Photographer

tosk

Hi all, I'd like to improve the technique to "cartoonize" pics. Michael Rosen is great at it. Ok, I know he has also gorgeous stylist and backgrounds, but I'd like to start. Someone has some ideas where to study (also paying)?
Here's an example, but there are many
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110628/02/4e09a247dca38_m.jpg
Thanks

Jul 16 12 11:35 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Very careful and selective shadow and highlights (or similar) and HDR toning adjustments should get you started. Then you'll need some local contrast and/or dodge and burn and sharpening and background replacements.

The adjustments you need to experiment with are very easy to mess up so be careful.

To make the HDR adjustment tool work you need to make a flat duplicate of your image. When you run the tool first make the saturation zero and then play around. You can make some weird tone and detail maps that look similar to his work. Once you get the look you want you can copy it to the original document, set to luminosity and mask. HDR adj. creates an 8 bit image keep that in mind.

Oor he may just be using plugins tongue

Jul 17 12 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Pantelis Palios

Maldon, England, United Kingdom

I'm not too sure what you mean by cartoonize? I can't see anything that looks like a cartoon in your post. I am a Cartoonist ( www.pantelispalios.com ) so I'm sure that I could help whether with pen and paper or with a photograph.

Jul 17 12 01:41 am Link

Photographer

tosk

Koray wrote:
Very careful and selective shadow and highlights (or similar) and HDR toning adjustments should get you started. Then you'll need some local contrast and/or dodge and burn and sharpening and background replacements.

The adjustments you need to experiment with are very easy to mess up so be careful.

To make the HDR adjustment tool work you need to make a flat duplicate of your image. When you run the tool first make the saturation zero and then play around. You can make some weird tone and detail maps that look similar to his work. Once you get the look you want you can copy it to the original document, set to luminosity and mask. HDR adj. creates an 8 bit image keep that in mind.

Oor he may just be using plugins tongue

thanks!
but...which plugin could be? I know only Nikon digital fx for photoshop
could be some plugins working for me?
thanks again
byez

Jul 17 12 02:14 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

tosk wrote:
thanks!
but...which plugin could be? I know only Nikon digital fx for photoshop
could be some plugins working for me?
thanks again
byez

even if he is using plugins for shadows and details etc. just naming them will not help you if the other stuff I wrote doesnt make sense.

Jul 17 12 02:29 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

here...read the parts about the model:
http://www.psdbox.com/tutorials/the-pol … -tutorial/

actually this place has alot of tutorials:
http://www.psdbox.com/category/tutorials/

Jul 17 12 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Oscar S

Chicago, Illinois, US

The sample image looks far off from any cartoon image....it doesn't even look like a painted effect.

Jul 17 12 02:53 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Oscar S wrote:
The sample image looks far off from any cartoon image....it doesn't even look like a painted effect.

thats very kind and helpful of you to point that out Sherlock. Any other usefull tips you may want to add?

Jul 17 12 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

that's not "cartoonish" in the least. That is good photography!!! and probably a 5D or better with expert lighting.
Shooting in RAW with some fine tweeking can do this ... no problem.

You can't make chicken salad with chicken shit.

Jul 17 12 03:01 am Link

Photographer

devpics

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Some things I have done is to make a lith image (very high contrast b/w) and then matte this over the original photo so that it looks like an inked image, and then manipulate the colour and contrast so that it looks like a comic book illustration. Another trick is to put comic book "skin"  ( the red and white dot screen which make up a color comic image) on the lith photo, this is also good if you want the Roy Lichenstien pop art effect

ie https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#28631597

Jul 17 12 03:03 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Rebel Photo wrote:
that's not "cartoonish" in the least. That is good photography!!! and probably a 5D or better with expert lighting.
Shooting in RAW with some fine tweeking can do this ... no problem.

You can't make chicken salad with chicken shit.

Thanks for your insight but have you ever seen any of his RAWs? here if you havent:
http://perfectmuse.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4trms7

although I agree the photography is good it takes a bit more than RAW tweaking.

Jul 17 12 03:07 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

devpics wrote:
Some things I have done is to make a lith image (very high contrast b/w) and then matte this over the original photo so that it looks like an inked image, and then manipulate the colour and contrast so that it looks like a comic book illustration. Another trick is to put comic book "skin"  ( the red and white dot screen which make up a color comic image) on the lith photo, this is also good if you want the Roy Lichenstien pop art effect

ie https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 7#28631597

how could you possibly think that image looks similar to what op is asking?

Jul 17 12 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Checking out Michael Rosen port shows variation on the look many ways to get it a simple way to get a similar is by using a product like topaz adjust or the like to get the colors and pop and the rest is artistic retouch. A similar look to the skin can happen I think using fs and then surface blurring a copy of the low layer and set opacity to taste. Oh well that's my take some what lol.

Jul 17 12 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Anthony-Ray

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

The first step is blemish removal. Remove anything that pulls focus from your intended point of interest. Then you can smooth the skin *slightly* with the blur tool. D&B where needed to enhance the existing light, etc..

Those skin tones & textures can be achieved a few different ways, after removing the blemishes.

My preferred method is by masking multiple layers and playing with the gaussian blur to smooth things out. Avoid the eyes and anything with detail and handle those later with an unsharp mask.

If you use gaussian blur on an overlay layer(which I recommend for this effect), the skin becomes very smooth and cartoon like, but the colors will be way off. Just simply adjust contrast/vibrance/levels and  you should be able to find a skin tone that fits your scene.(adjust the layer beneath the overlay layer first.)

Be sure to feather the edges well to hide your lines.

I have a few similar examples in my port. Not quite as good as the above, but generally the same effect.

18+ (sort of)
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27770764

If this is what  you're looking for, shoot me a msg and I'll put together a screencast of the workflow.

Jul 17 12 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Oscar S wrote:

Koray wrote:
thats very kind and helpful of you to point that out Sherlock. Any other usefull tips you may want to add?

I have to agree 100% - the sample image doesn't look like any definition of cartoon that I've ever seen.  I think the OP needs to find a different word to define what he's looking to do...then I think people here could more likely help him.

When I hear "cartoonize", something like this comes to mind:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120717/06/50056cf5ce84d.jpg

Jul 17 12 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Sergei Rodionov

Dallas, Texas, US

Julian Marsalis wrote:
Checking out Michael Rosen port shows variation on the look many ways to get it a simple way to get a similar is by using a product like topaz adjust or the like to get the colors and pop and the rest is artistic retouch. A similar look to the skin can happen I think using fs and then surface blurring a copy of the low layer and set opacity to taste. Oh well that's my take some what lol.

Riiiiiiight. If it were just a push of a button and plugin - why do you think not a lot of people got it in their ports to improve quality of really really dull stuff?
There is no "Rosen-ise" button. Nor some magic plugin. Nor magic action set.

---

To OP: you can attend Michael's workshops and ask him in person. He runs them every now and then, as far as i can recall.

But general answer is - its
a) on per picture basis
b.1) much of it done by having good understanding of light
b.2) good makeup
c) and of course its done by good understanding of processing and having own style developed.

But seriously. Just contact him and ask for next workshop. He wont bite yer head off, i swear wink

Jul 17 12 07:29 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

I too am confused as I don't see anything cartoonish going on. Cartoon filters generally make a pastel painted look with less transition colors and heavy bolded lines.

https://konstantkarma.smugmug.com/Architecture/Marshall-5-31-12/i-HpcstgZ/0/M/P53130792sm-M.jpg

This is a cartoon layer overlayed the original photo.

Jul 17 12 09:15 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

KonstantKarma wrote:
I too am confused as I don't see anything cartoonish going on. Cartoon filters generally make a pastel painted look with less transition colors and heavy bolded lines.

Me neither but I can see the image he posted too and that clears it for me. I cant understand how you guys cant heh tongue

Jul 17 12 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Cartoonish? No, it's more like a painted effect look.

Rosen has been a favorite in my list for me to study. I have tried to emulate such effect but without much success. Though I have not spent 24/7 to do so I must admit. I would like to see someone who has actually and successfully replicate such look before all the talk of techniques. Cuz I would really like to know actual techniques.

Jul 17 12 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Julian Marsalis

Austin, Texas, US

Jul 17 12 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Extreme Photo

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I can't find anything in Michael Rosens portfolio that remotely looks like Ren and Stimpy, or even Johnny Quest.

Where are you watching your cartoons at???

Jul 17 12 12:26 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Chuckarelei wrote:
Rosen has been a favorite in my list for me to study. I have tried to emulate such effect but without much success. Though I have not spent 24/7 to do so I must admit. I would like to see someone who has actually and successfully replicate such look before all the talk of techniques. Cuz I would really like to know actual techniques.

there are 2 images in your portfolio that are a bit there with Rosen's value wise but you made different artistic choices and overall worse processing.
You are actually kinda close to figure it out.

Jul 17 12 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

OP, do you mean that you want an image to have a painting like effect?

Liker this or? I'm sorta confused by the example as well but, while not a cartoon, i'm wondering if this is what OP is after or?:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 3#21396139

Jul 17 12 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

tosk

Thenk you for replies, sorry for my delay, but very busy this period.
Saying the truth I contacted Michael Rosen in the past, also I was ready to pay for lessons, but really no replies from him. Maybe coz I live in Europe?

Jul 21 12 12:22 am Link

Retoucher

VigarLunaris

Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany

Hmm intresting that a question about "howto" .... will become a discussion about the topic *confused*

http://vigar.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4fjf9v
http://vigar.deviantart.com/gallery/32936125#/d4fb3xj

To create such effect you have to

1) take a normal Photography ( whatever at you'r stock or mind ) -> but notice the image should got the "look" to get a painted onces!
2) Cut the Mainobject clearly to a new layer
3) Blur the image ( new clear cut layer ) / gaussian blur works best
4) Redo this 3 or 4 Times ( every time a new layer! )

5) Changing the blends ( so the new clear layers will "soften" the original onces )
6) change the color apperance ( using histogram or Curves )

7) Play around until you've got the effect you've looking for smile

8) At the end using high pass to get sharpness where needed.

This is a simple blending change with some lineart done to get the painted effect onto the picture.

You've got to play a little but to understand how blending + curves works together and be really clear @ you'r works ... i've taken a look at michaels gallery and saw a lot of images there Artifacts of background has been not cut away - so you have grey lines at a red background.

You could get diffrent styles if you want but this are also some filtering tricks.

So everything you need as technique is clearly written here : http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop- … fects.html

Download the PSD file this will help you to understand the task!

Jul 27 12 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Daniele Burza

Milan, Lombardy, Italy

that "almost-like painterly effect", after thousand experiments, topics i created, answers from everyone, it's 50% done by a simple thing: noise reduction.

with large files, do a strong noise reduction but with a low level of preserve details too (depends on what you want). after that do your favourite sharpening and next add a 3% (or more) of gaussian monochromatic noise. Add this as the last thing to do in your workflow.

the more shadows/lights are in (natural and/or painted with d&b), and more tonal contrast is active, the better is the result. so play with everything you know, like d&b, curves, tonal mappings, etc.

enjoy my english :S

Aug 03 12 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Fredrik Hedlund

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

A rather usual response from people looking at this image hanging in our studio is that it looks "painted", "cartoonish" or "how much PS did you use in that one". People have such strange ideas.

It´s perfect skin, makeupartist, lightning, fullframesensor and most important D&B in post using curves for highlights/shadow/midtone etc.

http://fhfoto.se/content/Copyright_Foto … large.html

Aug 03 12 12:42 pm Link

Model

outwiththeold

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

freddah wrote:
A rather usual response from people looking at this image hanging in our studio is that it looks "painted", "cartoonish" or "how much PS did you use in that one". People have such strange ideas.

It´s perfect skin, makeupartist, lightning, fullframesensor and most important D&B in post using curves for highlights/shadow/midtone etc.

http://fhfoto.se/content/Copyright_Foto … large.html

That is in no way even close to what the OP posted or even comparable to the same level of quality!

Aug 04 12 02:06 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

AshleyDay wrote:
That is in no way even close to what the OP posted or even comparable to the same level of quality!

One day I'm going to get brigged cause of one of those and I think you are the only one who can understand me around here big_smile

Aug 04 12 02:08 pm Link