Forums > General Industry > Models rate is to high without sounding rude

Photographer

Eye of the Yeti

Jessup, Maryland, US

Please be gentle this is my first attempt at this forum bit.

I'm a nice guy and I don't like to sound rude but some models try to charge rates that are on par with well established models whos ports show their worth, how can I explain this when I still may want to work with them but at a rate they may find offensive?

Apr 11 12 07:44 pm Link

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

If you have an idea of how much you are willing to pay someone, offer that up front instead of waiting to hear a rate that might be too high.

In the situation you are currently in, tell them you unfortunately can't afford their rate right now.

Apr 11 12 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Srefis

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Maybe
"Sorry that is out of my budget, I was leaning more to $??. I can include a print to sweeten the deal a little."

Apr 11 12 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Domaschuk

Naperville, Illinois, US

Augustine York wrote:
If you have an idea of how much you are willing to pay someone, offer that up front instead of waiting to hear a rate that might be too high.

In the situation you are currently in, tell them you unfortunately can't afford their rate right now.

+1

I've had models reply (who I've really wanted to work with) and quote rates that are just too high. I'd love to pay them the rate they ask but I then do three things:
1. Politely and in a friendly tone, let them know that their rate is not in my budget
2. Tell them what my budget is.
3. Thank them (sincerely) for replying.

More often than not, if the model is interested in working with me, she will alter her rates or figure out other types of compensation so that we can find a way to work together.

All those people whose first response is "Next!" often miss out on working with some great models.

Of course, if the model won't adjust her rates, it's either because she can (and is) getting those rates and/or doesn't want to work with me.

Most people (photographers AND models) who have been doing this a while realize that we won't always get our preferred/desired rates.

Apr 11 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

eekimelphoto

Sarasota, Florida, US

Eye of the Yeti wrote:

I'm a nice guy and I don't like to sound rude but some models try to charge rates that are on par with well established models whos ports show their worth, how can I explain this when I still may want to work with them but at a rate they may find offensive?

If that's your budget it's not offensive. Yes they may say no or counter but don't be offended. Y that either.

Apr 11 12 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Never, and I repeat never tell a model her rates are too high.  It is really none of your business and it is a totally inappropriate comment.

If there is a model who quotes you a rate you feel is inappropriate make her a counter-offer.  "Hello miss model, I would love to work with you, but the rate you quoted me is a bit out of my budget.  Would you consider working for X dollars?"

The model will take, decline or make a counter-offer.  Just make it non-judgemental and don't criticize her.  Chastising her is the best way to drive her away.

Apr 11 12 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

Augustine York wrote:

Yup. Offer what you can. Most models are willing to negotiate.

Apr 11 12 07:54 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just say you don't have the budget for that, counter...should be no offense taken.

Apr 11 12 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When a model quotes me a number that is either out of budget or out of line with what I think she is worth based on her portfolio I simply offer what I think is fair/within budget.  She can accept or walk away.

I know it can seem a bit awkward if she quotes $400 for a four shoot and you only think she's worth $100.  You might want to counter offer outlining your original budget, and perhaps sweeten it a bit.  Or give your lowest number and see if she returns a counter-offer.

Just be careful how you word it.  Try something like:

"Thank you for your rates, however, I had only planned on spending $100 for this shoot.  I could possibly go as high as $150 if you are interested.  If not, I look forward to working with you in the future when I can offer more.  All the best."

Just my $0.02

Scott

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

Eye of the Yeti wrote:

tell them your budget is $....  and ask if they would be able to work with that.

Photographer

Gloria Budiman

New York, New York, US

It's so high based on the assumption that you may use the work for commercial purpose, with your income more than tenfold of what you paid the models for shoot. But again I may be wrong.

Apr 11 12 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

ei Total Productions wrote:
Never, and I repeat never tell a model her rates are too high.  It is really none of your business and it is a totally inappropriate comment.

If there is a model who quotes you a rate you feel is inappropriate make her a counter-offer.  "Hello miss model, I would love to work with you, but the rate you quoted me is a bit out of my budget.  Would you consider working for X dollars?"

The model will take, decline or make a counter-offer.  Just make it non-judgemental and don't criticize her.  Chastising her is the best way to drive her away.

Alan, I have never had any success with that method, they always get offended and indignant. I simply say "I'm sorry that is beyond my budget- thank you for your time."

Apr 11 12 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Miss Havisham Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

A high rate..... is sometimes a polite no.

Apr 11 12 08:00 pm Link

Model

Tristin Huntamer

Denver, Colorado, US

Tell them that you cannot afford their rate, and counter offer with a rate that you can afford. If they feel that it is worth their time then they will take the offer. If not then move on to the next model.

Apr 11 12 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

toesup

Grand Junction, Colorado, US

Be kind, but precise.. pointing out that their portfolio is not up to the same standard as models that have been doing modeling for many years (have the portfolio to back up their experience) and can therefore charge $$$'s for their time..

You could also point them in the direction of this MM article..
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … nce-models

Apr 11 12 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

when you message models tell them how much you will pay them

be prepared to offer something to sweeten the pie like... an actual print. I know, I know, novel concept.

but nobody gives prints anymore, so it has tangible value

Apr 11 12 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Greenly

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:
Just say you don't have the budget for that, counter...should be no offense taken.

You sound like you get that one a lot.

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

toesup wrote:
Be kind, but precise.. pointing out that their portfolio is not up to the same standard as models that have been doing modeling for many years (have the portfolio to back up their experience) and can therefore charge $$$'s for their time..

Yeah... no.

Just politely tell them their rates are out of your budget. They didn't ask for a critique of their work, it's not your place to give one.

Photographer

Eye of the Yeti

Jessup, Maryland, US

I know a polite no when I see it. But this model contacted me unsolicited.

Apr 11 12 08:12 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

This is why I like having an agent. THEY set the rate which is dictated by the union, so if you have an issue with it you can take it up with them and I don't have to be bothered with.

That and accountability...

Apr 11 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Eye of the Yeti wrote:

Then no need for a reply......

Apr 11 12 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Eye of the Yeti wrote:

Ahhhh-
In that case try "Thank you for thinking of me however at this time I can offer you $X.00 for Y hrs.  Would that be agreeable?"

Apr 11 12 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Tell them how much you'll pay - don't ask them how much they'd like to receive.

Apr 11 12 08:23 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

I've had people email me when they see I'm coming to their area...some say, "My budget is so and so" and describe the concept, length and details. Those I appreciate more than beating around the bush.

I have adjusted/accepted shoots based on that directness. If it's not too far out of my normal rate. Some just send really low amounts hoping, and when I reply with my normal rate, they still accept it. I've had the same rates for 3 years and stay booked off it because I don't change just because. I don't increase if someone has work I don't like, I just decline.

I see some "known traveling models" on this site, that have their rates posted. And I stay about $15-$25 less per hour, I stay booked and know I have more publications and quality shots than most of them.

So always email and say it's what you can afford...and be set on it. I hate negotiations honestly. I end up doing it about 80% of the shoots I take. Just email and say what you can do, it works or not. Or do a casting, the ones that it works for, will contact you and say they want it.

Apr 11 12 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

ei Total Productions wrote:

NewBoldPhoto wrote:
Alan, I have never had any success with that method, they always get offended and indignant. I simply say "I'm sorry that is beyond my budget- thank you for your time."

Have you ever had any good experiences saying to a model:  "You know what, you are inexperienced, have no portfolio, your rates are a joke?"

I don't disagree with you.  I think the OP will have a better chance with a model if he doesn't flame her for her rates.  I do agree though.  There are models that just won't negotiate.

Apr 11 12 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

I don't worry about what a model's posted rates might be.  Most post higher rates that what they are willing to or used to working for.  Once I had gotten a reasonable amount of experience working with models, I always now take the initiative of letting the model know that "My budget can afford "X" $ per hour for "Y" hours of work.  I have never had a model turn me down.  After all, if they accept your offer and conditions, both sides are happy.

Apr 11 12 08:30 pm Link

Model

Tristin Huntamer

Denver, Colorado, US

E_R_E_K_A wrote:
I've had people email me when they see I'm coming to their area...some say, "My budget is so and so" and describe the concept, length and details. Those I appreciate more than beating around the bush.

I have adjusted/accepted shoots based on that directness. If it's not too far out of my normal rate. Some just send really low amounts hoping, and when I reply with my normal rate, they still accept it. I've had the same rates for 3 years and stay booked off it because I don't change just because. I don't increase if someone has work I don't like, I just decline.

I see some "known traveling models" on this site, that have their rates posted. And I stay about $15-$25 less per hour, I stay booked and know I have more publications and quality shots than most of them.

So always email and say it's what you can afford...and be set on it. I hate negotiations honestly. I end up doing it about 80% of the shoots I take. Just email and say what you can do, it works or not. Or do a casting, the ones that it works for, will contact you and say they want it.

+1

Apr 11 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Through Elizabeths Eyes

Yelm, Washington, US

Eye of the Yeti wrote:

Either don't reply, or tell her thank you, but you don't have any paying projects at the moment.

Apr 11 12 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lou Angeles

San Francisco, California, US

What is the average per hour of a decent looking model (low-profile) and a high-profile one anyway???

I had offer these rates before from models:

$35 clothes, $50 bikini, $70 lingerie, $100 nude implied (per hour)

are these reasonable rates or high??? please help! smile

Apr 11 12 08:59 pm Link

Model

Ereka Marcelino

Kihei, Hawaii, US

LuweeAngeles wrote:
What is the average per hour of a decent looking model (low-profile) and a high-profile one anyway???

I had offer these rates before from models:

$35 clothes, $50 bikini, $70 lingerie, $100 nude implied (per hour)

are these reasonable rates or high??? please help! smile

I don't give my rates out unless I'm actually talking to someone about setting a shoot that's realistic. But I am going to reply here. I don't understand all those different levels based on skin..

My rates per hour: $75 beauty/fashion, $125 art nudes, $300 half day (up to 4 hours), and $500 full day (up to 8 hours)

That's lower than most traveling models I know. And I don't adjust those rates based on area I am going to, nor if I personally like their work or not.

I give the rate if I'm willing to work with that person, and I decline if it doesn't work for any reason. Area and city average doesn't matter to me, I book based on what I stay being paid at when I travel.

I stay booked on those rates, and I've been to over 40 states and the same different countries. So I don't think it's too much for an "experienced" model with strong work.

That's the big thing for photographers...is this model going to bring you what you need? Do they have strong work with varied photographers? Do they have a range in poses and looks? All those should be answered before asking any model to shoot.

Apr 11 12 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Epicos

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Srefis Limited wrote:
Maybe
"Sorry that is out of my budget, I was leaning more to $??. I can include a print to sweeten the deal a little."

mine is pretty much the same, i just state it is outside my budget and leave it at that unless i really want to shoot with them, then i will include my budget. 

Also, I only ask for rates when the model specifically states in her profile to ask for rates.  Otherwise I give my budget with my original shoot request.

Apr 11 12 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the Yeti

Jessup, Maryland, US

I appreciate everyone's feedback both models and photogs, you're giving me gold nuggets here. I'm always self conscious about sounding rude and getting a models perspective really helps.

Apr 12 12 04:03 am Link

Photographer

TheNormGallerys

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Allan wrote:
Tell them how much you'll pay - don't ask them how much they'd like to receive.

just post your rates up front!

Pin-Up in Glamour, Swimwear, & Lingerie $40.00 per hour.
Semi-Nude in Lingerie, Swimwear, & Glamour, $70.00 per hour.
Totally Naked in Sexy Glamour, Sheer Lingerie & Erotic Nude $100.00 per hour.

Apr 12 12 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Gloria Budiman wrote:
It's so high based on the assumption that you may use the work for commercial purpose, with your income more than tenfold of what you paid the models for shoot. But again I may be wrong.

Maybe in some cases, but I haven't found it common for art models to base rates on the expected revenue at all.

Apr 12 12 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

toesup wrote:

In general, that's not a good idea.  I've done something like that, but it's still not a good idea.

And, frankly, "modeling for many years" isn't the point.  Looks, styles, and skill, yes.

Apr 12 12 04:15 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Eye of the Yeti wrote:

What someone else quotes for their own rates is none of your business.  You get to accept, decline, or make a counteroffer, but other than that, there is no need for you to stick your nose into their business.

Y'see -- you don't really get to set anyone's rates, including your own rates.  The marketplace / universe sets the rates.  If Sally asks for $1,000 an hour...
   ...  if she gets paid $1,000 an hour, she's right to ask for it, and
   ...  if she doesn't get $1,000 an hour, she'll either lower her rate or give up,
either way, problem solved.

So, don't worry about it.  If she ain't worth it to you, find someone else.  Other than that, this "problem" will take care of itself.

Apr 12 12 08:14 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

if the model leads with a price that is too high you can respond with a counter-offer. they might ignore you (or even flame you) but so what? some of them might say yes.

if you are going first in the negotiation then just give them your best offer, take it or leave it. don't get hung up on any one particular model. that ways lies ruin.

Apr 12 12 08:58 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Personally almost all my projects the clients have a budget for models, take it or leave it sort of thing.  I personally like the idea and would do the same even if it was a personal project or something like that.

Apr 12 12 09:08 am Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Augustine York wrote:

pretty much on key! big_smile

Apr 12 12 09:11 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

in the past i've paid the posted rates of traveling nude models (they are awesome by the way) and that has typically been $75-$125/hour (and sometimes i gave them rides as well). just depends on how much you want to shoot with them i suppose. some models are somewhat negotiable (i had one offer a 10% returning customer discount).

experienced models are great for newbies because they handle the posing so the photographer can focus on the technical stuff. plus they probably know more about lighting than the photographer.

if i were wealthy, i think that shooting the traveling models would be a great hobby.

LuweeAngeles wrote:

Apr 12 12 09:22 am Link