Forums > Photography Talk > Has anyone seen a generic "foursquare" yet?

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

WOW!! Very nice Jay. Now I got to get me one, lol. Thanks for posting this wink.

Sep 08 13 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sep 08 13 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:
WOW!! Very nice Jay. Now I got to get me one, lol. Thanks for posting this wink.

That's what I'm here for tongue

And get one, they're cheap!

Sep 08 13 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Hi_Spade Photography

Florence, South Carolina, US

-JAY- wrote:

That's what I'm here for tongue

And get one, they're cheap!

Jay, Would you mind e-mailing me the link of the mounts and umbrella?

Sep 08 13 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hi_Spade Photography wrote:

Jay, Would you mind e-mailing me the link of the mounts and umbrella?

Sent.

Sep 08 13 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Moments

San Antonio, Texas, US

Wow, that does look sweet, and so do the resulting images.
Wasn't the links on page 1 or did I miss something?

Sep 08 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Frozen Moments Photo wrote:
Wow, that does look sweet, and so do the resulting images.
Wasn't the links on page 1 or did I miss something?

Thanks, and yeah, there's a link to the item on Cowboy Studios page I think, but it's on Amazon too.

Sep 08 13 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Moments

San Antonio, Texas, US

Well, thanks for posting those. Since I now have several (5) speedlites  I was very interested in this thread.

Sep 08 13 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Frozen Moments Photo wrote:
Well, thanks for posting those. Since I now have several (5) speedlites  I was very interested in this thread.

Definitely adds some versatility.

Sep 08 13 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think I'm going to keep it for the sole fact that umbrellas this size always get an "Oh my god, it's so big" comment, and who doesn't like hearing that?

https://www.jayleavitt.com/links/sonja_mm_3.jpg

Sep 08 13 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

T Urban Photography

Somerset, Pennsylvania, US

Dang, that set up looks so sweet!  How do you keep it from blowing over though?  My 43" umbrella wants to go over in a very, very gentle breeze.  That baby looks like it would topple if a butterfly soars past it.

Sep 08 13 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

T Urban Photography wrote:
Dang, that set up looks so sweet!  How do you keep it from blowing over though?  My 43" umbrella wants to go over in a very, very gentle breeze.  That baby looks like it would topple if a butterfly soars past it.

I put a big ass rock on the base of the stand and it stood up to breezes alright.

Sep 08 13 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom

Great post as always Jay,  motivated me to order a large 60" Parabolic , ( think here in not so sunny england may be too windy for a larger version) Cant wait to try it out.

Sep 08 13 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rickspix_uk wrote:
Great post as always Jay,  motivated me to order a large 60" Parabolic , ( think here in not so sunny england may be too windy for a larger version) Cant wait to try it out.

Thanks. I like the silver parabolics because of the increase in power output - it makes some of my underpowered lights good enough.

Sep 08 13 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Next step: attaching four of my Sunpak 622 Supers to the bracket. Since each sunpak is four times as powerful as hotshoe flashes, that's like sixteen flashes.

I need this in my life! I just realized when I checked on the shipping of my recent ebay purchase of 2 new sunpak 622s --- wait a second, now I have four... oh sweet baby jesus what have I done?

Is that a $325 battery operated 2,500 watt-second flash unit? Why yes, yes it is.

Why? Cause why not?

Sep 09 13 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

RKD Photographic

Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Excellent post - it's not that often I see someone finding a solution and then actually bothering with posting the results for all to see...
Good write-up...

Great images too BTW... smile

Sep 10 13 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RKD Photographic wrote:
Excellent post - it's not that often I see someone finding a solution and then actually bothering with posting the results for all to see...
Good write-up...

Great images too BTW... smile

Thanks. I have been using and testing every bit of budget gear I can get my hands on for a couple years now for the sole purpose of sharing - there are so many people who come to this forum (and others) who legitimately want to learn and get started, but have a small budget, and get laughed at when asking what's the best DSLR for about $100 - and get the recommendation of a Hello Kitty P&S.

I bought a Canon XTi w/ 18-55 today for $100, and it's a GREAT learning tool (I used one for my first 2 years, look at me now) and will be featuring it, along with this bracket, on my blog.

Budget tools are still just that... tools.

Sep 10 13 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

SHOOTME

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

-JAY- wrote:
FINALLY FOUND A GENERIC!!! (I'm the OP - different account)

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/mountq.htm

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418uO7O%2BjtL.jpg

I'm going to repurpose an old umbrella bracket to get rid of the ball-head (which I expect to be terrible) - But for $21 (eBay) my Frankensteining is taking a step up!

Oct 10 13 01:20 am Link

Photographer

SHOOTME

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I've been wanting a quad flash bracket myself for a while, I already have a few of those cheap tri brackets although the Cowboy studio quad bracket looks flimsy to me, looks like it might snap any time. Any thoughts?

Oct 10 13 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SHOOTME wrote:
I've been wanting a quad flash bracket myself for a while, I already have a few of those cheap tri brackets although the Cowboy studio quad bracket looks flimsy to me, looks like it might snap any time. Any thoughts?

more heavy duty than I thought it would be. The ballhead might get weaker with time, but for now, it's quite firm, and had no problem with 4 flashes, and an 86" umbrella sticking out 2 feet to the side weighing it down.

Oct 10 13 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

When you add up the cost off all those flashes, you could've just bought one good studio flash and be done with it.

Oct 10 13 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
When you add up the cost off all those flashes, you could've just bought one good studio flash and be done with it.

Please direct me to a 4lb studio light capable of f/10 through a modifier at ten feet, with a power source for $265.

Oct 10 13 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Visico VC-600 or newer models for example. smile

Oct 10 13 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
Visico VC-600 or newer models for example. smile

i'm seeing the Visico VC-600 listed at $499 without a battery, so $750?

And when you don't need that much power, is the VC-600 also four lights?

Oct 10 13 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Jay,

The stuff you're doing with these portable flashes is just superb.  I never owned one before and now you have me assembling a whole portable kit to purchase.

As a forum guide I'm supposed to be able to highlight posts, but I haven't figured that out yet.

I'd like to highlight this and your speedlight comparison guide.  Both are fantastic resources.

Oct 10 13 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

-JAY- wrote:
i'm seeing the Visico VC-600 listed at $499 without a battery, so $750?

And when you don't need that much power, is the VC-600 also four lights?

HOW CAN IT BE THAT MUCH??? I paid 950 for bag, a couple of modifiers, two VC-600 and lightstands? There's gotta be something wrong with import prices for this brand for where you live?

No, it is not 4 lights, it is one predictable studio light with a modeling lamp that does it's job damn well.

To each their own, I myself am planing on getting some portable flashes, just to use them as accent lights, but using 4 of them as a main light, when there is just one light that can replace all that is just plain silly.

P.S. I am not trying to argue that anyone should go either-or, and the choices people make have to fit within budget, it is just that if having one strong light is THAT important, you might as well get it.

Oct 10 13 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:

HOWCAN IT BE THAT MUCH??? I paid 950 for bag, a couple of modifiers, two VC-600 and lightstands? There's gotta be something wrong with import prices for this brand for where you live?

No, it is not 4 lights, it is one predictable studio light with a modeling lamp that does it's job damn well.

To each their own, I myself am planing on getting some portable flashes, just to use them as accent lights, but using 4 of them as a main light, when there is just one light that can replace all that is just plain silly.

Its not silly after an hour long hike in 120 degree heat. 4 speedlites that can do everything I need is better for me than 4 speedlites for when I need 4 lights, then carrying another 10 pounds for a big monolight just so I don't look silly.

Oct 10 13 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
P.S. I am not trying to argue that anyone should go either-or, and the choices people make have to fit within budget, it is just that if having one strong light is THAT important, you might as well get it.

I've got four WL X3200, which are more powerful than I typically need... but why carry all that weight when I can do everything I need with a kit that takes up only 1/4 of my backpack?

Options are never a bad thing.

Oct 10 13 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Jakov Markovic

Maybe I'm just shooting differently, but I'll definitely look into this. smile

Oct 10 13 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jakov Markovic wrote:
Maybe I'm just shooting differently, but I'll definitely look into this. smile

It works for some people, not so well for others, but for me it's been awesome for location shoots. Especially since i can turn them down and have instant recycle while keeping a good power level.

Oct 10 13 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Did a bigger write-up on the bracket: http://shootingonabudget.com/cowboystud … h-bracket/

big_smile big_smile big_smile Just ordered 2 more big_smile big_smile big_smile

Oct 18 13 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

rickspix_uk

Southend-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom

Great article jay, and good to see the blog coming to life.

Oct 18 13 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Randall D

Helena, Alabama, US

-JAY- wrote:

I've got four WL X3200, which are more powerful than I typically need... but why carry all that weight when I can do everything I need with a kit that takes up only 1/4 of my backpack?

Options are never a bad thing.

Another advantage I am seeing here is some built-in redundancy.

If you were a mile away from your vehicle with a studio strobe and the head failed, the shoot may be over.

Same scenario with this 4-flash bracket; one fails, 3 are still available. The shoot continues.

Oct 19 13 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Randall D wrote:

Another advantage I am seeing here is some built-in redundancy.

If you were a mile away from your vehicle with a studio strobe and the head failed, the shoot may be over.

Same scenario with this 4-flash bracket; one fails, 3 are still available. The shoot continues.

And seeing as I usually pack 8 speedlites in my backpack, my redundancy has redundancy tongue

Oct 19 13 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

-JAY- wrote:

Please direct me to a 4lb studio light capable of f/10 through a modifier at ten feet, with a power source for $265.

That you can put out in water like I do and not have to worry about a bath

Oct 19 13 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

I've ordered the CowboyStudio bracket. 
Is it possible to connect all 4 flashes to the same radio trigger through Y-connectors, or am I risking some horrible interaction?

Oct 20 13 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Guss W wrote:
Is it possible to connect all 4 flashes to the same radio trigger through Y-connectors, or am I risking some horrible interaction?

I wouldn't see why it would cause a problem. Is optical an option? since they're so close thee's little to no chance of a misfire  - just put the trigger on one.

Oct 21 13 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Ian Brooks Photography

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada

Guss W wrote:

I fire four SB-26s off a single PW Plus II.  One Y-connector with 2 more Y-connectors inserted = 4 cords.

My other foursquare has 2 SB-800s and 2 SB-900s all fired off a second PW Plus II.

Oct 21 13 01:55 pm Link