Forums > Photography Talk > Jinbei Discovery 600

Photographer

Jon Owens - GB Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Anyone ever worked with one of these? I'm REALLY considering this for location work, where i don't want to carry around my speedo pack and head kit. It's a little too tedious without an assistant or two.

The things get's good reviews all around, but there aren't many people who seem to even know about it.

Mar 19 12 10:13 am Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

Got a JINBEI 1200 in the studio thats available for location work.Its one of my cheaper rental options,and whoever works with it for the first time,also wants to buy it."-))

Maybe that says lots of the unit on itself.

Mar 19 12 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Jon Owens - GB Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KOLMANS STUDIOS wrote:
Got a JINBEI 1200 in the studio thats available for location work.Its one of my cheaper rental options,and whoever works with it for the first time,also wants to buy it."-))

Maybe that says lots of the unit on itself.

thanks!

Mar 19 12 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

ManfredC

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I have one, but am planning to get the dc1200 in order to overpowee the sun.
I dun have much flash exp outdoor but i used it once and quite nice. I also got the ringflash with it but i think the color is not that "clean" maybe flashtube issue?

Mar 20 12 03:55 am Link

Photographer

The Full Frame

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I find the colour temperature changes with the power setting so you have to keep shooting grey cards for each power adjustment, you may put up with this but i'm fed up with it and will probably move to something else soon.

M.

Mar 20 12 10:52 am Link

Photographer

KOLMANS STUDIOS

Lüderitz, Karas, Namibia

I only had colour changes on one unit,and that was solved by changing the tube(still under warranty).

Also,we found,that the batteries that comes with the units,is not as good as the extras we bought.Why,i do not know.Same manufacturer,but i gues,whats inside,is whats actually counting.

Mar 20 12 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

kentam

Zhuhai, Guangdong, China

I use 3 set DC-600... if flash duration is not important for your work.

It's good and cheap... not big color shit at all.

Mar 20 12 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

ManfredC

Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China

I just wonder since the flashtube is 600ws i wonder can i replace it with a 600ws flashtube from say elinchrom to get more constant color temp, it looks to me the tubes are very similar, any thoughts?

Mar 20 12 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

RLFOTOS

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I may be going out to Hong Kong in August, can anyone tell me where can I buy one of these from Hong Kong? Cheers

Jun 04 12 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

kentam

Zhuhai, Guangdong, China

RLFOTOS wrote:
I may be going out to Hong Kong in August, can anyone tell me where can I buy one of these from Hong Kong? Cheers

http://www.yingkee.hk/ see them carry this product, but it is not list in their website.

Jul 07 12 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Brian Woods

Chester, England, United Kingdom

not used the 600, but i did do a shoot with it's little brother the 400, there was noticeable shifts in colour temp from shot to shot regardless of power change.

great little alternative to speedlites though for not much money.

Jul 07 12 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

I have the Lencarta branded version of the middle pack:
https://www.lightingrumours.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bp-history.jpg
No particular problems with it for the price except for it not having a glass protection dome over the flash tube in case that explodes and it does not like to work with a Wein Peanut slave.

ManfredC wrote:
I just wonder since the flashtube is 600ws i wonder can i replace it with a 600ws flashtube from say elinchrom to get more constant color temp, it looks to me the tubes are very similar, any thoughts?

Whilst the Elinchrom Quadra 'budget' ringflash and white diffuser are the same tooling as the Jinbei I'd be hesitant to swap components around.

Jul 07 12 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chester Nguyen

Hà Nội, Đồng bằng sông Hồng, Vietnam

Hi there. Just 1 question.
Can i get two 1200 heads to work on the DC-1200 pack? (1 would be 800ws and another at 400ws?)

Dec 12 14 03:22 am Link