This thread was locked on 2012-07-05 11:15:32
Forums > MM Market > Photo Gear > CANON 20-35mm f/2.8 L for SALE

Photographer

Christophe Harris

Rugby, England, United Kingdom

Great little lens for sale (UK only)..

This is a classic lens, the Canon EF 20-35mm f2.8L wide angle zoom lens, produced up to the mid 90s.  A wonderful, pin-sharp lens ... here's how the online camera guru Ken Rockwell describes it:

'The Canon EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L is a tough little hunk of an all-metal lens that feels great. The precise metal zoom ring flicks with a fingertip, and the whole lens feels like solid metal because it is.  The Canon EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L is optically as good as today's newest Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II and Canon 17-40mm f/4L, but smaller, better made and much less expensive to buy used.  This Canon EF 20-35mm f/2.8 L was Canon's first professional wide-angle zoom. Canon was trying to take the professional market away from Nikon with their new EOS cameras and EF lenses when this lens was introduced. This lens was built a few steps better than any of Nikon's autofocus offerings. Canon saw the future in autofocus, while Nikon thought pros didn't care and offered mostly amateur AF products. Nikon had absolutely no professional AF ultrawide zooms available for four years after Canon introduced this lens, and this lens is still much more nicely made than Nikon's 20-35mm f/2.8 of 1993.  Mechanics are better than today's lenses, optics are the same and the price is much lower.'

I shall be sorry to see it go, but I've run out of space in my camera bag and something has to give.  The lens is in good condition for its age.  There is a very slight "wobble" between the two sections of the barrel, but I have had it inspected by a professional dealer who says there is no effect on the operation of the lens or the images it produces.  The lens hood has a few marks, but for a piece of kit that's at least 17 years old, it is in fine fettle.

Selling for £370 ono

I will post the lens by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Chris

Jul 05 12 09:25 am Link