travel ticket and
hotel accommodation would be made available to you by me and would be
sent to you by my Flight Agent. Email me be back soonest so I can make
arrangements for your upfront payment thanks.Hoping to hear from you soon
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

Dec 05 11 05:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Katie Quinn Sullivan wrote:
SCAM!

To: ____________________
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2011 4:09:55 PM
Subject: we need your makeup services

manager (ROYAL LIVER ASSURANCE USA)am from Ontario Canada but i live
and work in Birmingham  Alabama USA but am presently in the UK on a
business trip and shopping. I went through your model mayhem page and
I must admit your works are adorable I would love you to handle my
Daughters makeup,my daughter Jasmine Woodstone is getting married on
Friday 20th of January 2012 in Alabama,that’s like in a months and
some week’s time from now.I would need you to do her makeup on the
wedding ceremony day,i really want her looking good and astonishing on
the ceremony day and that's why am trusting you to handle her makeup
well enough,also i want a look of our origin Canada on her looks
because her husband to be is also Canadian but based here in the US.I
like your works and i believe you can give my daughter a sweet and
nice makeup look for the ceremony. It’s a small ceremony with an
invite list of not more than 150 People and the ceremony is expected
to last not more than 4 hours.My budget is ($400) which I will pay to
you a 50% upfront ($200)and then pay the balance of ($200) when you
are done with the job in Birmingham Alabama .Your travel ticket and
hotel accommodation would be made available to you by me and would be
sent to you by my Flight Agent. Email me be back soonest so I can make
arrangements for your upfront payment thanks.Hoping to hear from you soon
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

LOL, Katie, that one is priceless! I wonder what "a look of origin Canada" looks like??? And why on earth would she hire someone for the west coast of Canada for a wedding in the southeast USA? And... Royal LIVER Assurance??? Haha, these things are such a joke!

Dec 06 11 12:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Slaughter

Denver, Colorado, US

They just don't quit do they?! haha
here's the latest craziness. and yeah, i went to the website he gave me and contacted the actual people to see if it was legit....definetly not haha

Hi,
   My name is Dereck Morgan, am a professional photographer/Manager.i came across you personal email contact while surfing through the modeling website.I have a client who want to update her Catalog with her new year Fashion outfit release and I'm interested in you for the shooting.your pay for the job will be euros 1,500.If you are interested get back to me as soon as possible,via Email contact :[email protected]
here is the website.www.roncois.com
This is to acknowledge the receipt of your email and information provided,has for your question about construction she want to use the catalog for the website that's while she is hosting the shooting.we are issuing up front payment...you can easily get back to us with your payment information such as..
Name on check :
Complete Mailing address :
NAME AS TO APPEAR ON CHECK.................
HOME ADDRESS....................
CITY......................
STATE........................
ZIP CODE.........................
CELL PHONE #.........

I shall look forward hearing from you..
I Shall look forward to read from you.

Job Location:
The shooting will hold at a rented photographers studio in your location,so you don't have to worry about traveling,the name and address of the studio will be forwarded to you before the date of the shooting,all make up will be taken care of in the studio.You can come along with any body of your choice on the day of the shooting,your mum,dad,friend,body-guard anybody you wish to come with just for you to feel more comfortable.

Job details:
You have 12 different Fashion outfits to cover,which would be provided by our client on the day of the shooting.

Types of cloths:
Jeans and Jackets.

Name of client:
Elizabeth Hurley

Company Name:
Oscar de la Renta Designer

Job percentage:
The total pay for the jobs is $1,700 and you get your full payment upfront for you to get ready without further delay.

Shooting Date:
The date for the shooting is not fix,I will have to make arrangement for that ahead from now,I will email you the exact date for the shooting a week before as soon as the arrangement is completed with our client.

Requirements:
Very Attractive,Classy,In Great Shape,Extremely Outgoing & Personable,out spoken,Must be Reliable.

Payment Policy:
As part of my working policy and ethics,I receive full payment from any client before I proceed with any job.this is to identify a serious client and ascertain the job,I hope you comprehend this fact.
I will keep you posted as to when our client want to make upfront payment

Expectation:
You need to have good and attractive poses .(start practicing)Basically this is all required of you,for your make up my client will be taken care of it,you don't have to be worry for any make up,please get in touch with me if you will take the job and we can go from there,just let me know if you will take the job to commence with next arrangement.Please I'd like you to check your email on a regular bases, I might have updates for you.All clothes will be provided to you and also there is no problem to you height.

Regards.

Dereck Morgan

Dec 06 11 07:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tara Pagliara MUA

New York, New York, US

Alice Bizarre wrote:

same but i have been in contact with their 'lawyer' and their #flight agent' so i'm not sure x

Anyone can say they are a lawyer or flight agent! Do not give them any info do you not see other people stating that they got the same exact email????

Dec 06 11 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Russo Photography

Runnemede, New Jersey, US

I get a few a week, just delete them and mark them as spam.

Kevin Russo -Photographer
www.KR-Photos.Com

Dec 06 11 08:31 am Link

Photographer

matguerin

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

kathy perkinson [email protected]

10:48 AM (36 minutes ago)

to me
manager (ROYAL LIVER ASSURANCE Alabama USA)am from Ontario Canada but
i live and work here in Birmingham  Alabama USA but am presently in
the UK on a business trip and shopping.I went through your model
mayhem page and I must admit your works are adorable I would love you
to handle my Daughters photography,my daughter Jasmine Perkinson is
getting married on Thursday 2nd of Febuary 2012 in Alabama,that’s like
in a months and some week’s time from now.I would need you to be the
photographer on the wedding ceremony day,i really want her pictures to
look good and astonishing and that's why am trusting you to handle the
event well enough judging from your nice pictures on model mayhem,we
need you to take lovely shots on the wedding day,shots that we would
all remember for a long time even way after the ceremony day.It’s a
small ceremony with an invite list of not more than 150 People and the
ceremony is expected to last not more than 4 hours.My budget is
($1,200) which I will pay to you a 50% upfront ($600)and then pay the
balance of ($600) when you are done with the job in Birmingham
Alabama.Your travel ticket and hotel accommodation would be made
available to you by me and would be sent to you by my Flight
Agent.Email me be back soonest so I can make arrangements for your
upfront payment thanks.Hoping to hear from you soonest
Happy Holidays
Mrs Perkinson

Scam!!!

Dec 21 11 08:26 am Link

Photographer

matguerin

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Denise wrote:

LOL, Katie, that one is priceless! I wonder what "a look of origin Canada" looks like??? And why on earth would she hire someone for the west coast of Canada for a wedding in the southeast USA? And... Royal LIVER Assurance??? Haha, these things are such a joke!

I got almost the same.

kathy perkinson [email protected]

10:48 AM (36 minutes ago)

to me
i live and work here in Birmingham  Alabama USA but am presently in
Happy Holidays
Mrs Perkinson

Dec 21 11 08:27 am Link

Photographer

ecaceres

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

i live and work here in Birmingham Alabama USA but am presently in
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

Dec 21 11 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

ecaceres

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

got thatone

Dec 21 11 12:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautyByJemz

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Can anyone tell me what they might know about a "Depesha Magazine" scam? It sounds like a scam, so I'm trying to research before replying or reporting it...

I was sent the first email:

On Dec 22, 2011, at 6:36 PM, DEPESHA FASHION MAGAZINE  wrote:

> Hello,
> How has been your day? Fine i guess. I went through your profile on www.modelmayhem.com, and i am pleased to inform you that you have been invited to participate in an upcoming photo shoot organized by Depesha Fashion Magazine for the professional photo shoot. No nudity, fetish, bondage and other adult content stuff. Kindly get back to me if you are interested.
>
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Sean Howell

Second email received this morning:

Hi ,

Thanks for the response and hope you had a lovely holiday. Well the magazine is just a new mag to come up next month and we would want you to be in the first launch of the magazine. It is not a must you have experience but all we need is a good posture of you to give a better shoot.

DATE AND TIME:
This exposition is going to be held on the 13th and 14th of January 2012 in Tampa, Florida.The shoot will commence at 12:00 PM EST noon and end at 3:00 PM EST which would take you complete 3 hours.

PROJECT DETAILS:
This project is organized by the company and is basically on photo shoot to display latest fashions and designers for commercial purpose and be informed that it is an outdoor show and will be publicized.

JOB PAYMENT:
The company is going to pay you the sum of $300 as hourly shooting rate which means your shoot for the 3hours will be $900 and the payment will be paid to you immediately you are done with the shoot.

COMPENSATION FEE:
You will be given a compensation fee of $200 with your payment immediately after the shoot in case of any inconveniences.

ESCORT
As matter of choice, you can bring along any one of your choice to the shooting venue as your escort and the company will be responsible for their well being and flight ticket also.

MAKE UP ARTIST AND PHOTOGRAPHER:
The company has personal photographers and makeup artist,so we have made all necessary arrangement for your good looking on that day and also our photographers are available to give you best directive.

REQUIREMENT(S)
You are not required to do any make up on your own because the company has provided make up artist to cover that aspect and you are to attach along your good looking photo,at least one(1) photo.

TRAVELING EXPENSES:
All traveling Expenses like Food/Accommodation/ with the flight ticket to-and-fro will be covered by the company and the flight ticket will be sent to you immediately your details is received.

(NOTE)
Please be notified that your flight payment will be in form of a Certified check or Direct deposit which will include the fashion store/Makeup Artist so as to get the makeup stuff you will be modeling with ready before the shoot and after taken out your flight payment the balance will be remitted to the Wardrobe Manager. If you agree with this and you are ready to carry out this exercise kindly get back to me with the information below and we kindly want you to take your time and read very well because we are not here to make a hoax of our job and we wouldn't want a model that received our payment say he/she is no more interested and if such things happened,we shall turn it to the hand of the local authority because the Local Authority are involved and follow us for security purpose.

PAYMENT INFORMATION:

Full Name to be written on check :...........
Residence address (Not Po. Box) :....
City :......................................
State :....................................
Zip Code :...............................
Mobile Phone Number :............
home phone Number :..............
Nearest Airport :......................
Health Condition :....................
Other Occupations :.................
Experience :...........................
Shoe Size :.............................
Bust :.....................................
Waist :....................................
Hips :.....................................
Height :..................................
Your Email in Use:...................

Regards,
Sean Howell

The other thing for me is, I'm not a model lol, clearly I'm an MUA so half of this email is totally irrelevant to me! But I tried Googling and I'm not coming up with much negative stuff so perhaps someone here might have an idea??

Dec 29 11 08:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

It's a scam!

Dec 30 11 12:42 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

Why would a Client EVER need to know a Makeup artists Shoe Size? Bust? Hips?.....

Even if this were not an obious scam it would be a clear indication of a Client that doesn not have a frigg'n clue.

Dec 30 11 01:03 pm Link

Model

Jeana Turner

Los Angeles, California, US

Brittany Slaughter wrote:
They just don't quit do they?! haha
here's the latest craziness. and yeah, i went to the website he gave me and contacted the actual people to see if it was legit....definetly not haha

Hi,
   My name is Dereck Morgan, am a professional photographer/Manager.i came across you personal email contact while surfing through the modeling website.I have a client who want to update her Catalog with her new year Fashion outfit release and I'm interested in you for the shooting.your pay for the job will be euros 1,500.If you are interested get back to me as soon as possible,via Email contact :[email protected]
here is the website.www.roncois.com
This is to acknowledge the receipt of your email and information provided,has for your question about construction she want to use the catalog for the website that's while she is hosting the shooting.we are issuing up front payment...you can easily get back to us with your payment information such as..
Name on check :
Complete Mailing address :
NAME AS TO APPEAR ON CHECK.................
HOME ADDRESS....................
CITY......................
STATE........................
ZIP CODE.........................
CELL PHONE #.........

I shall look forward hearing from you..
I Shall look forward to read from you.

Job Location:
The shooting will hold at a rented photographers studio in your location,so you don't have to worry about traveling,the name and address of the studio will be forwarded to you before the date of the shooting,all make up will be taken care of in the studio.You can come along with any body of your choice on the day of the shooting,your mum,dad,friend,body-guard anybody you wish to come with just for you to feel more comfortable.

Job details:
You have 12 different Fashion outfits to cover,which would be provided by our client on the day of the shooting.

Types of cloths:
Jeans and Jackets.

Name of client:
Elizabeth Hurley

Company Name:
Oscar de la Renta Designer

Job percentage:
The total pay for the jobs is $1,700 and you get your full payment upfront for you to get ready without further delay.

Shooting Date:
The date for the shooting is not fix,I will have to make arrangement for that ahead from now,I will email you the exact date for the shooting a week before as soon as the arrangement is completed with our client.

Requirements:
Very Attractive,Classy,In Great Shape,Extremely Outgoing & Personable,out spoken,Must be Reliable.

Payment Policy:
As part of my working policy and ethics,I receive full payment from any client before I proceed with any job.this is to identify a serious client and ascertain the job,I hope you comprehend this fact.
I will keep you posted as to when our client want to make upfront payment

Expectation:
You need to have good and attractive poses .(start practicing)Basically this is all required of you,for your make up my client will be taken care of it,you don't have to be worry for any make up,please get in touch with me if you will take the job and we can go from there,just let me know if you will take the job to commence with next arrangement.Please I'd like you to check your email on a regular bases, I might have updates for you.All clothes will be provided to you and also there is no problem to you height.

Regards.

Dereck Morgan

just ignore it

Dec 31 11 03:23 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Jeana Turner wrote:
I got this as well... hmmm, should i take the risk and go with my big black boyfriend or no? Im thinking just cash the entire check the send me and use the $2000 of myself. Give them a taste of their own medicine wink

The check isn't real, but will appear to be real enough that the check will cash and then bounce a couple weeks later. Your bank will hold you responsible for any money spent.
There's no one waiting for you wherever they tell you to go; it's a money laundering scam to turn fake checks into real money: send you a fake check, you cash it, you western union someone your real money, then have to deal with it when the check bounces.
Do not put any money into your account that may not be legit, as you can get into legal trouble for cashing a fraudulent check.
If you ever have any questions about a check's legitimacy, call the bank from which the check claims to be from and ask them to verify it for you. I recommend this with any check coming from someone you haven't met.

Dec 31 11 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Mnemosyne - Projects

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Damianne wrote:

The check isn't real, but will appear to be real enough that the check will cash and then bounce a couple weeks later. Your bank will hold you responsible for any money spent.
Do not put any money into your account that may not be legit, as you can get into legal trouble for cashing a fraudulent check.
If you ever have any questions about a check's legitimacy, call the bank from which the check claims to be from and ask them to verify it for you. I recommend this with any check coming from someone you haven't met.

Hell, I recommend it with checks from people you DO know.

Dec 31 11 07:37 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Mnemosyne - Projects wrote:

Hell, I recommend it with checks from people you DO know.

If you think it's a good idea to cash a check you know is from a scam, then yeah, maybe just verify all checks for a while.

Dec 31 11 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Mnemosyne - Projects

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Damianne wrote:

If you think it's a good idea to cash a check you know is from a scam, then yeah, maybe just verify all checks for a while.

I meant not cashing it and blowing it.

Although it's weird. My bank when I cash any personal check (corporate paychecks are different), I can get 100 immediately, and the rest the next day. The reason for that is the check has to clear first, and the money transferred. So I've always been curious how these scams still exist, when at least my bank won't even give me the money until the check has cleared first.

Dec 31 11 08:19 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Mnemosyne - Projects wrote:

I meant not cashing it and blowing it.

Although it's weird. My bank when I cash any personal check (corporate paychecks are different), I can get 100 immediately, and the rest the next day. The reason for that is the check has to clear first, and the money transferred. So I've always been curious how these scams still exist, when at least my bank won't even give me the money until the check has cleared first.

Because they still let you access your money before the bank has verified the check with the other bank, they simply make you wait until they verify it's a *real* check visually and has all the right parts (like these scams usually have *real* checks with no bank account associated, that have been stolen from a smaller, shitty bank somewhere far away from where they are cashed).

Dec 31 11 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Stephan Rabimov

New York, New York, US

Dear All,

As editor-in-chief of DEPESHA, I sincerely regret that someone would use our magazine's name to scam aspiring models.  While we are dealing with authorities to locate this person, I urge you to keep in mind that professional modeling requests come with an accredited letter with a logo and signature of the editor, and definitely never inside an email (usually a request is a signed PDF attachment).

That said, I applaud your efforts to contact our magazine to ensure if this (too-good-to-be-true) offer is real. Well it is not, and please refrain calling it a DEPESHA scam, as the magazine has nothing to do with it.

We appreciate it, and wish you much luck in your modeling careers.

Sincerely,

Stephan Rabimov
Editor-in-Chief / Publisher
DEPESHA magazine
www.depesha.com

Jan 04 12 01:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Yvonne Yule Make-Up Art

Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada

I got one that wanted to fly me to NYC...im pretty sure they have a ton of MUA in NYC, and a mom who wanted to fly me out to do her daughters wedding..
I just replied in a professional manner (u never know) and said i was booked, most reputable people will know who/what to ask for from you smile and always go with your gut feeling

Jan 04 12 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Yvonne Yule Make-Up Art wrote:
I got one that wanted to fly me to NYC...im pretty sure they have a ton of MUA in NYC, and a mom who wanted to fly me out to do her daughters wedding..
I just replied in a professional manner (u never know) and said i was booked, most reputable people will know who/what to ask for from you smile and always go with your gut feeling

and now the scammers have verified you have a valid email...so you'll get a ton more of them. The delete key is your friend.

Jan 04 12 01:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jacqueline Storm MUA

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

And another.  Thankyou google for finding this thread smile

Reading the below without any paragraph spacing and incorrect use of caps made me giddy!

Hello,my name is Mrs.kathy Perkinson am the Senior human resource
manager (ROYAL LIVER ASSURANCE NEW ZEALAND)am from Sydney Australia
but i live and work here in Wellington New Zealand NZ but am presently
in the UK on a business trip and shopping. I went through your model
to handle my Daughters makeup,my daughter Jasmine Perkinson is getting
married on Friday March 2nd 2012 in Wellington NZ,that’s like in a
months and some week’s time from now.I would need you to do her makeup
on the wedding ceremony day,i really want her looking good and
astonishing on the ceremony day and that's why am trusting you to
handle her makeup well enough,also her husband to be is from Australia
and that's why i want an Australian makeup artist give my daughter
that sweet look we all looking out for on the ceremony day.I like your
works and i believe you can give my daughter a sweet and nice makeup
look for the ceremony. It’s a small ceremony with an invite list of
not more than 150 People and the ceremony is expected to last not more
than 4 hours.My budget is ($500) which I will pay to you a 50% upfront
($250)and then pay the balance of ($250) when you are done with the
job in Wellington NZ .Your travel ticket and hotel accommodation would
be made available to you by me and would be sent to you by my Flight
Agent. Email me be back soonest so I can make arrangements for your
upfront payment and Flight ticket thanks.Hoping to hear from you
soonest
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

Jan 04 12 03:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brooke Pearson

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I have been getting spam too.. with this Kathy Perkinson person ..

the same email as the MUA from Brisbane  (as above)

Jan 05 12 03:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Jacqueline Storm wrote:

Reading the below without any paragraph spacing and incorrect use of caps made me giddy!

soonest
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

I'd recommend you remove your email from your MM profile.

Jan 05 12 05:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Maria T-E

Wow I got the same one twice, but I never replied.

Hello Maria ,my name is Mrs.Kathy Perkinson am the Senior human
Jasmine Perkinson is getting married on Wednesday 14th of December
sweet and nice makeup look for the
ceremony. It’s a small ceremony with an invite list of not more than
150 People and the ceremony is expected to last not more than 4
hours.My budget is (400 pounds) which I will pay to you a 50% upfront
(200pounds) and then pay the balance of (200 pounds) when you are done
with the job in Berlin Germany.Your travel ticket and hotel
accommodation would be made available to you by me and would be sent
to you by my Flight Agent. Email me be back soonest so I can make
arrangements for your upfront payment thanks. Hoping to hear from you
soon
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

Jan 06 12 06:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Alanna Kaihara

Aurora, Illinois, US

Thanks everyone for their stories and advice.  I'm fairly new to the site, and after posting this post, I found the Avoid Scams link.  Ugh I feel like a dummy lol.  Ya live, ya learn I guess...

Jan 07 12 01:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

CMaquillage

New York, New York, US

OOOOOOO they are getting good now i think they read the forums ...

I almost fell for this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Photographer ,I was browsing on the site,then your work captured my attention,then I

go through your profile.I want to you to do make up for a model i want to shoot for a a WEBSITE for an advert of a new product

of animal food which agent give me the assignment,If you are interested,Please get back to me

as soon as possible to get more information at [email protected](ONLY)

Regarding the Wage aspect, you will be paid the sum of $2500 and I  hope you will accept this offer.
I look forward hearing from you

soon....

NOTE : PLEASE REPLY ME AT MY EMAIL ([email protected])I CHECK MY MESSAGES IN MY PERSONAL EMAIL MORE OFTEN.
Wales
Asst Coordinator/ Photographer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the funny thing is there are 2 photographers by the name of Mark Smith.

Jan 07 12 06:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Marie Harder

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Jacqueline Storm MUA wrote:

soonest
Kind Regards
Mrs Perkinson

Got this same one exactly. Received it today! Your one busy lady Kathy.

THANK YOU ALL MAYHEMERS, for placing this up to warn others. I didnt respond but wanted to see if she was some extrovert zillionare. I'm so glad this has clarified my doubts!

Jan 10 12 03:51 am Link