Forums > Critique > DEFIANCE: A Personal Project [NSFW] [Male Nudity]

Photographer

Form and Pressure

Auburn, Maine, US

Ronald,

Personal projects are the best. It is my personal belief that an artists best work comes from within...that he or she doesn't make any assumptions about a future audience. Let the work be what it will be, and let those who get it...get it...and those who don't, be exposed to something that's different to their senses.

My only real critique...if you will, is the text. You might consider that the impact of the photo could be more to your goal if you used text reflecting the models own childhood feelings, adolescent feelings, social experiences of all sexualities, deep seeded fears and finally some resolve about how they feel about their bodies and their sexuality....rather than what they feel about a particular photo from the set.

best of luck with your project,

Will

Dec 17 11 05:36 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

Hi Will,

Thank you sir for your comment.

If you read my previous comments, what I dread are people thinking, "Just another gay photographer taking erotic photographs of men. Nothing special. Let's move on." I felt that giving text (mainly my thoughts) and that of some subjects who felt positively towards nudes after volunteering for DEFIANCE differentiates from the status quo images of fine-art male nudes.

My subjects and I are on great terms and I could ask them about their growing up experiences that parallels your suggestion, "...Text reflecting the models own childhood feelings, adolescent feelings, social experiences of all sexualities, deep seeded fears and finally some resolve about how they feel about their bodies and their sexuality."

Williamagine wrote:
Ronald,

Personal projects are the best. It is my personal belief that an artists best work comes from within...that he or she doesn't make any assumptions about a future audience. Let the work be what it will be, and let those who get it...get it...and those who don't, be exposed to something that's different to their senses.

My only real critique...if you will, is the text. You might consider that the impact of the photo could be more to your goal if you used text reflecting the models own childhood feelings, adolescent feelings, social experiences of all sexualities, deep seeded fears and finally some resolve about how they feel about their bodies and their sexuality....rather than what they feel about a particular photo from the set.

best of luck with your project,

Will

Dec 17 11 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Hi Garry,

I am amongst friends here in the forums. You do not have to observe formalities with me. "Mr Tan" is my father; I am Ronald or simply Ron.

:-)

Thank you for dropping by this thread and providing commentary.

Garry k wrote:
I agree with you Mr Tan , the world needs more diversification of the beauty standard

Dec 17 11 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Does anyone would like to provide further commentary or engage me about my project? I enjoy talking about my project and trying to enlighten why I am involved. Talking (discussing) about DEFIANCE help further solidify my artist statement when it is truly ready for publication.

If you're new to this thread, it is IMPERATIVE that you read the OPs that I posted to provide background information. Otherwise my DEFIANCE (properly capitalized) will not communicate clearly with you.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to participating in discussions.

Dec 19 11 10:54 am Link

Photographer

2012 UPDATES

It has been almost a year since I made the original thread. I wanted to offer updates on DEFIANCE and it's evolutionary future.

Earlier in the year, I receive a Pakistani volunteer named Syed and he'a Muslim (not devout). I have elected to showcase excerpts on my Behance site: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Introduc … CE/4620983.

At the start of the thread, I expressed my dissatisfaction towards the lack of diversity in the fine-arts nude genre. I found additional two Black male volunteers and their chapters be be accessed:

Tre: http://www.behance.net/gallery/TreBion- … CE/6025641

Here is the compiled summary and overview of DEFIANCE: http://www.behance.net/gallery/Updates- … on/6126409.

My plan is piecing together—years from now—my collective experience of being an openly homosexual artist. I have solicited expert opinions from fine-art collectors in Los Angeles and they wrote back telling me that I don't have to worry about my project becoming brainless and insipid images, chock full of penises. They appraised and concurred with me that I have utilized my proficiency in photography and retouching to present sensitive topics in a proper, artistic manner.

Since I made this thread, several have written and complained about how horrible my FLASH site's navigation was. I have listened and completely expunged my FLASH site: http://ronaldnztan.com/defiance_1. From my site, I made links to the personal statements from the volunteers during the first year. This is available in an PDF format in case you wish to read offline.

Thanks for reading and I hope to directly engage in correspondence with you.

Dec 02 12 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Stunning work as always, my friend!

Dec 02 12 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

mphunt

Hudson, Florida, US

Good vision and work.

Dec 02 12 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Thanks MP and Shon.

I received a private comment and I wished I could reproduce here, but of course that would be improper. It was a neutral comment from a heterosexual male and that was the sort of discussion I wish to engage and galvanize.

Dec 02 12 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

mac13

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

I love it and think that this will go far! I agree about the redundancy of the images of men in the art world. I feel that this gives a great step to the future of male nude photographed art.

Dec 04 12 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Thanks Mac.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment. I can't believe my project will turn three years old next year.

In the near future I would like to explore the idea of "ageism" in DEFIANCE. I have solicited the assistance from a 57 year old male who had taken great care of his physique. Without jumping to conclusions, I am hoping he would accept my invitation, where by he would be photographed properly for DEFIANCE.

mac13 wrote:
I love it and think that this will go far! I agree about the redundancy of the images of men in the art world. I feel that this gives a great step to the future of male nude photographed art.

Dec 04 12 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Anything that elicits a response, either positive, or negative is always a good thing  .  .  .  isn't that what art is supposed to do  .  .  .  great project, I hope it goes well for you  .  .  .

SOS

Dec 04 12 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Thank you as well, SOS.

If you know open-minded people that would be willing to provide proper feedback, please send them a link to this forum.

sospix wrote:
Anything that elicits a response, either positive, or negative is always a good thing  .  .  .  isn't that what art is supposed to do  .  .  .  great project, I hope it goes well for you  .  .  .

SOS

Dec 04 12 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Darker Muse Images

Pawcatuck, Connecticut, US

Beautifully shot images and I love the concept.

Not that it matters in the context of appreciation of talent but I am a hetero male and found the images to be very appealing.
The sexually charged poses weren't at all disturbing to me but I can see how the non-white male in an erotic setting could give some pause.
It challenges preconceived ideas about the male form in modeling.

I love the idea of you extending this to the older male as well.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Dec 05 12 10:28 am Link

Photographer

@dcollings

Thank you so much for your delightful comment on my work. It means a lot to have a positive reception from a straight male. I am not expecting to wake up the next day and every straight guy on in the US will be all OK with nudes.

I am hoping to win and change perceptions one person at a time. It is much better for the overall male nudes genre that there is one less person thinking bad thoughts or associating with negativity.

If anyone would like to privately engage me in conversation, I welcome the private messages as well. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Darker Muse Images wrote:
Beautifully shot images and I love the concept.

Not that it matters in the context of appreciation of talent but I am a hetero male and found the images to be very appealing.
The sexually charged poses weren't at all disturbing to me but I can see how the non-white male in an erotic setting could give some pause.
It challenges preconceived ideas about the male form in modeling.

I love the idea of you extending this to the older male as well.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Dec 05 12 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Ali Choudhry Photo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I think the black and white ones seems to work better in this series as they take the focus off of the person's color. I think this -enhances- the models as people of color based on other physical features and makes their ethnicity a more cerebral thing.

I also like the effective use of simplicity in the images (from the lighting and simple backdrops to the simple poses of the models). I think this lends itself to really focus on the model and is a technique I use often in my work too.

Jun 18 13 10:04 pm Link