Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Foundation that's best for skin

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I've been breaking out lately. It comes and goes, but isn't seeming to go away totally.

I decided to stop wearing foundation on my whole face, and just use it as concealer and blend where I really need it. Then I break out and need to use more, and feel like the makeup is making me break out.

Keeping in mind that I can't afford anything other than drug-store stuff, what is a foundation that is best for the skin, or least likely to contribute to break outs?

I'd like to be able to get high quality stuff, but I really can't right now, so as great as it is, suggesting it won't help.

Oct 04 12 10:59 pm Link

Model

zierlich

San Antonio, Texas, US

This is what I do smile

Wash my Face with Cold Water and soap [Doubt it matters what kind of soap]
[it will minimize your pores so they are less susceptible to clogging with the
make-up]

I Use

"Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse"

Its about $8-10 drug store price, and I tend to find coupons in the newspaper.

I apply my make-up with a cotton ball.
I prefer not to use sponges, they tend to be a bit pricey and I wouldn't want to
re-use them.

Powder foundation I've used Maybelline Mineral Power Foundation/ Finishing Veil.
I Also Clean my "powder brushes" about 3 times a week depending on usage.

Both products have yet to result in break outs and don't leave my skin oily.

Another thing that helps, I scrub my face with a bath mitt/pad once a week to get rid of all the dead skin.

Hope that helped a bit!

Oct 04 12 11:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

Please, do NOT wash your face with soap. Ever.

To control and cover acne on the CHEAP:

Never, ever, ever, touch your face with your hands unless you are washing it. Wash your hands with soap before washing your face to keep from transferring bacteria. Anything that touches your face (cleansing brush, tweezers, makeup brushes) should be cleansed before EVERY use. Buy a stack of cheap washcloths and use a clean one every time you wash your face. This may all seem extreme, but when fighting acne, it doesn't hurt.

Keep your products simple. Focus on the number of ingredients in them, not how natural & organic they are. Natural/organic type products are full of plant derivatives, which are strong and can be more irritating than synthetics.

To keep it cheap, I'd wash with Cetaphil & a drugstore version of the Clarisonic, use Neutrogena's All in One acne & wrinkle cream (salicylic acid), Clean & Clear's spot treatment (higher than usual BP), and an oil-free moisturizer. All that twice daily, in that order.

For makeup, Cinema Secrets or Graftobian HD or Mehron is as cheap as drugstore foundation per gram/oz. And waaay easier on the skin as you can use less so you end up wearing more makeup and that also makes it even cheaper.

Oct 05 12 09:39 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Makeup by Dani B wrote:
Please, do NOT wash your face with soap. Ever.

To control and cover acne on the CHEAP:

Never, ever, ever, touch your face with your hands unless you are washing it. Wash your hands with soap before washing your face to keep from transferring bacteria. Anything that touches your face (cleansing brush, tweezers, makeup brushes) should be cleansed before EVERY use. Buy a stack of cheap washcloths and use a clean one every time you wash your face. This may all seem extreme, but when fighting acne, it doesn't hurt.

Keep your products simple. Focus on the number of ingredients in them, not how natural & organic they are. Natural/organic type products are full of plant derivatives, which are strong and can be more irritating than synthetics.

To keep it cheap, I'd wash with Cetaphil & a drugstore version of the Clarisonic, use Neutrogena's All in One acne & wrinkle cream (salicylic acid), Clean & Clear's spot treatment (higher than usual BP), and an oil-free moisturizer. All that twice daily, in that order.

For makeup, Cinema Secrets or Graftobian HD or Mehron is as cheap as drugstore foundation per gram/oz. And waaay easier on the skin as you can use less so you end up wearing more makeup and that also makes it even cheaper.

Good for me, I already do a lot of this. Never touch face without washing my hands with antibacterial soap, wash tools, new washcloths, Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. I've been using a salicylic spot treatment, but I can try the other kind since I'm out anyway. Do I really need to use anti-wrinkle stuff now?

I would think my skin would be better, though sad

I actually work at a costume shop, which has a TON of professional makeup. Mehron, Graftobian, Ben Nye, etc. I wasn't sure if they were really recommended for daily use, and I know they're a bit more of a process to use.

Can you recommend a good starting point for it? I only know the stage/special effect side of it.

Oct 05 12 12:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Heather J M

London, England, United Kingdom

Good skin health comes primarily from within. Switch all your fluid intake to water and eat as many fruit and fresh vegetables as you can.

Incidentally, soap is often fine on your skin. I've met many people with amazing skin who use soap. Personally I am currently only using water and a muslin cloth - my diet is crappy so my skin is currently prone to breakouts.

Oct 05 12 03:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Danielle Blazer

Los Angeles, California, US

The reason I don't like soap on skin is that a lot of them have fragrances and things that can be additionally irritating to skin that is already inflamed by acne.smile

Even though the name says "anti wrinkle" on it, it's the salicylic acid in the product you want. SA fights both acne and wrinkles, they just don't mention this on most acne products with SA because they are marketed to teens.

To apply pro cream foundations for daily use you can use a stippling type foundation brush and apply lightly, or wet a cosmetic sponge or Beauty Blender and apply. If you spray the stippling brush with water it will sheer down the foundation even more. Real Techniques makes a decent stippling brush fairly cheap.

Oct 05 12 04:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Wigs and Makeup Allison

Costa Mesa, California, US

As stupid as this may sound, you may also want to clean handheld items you use a lot, especially your cell phone.  I have had several students who were breaking out around their chin, and cleaning the grunge off their cell phone every couple of days really seemed to help.
I know that doesn't answer the foundation question, but it may help!!! :-)

Oct 05 12 08:29 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Heather J M wrote:
Good skin health comes primarily from within. Switch all your fluid intake to water and eat as many fruit and fresh vegetables as you can.

I already do that.

Wigs and Makeup Allison wrote:
As stupid as this may sound, you may also want to clean handheld items you use a lot, especially your cell phone.  I have had several students who were breaking out around their chin, and cleaning the grunge off their cell phone every couple of days really seemed to help.
I know that doesn't answer the foundation question, but it may help!!! :-)

It's not stupid! I realized that a while ago. We don't ever think to clean our phones, which means they're probably pretty dirty. I have a microfiber cloth that gets rid of the oils, and I disinfect it every once in a while.

Oct 05 12 09:31 pm Link