Forums > Photography Talk > Any good, free time lapse software out there?

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I'm trying to get familiar with time lapse photography and I thought the ViewNX2 software from Nikon, which came with my camera, had some way of doing that.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out how to put a series of photos together on it. 

I know Quicktime 7 has a way of doing it, but it's only in the pro (paid) version.  Can anyone recommend a good, free, downloadable program I can use to edit this?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 23 12 01:18 am Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
I'm trying to get familiar with time lapse photography and I thought the ViewNX2 software from Nikon, which came with my camera, had some way of doing that.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out how to put a series of photos together on it. 

I know Quicktime 7 has a way of doing it, but it's only in the pro (paid) version.  Can anyone recommend a good, free, downloadable program I can use to edit this?

Thanks in advance.

Well for image capture and setting up the time laps there is sofortbild http://www.sofortbildapp.com/ which is free but you need a mac or from Nikon you can use Camera Control Pro2.

I use Final Cut Pro X which is over 300 dollars.

Sep 23 12 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

The quickest and easiest is Picasa.  The problem with picasa though is there is no control over codec or quality.

You can also use ffmpeg which is a "dos" style encoder. This is very customizable, especially when combined with avisynth. Let me know if you are curious, I have some batch scripts for renaming images to make this process easier.

When I do time lapses I set the camera for half the frame rate i want and use image motion interpolation to fill in the missing frames.  Saves 50% physical wear and tear and in most cases is difficult to tell.   Unless frame to frame has drastic changes.

Sep 23 12 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Nature Coast Lightworks

Tampa, Florida, US

Edited. I'll pay more attention next time.

jf

Sep 23 12 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Extrosy

He's looking to process the pictures he's already taken, not to control the camera.

Sep 23 12 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Extrosy wrote:
He's looking to process the pictures he's already taken, not to control the camera.

In which case he might give this freeware a try - PhotoLapse 3

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/ 

Sep 23 12 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have used virtualdub for timelapse before.  It is free and pretty easy to use.

Sep 23 12 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Disclaimer, never used it but Windows Movie Maker should do it.

Sep 23 12 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

studio36uk wrote:

In which case he might give this freeware a try - PhotoLapse 3

http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/ 

Sep 23 12 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Okay, I tried Photolapse 3 and it seems like a good one to work with, but I'm not sure what codec I should use for the output. 

I shot the images in JPG large, but resized all of them to 1920 x 1080.  I want to put the timelapse video into a short 1080p music video at 24fps.  I tried using one of the stock codecs with the program, but Adobe Premiere was running slow when I added it to the timeline. 

Which codec would be best for this?

I am not in a position to advise you on the choice of codec. There are just far too many codecs, video + audio in combination, and far too many underlying technical considerations including the container format, video stream format, audio stream format, bit rates, rendering intent, viewing method, cross compatibility, and many more. You may have to do a bit of experimenting to find something that you can live with.

Without meaning to sound flippant, you will have to find and use the one that works.

One place to start, however, is to install on your system a big[ish] codec pack like Klite and you can have some room to experiment. You would also be well served to get a transcoder app like "Super".

Keeping in mind that I am not producing or creating new video but working with existing stuff in infringement claims cases. I find myself sometimes having to take some [working] footage and transcoding it from "X", as I receive it, to "Y" to make it compatible with an editor and in a format so that I can work on it, then outputting it from the editor as "Z" format to take account of the end use, and, additionally, if writing a DVD/Blueray to display on a standard TV set [for use in court] then when writing the discs to transcode it again [usually the disc writing app will do this] into suitable formats for that output media and method. Unfortunately video is like that.

Studio36

EDIT: There are guys here that produce new works and hopefully one may jump in with some more helpful advice.

Sep 24 12 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Extrosy

In general, I prefer to render to mp4 / h.264 / high profile for any internet application.

Here's vimeo's suggestions if you are uploading to them.  Note these are not optimal for bluray/computer playback as the compression is high:
http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Youtube guidelines:
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/s … ic=1728588
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/s … e=guide.cs

Google has a lot of hits on this topic:
suggested video bitrate
best video bitrate

Add PAL to the criteria if you wish.

Sep 24 12 07:37 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Bump:

As Quicktime Pro is no longer supported for windows, and software changes from year to year.

For those photographers who are doing time-lapse photos, what software are you using to assemble.

Mar 03 17 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
Bump:

As Quicktime Pro is no longer supported for windows, and software changes from year to year.

For those photographers who are doing time-lapse photos, what software are you using to assemble.

I prefer using Adobe After Affects for it.  Not a problem if you have a subscription to CC but if you don't you can try it for 30 days free.

Mar 03 17 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

nwprophoto wrote:
Disclaimer, never used it but Windows Movie Maker should do it.

I have used it in combination with audacity, it works pretty well if you are not looking for high end menus, etc.

Mar 04 17 04:49 am Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

While not free, is anyone using LRTimelapse 4 or similar?

https://lrtimelapse.com/

Would prefer to avoid needing to go to Final Cut or Premier Pro

Mar 04 17 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

I use LR to process the images and once they're exported I use GoPro Studio to create the timelapse video. It's smart enough to recognize that a folder full of images is a timelapse. It's fairly powerful and can export very high resolution.

Mar 11 17 05:29 pm Link