Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Let's talk semi permanent lashes

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Melissa

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

A lot of my brides have been coming already with semi lashes on.  The local salons are doing them for 200-300$.  Have any of you freelancers thought about or already doing this as an added service.  I have looked on-line and there are a few site that sell "at home kits".  Any thoughts?

Mis

Sep 26 12 03:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

FacesByNiki

Germantown, Maryland, US

I've actually thought about taking a class for this but it's so expensive and here in Maryland you need a cosmetology license.

Sep 26 12 03:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Heather J M

London, England, United Kingdom

I've considered training in order to be able to remove those nasty little moth cadavers...

Sep 26 12 04:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jaime Criel Makeup

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm certified in lash extensions. It's extremely important to get training and certified instead of just ordering a kit off the internet. The glue and application tools are dangerous and you could look at a lawsuit if you do anything wrong. The training and kits are really expensive but pay off quickly if you really build your lash clientele. You really need a massage table for correct application, so unless you have a studio or plan to work at a salon, I'm not sure the investment is worth it.

Good luck!

Sep 26 12 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Bethany Souza

Pensacola, Florida, US

I know lots of people here who do it and since they only charge 150$-180$ they get tons of business.

Sep 26 12 07:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Heather J M wrote:
I've considered training in order to be able to remove those nasty little moth cadavers...

+1 Ha ha, so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like those things. So much easier to pop on a pair of falsies. Looks better, too. Think about the amazing skin care someone could purchase for the same amount of money...

Sep 26 12 10:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise Hutter MUA

Cary, North Carolina, US

I do the lash extensions and when I do makeup on my clients with them I protect the lashes so I don't get airbrush foundation on them and I still apply a strip lash over the natural + extended lashes....looks Great!  Doing extensions are a great way to make money during the week and I can move them around a bit if I need to do a commercial job

Sep 27 12 06:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

KC hmua

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Heather J M wrote:

Ahhhh some one else finally shares my wrath over these things...... 95% of the people that apply them here botch them up and they look horrible.

There are alternatives to them as well that are rapidly coming onto market. Currently i have in my arsenal fibre lash mascara that when applied looks just like false lashes and they wash off at the end of the night.

Sep 27 12 09:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty by Melissa

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

kat makeup artist  wrote:

Ahhhh some one else finally shares my wrath over these things...... 95% of the people that apply them here botch them up and they look horrible.

There are alternatives to them as well that are rapidly coming onto market. Currently i have in my arsenal fibre lash mascara that when applied looks just like false lashes and they wash off at the end of the night.

Oh....... what's the name of that product?

Sep 28 12 06:04 am Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Beauty by Melissa wrote:

Oh....... what's the name of that product?

From what I found on google, I'm guessing it's ModelCo's Fibre Lash Mascara.

Sep 28 12 11:04 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Heather J M wrote:

Hi,

Now they creep me out, I noticed it a couple years ago at another town where I lived. Where I am now it must be really popular.

Some ladies have so many on and others have them so long that it just seems out of propotion for everday life.

I considered them myself, until I saw them in the day to day of my coworkers...
Jen...how do they come off?
edit

Bethany Souza wrote:
I know lots of people here who do it and since they only charge 150$-180$ they get tons of business.

oh yeah, this is where I am now, (Honolulu) there is a near pandemic of those critters!

Sep 28 12 11:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lindsey Goldstein

Freehold, New Jersey, US

I just got trained in lashes and I love it. You do need training although the classes aren't the most amazing simply because you can't perfect it in a day class. I think you do the class for the most part to get your "Certification" and of course practice. But to get good at it, I mean really good where you can put a full set in an hour you have to practice, practice, practice. Here in NJ you can charge up to $350 for a full set if you do it well and quickly. I will say to other MUA's that of course the lashes are going to annoy you, esp. if they're not on right. Mainly though you're not really supposed to put mascara on lash extensions. The whole point of lash extensions is so the client won't have to continue to wear curl lashes/mascara everyday. The client will most likely find when they go to remove the mascara the lash extensions will come off as well. I would let the client know that, but they should know already!

Oct 07 12 09:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kelly Ager MakeupArtist

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

Heather J M wrote:

+100,000,000!! I've saw way more bad examples of these than good. They are TERRIBLE for your natural lashes and they look so bad on. Everytime a girl sits in my chair with these on, I do a quick little roll of my eyes. Lots of times the girls want false strip lashes OVER the semi's! Baffled!

Oct 08 12 04:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Simire MUA

Kelly Ager MUA wrote:
Lots of times the girls want false strip lashes OVER the semi's! Baffled!

Wow, scouse lasses are proper hardcore!

Oct 08 12 08:58 am Link

Model

Larisa Rachael

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

In Aus you can get them around $80, can't imagine paying $300 for something that only lasts a few weeks

Oct 21 12 10:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Kelly Ager MakeupArtist

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

Simire MUA wrote:

Wow, scouse lasses are proper hardcore!

Lol! They like to take things to the extreme!

Oct 22 12 08:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

JFord Creations Makeup

Hinesville, Georgia, US

Kelly Ager MUA wrote:

The one's that cost over $100 arent supposed to come off until the natural lash sheds. There's a big difference between, lash extensions (the single lashes) and semi-permanent (the cluster of lashes) if you buy the right glue.

I didnt care for the lash extensions which shed with your lashes but i do like the semi-permanent clusters. just my preference.

Also i am waiting until I get back to the states in order to take the training in person. I've seen the online courses, I didnt have guts to do it.

Oct 29 12 04:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Simire MUA

Kelly Ager MUA wrote:

I know......have witnessed the 'scouse brow' up close and personal. The imagery is still a very vivid memory! lol

Oct 29 12 11:00 am Link