Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Lightroom is part of the Adobe Cloud deal now

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33594

Los Angeles, California, US

Adobe is making it more tempting to sign up for its Creative Cloud service.

The company on Tuesday announced that it is adding its Lightroom 4 software for editing and cataloging photos to Creative Cloud. Subscribers will now be able to download and use the app as part of their subscription.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406335,00.asp

Jun 28 12 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Posts: 13345

Houston, Texas, US

I am having a hard time understanding how this creative cloud "service" benefits me.

Jun 28 12 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

STL-After-Dark

Posts: 4383

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Digitoxin wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding how this creative cloud "service" benefits me.

That's why they're trying to sweeten the pot, your sentiment is shared by lots of potential consumers hmm

Jun 28 12 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Posts: 4177

Brooklyn, New York, US

Digitoxin wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding how this creative cloud "service" benefits me.

It doesn't benefit you. Why would Adobe do something that would benefit you (us)? It only benefits Adobe (and possibly broadband providers as people realize they need more internet speed to open files that used to be on their harddrives).

Jun 28 12 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Posts: 63192

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Digitoxin wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding how this creative cloud "service" benefits me.

If you use several of the programs, paying $50/month may end up being cost effective.

The CS6 Master Collection is $2600.  At $50/month, you'll break even in about 4 and a half years. 

If you just use Photoshop, it doesn't make sense.

Jun 28 12 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

BillSparksPhotography

Posts: 375

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Digitoxin wrote:
I am having a hard time understanding how this creative cloud "service" benefits me.

With Creative Cloud, for 50$/month, you get 2 copies of the Entire CS 6 Master Collection plus Lightroom. That's roughly a $5500 value. Plus, you get unlimited upgrades for the lifetime of your subscription on both copies, that's roughly another 1200$/year in value.

If you are a customer who buys the Master Suite and Lightroom and has 2 computers (e.g 1 laptop and 1 desktop). Creative cloud is a tremendous value! Not to mention the cloud storage that enables you to move seamlessly from one machine or device to another.

If you have only 1 computer and all you use is Photoshop and Lightroom. It's not such a great deal.

Jun 28 12 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

Posts: 3171

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

The basic idea is your renting a furnished apartment very cheaply. You wanna own your home that's ok too.

Jun 28 12 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8622

Plainview, New York, US

Being a full CS owner (PC license) Adobe gave us the deal for 30 bucks a month for the first year and I decided to go for it. Now, I use both PC and Mac and with the exception of LR I could only use my Adobe software on my PC... Now I can use everything on both my desktop and laptop. I was considering buying a PS CS6 Mac license on top of my PC license...

Jun 29 12 08:56 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Posts: 22622

Salem, Oregon, US

i'm using the cloud and noticed that yesterday. but what happens if all my photos are in a v4 database and i stop paying on my cloud subscription? plus what happened to the fill slider? sheesh.

for me the cloud works great at $30, not sure when it goes up to $50 after one year.

Jun 29 12 09:15 am Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8622

Plainview, New York, US

I needed to do some audio editing the other day and didn't have a program to do it and it occurred to me that Adobe has to have something... I downloaded Audition CS6, took me a few minutes to figure out the interface and I did what I had to do.... Wasn't a bad deal...

Jun 29 12 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Robert McCadden

Posts: 171

Kenmore, Washington, US

I just use photoshop and LR.  I signed up for Subscription service for ps ($20/mo) and bought LR.  I find the subscription service to be quite attractive.  I could never afford ps before the subscription option came around.  I did the math and after you figure in the cost of upgrading the subscription is cheaper for the first 2-3 years.  After that buying the product straight out will save you $.

Jun 29 12 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

James Ogilvie

Posts: 6643

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BillSparksPhotography wrote:
With Creative Cloud, for 50$/month, you get 2 copies of the Entire CS 6 Master Collection plus Lightroom. That's roughly a $5500 value. Plus, you get unlimited upgrades for the lifetime of your subscription on both copies, that's roughly another 1200$/year in value.

If you are a customer who buys the Master Suite and Lightroom and has 2 computers (e.g 1 laptop and 1 desktop). Creative cloud is a tremendous value! Not to mention the cloud storage that enables you to move seamlessly from one machine or device to another.

If you have only 1 computer and all you use is Photoshop and Lightroom. It's not such a great deal.

Two copies doesn't double the value since Adobe allows the fully purchased products to be installed on two machines. 

They are just extending that license to this rental model.

Jun 29 12 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Orcatek Photography

Posts: 1689

Tempe, Arizona, US

It helps me with cash flow.  I know what it is all the time.  No guessing when the next upgrade will come nor what product I might need.

As far as photos being in a V4 Database and stopping your subscription.  At that point you can always buy standalone version.

Not a great deal for some, but for me it is great.

Jun 29 12 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8622

Plainview, New York, US

James Ogilvie wrote:
Two copies doesn't double the value since Adobe allows the fully purchased products to be installed on two machines. 

They are just extending that license to this rental model.

It does if you're using both a Mac and a PC....

Jun 29 12 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kaostika Studios

Posts: 267

New York, New York, US

the cost of upgrading is a several 100.  I can get all this programs for 30 a month. that is a great deal.  I cant afford to buy illustrator and Indesign.  But Now I can use them and get more work.

Jun 29 12 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

James Ogilvie

Posts: 6643

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ACPhotography wrote:

It does if you're using both a Mac and a PC....

Not really.

Would someone really shell out double the price of the software to run it on two separate platforms?

Or would it make more sense to spend a fraction of that outlay to get a duplicate of one the machines you already have and use a single license to install on both?

Jun 29 12 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8622

Plainview, New York, US

James Ogilvie wrote:

Not really.

Would someone really shell out double the price of the software to run it on two separate platforms?

Or would it make more sense to spend a fraction of that outlay to get a duplicate of one the machines you already have and use a single license to install on both?

I refuse to go completely Mac, my work machine is a PC but I like my Macbook over a PC laptop... I've priced out buying a Mac Pro that's comparable the the PC I built and we're looking at around 8 grand!

Jun 29 12 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9461

Santa Barbara, California, US

I've been a Ps and Lr user for years, any new upgrade costs are manageable. The cloud versions doesn't make sense financially and practically for a user like me.

I'll stick with my hard drive installed software and one price updates that basically hold for two years at least, I don't feel like depending on bandwidth and finding internet connection to use MY licensed adobe software.

Jun 29 12 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33594

Los Angeles, California, US

Art Silva Photography wrote:
I don't feel like depending on bandwidth and finding internet connection to use MY licensed adobe software.

Just fyi - the cloud stuff actually is installed on and runs from your local machine. It just checks your subscription once a month.

Jun 29 12 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

BillSparksPhotography

Posts: 375

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jun 30 12 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Posts: 11986

Costa Mesa, California, US

James Ogilvie wrote:
Two copies doesn't double the value since Adobe allows the fully purchased products to be installed on two machines. 

They are just extending that license to this rental model.

One caveat is that on the cloud you can have one be a PC and the Other A MAC. I had to buy a cross platform upgrade to the creative suite to do this with my hard copy. But I still like owning rather than renting. Of course if you don't have the complete suit and need a program for a special project I think it could be viable. And no up front large sum of $$ required. But when you stop paying you stop using it too. I rarely buy ever upgrade (except for Lightroom) so that devalues the subscription for me. Even $30 a month was not viable for me.

Jun 30 12 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9461

Santa Barbara, California, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Just fyi - the cloud stuff actually is installed on and runs from your local machine. It just checks your subscription once a month.

I stand corrected, thanks.
But my point still stands for my use at least with the $29.99 per month when I already own my PsCS5 and Lr3 license.
I have no use or need to upgrade at this point to PsCS6/Lr4 especially with a monthly expense when solid upgrades would cost less in the long run. My last upgrade to what I have now was only $120 total, that's only four months worth with the new plan, no thanks, my non-cloud version is forever and payed for.
As for as the complete suit, nah I don't use any other programs offered but I can see it be beneficial for the new Adobe users.

Adobe is just trying to find more ways to get into peoples pockets, that's all.

Jul 04 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Posts: 33594

Los Angeles, California, US

Art Silva Photography wrote:

I stand corrected, thanks.
But my point still stands for my use at least with the $29.99 per month when I already own my PsCS5 and Lr3 license.
I have no use or need to upgrade at this point to PsCS6/Lr4 especially with a monthly expense when solid upgrades would cost less in the long run. My last upgrade to what I have now was only $120 total, that's only four months worth with the new plan, no thanks, my non-cloud version is forever and payed for.
As for as the complete suit, nah I don't use any other programs offered but I can see it be beneficial for the new Adobe users.

Adobe is just trying to find more ways to get into peoples pockets, that's all.

I did it to check out all the new stuff at 29.99/mo (intro rate for a year) mainly because it doesn't take my CS5.5 software away from me. I can run them concurrently, and if I drop the cloud I still have my 5.5

Jul 04 12 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

SillyEddy

Posts: 2246

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

It makes sense for those who have huge workflows and have a broad field of expertise. For a photographer just wanting a couple of programs, it makes little sense. For design companies and image professionals, it becomes worthwhile. Furthermore, the guarantee of the latest edition means that you won't become outdated.


That said, I wish there was a buy-back scheme - If you pay the $50 a month, I believe you lose the software license after your payments finish. If it worked more like a loan ($50 a month, then keep the software after you've fully paid for it [plus interest]) then I think it would have much broader scope. People who need just a couple of pieces of software would be able to get it, but wouldn't get the upgrade features without additional costs. I'd like some of the more basic creation suite programs, but it's not cheap to fork out all of it at once, and it's too expensive to use their cloud schemes.

Jul 04 12 04:06 pm Link